Music from the mid 60's to late 70's (when creative genius reigned..)

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
"So weird seeing this, without the distortion pedal, Eric's Firebird guitar tone is lighter than Al Jardine's old '60's Strat tone! It sounds like Muddy Water's guitar when Chess upgraded Muddy to that solid state piece of junk. Interesting.
This was the Smothers Brothers CBS summer replacement show that became a big hit on its own. Thanks to the star, Mr. G.C.
GC introduces EC!
BTW, I'm sure the technicians at CBS said no way to the giant tone Eric had at that time. Probably explains the pained look on his face." Steve Hoffman (Mastering Guru)

Jimi on the Lulu show... Guess they were ok with letting him put the dial on 11, than prudish American TV was with the above clip. Of course I could be wrong and EC and the boys were already on the way to less distortion. Proving that they would have been relevant now.

Last edited:

Silat

I saw Jimi's show at the Memorial Coliseum in Portland Or in 1968. I was soon to be drafted. I was in high school. All the lights were on. Cops and evil adults roamed the aisles. All the boys were wearing white Levis. :)
When he lit his guitar on fire and humped the amps I knew I had found my people:).
Here is a part of the write up from the establishment newspaper in Portland:
"The Oregonian (10 September) ‘Hard Rock Entertains 8,000 Coliseum Fans’ - review by Jack Berry: “After a turnout of approximately 8,000 young people at Memorial Coliseum Monday night - most of them ‘clean cut’ and middle-class in appearance - there can be little doubt that hard or ‘heavy’ rock music is a major show business phenomenon.
Formerly confined to psychedelic ballrooms, the practitioners of aural apocalypse have been concertizing in auditoriums and arenas of late and Monday’s show, which featured Jimi Hendricks [sic] was probably the most successful attempt in Portland yet.
Hendricks [sic] was preceded on the program by the Soft Machine and the Vanilla Fudge, two good examples of recent attention to instrumental technique...

[Vanilla Fudge’s set?]…(….ered, marvellously “heavy” simply by suffering the force of mammoth amplification. It was just an endurance contest)
The music has not become subdued by any means and one of its fundamental weaknesses is the sameness of those shattering highs almost every number builds towards.

The Soft Machine’s entire set was devoted to one number dedicated to ‘the decline and fall of the American Empire’ and was apparently intended to trace this trajectory in one of the first examples of program music rock has produced.
A spoken refrain…
The decline and fall continued for longer than management wished and the Machine, furious when its power was cut, kicked all its equipment off the stage. At least America didn’t go out with a whimper....

Probably the best thing about The Jimi Hendrick’s Experience is its very gripping ability to build climaxes, moving from plateau to plateau with the massive inevitability of a juggernaut. Hendricks is unquestionably a magnetic figure and his ‘experience’ is a strong one. But since magic people are fairly rare, the future of rock was probably indicated more strongly by the other groups on the program.
Far from the screaming, stage rushing melee of early rock ‘n roll, Monday night’s audience was amazingly mannered and restrained. It made the absurdly rude performance of one police sergeant that much more ridiculous.” "

Bill Eisiminger (early musical acquaintance): “In September, 1968, I took some of my former junior high school students who had a band that I managed - Midnight Sun - to Portland to see the Jimi Hendrix/Vanilla Fudge concert. We had back stage passes, and we sat on the stairs leading to the stage - not more than eight or ten feet from where Jimi was standing. It was fantastic.
After the concert, we had a chance to talk to Jimi. For my students, it was the thrill of their lives. Jimi had a major impact on young people then, and that impact has not diminished in any way over twenty-five years”
[Jimi Hendrix: Voices From Home by Mary Willix, p.97].

My gf did not get it. But I sure did.

Setlist:
Are You Experienced?

Fire

Hey Joe

(The Leaves cover)

Foxy Lady

Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

Little Wing

Spanish Castle Magic

Red House

The Star-Spangled Banner

(John Stafford Smith cover)

Purple Haze

Full concert. Sound is iffy but you get the drift as to how amazing and loud it was.

Silat

I was at this concert. Flew up on a charter from Portland Oregon.
I saw the music in the sky. :)
March 21, 1970
Vancouver, BC CANADA
Pacific Coliseum

Sound is not very good but you get the picture.

Led Zeppelin Live in Vancouver 1970 Full Concert (Nearly Complete)

Top Bottom