Sapphire and Ruby inserts for bangers

The different size of the dish surfaces and the different heat mass make a difference for sure.

All these prices for SiC, ruby and sapphire inserts and pearls are going crazy. I refuse to pay those crazy prices. I'm still hoping @710Coils Shane will offer them himself in the nearer future for a much fairer and reasonable price. I asked a SWISS (!) producer for making ruby inserts some times ago and his guess was around €100-150 per insert for one fitting a 25 mm banger (no mass order!) so it seems possible to offer a high quality Chinese one with a good margin of profit for much less than $200.
And if not ruby or sapphire I hope Shane will offer pearls and inserts out of SiC at least

just curious...what would you pay for a synthetic ruby grown in here in the USA and machined in house? Q.C. photos of each gemstone from seed to insert. Would you pay more for material analysis?

Ultimately, I don't trust China to perform a process that potentially involves lead oxide that eventually is going to be heated past oven temperatures and inhaled. As far as I am concerned, Russia isn't a beacon of responsibility and safety and not "thailand" either.

Not one of these companies is vertically integrated...nor publishes any post production analysis... no one is being transparent and until someone tells me otherwise I am willing to bet there's lead in some of these inserts. I am using the document:
Separating Natural and Synthetic Rubies on the Basis of Trace-Element Chemistry by S. Muhlmeister
paraphrasing: If the flux method is used; then the type of flux material can be seen in the synthetic ruby in trace amounts, one of which is lead!

With no transparency or until I hear otherwise I am concerned. OSHA doesn't dab so we are all just using our best intuition here. Any true medical patients I would recommend use Ti or Quartz until you know more.

Last edited:
helpoverthere,
Reactions: Hogni

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
Ruby and Sapphire basically "taste" and act like the same from my sightings but Ruby is UV reactive and changes color with temperature,
why one would pay even more for blue/green/yellow whatever is propably just a heady tag...@shooby once said the same,
what would be more interesting is that he also said the best "working" one would be the frozen sapphire cuz it kinda acts like a opaque iirc :)

gunmetalshark,
Reactions: Hogni
Ruby and Sapphire basically "taste" and act like the same from my sightings but Ruby is UV reactive and changes color with temperature,
why one would pay even more for blue/green/yellow whatever is propably just a heady tag...@shooby once said the same,
what would be more interesting is that he also said the best "working" one would be the frozen sapphire cuz it kinda acts like a opaque iirc :)

agreed on the opaque. I think the best functioning will either be frosted dark red (ruby) on one end of the wavelength spectra, or frosted ultraviolet / indigo at the opposite end.

still holding off on even touching mine till i know more :[

Last edited:
helpoverthere,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Ultimately, I don't trust China to perform a process that potentially involves lead oxide that eventually is going to be heated past oven temperatures and inhaled.

Your dabbing a bit too hot if your gemstones start vaporizing. :D

They aren't porous, seems like a non issue to me. I could never suggest a medical patient to use a titanium nail over this, and I was dabbing when Ti nails came out. For me, I can taste the difference in inertness between Ti, Quartz, SiC, and Ruby. Ti is especially harsh IMO.

Your dabbing a bit too hot if your gemstones start vaporizing. :D

They aren't porous, seems like a non issue to me. I could never suggest a medical patient to use a titanium nail over this, and I was dabbing when Ti nails came out. For me, I can taste the difference in inertness between Ti, Quartz, SiC, and Ruby. Ti is especially harsh IMO.

it wouldn't require you to sublime the entire gemstone to off gas would it? even if it was completely non-porous. regardless, I sincerely doubt these synthetics are made via flux with lead however we have no clue...

personally Ti isn't more "harsh" than other surfaces at the same temperatures, it just tastes like shit.

wasn't somebody claiming constant gems rubies aren't even rubies?

regardless, I have more trust in raw Ti w/ medical cert and TiO3 than I do "ruby". At least it has some modicum of transparency.

i work in internal medicine: I'm not a geologist, just a resident, but I see enough lead poisoning to tell you it sucks.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
it wouldn't require you to sublime the entire gemstone to off gas would it? even if it was completely non-porous

It needs porosity for offgassing fumes to escape, otherwise they would be trapped in a hermetically sealed crystalline matrix.

invertedisdead,
It needs porosity for offgassing fumes to escape, otherwise they would be trapped in a hermetically sealed crystalline matrix.

Am I not understanding this correctly? in the matrix it would require porosity to escape, yes. However, isn't the makeup the same inside the matrix as outside on the surface?

wouldn't the surface composition offgas and not be contained?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Am I not understanding this correctly? in the matrix it would require porosity to escape, yes. However, isn't the makeup the same inside the matrix as outside on the surface?

wouldn't the surface composition offgas and not be contained?

Maybe you are right man... doing some more reading, seeing numbers like 40-60%+ lead glass in some of these stones... :|

I may sacrifice my Constant Gems insert to the lemon juice test and then document it for all of social media...

Maybe you are right man... doing some more reading, seeing numbers like 40-60%+ lead glass in some of these stones... :|

I may sacrifice my Constant Gems insert to the lemon juice test and then document it for all of social media...

same...not what I wanted. I am in love with ruby and sapph performance. If you decide to go that route please keep me updated so I can see it.

do you have any beads from constant that are ruby? I think I might be able to find one. If its ruby it should pass this "acid test" fine right? So no harm no foul. If it isn't ruby, should you be dabbing off it? I say sacrafice it.

have you tried scratching quartz with the insert? should scratch the quartz np.

I will do my own. Immerse in lemon juice for 48 hours and then torch it? I'm going to heat mine in a banger rather than direct fire.

Last edited:

pghjd

just curious...what would you pay for a synthetic ruby grown in here in the USA and machined in house? Q.C. photos of each gemstone from seed to insert. Would you pay more for material analysis?

Ultimately, I don't trust China to perform a process that potentially involves lead oxide that eventually is going to be heated past oven temperatures and inhaled. As far as I am concerned, Russia isn't a beacon of responsibility and safety and not "thailand" either.

Not one of these companies is vertically integrated...nor publishes any post production analysis... no one is being transparent and until someone tells me otherwise I am willing to bet there's lead in some of these inserts. I am using the document:
Separating Natural and Synthetic Rubies on the Basis of Trace-Element Chemistry by S. Muhlmeister
paraphrasing: If the flux method is used; then the type of flux material can be seen in the synthetic ruby in trace amounts, one of which is lead!

With no transparency or until I hear otherwise I am concerned. OSHA doesn't dab so we are all just using our best intuition here. Any true medical patients I would recommend use Ti or Quartz until you know more.
You wouldn't have a choice but to pay more. It's expensive to manufacture in the US. They would have to be priced in the adapt tech range or higher for the person to make a good profit if made in the US due added costs associated with material analysis, labor, and quality control. Fadespace is a good example because his products are manufacture in the us and have been through material analysis from and independent lab to get medical appproval their $120. If he made them in china without the analysis he could probably sell them for like $30.

You wouldn't have a choice but to pay more. It's expensive to manufacture in the US. They would have to be priced in the adapt tech range or higher for the person to make a good profit if made in the US due added costs associated with material analysis, labor, and quality control. Fadespace is a good example because his products are manufacture in the us and have been through material analysis from and independent lab to get medical appproval their $120. If he made them in china without the analysis he could probably sell them for like $30.

it absolutely would cost more, I was intending to ask, would you personally pay it?

helpoverthere,

pghjd

hm, ok. I wonder if there's enough interest to do it. Seems possible.
There's definitely a market for it. The people who shop with adapt tech would probably jump ship in a heartbeat for something American made. Especially those people who jump down ppls throats for using china glass.

pghjd,

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
@biohacker what inserts are you using with your 30mm 710coil bangers? Is it just the greek glass one? I recall you saying that cracked and you weren't into the company and their cs, who else is a good option? Unless I'm remembering that wrong, I get confused going between some of these threads sometimes. I'd love to get a sapphire (or ruby) one for under $100, I just keep seeing ruby ones I'm not sure will fit for hundreds of dollars. I do see some sapphire inserts on constant gems for 24-25mm bangers, not sure what works with my 30mm though.

Also I saw posts saying they're bashing other companies, not 710coils right? That'd be a deal breaker for me...

pghjd

@biohacker what inserts are you using with your 30mm 710coil bangers? Is it just the greek glass one? I recall you saying that cracked and you weren't into the company and their cs, who else is a good option? Unless I'm remembering that wrong, I get confused going between some of these threads sometimes. I'd love to get a sapphire (or ruby) one for under $100, I just keep seeing ruby ones I'm not sure will fit for hundreds of dollars. I do see some sapphire inserts on constant gems for 24-25mm bangers, not sure what works with my 30mm though.

Also I saw posts saying they're bashing other companies, not 710coils right? That'd be a deal breaker for me...
The only company greek has had a problem with is constant gems. They sell inserts from the same manufacturer but constant charges 3x the price or more. At this point though every insert manufacturer from adapt tech to fadespace has said something about them, so greek's not alone on that. There is nobody except greek who sells gemstone inserts for less than $100. I've only made one purchase with greek myself but I haven't had an issue so far so I can't really comment on the CS.

Last edited:

biohacker

25mm bangers dude..... I sold my 30mm. Are you SURE you want to stick with your 30mm setup? Very expensive to go 22mm+ and I personally prefer 24mm for the insert, which is big bucks. Maybe down the road one day, but not really necessary for my tiny dabs.

I have 2 Greek Glass 17mm sapphire's (one I shocked) and 2 Rubies preordered ($75). I don't like the guy because he screwed me over which ended up costing me $110. But he's got some pretty cheap prices, and i'm happy with my sapphires, even though they may have lead in them apparently lol

I also bought a 18mm sapphire and 18mm prestige ruby with a 20% discount from Constant Gems. Ripoff but at least they have the stock.

I'm thinking about also buying the sapphire on sale at Adapt Tech, just to have a taste of russian grown, and perhaps feel safer?

I'll likely be selling some after I figure out what I like and want to keep.

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
25mm bangers dude..... I sold my 30mm. Are you SURE you want to stick with your 30mm setup? Very expensive to go 22mm+ and I personally prefer 24mm for the insert, which is big bucks. Maybe down the road one day, but not really necessary for my tiny dabs.

I have 2 Greek Glass 17mm sapphire's (one I shocked) and 2 Rubies preordered ($75). I don't like the guy because he screwed me over which ended up costing me $110. But he's got some pretty cheap prices, and i'm happy with my sapphires, even though they may have lead in them apparently lol

I also bought a 18mm sapphire and 18mm prestige ruby with a 20% discount from Constant Gems. Ripoff but at least they have the stock.

I'm thinking about also buying the sapphire on sale at Adapt Tech, just to have a taste of russian grown, and perhaps feel safer?

Ugh... I've been thinking about getting a 25mm banger a lot lately, but I'd only be doing it for sapphire/ruby inserts so I want to figure out what I'm doing with that first. Banger and coil will be from 710coils for sure so that's set. Messing with this stuff is expensive...

pghjd

Ugh... I've been thinking about getting a 25mm banger a lot lately, but I'd only be doing it for sapphire/ruby inserts so I want to figure out what I'm doing with that first. Banger and coil will be from 710coils for sure so that's set. Messing with this stuff is expensive...
I hear that. You can easily spend $100+ on equipment you end up hating when it comes to concentrates.

exmex

The only company greek has had a problem with is constant gems. They sell inserts from the same manufacturer but constant charges 3x the price or more. At this point though every insert manufacturer from adapt tech to fadespace has said something about them, so greek's not alone on that. There is nobody except greek who sells gemstone inserts for less than $100. I've only made one purchase with greek myself but I haven't had an issue so far so I can't really comment on the CS.
Funny this morning Constant was live on ig with dabbin_grandma and Greek posted to his stories to check them out? Maybe because dabbin_grandma was failing to get a good dab off the ruby insert from Constant? I dunno but theres that.

Last year around this time the crazz and talk in these forums was all about those 25mm bangers being the perfect size for dabbin and i agree wit that. Tho i do want a 30mm banger and coil for bigger inserts because i like the big dabs :brow: @biohaker how did u get ripped off? I pulled the trigger last night on one of those 75$ ruby inserts just because, well come on! the price is right! whats another 75 to the thousands ive spent so far on dabbin equipment :rolleyes:

Very expensive! 710coils is awesome tho and a pleasure to deal with! Ive been dabbin off sapphire for a year now and its love it! I'm the envy of all my dabbin friends:cool:

I hear that. You can easily spend $100+ on equipment you end up hating when it comes to concentrates.
It can happen but lots of research, reading and posting on this forum will definitely help minimize unnecessary spending.

pghjd

Funny this morning Constant was live on ig with dabbin_grandma and Greek posted to his stories to check them out? Maybe because dabbin_grandma was failing to get a good dab off the ruby insert from Constant? I dunno but theres that.

Last year around this time the crazz and talk in these forums was all about those 25mm bangers being the perfect size for dabbin and i agree wit that. Tho i do want a 30mm banger and coil for bigger inserts because i like the big dabs :brow: @biohaker how did u get ripped off? I pulled the trigger last night on one of those 75$ ruby inserts just because, well come on! the price is right! whats another 75 to the thousands ive spent so far on dabbin equipment :rolleyes:

Very expensive! 710coils is awesome tho and a pleasure to deal with! Ive been dabbin off sapphire for a year now and its love it! I'm the envy of all my dabbin friends:cool:

It can happen but lots of research, reading and posting on this forum will definitely help minimize unnecessary spending.
You should watch the rest of his stories after that lol. His next 5 slides was him calling them out

Top Bottom