Moka pot espresso??

MinnBobber

Hi,

new moka pot ??

1. is it normal for brewed espresso to have a LOT of sediment? Mine does. OK to filter it out with a coffee filter?

2. does temp /flame you use to brew effect the taste? First 2 pots seemed very nice. Last pot I turned up the heat to brew faster and maybe had heat past the sweet spot--- heard bubbling but it was probably done.
This batch tastes faintly burnt, but could be my imagination. Does heat level make a difference.

Thanks

MinnBobber

thanks @steama ,
video was interesting.
1. they said use slightly coarser grind than espresso which I'll try---thought this produced espresso so went with espresso fine grind. Store grinder had 3 levels of espresso so I'll try just under "espresso zone" / slightly more coarse
2. they seem to say, as soon as gurgling starts, remove from heat and place lower unit under cold water...???? Will it still cycle the whole load thru to the top??? I keep on heat until gurgling almost stopped/got very faint. Anybody do it their way, remove from heat as soon as gurgling starts?? and cool it down then??
3. they said to start with hot water in the bottom so you are not heating up the ground coffee = less bitter. Will try

thanks again for the video info

MinnBobber,
Reactions: steama

fub

i like to use more of fine grind on mine. have been using it that way for years. i also add cold water. there is something with pressure and steam about using cold water, it turned out the be better.
i also let it gurgle just a little bit, then remove it from heat. i does have enough pressure at that point so you can take it of the heat and let it do its thing.
it is important to take it off the heat, because otherwise the coffee would start to boil and the powder would start to burn. and we fuck the ugly taste of combustion.
a good coffee temperature is around 90°C, so the coffee on top should never be boiling.
do not filter it with a coffee filter. you will have to get used to a bit of powder in the cup, thats how it is. turkish mokka for example has a lot of very fine ground powder in the cup. people just leave the last sip in the cup. also i find quality coffee power with a mild roast to be kind of tasty when in the cup.
last but not least you should put "a mountain of coffee" in the cup. thats how my italian friend does it, and she makes one of the best coffees i can get my hands on.

maybe you can get better results after playing around with heat, water amount, powder amound and powder grind.
i use "a mountain" of very fine powder, a very small amount of cold water (little more then one italian espresso cup) and the most heat my electirc stove can give. a gas stove work the best though.

Top Bottom