Moldy bubble hash... is there anyway to kill spores?

potatobass

F**k me , i made some home made bubble hash and let it dry for a week but it seems that it wasnt enough ! I stored it in a jar and forgot 3 days about it. when i came back to it , it was covered by mold Oo . 25 grams of good stuff , i'm a little annoyed right now. Is there any way to kill spores?
I'm ready to try anything!
Does iso kill spores? I could make oil with 99% iso and filter it!
Or bake it(but i think spore resist to high temperature)?

If there is no choice , il make butter , but i never been into space cake that much, the high last to long for me and i miss the feeling of "full of vapor lungs"...

God i want to punch me in the face right now.... I ve got a lot of weed so it's not a crisis situation but man ... 25gr of pure bubble hash ... :ugh:

potatobass,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I would imagine that ISO would kill any spores as it is a common sterilization tool for people who 'work with spores' I would guess you would then be ingesting 'dead' spores as well, but it'll work.

AGBeer,

Bouldorado

If it was me, I'd probably just toss the lot of it. I've heard that moldy weed is unsafe even eating it. While an oz of primo bubble is certainly pricey, you have to calculate the risk of getting sick. If you've never had food poisoning, I can assure you it is fucking nasty.

You could make bho potentially. While that article you posted says butane (alcohol) won't sterilize mold, it's possible the low temp could kill it through freezing. I'd find (and compare) the minimum survival temp of mold with the operating temp of liquid butane.

Bouldorado,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Re-dissolve your hash in 99% ISO and pass it through a 0.2 micro filter syringe then purge. This will filter out mold spores (active and dead).

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Doesnt mold float on the surface of water? Couldn't you just re run the bubble through the screens?

Puffers,

aero18

vaporist
Most mold is not pathogenic, but even so, I wouldn't risk anything. Even if it were not pathogenic, it could cause a gnarly immune response.

aero18,

weedemon

enthusiast
please for the record verify... 25 grams or 0.25 grams of hash??

very sorry to hear about this.

i would lean on the side of caution myself. but do research for sure! hope you find a solution.

smokum, where did you learn of this trick? i googled the average particle size of mold and it's 3 - 12 microns (http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/particle-sizes-d_934.html) so your advice sounds solid to me! clever and thinking outside of the box on that one. attack it's particle size instead of searching for a method of deactivation (which i agree still scares me because the particle would still be there!) can a needle of such size be easily acquired? I don't know anything about needles lol they gross me out.

Bouldorado

I doubt a syringe filter uses a needle, prob just pushes the liquid through a micron filter.

Bouldorado,

potatobass

it is 25 grams . I do every year an outdoor grow that last me the year or a little more so this is a big harvest. I put all the usable leafs in the freezer till i have time to process it correctly.
Seems like i did something wrong this year :( .
Thank you so much for all the answers , i m looking for a 0.2 micron filter syringe but it is actually hard to find in units. Hope my scientist friends can get a few for me.

potatobass,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Sorry but I can't take the credit for it, but I'll try and find the article/post where an ICMag member by the name of Grey Wolf has spoke of the method.

Edit: On a quick search I only found two mentions. The first was mention of it for Powder Mildew, and the second was this:

Some of the spores are less than 10 microns in the skinny dimension and bacteria can be down to around 0.2 micron, so we use a 0.2 micron syringe filter after the rough filter.

Quote Source: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=4897308&postcount=15

I suggest more personal research reading on the part of those interested, as this serves to only appease my concerns for my OWN personal use (of which I've, to date, had no use to attempt utilizing).

The syringe filters are readily available online and a search easily revealed this one: http://www.amazon.com/Syringe-Filter-Nylon-diameter-0-2um/dp/B005T45DYU/ref=pd_sbs_indust_2 which is not expensive for a qty of ten provided they are of the correct material for ones use (and I believe the seller also sells the necessary syringes).

2nd Edit: This was the first search item I came across by Grey Wolf regarding PM:

Powdery mildew puts out no know aflatoxins, but still tastes like mold. We've found that if we redissolve the BHO in ethanol, and filter it down to 0.2 microns using a syringe filter, that the moldy taste and smell go away.

0.2 Microns is not only fine enough to take out all the mold material and spores, but also any bacteria present.

PS: Please use a microscope to assure yourself that it is indeed powdery mildew. Aspergillus does put out aflatoxins.

Some folk get a type 1 allergic reaction just from the mold spores, even without aflatoxins.

Quote Source: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=5105263&postcount=3

smokum,

djonkoman

even if you remove the spores, aflatoxins are probably a bigger problem(toxns produced by some fungi). I once read an article about species of fungi found on weedsamples, if I remember correctly that article said you can detect aflatoxins with blacklight

Top Bottom