My d-nail quartz halo experience

a-ron419

I recently decided I needed to update my current rig setup. I did a bunch of research and read a bunch of forum posts trying to decide which nail heater combo to go with. I initially bought the Auberin RDK-200 with the flat coil heater and their Ti/Quartz hybrid nail. All of this worked like a champ for months, but for some reason I felt the need to upgrade again.I bought an InfiniTi nail from Highly Educated, and loved the base but didn't much care for Titanium, so I went back to the hybrid.I saw the D-Nail Quartz Halo one day and had to have it. I was intrigued by the WIK surface, and its design so I ordered one immediately. The day it comes, I break down and clean my rig, and set up the InfiniTi base. I feed the Halo onto the shaft and tighten down the nut till it barely engages the dish and then back it off until the dish rotates with very little friction. I fire up the heater and at 600 deg., i hear the dreadful sound of quartz cracking. I understand the thermal properties of quartz and thermal expansion so nothing on the dish was anywhere close to too tight, i was just heating it up to burn it in for a bit and get rid of anything that was on it. It is now cracked in 2 places on the center barrel. I email d-nail and send them pictures of my rig and the dish with the cracks and also a short 10 question quiz. They proceed to tell me that the fault is not with their product but with my unauthorized rig. They tell me I can get a discount on a new one whenever they come back in stock. I have quite a few quartz pieces I have collected over the years, a lot of them cheap chinese made junk, and none of them have ever failed before the first dab. I realize they are very highly regarded which is how I ended up looking at them in the first place. In my case, their product failed and instead of replacing it they blamed other equipment( which is currently heating up a cheap quarts dish) and offered to take slightly less more of my money to put it on an 'unauthorized' setup. They lost any future from me and I'm going to show that cracked out dish to all kinds of people as a symbol of their quality. oh well

Monsoon

Can you post some pictures of your rig and the broken dish? I'm guessing by unauthorized they mean you were using a third party coil though that shouldn't be an issue itself. You could maybe try asking them to escalate your case to their manager to review. While their customer support is generally pretty good, I've seen a few people run into problems likely due to more inexperienced staff members and a manager would have more discretion too.

Since you've ruled out D-Nail for future purchases, I'd suggest looking into the Liger 2.0 nail if you want to buy another. I don't have one myself but it has many happy owners here and if you have an issue you're dealing with the owner directly but it doesn't seem easy to break.

Monsoon,

Monsoon

Lol a customer service mix up.

What a bunch of assholes.
I wouldn't say that, he posted the next day to say the issue had been resolved. Still better than a lot of other companies out there.

Last edited:
Monsoon,

Nintenjoo

Customer service mixup

"Oh sorry we had an asshole working the phones that day".

Haha. Nah it's cool, I'm sure there was some reason. They've been decent to me overall. They do make very nice products as well.

If I was rich I'd have a bunch of Dnail stuff.

Nintenjoo,

NorCalBrah

I ordered a Quartz halo and a third party flat coil heater the other day. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to me :(

NorCalBrah,

Nintenjoo

I do have a SiC Dish and third party flat coil with my Auber.

I've had it fairly snug for a month now and it's been fine.

Not quartz though.

Nintenjoo,

thegoo

@a-ron419
You are not alone!
I bought a Quartz Halo from D-nail and it cracked the same way, on day 2 of owning it. I barely used it 3 times and it cracked right at the retaining nut.
When I contacted D-nail, they asked for photos and proceeded to tell me that the Engineer found it to be the result of operator error. I was then told I could receive a discount on another one when they were back in stock.
I was not happy with this outcome, and as a result put my d-nail away for the time being.

Has anyone had one for a long period of time? I wonder if there have been any changes to the retaining nut...

thegoo,

Monsoon

@a-ron419
You are not alone!
I bought a Quartz Halo from D-nail and it cracked the same way, on day 2 of owning it. I barely used it 3 times and it cracked right at the retaining nut.
When I contacted D-nail, they asked for photos and proceeded to tell me that the Engineer found it to be the result of operator error. I was then told I could receive a discount on another one when they were back in stock.
I was not happy with this outcome, and as a result put my d-nail away for the time being.

Has anyone had one for a long period of time? I wonder if there have been any changes to the retaining nut...
Maybe try emailing them again and ask that your case be reviewed by a manager. The center seems to chip more easily but I haven't seen any cracks so far after 3 months of daily use. Unless you forcibly tightened it or use an uneven coil I don't see how you can fuck it up. I can see them saying no after an extended amount of time but this was the day after delivery. Force the issue, but if they still won't replace it for free then ask that the discount be applied to your Sapphire Halo instead if you end up buying it. If you want durability though I'd go with the SiC.

My retaining nut is a bit more oxidized now but otherwise fine. I'll take a closer look of the dish next time I clean it.

Monsoon,
Reactions: grokit

DrSteez

ive dropped mine once waist height to the semi soft carpet, dropped it in the sink while cleaning it once and have been using it everyday since late 2015. No chips, nothing. Only problem is the Blackness of the carbon buildup wont come off the rim of the dish. but that's a few specs.overnight soak iso cleans off 96% of it.

im loving it. only afraid one of my friends will break it or i will scratch it by circling the surface with my titanium dabber round and round the dish once.

DrSteez,

ckingflava

Same thing happened to me recently...no discount offered...just agreeing with me to try a SiC next time...haven't had it a year yet and the inner rim is severely chipped...sucks...don't want to have to drop down 80 more bucks when they ever get SiC back in stock

ckingflava,

thegoo

So....Its been a long time since this dish has been released, does anyone whose Quartz halo is still working, have any tips for new users??

After owning the halo for 2 days in October when it cracked, I decided to put away my D-nail indefinitely.

Today I was able to acquire a new dish at a discount through a LHS, so I figured it would be a good time to try again.

Edit: Once again, the fit of the dish on the Infiniti nail is poor. The dish is either seated too tightly or too loosely and there is no middle ground. I am afraid to even use this now because I feel like it will just expand during use and crack..

thegoo,

Monsoon

So....Its been a long time since this dish has been released, does anyone whose Quartz halo is still working, have any tips for new users??

After owning the halo for 2 days in October when it cracked, I decided to put away my D-nail indefinitely.

Today I was able to acquire a new dish at a discount through a LHS, so I figured it would be a good time to try again.

Edit: Once again, the fit of the dish on the Infiniti nail is poor. The dish is either seated too tightly or too loosely and there is no middle ground. I am afraid to even use this now because I feel like it will just expand during use and crack..
Get a slim series base when they restock in a month, sandwich the coil between the retainer and the base and then you can gently screw on the Halo on top.

Monsoon,
Top Bottom