Mota Pot for Espresso Coffee??

MinnBobber

HI,

first off, is the Mota Pot really just a "stovetop espresso maker" ?

I just bought a nice stovetop espresso maker (Ilsa) in anticipation of our supremely fucked up state of Minnesota expanding our program---so I'd have a decent supply, instead of a meager supply. It could be years though for regular cannabis use in it, so looking for tips for espresso making with it.

Note that I almost never drink coffee, maybe one cup a month with a good dessert. So espresso to me is like someone that drinks one light beer a month deciding they'd really like to try 151 rum, straight up :)

Made half of the 6 cup max, with a reducer plate in the coffee chamber so it is full and packed.
Water capacity is 1.5 cups so I did a little over half, about 0.9 cup, instead of 0.75 cup.

That is some potent stuff!! First sips seemed bitter as I rarely consume bitter. But then it sort of mellowed into a deep rich flavor. I did have a smidge of vanilla bean ice cream between sips, a microdose of cream so to speak ;) Better than I anticipated experience, with deep heavy flavor but it wasn't bad....

1. Can you save the leftover coffee for morning or that's a no no?
2. Is it normal for 2 TBSP water to remain in lower unit/ not steam up into top chamber?
3. Any handy tips welcomed. I tamped the espresso grounds down with a 1/2 cup measuring cup that is the size of the coffee chamber, pushed down pretty hard. How much pressure is the target??
4. Is it normal for a very few of the tiny coffee grounds to make it into the top? I've never used store grinder or bought any coffee so espresso option had fine and finer so I did "finer". With this stovetop piece, I'm thinking one notch coarser than espresso might be better????
Would that help stop small herbage from making it thru?

Flyin' high in MN....actually I don't really feel any real coffee buzz from 2/3 of the load. I might even have the last "hit" ;)

MinnBobber,

iVapeTooMuch

Oh I Member
You've pretty much got making the coffee down if you like the taste.

1) I wouldn't save the used coffee - just toss or compost

2) Yup

3) See below. For the density of the coffee, I don't usually pack it tightly. I put it in, tap around to make sure it's evenly spread, and level it off before attaching the top piece

4) Yes to the solid particulates. I'm not sure about the labels, but moka pots like a very fine grind

Protip: A moka pot makes okay coffee every if you use it every once and a while. If you us it everyday and let some of the oils accumulate in the top chamber, it will taste amazing.

Last edited:

MinnBobber

You've pretty much got making the coffee down if you like the taste.

1) I wouldn't save the used coffee - just toss or compost
Thanks.
I was asking about the 3rd liquid cup of coffee that I didn't drink, after the other two "tiny" cups.
Does that keep at all, like for a breakfast hit or does it get funky overnight?

I was surprised that this mega coffee was fine as I'm a supreme coffee lightweight

iVapeTooMuch

Oh I Member
Thanks.
I was asking about the 3rd liquid cup of coffee that I didn't drink, after the other two "tiny" cups.
Does that keep at all, like for a breakfast hit or does it get funky overnight?

I was surprised that this mega coffee was fine as I'm a supreme coffee lightweight
Oh I misunderstood - I'm not sure. The moka pot I use for coffee only makes 2 (espresso) cups and I don't have any left over. I suppose if you store it correctly and don't mind cold or reheated coffee it's fine, but again, I'm not sure.

Are you sipping it or taking it like a shot? Take it like a shot and see how you feel :tup:

iVapeTooMuch,

MinnBobber

Hey you espresso buffs, I need help with my stovetop espresso maker. I almost never drink coffee BUT bought this to make ABV infused coconut oil. It will sit idle for months between ABV use so decided to get some espresso grind and try it. ....kind of like a cannabis virgin deciding to try cannabis, starting with 85% THC dabs :)

Basket has a half spacer so used that. Added 2+ TBSP organic espresso, tamped down the basket, was 95% full. Ran unit on stovetop until gurgling stopped and it looked like nothing else was pumping into top chamber/
Result:
- 6 fl oz of espresso, very dark, with a lot of fine espresso sediment. Is that sediment normal?
- bottom water chamber had 2 fl oz of lightly colored water remaining and some sediment. Is that much water left over and some sediment normal?

I did not want to wreck the unit by keeping on gas stove too long, if bottom water is all gone, I assume direct flame cannot be good for the bottom???

Then I did a test with water and empty basket. Bubbled it for 4 minutes until it sounded like no more water was pumping into top section. Again, top had about 6 oz water and bottom again had 2 fl oz or 1/4 cup water left..

-Does that much sediment normally get into the brew?

- Does that much water normally remain in bottom section? Any tips/tricks to get more water to pump into the top?

- Could I cut a piece of coffee filter into round shape and place over the grind to reduce the sediment?

That was some intense brew, let me tell you. At first it seemed like heavy acid feel, expected my stomach to go bonkers BUT then the taste seemed more full/robust/heavy, and not really acidic????
Considering I almost never drink coffee, it was a pretty decent experience.

Thank for any help as I really don't know if my experience is "normal" or if I need to tweak my technique

MinnBobber,
Reactions: Squiby

MinnBobber

I fired up the mota pot again.
didn't pack the 1/2 basket (has a spacer to reduce size) as tight as last time.
It seems to work better.
1/8 cup water left in bottom chamber.
Filtered the final product thru a coffee filter and that caught a fair about of the super fine espresso grind that made it into the top. That seemed to make the drinking experience much better.
--Do others filter OR are you supposed to drink with the tiny coffee solids ??

I rarely drink coffer but this organic espresso had a deep, rich flavor that was a pretty satisfying experience.
Had some Belgium 72% dark choc alongside it and that was a good combo.

And coffee seems to be having a "health craze" following. A buddy now sells some super coffee??? that people swear it makes them lose a lot of weight and feel super healthy????

MinnBobber,
Top Bottom