Mold in Glass x Outdoor Bleach - Safe?

I've been a happy owner of a Vapexhale and one of their honeycomb hydratubes for a while. Occasionally I'd use Rezblock, to keep the resin under control. Recently I hadn't used it, and I'd left it in my wardrobe with Rezblock/water still inside.

A week later (now today), I found pockets of mold inside the hydratube. I tried using 91% isopropyl on it for about 20-30 minutes, in order to remove the mold. However, it didn't dislodge any of the mold. I saw other members used bleach for mold, so I went to search if there was any available.

We only had "Clorox Outdoor Bleach", so I put a half a shot glass of that inside the hydratube. I then poured some rubbing alcohol in and rinsed a fair amount. It cleared the mold right out. I wanted to check with members, to see if the glass is safe to use after cycling water/rubbing alcohol through it some more?

TL;DR: Used Clorox Outdoor Bleach to get rid of mold on my glass/hydratube. After rinsing it ~20 times, is it safe to use?

Last edited:
Senor Diesel,
Also, just realized I probably accidentally produced a small amount of chloroform. Everything has been thoroughly rinsed, though - so probably alright. Filled/shook, then emptied the hydratube 20-30x to make sure nothing was left behind.

Last edited:

Oogendoogan

This happened to me with a bubbler a while back when I went to Thailand for 2 months. Came back and the matrix bubbler was covered in mold.. couldn't get it out with ISO.. no matter how much ISO and salt I used it did nothing.

Now i don't know how you feel about this but I used bleach.. I did some research and unfortunately mold can resist a lot of safe cleaners and even acetone I believe.. it's kinda gross but bleach kills it. Just make sure you rinse it very well afterwards. I would probably rinse, soak, rinse, soak, repeat.

The bleach should work bro. Go and save your HT. I love my honeycomb HT :) would hate to have it out of commission.

Good luck :tup:

Edit: wow I only read the beginning and was like I can help this guy! Lol your good IMO man. Just let it soak and rinse it quite a few times and you should be good.

Peace

This happened to me with a bubbler a while back when I went to Thailand for 2 months. Came back and the matrix bubbler was covered in mold.. couldn't get it out with ISO.. no matter how much ISO and salt I used it did nothing.

Now i don't know how you feel about this but I used bleach.. I did some research and unfortunately mold can resist a lot of safe cleaners and even acetone I believe.. it's kinda gross but bleach kills it. Just make sure you rinse it very well afterwards. I would probably rinse, soak, rinse, soak, repeat.

The bleach should work bro. Go and save your HT. I love my honeycomb HT :) would hate to have it out of commission.

Good luck :tup:

Edit: wow I only read the beginning and was like I can help this guy! Lol your good IMO man. Just let it soak and rinse it quite a few times and you should be good.

Peace

I used it and I'm still alive. Might want to rinse it a bit more still. I was mostly concerned with the fact I used Outdoor Bleach and not Regular Bleach. Also the fact it had been combined with rubbing alcohol for a few seconds.

Run a hair dryer through it to make sure no fumes or such left behind.

Don't think a hairdryer will do anything, since it's honeycomb, etc... I can't smell any fumes. Will try anyways.

Senor Diesel,

Baron23

I used it and I'm still alive. Might want to rinse it a bit more still. I was mostly concerned with the fact I used Outdoor Bleach and not Regular Bleach. Also the fact it had been combined with rubbing alcohol for a few seconds.

Don't think a hairdryer will do anything, since it's honeycomb, etc... I can't smell any fumes. Will try anyways.
I don't think there is much different between outdoor and home (laundry) bleach.

My understanding is that household bleach has Sodium Polyacrylate to stop iron and manganese making things yellow.

The outdoor one has surfectants so that it soaks into doesn't just sit above the concrete and evaporate its bleach into the air uselessly.

But mostly its really the same stuff.

I don't think there is much different between outdoor and home (laundry) bleach.

My understanding is that household bleach has Sodium Polyacrylate to stop iron and manganese making things yellow.

The outdoor one has surfectants so that it soaks into doesn't just sit above the concrete and evaporate its bleach into the air uselessly.

But mostly its really the same stuff.

After rinsing it 30-40x, I'm sure all is fine. A friend and I used it again, and nothing was amiss. A half a shot was probably too much of the bleach, but it's cleaner than the day I got it from Vapexhale/Symbiartic. Bleach and alcohol remain great ways of cleaning it (albeit separately)

Senor Diesel,
Reactions: Baron23
Top Bottom