My Stash Container Solution

McNerdius

god of nerds
We all store stuff, right ? There's probably 3 crowds here when it comes to storage:

1) Baggies for everything.
2) Expensive wood or other crazy type stuff.
3) Somewhere in between. That's me.

It's gotta be... Cheap. Lightproof, Airtight, and spiffy. Altoid tins aren't airtight. Well, the sours ones are, but they're hard to find. Film canisters are increasingly hard to find, and their cousins the pill bottle are not always airtight. My solution ?

Promise not to laugh at me. !!! :)

Now... There are four sizes there. The smallest 2 sizes consist of a matching PVC plug and cap each. The smallest of small cost about 75 cents. They basically the same size as a film container and hold about 1.5gram (ground). The next size up is a touch bigger than a film container and can hold about 1/8. The parts cost about a buck and a quarter for this one. It is a good 'baggy replacer'. I use them for my screens and as a Seed/Stem temporary-container thingy. (i throw the seeds away and grind stems separately and toss it in with my ABV when i make qwiso)

The next size up one on the far right cost about $2.50 to put together, and is the "Everyday" container. Previous to this we'd been using a small tupperware container about the size of a 3" grinder. It wasn't lightproof and kinda 50/50 airtight. This thing... It holds 4-5g comfortably and could do more than a 1/4 if you were so inclined. We only ever have 2-3g in there though...

The big mofo in the back is my "master container." i buy my oz, grind it up and in there it goes. it's put together the same way as the "Everyday" one. cap, threaded bushing, threaded plug. This one holds a f*ing lot. it's kinda overkill for me... i made it with 3" pvc. doing it with 2" pvc would've been way too small... and i guess 2.5" pvc doesn't exist ?

OK i'm done now. Tell me what y'all think... im gonna go make a couple more posticles now.

PS none of it's glued together i'm not a retard :)

McNerdius,

lwien

What about just using a cheap glass air tight mason jar.

But for portable use, your solution is very inventive. I like it.

lwien,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Good idea! I know PVC isn't safe around heat but this should be a fine application if you give them a good rinse before hand....

I might just get one of those lil' things for on the go myself!

SpiralArchitect,

McNerdius

god of nerds
lwien said:

Glass ? Light Proof ? :o

Seriously tho... Other than the light-proof thing, I tend to... leave stuff laying around. If all you can see is a strange PVC creation it won't mean much. Particularly me since i have a LOT of odd pvc crap laying around at my place. I have a (mostly) pvc coin sorter, ferris-wheel lookin catapult, ohhhhhhhh man... alot.. PVC is fun.

McNerdius,

lwien

McNerdius said:
lwien said:

Glass ? Light Proof ? :o

Seriously tho... Other than the light-proof thing, I tend to... leave stuff laying around. If all you can see is a strange PVC creation it won't mean much. Particularly me since i have a LOT of odd pvc crap laying around at my place. I have a (mostly) pvc coin sorter, ferris-wheel lookin catapult, ohhhhhhhh man... alot.. PVC is fun.
Yup. Light proof. I keep it buried in a clothes drawer.

But like I said, for portability, I like it.

lwien,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
Clever idea, cheap, easily attainable, inconspicuous and stoner proof. Going to Home Depot tomorrow, thanks for the tip.

DeepFried,

McNerdius

god of nerds
DeepFried said:
Clever idea, cheap, easily attainable, inconspicuous and stoner proof. Going to Home Depot tomorrow, thanks for the tip.
Some of my local home depots didn't have the plugs. lowes did tho, as did ace hardware. it was weird. like they dont want people using plugs.

McNerdius,

hub

Ehh, I'm not sure I would ever use PVC for something I'm going to later heat and ingest. Personally, I'd rather stuff my stash under a couch cushion than let it simmer in a PVC pipe.

PVC is toxic to the environment and to your health. Whatever health benefits you might have obtained from vaporizing, you've likely just erased them. The European Union deemed PVC unsafe for children and banned it's use in children's toys. California wants to ban it in all consumer packaging.

Some reading:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0317/p13s02-sten.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PVC

hub,

McNerdius

god of nerds
hub said:
Ehh, I'm not sure I would ever use PVC for something I'm going to later heat and ingest. Personally, I'd rather stuff my stash under a couch cushion than let it simmer in a PVC pipe.
i've read about this and have come to the conclusion that there are two things you can do to pvc to make it icky for you: Heat it, which releases dioxin, *OR*, plasticize it, which will allow the plasticizers to leach out. I'm not smoking out out of it, so that rules out dioxin. AFAIK, these fittings aren't plasticized, so i'm safe there too. They aren't soft or pliable by any sense of the terms...

I do agree though, that pvc is some horrible stuff overall. if there were another type of Lego set for adults id be all over it. :D

[edit: what i'd really love is a set of basically the same thing as these in stainless steel...]

McNerdius,

McNerdius

god of nerds
w00t !!! After hub wrote what he wrote about safety, i felt it necessary to double-check my facts and make sure pvc was safe. found it !

http://www.pvcworkshop.com/PVCsafety.htm

there are a couple links in there to some scientific studies and whatnot... here's a quote to help us feel assured and whatnot though...

At the other end of the PVC hardness spectrum is PVC pipe. It is made of hard, rigid PVC that contains no plasticizer. What isn't there cannot leach out into food. So clean, room-temperature PVC pipe can be used as a perfectly safe food utensil. And that's a fact.
w00t ! no more bad mugambo for me.

McNerdius,
Top Bottom