My car takes on water when it rains, all soaked in there man

2 Cycle

I got no idea what is going on. It is an old Toyota solar a with 230 k miles so it is definitely approaching being a beater. Lately I have noticed a musty smell. It smells like a cross between a pair of old gym socks and a wet lemur. I happened to look in the back seat (it is a coupe style) and the floor was soaked. Rain was getting in! Windows were up, how is this happening?

blackstone

In that part of the car it's often a leak in rear window seals, trunk lid seal, or it could also be from the rear lights or even the seams in the panels and roof channels.
Sometimes it might even come from the wheels/ wheel guards.
It can result from a weak point in a design, or accident or other types of repair.
A google search can often pinpoint a known weakness in each car model.

I think I heard a faulty A/C system could drop water on the floor but that would be in the front.

A trade detection secret is to remove some of the interior parts, seats or carpet and sit inside while the car is hosed down or washed, and a layman's remedy was to drill a hole in the floor at the lowest point allowing any water to drain, and not bother curing the leak!

How about rusted floorboards. I had beaters that were so rusted the floorboards were all but gone and you could see the street rushing by under your feet.

Fred fucking Flintstone car. LOL

However, if you don't live where they use salt for snow control.......... never mind.

crawdad

floatin
I think I heard a faulty A/C system could drop water on the floor but that would be in the front.

that would be a leaky heater core/rusted out drip pan under the core...signs would be front passenger floorboard wet and smell foul.

id check door seams all around, close up and hit some spots with a hose maybe have someone inside as you are spraying.

dehumidify and keep it clean though, mold can set it.

Helios

idk how it can get in, however try Silica cat litter, pour some in a sock and wrap the other one around it, make a few of them and place them around inside of your car to trap moisture and dehumidify, actually a great hack in winter too if you don't have a heater in your car.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
I happened to look in the back seat (it is a coupe style) and the floor was soaked. Rain was getting in! Windows were up, how is this happening?

Got a sunroof? You probably got a bad seal. Water is likely making it's way past the seal, following along the interior body, leaking under the back seat. Happened to my wife's coupe with an OEM sunroof

Delta3DStudios,
Top Bottom