Musicians, music and gear. :)

Kian

oddball musician
Hello.
seeing how many members there are here I thought there must be a lot of musicians.
It seems like it might be good to have a thread for talk about your music and gear, sharing photos and demos, reviews etc. Anything related to music making and music all instruments/equipment.
So, who's around? what do you play? in what style? what do you play through?
non-musicians are also welcome with any questions or ideas they may have. :buzz:

xer0

I've been making music for like 7 or 8 years now. Not really focusing on any style, just putting together what sounds good to my ear. Started actually with putting together mashups and making screwed and chopped remixes of songs. From there I started actually making beats. I've used Logic and FL Studio extensively although lately I have been focusing on putting a lot of loops together with the iKaossilator app for the iPhone. Eventually I am going to isolate each track of each loop and record them to my PC so I can get everything put together exactly the way I want.

I actually just uploaded this last night before I went to sleep...its a little sample of what I've been working on recently.

Kian

oddball musician
I thought this thread was dead already. thanks for the input! :)
Some good stuff on that soundcloud link and the video.
I'm generally more of a big loud amplifier and analogue effects kind of person but I've been trying to get back into electronic sequencing for a project I'm doing names Axolotl.
The only electronic piece I have to share is this:
https://soundcloud.com/kianbits/midi-0

It's not much like what you guys are doing though, it's all a bit weird and crooked. It was my first time playing with MIDI since college so the sounds aren't great but it's quite a complex piece. It's meant to sound silly, like 70's prog meets 90s video game music but with lots of broken timings.
It's just a silly intro (to be immediately followed by a black metal track).
Probably not what you guys are into, but check it out. I'll post some of my amplified stuff soon if anyone joins the conversation. For now it seems more fitting to share my MIDI stuff.

and xerO, have you tried any of the Moog apps on your phone? I don't know what they're like but know a few people that are really getting into their mobile software synths.

Tweek

I'm not a musician, but I like instruments. Before I had to sell them all to pay my bills, way back when, I had quite a nice synthesizer collection that I enjoyed making noise with. The vocoder was my favourite. Still plan on building a theremin one of these days.

I also have a banjo, guitar and harmonica that I try to teach myself once in a blue moon.

keepsake

Soul Searchin`
I find that when I'm medicated, my guitar skills aren't as good as when I'm sober.

It kinda sucks =/

keepsake,
Reactions: Kian

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
Professional classical musician nerd, right here! Piano was my first love, but early on, I knew singing was where my natural abilities were leading me. I perform classical music and also teach privately. There's nothing quite like getting paid for what you love to do. :nod:

Kian

oddball musician
I find that when I'm medicated, my guitar skills aren't as good as when I'm sober.

It kinda sucks =/
Yeah, that kind of happens. If I'm playing for other people or doing any recording that requires tight playing then I stay sober. For my own music I always like a bit of herbal help to get "in the zone", even if absolute proficiency may be at risk. :whoa: .

I'm not a musician, but I like instruments. Before I had to sell them all to pay my bills, way back when, I had quite a nice synthesizer collection that I enjoyed making noise with. The vocoder was my favourite. Still plan on building a theremin one of these days.

I also have a banjo, guitar and harmonica that I try to teach myself once in a blue moon.

It sucks having to sell gear, I'm struggling to keep things at the moment. A theramin would be great, I've been watching videos of people hooking them up to synths to use as a control source for modulation. Looks like it opens up a lot of new doors when hooked up to other instruments.

Professional classical musician nerd, right here! Piano was my first love, but early on, I knew singing was where my natural abilities were leading me. I perform classical music and also teach privately. There's nothing quite like getting paid for what you love to do. :nod:

Nice to meet you. It must be great to have that as a profession if it is you passion. I doubt I'll ever make money from my music as it's a bit too "out there" for most people, gets pretty weird and extreme. I do gardening though, which I also love, so not too bad.
thanks for joining in. Do you compose anything yourself?

This probably won't excite anyone as so far no full time guitarists have joined in, but I just got a new amp today!
I've had the cab for a while, just bought one of these little Chinese Orange heads second hand as my main amp is excessively powerful and very heavy to move. This new set-up sounds great, only 15w but still really loud! Going to do some synth recording through it later.
tfA2PzF.jpg
tfA2PzF.jpg
[/IMG]

wonderfox

Great idea for a thread, Klan. I'll have to come and see your band play sometime!
Musician here! I'm a guitarist at heart but I also play the harp amongst other things. I play mainly folk/blues style but have a classical background. I haven't recorded anything or played live for a few years now due to life getting a bit hectic, which is a shame. I'd really like to get back into performing, it's an incredible feeling.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I consider myself a bass player - there are quite a few of us here on FC I noticed - but I also play guitar, keyboards and some brass.

Currently (occasionally) using my 1991 Ernie Ball Musicman (seafoam green) with SWR Workingman's amp for Classic Rock purposes. :rockon:

:peace:

Stu,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
My buddy who I vape with almost every day has a pretty bitchin home studio setup

He has a 2012 iMac, with an i7 and 32G of ram, that's pretty much exclusively for running logic and pro tools.
There's a full grand piano sized keyboard with weighted keys, and a smaller keyboard without weighted keys that also has a modulation wheel and pitch bend wheel.
There are more software instruments than you can count (he's spent more on them than I've spent on my vapes and glass combined :))
One of his recent acquisitions was maschine (I think the micro version)

I'm about as musically talented as a turnip (I'm trying to learn guitar, but not too seriously, so its not really going anywhere), but its totally awesome watching him play something, and it turning into a really cool piece of music over the course of 15 minutes to a few hours.

He did a course on music engineering too, so he does his own mixing, mastering, equalising etc...
Basically every step of the music production process...

I'll see if he's got a demo of a song he'd be happy for me to post up here for you guys to listen to :tup:
(His old mac didn't have enough ram for what he wanted to make, so he has heaps of songs halfway done, but logic would then start crashing before he could get really into them. He's currently working on creating his 1st album.)

Frederick McGuire,

xer0

and xerO, have you tried any of the Moog apps on your phone? I don't know what they're like but know a few people that are really getting into their mobile software synths.

Yeah I have Animoog that I paid all of .99 for. :D Its a nice app. Never personally used a Moog so I can't compare how it sounds to the original hardware but it sounds very good to me. I have a Korg MS2000R which is an analog modeling synth and the Animoog app's sound is close to that...maybe not quite as full but definitely useable.

Korg's iOS apps are really good. I've personally used iMS-20, iKaossilator, and iElectribe. All are pretty faithful recreations of the original hardware. I actually like using iKaossilator more than I do the Kaossilator Pro.

Love the Orange TT! I play some guitar but not as much recently since I messed up my left shoulder. I always wanted one of those but never could justify the funds for it. I get good enough tone out of Amplitube 3 for my purposes.

xer0,

Kian

oddball musician
Great idea for a thread, Klan. I'll have to come and see your band play sometime!
Musician here! I'm a guitarist at heart but I also play the harp amongst other things. I play mainly folk/blues style but have a classical background. I haven't recorded anything or played live for a few years now due to life getting a bit hectic, which is a shame. I'd really like to get back into performing, it's an incredible feeling.
Yeah, I was surprised no one had already started a similar thread, must be loads of musicians lurking around. I haven't played a gig since last summer, really looking forward to getting out there again! Life has a way of stopping these things sometimes.

I consider myself a bass player - there are quite a few of us here on FC I noticed - but I also play guitar, keyboards and some brass.

Currently (occasionally) using my 1991 Ernie Ball Musicman (seafoam green) with SWR Workingman's amp for Classic Rock purposes. :rockon:

:peace:
Bassists? where? Come forward, wielders of thunder!

Yeah I have Animoog that I paid all of .99 for. :D Its a nice app. Never personally used a Moog so I can't compare how it sounds to the original hardware but it sounds very good to me. I have a Korg MS2000R which is an analog modeling synth and the Animoog app's sound is close to that...maybe not quite as full but definitely useable.

Cool. I never even used any software synths but heard good things about a few. It may not have the analogue feeling but apparently some do a very good impression. The MS2000 is meant to be a pretty wondrous machine, I'd love to have a play with one. I've never play any analogue Korgs at all, just heard others getting amazing tones.

She's a beauty. :love:

Tasty! I bet you get some lovely sounds form that, what kind of music do you make?. I'm looking into a new keyboard soon. I have a Moog but it's monophonic so only good for certain stuff. I still sometimes try and play chords while I'm jamming. It's great for what it does, I mainly use it for basslines, loops and lead stuff, but sometimes polyphony is needed! I have a melodica, but it's a really plastic sounding one and that's my only other keyed instrument.

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
Bassists? where? Come forward, wielders of thunder!
I love this. :lol: I want to see an artistic rendition of an angry Zeus in the clouds playing a bass guitar…

Tasty! I bet you get some lovely sounds form that, what kind of music do you make?. I'm looking into a new keyboard soon. I have a Moog but it's monophonic so only good for certain stuff. I still sometimes try and play chords while I'm jamming. It's great for what it does, I mainly use it for basslines, loops and lead stuff, but sometimes polyphony is needed! I have a melodica, but it's a really plastic sounding one and that's my only other keyed instrument.
Thanks, it does have great sound indeed, and it really screams when hooked up to a computer via firewire. 16 channel i/o :o

My inspirations are pretty eclectic, so it can be hard to describe the kind of music I make. Lately it's mostly softer, piano-driven music. I played around with some progressive metal type music for a while, nice organ sounds and synth leads, that kind of thing. But I'm also really inspired by work from Donald Fagen, the greats of 80s and 90s video game music, and Joe Hisaishi's scores for Miyazaki's films. In recent years I've become particularly enamored with the work of Steven Wilson. I think that just about rounds it out… Jam on. :cheers:

nopartofme,

Kian

oddball musician
It's always good to be diverse. There's no limit to the styles I play, all dependant on mood, situation and what instruments are at hand. No point living in a box.
Post some tunes when you can, would be interesting to hear!
(directed at nopartofme)

Kian,

Kian

oddball musician
This guy is a legend. He's become a dear friend of mine and is a very unique character.
He played in a progressive group in the 1970's called Akh Akh? Quack Quack!, which made him an instant legend in my eyes (the music was brilliant too).
He's been hidden away for a long time but I've been working with him to get recordings done and will be producing his solo album, "Quackhmed!", and an album by his current band, Kangaroo (progressive jazz/funk/death metal).

This track is really short, but the synth playing goes nuts.
He has extreme skills, but a very strange mind.
try it :goat: <-- he likes goats.
https://soundcloud.com/groovetemple/crazy-goat

Kian,

Curiousone

Oh...me! I'm don't consider myself a musician as I don't want to insult those with real talent! but I've played guitar and keys for years...have a home studio--that doesn't see much use these days. Started as a MC (rapper for the squares)

I've been into audio recording, engineering, radio broadcasting for over 15 years. No major productions, but I've mixed, mastered, produced and recorded lots of commercials, demos and small-run projects. I've worked with everything from jazz to country to Rnb to Hip Hop. Hip Hop based music is where my love is...

don't feel like being a nerd and posting an equipment list or pics. I'm lazy and paranoid.

peace

Rocco

Ohhhh yeah! I was wondering if there was A thread for musicians here, now I have found it!

So I am was A musician first but now I venture more on the recording/engineering side, any other people dig much into recording here?

Rocco,

Kian

oddball musician
Oh...me! I'm don't consider myself a musician as I don't want to insult those with real talent! but I've played guitar and keys for years...have a home studio--that doesn't see much use these days. Started as a MC (rapper for the squares)

I've been into audio recording, engineering, radio broadcasting for over 15 years. No major productions, but I've mixed, mastered, produced and recorded lots of commercials, demos and small-run projects. I've worked with everything from jazz to country to Rnb to Hip Hop. Hip Hop based music is where my love is...

don't feel like being a nerd and posting an equipment list or pics. I'm lazy and paranoid.

peace

Sounds cool. Be a nerd, post equipment! Some people (myself included) like to learn about gear people use, that's part of why I started this. If there's anything you have to say about anything you use then let us know.
Ohhhh yeah! I was wondering if there was A thread for musicians here, now I have found it!

So I am was A musician first but now I venture more on the recording/engineering side, any other people dig much into recording here?

I do various bits of recording/production work. I studied in college but a lot of it fell out the other ear as I didn't apply it to my own work. I've developed a more naturalist approach to recording as I have a thing for capturing music as is in the room. I'm more concerned with perfectly engineering a recording from the start rather than messing around with it once it's down so my concentration has always been on getting the right sound in the first place through careful mic placement (sometimes getting a bit crazy, mic'ing up the walls etc), which I think is very healthy but not many producers feel the same. It's all down to what's right for the music at the end of the day and I'm very respectful of different ways of working.

You got any music online? What is your recording set-up?

Kian,
Top Bottom