more blasphemy - rolling papers?

Lil Dragonfly

vapor fetishist
What type of rolling papers create the least harmful smoke?

(Some of my boyfriends smoke, and refuse to give it up, lol)

Lil Dragonfly,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
I dont know if they produce the least harmful smoke but my experience indicates that good old regular Zig Zag produces the least amount of smoke. Hope this helps.

Lycanthrope,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
cellulose papers, the clear ones that feel like plastic supposedly are less harmful to you lungs. I think they taste a lot less like burning paper.

bluntfaced,

Derf

Haven't used papers in years, but from what I remember, I've found that the rice papers burn the least harmful, but the problem is they burn up so fast the material in the middle isn't fully used when the outer paper is. This creates a fast burning outer layer, and a slower burning inner layer which makes for a problematic spliff.
I tried bamboo papers once, that was terrible - they burned so hot it felt like little needles being inhaled.

I finally settled on hemp papers. They burn at the same rate as the material they are holding, add no taste or unpleasant flavor, nor do they add excessive smoke.

Derf,

indigal

Amongst the corn
bluntfaced said:
cellulose papers, the clear ones that feel like plastic supposedly are less harmful to you lungs. I think they taste a lot less like burning paper.
I've got several packs of the Aledinha's and burned one by itself- barely a wisp. However, they do not roll near as nice as fine papers :| . I haven't rolled in a couple years, kind of miss it.. not the smoking though.

indigal,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
Yeah it's weird at first, I got used to it though and now it's easier for me. Sometimes they look funny but I think they burn much nicer and are much less susceptible to runs.

bluntfaced,

Lil Dragonfly

vapor fetishist
bluntfaced said:
Thank you bluntfaced :)

Lil Dragonfly,

Lil Dragonfly

vapor fetishist
Derf said:
Haven't used papers in years, but from what I remember, I've found that the rice papers burn the least harmful, but the problem is they burn up so fast the material in the middle isn't fully used when the outer paper is. This creates a fast burning outer layer, and a slower burning inner layer which makes for a problematic spliff.
I tried bamboo papers once, that was terrible - they burned so hot it felt like little needles being inhaled.

I finally settled on hemp papers. They burn at the same rate as the material they are holding, add no taste or unpleasant flavor, nor do they add excessive smoke.
You know that they are less harmful when inhaled? Or they just appear to create less smoke?

Lil Dragonfly,

Derf

Lil Dragonfly said:
You know that they are less harmful when inhaled? Or they just appear to create less smoke?
In regards to less harmful... Smoke is smoke. Whether you're burning rice paper, hemp paper, wood paper, tobacco leaf, or whatever, its combustion. PAH's, Napthalene, Toluene, Ammonia, ash, etc are all released. If the paper is treated with other chemicals they too can/will be released.

In terms of less smoke, I can't say. That is fairly subjective. The thin rice papers will continue to burn creating smoke, even when you aren't puffing on the joint. This is why a lot of the middle herb is unburned, because the sides have already burned down. The woodier papers (bamboo) burn slower, releasing less smoke when you aren't puffing, but I feel the smoke they create is harsher. The hemp papers burn less than rice papers when you aren't puffing, and aren't as harsh as wood papers when you are puffing.

In any event, this is like arguing which is worse for you: a pint of chocolate ice cream with whip cream and maraschino cherries, or a pint of vanilla ice cream with peanut butter and fudge. They are both bad for you (in terms of sugar, fat, insulin spike, etc). The minutia of which is less worse is probably going to be outweighed by which one you prefer to use based on your own personal taste.

Tell them to buy higher quality bud and they will get away with smoking less of it. By and large the best way to limit exposure is how often you "smoke".

Derf,

420xtoomanyx420

I have not smoke since February. :brow: When I did I liked Joker Lights in 1.5. The JOB regulars really tasted like paper.:p

420xtoomanyx420,

Lil Dragonfly

vapor fetishist
Derf said:
In regards to less harmful... Smoke is smoke. Whether you're burning rice paper, hemp paper, wood paper, tobacco leaf, or whatever, its combustion. PAH's, Napthalene, Toluene, Ammonia, ash, etc are all released. If the paper is treated with other chemicals they too can/will be released.

In terms of less smoke, I can't say. That is fairly subjective. The thin rice papers will continue to burn creating smoke, even when you aren't puffing on the joint. This is why a lot of the middle herb is unburned, because the sides have already burned down. The woodier papers (bamboo) burn slower, releasing less smoke when you aren't puffing, but I feel the smoke they create is harsher. The hemp papers burn less than rice papers when you aren't puffing, and aren't as harsh as wood papers when you are puffing.

In any event, this is like arguing which is worse for you: a pint of chocolate ice cream with whip cream and maraschino cherries, or a pint of vanilla ice cream with peanut butter and fudge. They are both bad for you (in terms of sugar, fat, insulin spike, etc). The minutia of which is less worse is probably going to be outweighed by which one you prefer to use based on your own personal taste.

Tell them to buy higher quality bud and they will get away with smoking less of it. By and large the best way to limit exposure is how often you "smoke".
Tobacco smoking causes cancer and pot smoking doesn't.

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_health2.shtml

Tobacco smoke causes more serious lung damage than pot smoke does. Compare the effects of tobacco smoking on freediving to the effects of pot smoking on freediving...enough said.

Granted, I wouldn't do either. But I have no problem with my boyfriends smoking pot. Tobacco smoking however I insist that they stay far the fuck away from.

Lil Dragonfly,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
Those cellulose papers are supposed to be less harmful, but depending on how much you've already smoked, you may well not like them. A lot of rollers don't like the way they feel and generally smoke/taste.

I used to use RAW papers, which advertise themselves as being free from most of the chlorine and other toxins that you'll find in any standard paper. Raws are pretty natural tasting and allow the flavour of the bud to be tasted a lot better.

Other than that you can't really go wrong with good old OCBs, the rolling conneiseur's choice!

wilf789,

Derf

Lil Dragonfly said:
Tobacco smoking causes cancer and pot smoking doesn't.

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_health2.shtml

Tobacco smoke causes more serious lung damage than pot smoke does. Compare the effects of tobacco smoking on freediving to the effects of pot smoking on freediving...enough said.

Granted, I wouldn't do either. But I have no problem with my boyfriends smoking pot. Tobacco smoking however I insist that they stay far the fuck away from.
We don't need to argue over this point. I think we understand that the chemicals put into commercial tobacco, which when released by burning (combustion), cause greater harm than smoking marijuana (which generally has very few or no laced chemicals). It isn't that tobacco in an of itself is worse, its the commercial tobacco that is treated with all those toxins to get you hooked that is worse for you than something without those chemicals like Marijuana. If I had to choose which to smoke it would be a joint of marijuana instead of a cigarette of tobacco, regardless of what kind of paper was used, because I know the tobacco is worse for you.

However, I still maintain that combustion is bad for you based on all the nasty things I mentioned being released (PAH, Napthalene, Toluene, Ammonia). Dale Gieringer enumerated these harmful pollutants in his vaporization study in 2001 "Cannabis Vaporization: A promising strategy for smoke harm reduction." And these chemicals are released whether you are burning tobacco, marijuana, zig-zag rolling papers, newspaper, firewood, or anything else. However, the amount of material in a rolling paper is fairly small in comparison to the amount of material rolled up inside the paper.

Anyway, that was why I was saying its a mute point to say which paper is the best to burn, because burning is bad, and no matter what paper you use, most of the damage is being done by the burning of your herb (tobacco, marijuana, or otherwise). The contribution to the harm caused from the paper is dwarfed by the harm done from the burning of the main material. And just because people aren't getting cancer from smoking marijuana doesn't mean its good for you.
http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/408/14275.html

Its like ordering the big mac meal at MacDonalds and wondering which topping is the least harmful - ketchup, mayonnaise, relish or mustard. Most of the damage is being caused by the greasy burger, not the little packet of sauce. Likewise, most of the damage is being caused by burning the marijuana, not the paper around it.

Derf,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Ironically even though I'm a devoted vaporist I haven't quit smoking cigarettes yet. it is a VERY difficult habit to break.
I know the argument that commercial cigarettes are laced with chemicals that are worse than the tobacco itself.
I don't know if that's true or not; there probably is some truth to that opinion.
I don't actually smoke commercial cigarettes though. For some years I was buying the Indian brands through the mail but that's been halted
due to the PACT act. It was about $2 a pack rather than the $10 a pack at the grocery store.
So I've gone the MYO route - "make your own."
I don't recommend this because I could never never recommend anything related to tobacco but my "interim" solution before quitting
(hopefully not wishful thinking) for quality and price is - I buy "smooth pipe tobacco" - which is manufacturer code for cigarette tobacco for in the range of
$17 a pound, filter tubes for about $2 a box of 200, and I have an Excel machine which cranks out a pack in about five minutes once you get the hang of it.
Obviously this is much less expensive than even the Indian brands - they do smoke much cleaner and tastier than any brand, whether it be commercial or otherwise.

One of the FC mods hipped me to some important info regarding e cigarettes, I admit that I haven't yet pursued this direction, but it is a must, at least as a starting point.

jeffp,

lwien

jeffp said:
Ironically even though I'm a devoted vaporist I haven't quit smoking cigarettes yet. it is a VERY difficult habit to break.
They were the hardest things for me to quit, Jeff, and believe me, I've quit just about everything there is to quit other than heroin, which I've never done except once when we snorted it by accident thinking it was coke. Surprise !! :/

lwien,

ttomo

how to measure the weight of smoke:

(this loosely comes from a movie that was quoting (i think) Sir Walter Raleigh talking to Elizbeth I)

-Take your rolled cigar or cigarette and weigh it.

-Now smoke it and save the ash.

-Weigh the ash and subtract from total starting weight.

-You have now measured smoke ;)

This is more for a good story and to win a bet than maybe strict science.
I did this once with a gram of [some awesome name] and came out with estimating i vapro'd roughly 20%.

as far as papers - my favorite were homemade. I used dried, pressed bang leaf. I laid them out over-lapping each other, misted with water and dried them in the sun for a bit. cut them into rolling paper size and you get a natural paper. i'm sure the same can be done with tobacco as it makes a much larger leaf, so you don't need to layer anything.

ttomo,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
jeffp said:

One of the FC mods hipped me to some important info regarding e cigarettes, I admit that I haven't yet pursued this direction, but it is a must, at least as a starting point.
Dude, E-cigs are the way to go (IMHO) yes, they are a bit of a transition from the analogs but like vaping - they way rock. I used to smoke 2 packs of Black and Mild (Wine) flavored cigars a day. That shit was KILLING ME. Ive also used Swedish snus in the past to quit smoking and that worked well too. The best part about the e-cig (aside from the fact I still get NICOTINE!!!) is the fact that I can do it ANYWHERE pretty much. I dig the fact that I can sit here at my desk at work and puff away all day long.

Good luck bud!

AGBeer,

hydrophilic

Get papers made in Spain, they are the best because they have the highest quality standards. Raw is a good brand off the top of my head, one of my friends who smokes handrolled cigs likes them.

hydrophilic,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I used to buy by the case... Hempire, hemp papers from Spain :)

Haven't used a paper since Aug, last year lol!

Lo,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
Raw papers are good, right now I've got some pure hemp brand papers made in Spain.

bluntfaced,

aero18

vaporist
If you are going to smoke, why bother with any papers at all? The more healthy alternative would be to smoke through glass like a spoon or a bubbler.

aero18,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
Sometimes it's nice to smoke a joint.
I also enjoy smoking blunts on occasion.

Joints are by far the best tasting way to combust in my opinion.
It's just different, nice way to switch it up and great for smoking with 2 or 3 people.
I rip the bong all the time too, not dissing it.

bluntfaced,
Top Bottom