Nails, bangers, honey buckets, etc. What´s the best one???

dabmaster

Hi, this is my first post. I´d lke to know how is the best way of dabbing. I´ve had a titanium nail since I lost it and I´ll take another piece.

herbivore21

Hi, this is my first post. I´d lke to know how is the best way of dabbing. I´ve had a titanium nail since I lost it and I´ll take another piece.
Ok, there are about to be more new options than ever but here is the key question to start us off.

Do you use it as an enail, or with a torch?

If torch, silicon carbide, no question - it is the best tasting, most durable (harder than titanium, doesn't degrade with torching over time like titanium, should last a lifetime if not smashed with serious force).

If enail, at the moment silicon carbide is the best, but I'd recommend the sapphire insert too! The quartz halo dish I am unsure about yet (will have used and have thoughts soon), but knowing what I know now about quartz degradation and torch temps, I wouldn't use quartz as a torch nail unless it was super ultra cheap quartz. Even then, I'd avoid quartz for torching (you guys ought to see how my deep dish banger looked after 6 months of torch cleaning), SiC is much, much better.

I'd also consider the upcoming sapphire halo if you have an enail and want the very best tasting, most baller setup possible! Still, remember that this cannot be torched, it is enails only.

Basically, atm the safest best bet for all usage cases is Silicon carbide.

weenstoned

Ya I would just like to suggest a thick quartz banger if you're just starting out and don't want to drop a ton of money. You can get them for under $20 on DHGate so even if you replace them every 6 months it will still take a while to equal the cost of a fancier nail type. Lots of other nail shapes are basically just companies trying to come up with their unique product, but most are at least a bit bangeresque. If you look around Instagram at high end glass if they're not using an e-nail it's usually a banger. Also if you wipe out excess oil with a q-tip after each dab this will keep the banger cleaner and you won't have to torch clean that much.

I have this one and it has been going strong for a few months though I mostly use my e-nail.
http://www.dhgate.com/product/3mm-thick-quartz-banger-nail-female10mm-ground/233827551.html

herbivore21

Ya I would just like to suggest a thick quartz banger if you're just starting out and don't want to drop a ton of money. You can get them for under $20 on DHGate so even if you replace them every 6 months it will still take a while to equal the cost of a fancier nail type. Lots of other nail shapes are basically just companies trying to come up with their unique product, but most are at least a bit bangeresque. If you look around Instagram at high end glass if they're not using an e-nail it's usually a banger. Also if you wipe out excess oil with a q-tip after each dab this will keep the banger cleaner and you won't have to torch clean that much.

I have this one and it has been going strong for a few months though I mostly use my e-nail.
http://www.dhgate.com/product/3mm-thick-quartz-banger-nail-female10mm-ground/233827551.html
I would agree; if you can't afford something more expensive right now consider just picking up cheap quartz or tastier still (but slightly less durable than quartz), ceramic to start with (domeless.com can help you out here).

However, if you are someone who has dabbed a while, knows that dabbing is for them and has enough money to spend to buy something that should last a lifetime and provides the best possible taste except for sapphire (which is absolutely not torch friendly!), but at a fraction of the cost and can be torched - go for SiC!

By the way, I have used my SiC dish with a torch quite a bit recently, it shines more for torch use than enail usage potentially, as it is much more forgiving if you dab too hot (taste doesn't get awful until you are much hotter compared to other materials), and the dish heats super evenly even if you just focus the torch flame on one part of it due to better heat distribution than any other nail material. SiC also provides better low temp dabs (say goodbye to vapor trails!), more evenness/speed of vaporization and a denser, finer aerosol (vapor):

I would recommend skipping past the cheaper nails and just grabbing the SiC with a cheap matching ti base. The d-nail 1.3 base is what I'd recommend right now, although I'm sure safe infiniti knock-offs are available somewhere and that these could be an option too (I understand why people don't wanna spend the cost of a legit infiniti, especially when all they need is a titanium base lol).

Also get the universal carb 2.0 with a threaded rod handle or dabber (unless you have an OG HE carb cap sitting around, the dabbers on them have the same thread, that's what I used!). A properly designed carb for the nail in question with the right pressure/airflow design (this one uses an angled inlet hole for a vortexing airflow) is crucial to get the most out of any domeless nail!

EDIT: Weenstoned is right on the money on cleaning quartz nails regularly with iso and q tip after your dabs too, less build up of residue = less need to torch.

herbivore21,
Reactions: pigfoot

weenstoned

Actually I don't even use iso. Just a dry Qtip rub shortly after the dab. Doesn't get it completely clean but mostly keeps your banger from becoming a black mess.

But ya if you know that you love dabbing you may want to drop more cash up front.

herbivore21

Actually I don't even use iso. Just a dry Qtip rub shortly after the dab. Doesn't get it completely clean but mostly keeps your banger from becoming a black mess.

But ya if you know that you love dabbing you may want to drop more cash up front.
Makes sense for sure man, in fact probably more sense than using iso on the qtip on a still warm nail for quartz/ceramic! I should have mentioned that that's gonna bring in thermal shock in a way that really is not gonna do these materials any favors lol!

Please be mindful of this everybody, qtip with iso is ok for SiC and probably SiN, but not for quartz/ceramic/even ti (hydrocarbon solvents will not cause the ti to break obviously, but it will speed up oxidative degradation when applied to hot titanium).

herbivore21,

vicious916

Dab Connoisseur
So I was originally gonna get a QCB but instead copped a new sandblasted toro holy grail banger i talked the guy down to $170 from $190 it's suppose to be much better than QCB or any other banger for that matter it's probably gonna be my new main with qtip tech love the design it's got three slits for airflow you can probably just use a marble as a carb cap or anything really lol I'll post a review of it when I get some more oils after t-break here's some pics Also the shop near me sells all their toro rigs with these bangers included might have to start saving up soon
I487Joy.jpg
b2nTpN7.jpg
cpxBGtz.jpg
pc09DuU.jpg

Last edited:

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
I'm not really a fan of those form function, seems like my oil sputters out, but I've only used a honey bucket and never something quite like that. It looks really beautiful though.

I fancy a TI nail, I have two that I use a lot both are essentially plate designs, one is a smaller diameter with a deeper plate, one is a bit wider. Heat them up with butane, melt my dab into it, cap it with my dabber (has a cap on the bottom) really like it that way and seems pretty effective and not that dirty. My honeybucket just felt like it ate up dabs, albeit it is pretty poor quality.

HellsWindStaff,
Top Bottom