Need advice on a portable vape. Pinnacle Pro, Solo, or...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

I am looking to buy my first portable vape. I was thinking about the new Pinnacle Pro. The Arizer Solo and Ploom Pax also caught my eye. I am really open.

Price isn't a big deal. Around $250 I guess. Stealthiness isn't too important either although it does need to be durable and somewhat pocket friendly. Simple is probably best. Temperature control isn't a big deal to me although I would like the vape to do oils and herbs. I will probably be using herb 90 percent of the time. I would like something I can take a quick rip from, then put in my pocket, then take it out five minutes later for another quick rip. Something that doesn't keep vaping the herb when I'm not. I'm a super heavy user so it should be really easy to clean. I would like something I can pack once and it will last for a long time. I don't want to keep repacking the bowl after every two or three hits. Would like something that doesn't burn the herb. For some reason I hate the idea of metal heating elements. Something ceramic maybe. It would be nice to be able to operate while plugged in. Replaceable batteries would be even better like something that ran on AAs. Would really like it to be designed in the USA. California if possible.

First I was looking at the Pax. It seamed like it wasn't efficient enough or easy enough to clean. Then I was checking out the Solo which seams pretty close to what I am looking for. Biggest problem is they are Canadian and I'm trying to support local. Now I'm looking at the Pinnacle Pro. I think the heating element is metal instead of ceramic. It is also too new.

What should I do? Should I settle for a Pinnacle Pro, Solo, or is there something better for me?

Last edited:

vape4health

Me too.
Only thing that I have personally used similar to that is the MFLB. The one hit thing kills most on the list. Check out concentrates too, amazing for them one hit wonders, no heat up no cool down just bam.

Welcome to the forum.

samirfuzzywuzzy

Id say go for the solo. It has a great reputation in its thread. It has so many optional accessories now available and people are always doing some thing to make it better. As far as local support, I my self support US and Canadian products. The Solo with a Power adapter for home/stationary use will give better results then the other 2. There is now a mobile power adapter available also so you can power up in all 12v environments. The battery is on the solo is going to be better then the other 2 also. If your looking for flavor the solo has a decent amount of glass right where it counts.

I would rate the 3 you have selected in this order
1. solo
2. pinnacle pro
3. pax

max

Out to lunch
For some reason I hate the idea of metal heating elements.
The only current metal element I can think of is the nichome wire, and I don't know of any manuf. using it in the vapor path. The only model I can think of that still uses it is the Vapolution, and that model has a 100% glass vapor path with their 'glass straw' bowl (AIW bowl). It doesn't get any cleaner than that.

Something that doesn't keep vaping the herb when I'm not.
Can't think of a single pocket vape without a metal heating chamber (the bowl isn't the heating element), and that's always going to mean there's some conduction going on when the unit is at vaping temp.

Would really like it to be made in the USA. California if possible.
That's going to trim your list down to .... maybe nothing. It's not where the product is made that's important. What matters is who designs and makes it and how good their QC is.

IMO the vape that meets all your requirements doesn't exist yet. You'll need to compromise somewhere. The Solo is a solid model, but it's not a pocket vape, instead more of a cross between pocket vape and home AC unit.

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
Price isn't a big deal. Around $250 I guess. Stealthiness isn't too important either although it does need to be durable and somewhat pocket friendly. Simple is probably best. Temperature control isn't a big deal to me although I would like the vape to do oils and herbs. I will probably be using herb 90 percent of the time. I would like something I can take a quick rip from, then put in my pocket, then take it out five minutes later for another quick rip. Something that doesn't keep vaping the herb when I'm not. I'm a super heavy user so it should be really easy to clean. I would like something I can pack once and it will last for a long time. I don't want to keep repacking the bowl after every two or three hits. Would like something that doesn't burn the herb. For some reason I hate the idea of metal heating elements. Something ceramic maybe. It would be nice to be able to operate while plugged in. Replaceable batteries would be even better like something that ran on AAs. Would really like it to be made in the USA. California if possible.

First I was looking at the Pax. It seamed like it wasn't efficient enough or easy enough to clean. Then I was checking out the Solo which seams pretty close to what I am looking for. Biggest problem is they are Canadian and I'm trying to support local. Now I'm looking at the Pinnacle Pro. I think the heating element is metal instead of ceramic. It is also too new.
One option is the Cera with a loose leaf cartridge (and an oil cart if you wanted). It hits many of the points you're looking for better than many vapes, though it misses on some:

The Cera has an all-ceramic vapor path (as clean as glass)
Cost $300 for herbs only (plus $100 to add the oil cart)
Has manual temperature control (controlled by breath speed)
Difficult to combust, I used to manage it back when I was using pre-ground MFLB herb with it and I think some was actually falling through the tiny holes and getting pulled back up. Switched to a fluffy Mendo grind and I haven't had trouble since.
Operates nearly on pure convection so it won't cook your herbs in your pocket and can make a bowl last a long time
Features top-class cleanability (you can soak the whole cartridge in alcohol and/or boil in water. For routine cleaning of the LL cart though, a quick wipe while warm is plenty effective!)
Made in California (supporting local)
Easily removable/replaceable batteries (runs on 18650s)

One downside is that it's heavy for its size due to the ceramic construction (~12oz, unless you pay 2x for titanium then it's ~8oz), as well as being large (hard to call it a pen. 6" length and 1" diameter). It'll fit in your pocket, but you're going to want to wear a belt…
It doesn't deliver instant vapor, so you'd be pulling it out and giving it 15-25 seconds to heat up.
The other common complaint with the Cera is the way it holds onto heat. The ceramic is an excellent insulator, meaning that while it takes a bit to heat up, it also takes a bit to cool down. If you pull it out for one hit, put it in your pocket, then come back 5 minutes later, you'll find that the heat in the coil has slowly migrated to the handle. If you take another hit then and come back 5 mins later, it might be very warm. Another session after that and it might be hot? I haven't tested this particular "rhythm" of usage; I tend to go for one good session and then I'm done for a while.
Also, the ceramic is not indestructible. Certainly more durable than a ceramic coffee cup, as it uses top-of-the-line zirconia ceramic, but you'll still want to baby it.

If none of those downsides are a deal-breaker for you… The Cera loose leaf cartridge and oil cartridge both deliver fantastic performance. A power adapter isn't presently available but one forum member has built his own and I wouldn't be surprised to see one available to purchase in the near future from a third party accessory maker.

EDIT: Looking at your post again, the MFLB does fit a lot of your criteria really well too. Won't cook in your pocket even though it's conduction based, made in Cali, durable, pocket friendly, AA batteries, and it can't be touched for quick stealthy rips.

For $80 you can get a fantastic power adapter that makes it a nice little plug-in unit. If you can get over the metal heating element, it's a really great vape. Easier to combust with than Cera but it's all technique and cure dependent, the beast can be tamed.

It does have a little oil tray now that reportedly works great, but you're going to want the power adapter to use that, and you have to be sure not to shake the box like you normally would. It's useful and functional but nowhere near something like the Cera oil cart.

One downside is that its wood construction means it's not cleanable enough to take on a plane, but if you only feed it dry herb then the build up and retained smell is very minimal.

Last edited:

Andy

Almost went with Pax. Sounds like a fun vape. Loved the super simple design. Cera looked pretty good too. After following the Pinnacle Pro thread from the start I finally bit and ordered one with the wt attachment and a couple extra bullets. I was pleased with all the positive reviews. I just hope it produces an okay flavor. Price with fc discount was only like $310 which is not bad imo. Thanks for everyone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom