• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Sapphire and Ruby inserts for bangers

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
I wonder why they are so inexpensive?? Shame it won't fit a high quality banger like 710Coils with the thick sidewalls.

Pretty sweet that the cool down time is only just over a minute vs 3:30mins for constant gems rubies, however perhaps this is due to a lesser/thinner quality of ruby?

Thickness/total mass would definitely play a factor, but I think the biggest source of the discrepency is they don't tell you what temp you're cooling down to. It looks like GG is advocating for a hotter hit than Constant is.

biohacker

Thickness/total mass would definitely play a factor, but I think the biggest source of the discrepency is they don't tell you what temp you're cooling down to. It looks like GG is advocating for a hotter hit than Constant is.

That explains the shorter cool down time and the 600f they suggest with an IR!

biohacker,
Reactions: Roth

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
600 is way too hot, kind of defeats the whole point of the ruby insert to begin with!

pghjd

I wonder why they are so inexpensive?? Shame it won't fit a high quality banger like 710Coils with the thick sidewalls.

Pretty sweet that the cool down time is only just over a minute vs 3:30mins for constant gems rubies, however perhaps this is due to a lesser/thinner quality of ruby?
Pretty much all ruby/sapphire inserts are lab made gemswhich have little to no jewlery value and the price is over inflated by american sellers. Its only costs them like $20 to make and they sell them for 300

tylerj55

I got one of the ruby inserts from Greek Glass and it has a bunch of cracks in it, even though I have followed all of the instructions. I wouldn’t be able to recommend them because of this, although the v2 does look a lot better.

jamesvally

How long did it take to receive your sapphire insert from Greek glass? Just wondering because I'm on the edge about ordering. But really want to try sapphire!!!

jamesvally,

pghjd

I got one of the ruby inserts from Greek Glass and it has a bunch of cracks in it, even though I have followed all of the instructions. I wouldn’t be able to recommend them because of this, although the v2 does look a lot better.
Rubies crack if you don't heat them completely evenly. Ruby is not quartz and it will experience thermal shock. It's why i just prefer quartz inserts

pghjd

Curious, which ones? Clear or opaque? Do you do drop tech or heat your banger with them inside already?
Ruby inserts HAVE to be heated with the banger or they just break and there is no performance difference between polished and unpolished ruby. Its a cosmetic thing

biohacker

Ruby inserts HAVE to be heated with the banger or they just break and there is no performance difference between polished and unpolished ruby. Its a cosmetic thing

Yeah I know all that, but I was asking about your quartz inserts ;)

biohacker,

biohacker

I prefer opaque an I heat it with the banger because i just use it to keep the banger clean longer. I like uptemp dabs but not enough to do drop ins every time lol

Totally feel you, i've actually started cold starts and regular cool down dabs most of the time just to save some time and get a more intense dab experience. But I assume you use an e-nail?

biohacker,

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
I prefer opaque an I heat it with the banger because i just use it to keep the banger clean longer. I like uptemp dabs but not enough to do drop ins every time lol
Fully opaque or just an opaque floor? Gotta link for the one you like most?

nosmoking,
Reactions: biohacker

tylerj55

1000X better polish! :lol:

Curious, what did you pay for yours?

That new polish makes me want to try it again!! I paid $60, so I’m not terribly upset about it cracking.

How long did it take to receive your sapphire insert from Greek glass? Just wondering because I'm on the edge about ordering. But really want to try sapphire!!!

I ordered on New Years Eve so it didn’t ship until 1/2, but it seems like he normally ships out a lot faster. Two days from when he shipped it out.

Rubies crack if you don't heat them completely evenly. Ruby is not quartz and it will experience thermal shock. It's why i just prefer quartz inserts

Yeah I made sure to heat it evenly and slowly as I have the d-nail sapphire halo still in perfect shape after like 3-4 years. The problem is the walls were uneven widths and after about two dabs the first crack formed.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Shhh! Stop it! I finally got my self to stop stalking their etsy page about 3 weeks ago. I have been extremely interested in their smaller full opaque insert. And that damn sapphire insert for $50 is gonna be my next obsession that I just cannot afford right now. And there was an $80 ruby insert I think at one point but it may have been too small. The perfect size insert for my banger line-up is 17-18mm OD.

@tylerj55 and @pghjd Can you heat a ruby insert from the bottom up? Can it be heated from room temp to 450ish in around a minute or would that cause thermal shock do you think?

@tylerj55 Do you feel like doing a science project for us if you don't mind possibly sacrificing whatever is left of your cracked ruby insert? If so, shoot me a PM and I will send you the details.

Last edited:
nosmoking,
Reactions: biohacker

pghjd

Shhh! Stop it! I finally got my self to stop stalking their etsy page about 3 weeks ago. I have been extremely interested in their smaller full opaque insert. And that damn sapphire insert for $50 is gonna be my next obsession that I just cannot afford right now. And there was an $80 ruby insert I think at one point but it may have been too small. The perfect size insert for my banger line-up is 17-18mm OD.

@tylerj55 and @pghjd Can you heat a ruby insert from the bottom up? Can it be heated from room temp to 450ish in around a minute or would that cause thermal shock do you think?

@tylerj55 Do you feel like doing a science project for us if you don't mind possibly sacrificing whatever is left of your cracked ruby insert? If so, shoot me a PM and I will send you the details.
Don't continuously heat one spot. You want to keep moving the torch so you can get the whole thing to heat up as evenly as you can then let it cool for a good 2 minutes. Ruby inserts aren't for taking a quick dab, they're for taking a tasty one.

Top Bottom