StemPod by MPL

supershredderdan

Manufacturer
U should show those pics individually, they didn't all show on my phone / tablet ... let me help u

Hey thanks, I'm still having trouble with images embedded in the forum post, I can't get it to work with any of the url types from imgur with the insert photo option. someone PM me please lol.

the overhang shouldn't be a major issue, barely noticeable. get a bigger mod if it bothers you? it's more important you have enough room to stuff all the necessary goodness inside there
Overall, the size and form looks nice, I was expecting some comically long sr-74-ish thing. It's barely longer than the DT Gen2 herb. You wouldn't even really need / want a recessed tank mod to go with that.

Glad the reactions to the size have been positive, We really want the profile of the atty to look at home on a high end mod. Also being 24 MM makes the height look more acceptable in proportion.

and this is the modular base that the pods attach to? also the convection heaters too?
this looks like a base, an atomizer coil / pod of some sort, and a cover?

Yep, pictured there is the full bottom assembly: heatsink base, no tools required postless heater deck (19mm), and coil cup (17.5mm)
Coil cup is optional and we are thinking of ceramic, but could produce the same part in different materials for variety/user choice. The heater deck just got an overhaul as well, we refined the mechanism to twist the body to secure the coil leads. That deck is one of the most unique features of the design, still being finalized so more info TBD

Not an expert, but I can try plugging in some different coils to see what works. It helps to have an open, versatile deck or or atomizer case (pod?) with good posts / contacts, and/or a pliable 510-like pin. I'm not a guy that favors metal coils, but I can see what's up with ceramics

sounds like a plan, I am not sure how well ceramic donuts would produce the required heat to convection heat, but are a great option for concentrates! They could be great though, would be very excited to have temperature controlled convection donut coils as an option if they can perform. Do you taste the metal from the heating element in other coil based convection vapes?

Vape Donkey 650

All vape, no smoke please.
Hey thanks, I'm still having trouble with images embedded in the forum post, I can't get it to work with any of the url types from imgur with the insert photo option. someone PM me please lol.

I only attempt to make posts of any substance on the computer at home. quotes, images, etc is not ez on a phone. learning imgur and vbb can be some learnin' too

sounds like a plan, I am not sure how well ceramic donuts would produce the required heat to convection heat, but are a great option for concentrates! They could be great though, would be very excited to have temperature controlled convection donut coils as an option if they can perform. Do you taste the metal from the heating element in other coil based convection vapes?

They can probably make convection-level heat if you used several of them in parallel, or better yet, used ceramic cylinders, or other shapes custom made to your purpose.

But to be clear, the modpod is primarily intended as a convection herb atomizer, with concentrates as an add on option. right? Would concentrate vaping be achieved through convection as well, or conduction?

Either way, you can figure it out, let's hope. :tup:

I do have lots of ceramic heaters for concentrates lying around my desk and I know how to wire them up into atomizer coils, but I don't have convection tubes lying around to build :D that's more into tubo territory. And for me, I don't taste the SS316 on the tubo, I actually get the slightest taste(smell) of wood sometimes :huh:

supershredderdan

Manufacturer
They can probably make convection-level heat if you used several of them in parallel, or better yet, used creamic cylinders or other shapes.

But to be clear, the modpod is primarily intended as a convection herb atomizer, with concentrates as an add on option? Would concentrate vaping be achieved through convection as well, or conduction?

Either way, you can figure it out, let's hope. :tup:

I do have lots of ceramic heaters on hands for concentrates and I know how to wire them up, but I don't have convection tubes lying around to build :D that's more tubo territory. And for me, I don't taste the SS316 on the tubo, I actually get the slightest taste(smell) of wood sometimes :huh:

Mainly convection herb, as that is the biggest priority with the overall design. Concentrates are best consumed from direct vaporization in my opinion, but if one prefers slow extraction and better flavor the bud-wax-bud method could work inside the pod. If there is enough request a convection concentrate pod could be made to fit into the midpiece and could be something like a porus ceramic, titanium wick in steel housing, or whatever else people want. All just ideas at this point though, at launch the main way to vape concentrates would be direct on the coil. will work best with more intricate coils with more wraps, curves, and crevices for the concentrate to soak into

Vape Donkey 650

Ok, herb convection must be perfected first, then find multiple ways for concentrates after that, secondary. If you mean by "direct vaporization" (conduction), I think concentrates are best vaped through conduction. The internals and specifics of the modpod are still to be determined, so perhaps concentrate pods can be made with both conduct/convection, or even hybrid? And having a coil or pod with options, that can be good, hopefully you don't get "over-optioned" and spread yourself to thin... (source?)

I was just looking at the rbt splinter since it was mentioned here, what a lovely vape, I wish it would temp control! Then I would want one! Why doesn't RBT want TC? :huh: This leaves space open for you to distinguish your mod pod, Dan.

Vape Donkey 650,
Reactions: KeroZen

supershredderdan

Manufacturer
Ok, herb convection must be perfected first, then find multiple ways for concentrates after that, secondary. If you mean by "direct vaporization" (conduction), I think concentrates are best vaped through conduction. The internals and specifics of the modpod are still to be determined, so perhaps concentrate pods can be made with both conduct/convection, or even hybrid? And having a coil or pod with options, that can be good, hopefully you don't get "over-optioned" and spread yourself to thin... (source?)

I was just looking at the rbt splinter since it was mentioned here, what a lovely vape, I wish it would temp control! Then I would want one! Why doesn't RBT want TC? :huh: This leaves space open for you to distinguish your mod pod, Dan.

I am not too worried about the performance with concentrates, I can fit coils in the coil cup that I can barely make on my goon or Pi2 clone with the added benefit of being surrounded in ceramic and specialized top down airflow.

a few people have talked to me about hybrid heating. It certainly could be attempted with a coil that wrapped around the body of the herb pod and also made a stove top under the herb pod. I would be curious how well it would stand up to constant swapping of chambers.

I know I'm mentioning a lot of potential accessories, but the amount of pieces/add ons we create and offer depend on how profitable the business becomes and if the demand justifies the cost to R&D and produce. I would expect to take the approach of doing limited runs of more niche pieces and if there was a demand for them to be restocked we would weigh our options then. I like the idea of having a ever growing system with lots of user choice, but progressively phase out older pieces so that the parts list doesn't become overwhelming. Still way too early to talk about the expanded product line but it will probably be play by ear.

On demand convection and TC with enough power to rip hard without overwhelming the heater is the goal. We want the end result of ModPod dialed in to be able to hand to a friend and they can just hold the button and pull hard and get a good rip. no pulsing, no preheating, no inhale technique. I feel with dual battery mods with high wattage limits and low ohm coils for more precise TC can accomplish this end goal.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Do you mean the heating coil will serve both purposes (flowers&CC) while loading wax directly on the coil...? if yes, I can see a taste issue coming from wax residue on the coil burning while vaping flowers...

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
But where is the mouthpiece / vapor cooling part? With convection you need quite some length to be barely sufficient. The Firewood 2.1 stock mouthpiece was completely unusable to me for instance. The MVT and Milaana stems are the bare minimum for me and they are quite long. And I do get some throat discomfort from time to time, even if I consider myself very tolerant compared to most users.

If the mod is not mounted side by side then you end up with a silly looking aspect ratio. This was the case with the Project Eraser mounted on top of my VTC mini. People kept telling me it was weird looking, one even said it looked like a gaz stove igniter... Someone coined the "pistol look" earlier.

Also I don't know if that's your intention but I don't believe the same coil could be used for dry herbs and concentrates. I wouldn't vape dry herbs on a coil that has been in contact with anything personally (@PPN beat me to it!)

Doesn't the tesla 40 support 24mm attys?

Don't know. I considered one Tesla mod at some point but it had no USB port, meaning no firmware update nor USB charging and it was a show stopper for me. Besides, I'm not sure how their TC implementation is and I don't want to use crappy TC.

Why doesn't RBT want TC?

It's not that he doesn't want, it's just that SS mesh heaters don't work in TC (not enough of a resistance change, dynamics are different with all these tiny circuits in parallel)

Last edited:

supershredderdan

Manufacturer
But where is the mouthpiece / vapor cooling part? With convection you need quite some length to be barely sufficient. The Firewood 2.1 stock mouthpiece was completely unusable to me for instance. The MVT and Milaana stems are the bare minimum for me and they are quite long. And I do get some throat discomfort from time to time, even if I consider myself very tolerant compared to most users.

We are still designing that, those 3D prints were from early May. I meet with my team later today to go over CAD changes so we will see whats up with the cooling chamber then.

If the mod is not mounted side by side then you end up with a silly looking aspect ratio. This was the case with the Project Eraser mounted on top of my VTC mini. People kept telling me it was weird looking, one even said it looked like a gaz stove igniter... Someone coined the "pistol look" earlier.

So you felt that the size of the ModPod still looked akward? It isn't much bigger than a DC gen 2 and is in line with many modern juice tanks.

Also I don't know if that's your intention but I don't believe the same coil could be used for dry herbs and concentrates. I wouldn't vape dry herbs on a coil that has been in contact with anything personally (@PPN beat me to it!)

It is a possibility but if that is a concern, then you can swap the coils for concentrates. I would imagine needing to do a burn off before using a dual purpose coil for convection.

supershredderdan,

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
So you felt that the size of the ModPod still looked akward? It isn't much bigger than a DC gen 2 and is in line with many modern juice tanks.

I think someone needs to make a better SBS mod box with upgradable firmware. Perhaps you could have a retractable arm that comes out the side or something so size would not be an issue.

The spliter wont fit any SBS available at the mo - i am definatley getting one of those and i dont want two mod boxes. Ill put up with the pistol look.

The heat of the vapor is more of a worry. Can the mod pod not use some kinda stem system?

Last edited:
oddjobold,

supershredderdan

Manufacturer
kqULC7D.jpg
[/IMG]
kqULC7D.jpg

Here is our new addition to the design, a modular cooling chamber for both herb and concentrate use. We are still finalizing the details so I can't say much about it, but I am confident we have addressed the concerns people had concerning vapor harshness.

Other Side

Retailer
Retailer
Welcome to FC @supershredderdan !

You have your work cut out to meet/exceed the dry herb performance of the Splinter but if you can even come close yet add concentrate capability (without cotton/hemp fiber) in a smaller form factor then I think you'll really be in business!

Can't wait to see how this turns out and I'm sure I'll be in for one when the time comes!

Vape Donkey 650

I am not too worried about the performance with concentrates, I can fit coils in the coil cup that I can barely make on my goon or Pi2 clone with the added benefit of being surrounded in ceramic and specialized top down airflow.

a few people have talked to me about hybrid heating. It certainly could be attempted with a coil that wrapped around the body of the herb pod and also made a stove top under the herb pod. I would be curious how well it would stand up to constant swapping of chambers.

I know I'm mentioning a lot of potential accessories, but the amount of pieces/add ons we create and offer depend on how profitable the business becomes and if the demand justifies the cost to R&D and produce. I would expect to take the approach of doing limited runs of more niche pieces and if there was a demand for them to be restocked we would weigh our options then. I like the idea of having a ever growing system with lots of user choice, but progressively phase out older pieces so that the parts list doesn't become overwhelming. Still way too early to talk about the expanded product line but it will probably be play by ear.

On demand convection and TC with enough power to rip hard without overwhelming the heater is the goal. We want the end result of ModPod dialed in to be able to hand to a friend and they can just hold the button and pull hard and get a good rip. no pulsing, no preheating, no inhale technique. I feel with dual battery mods with high wattage limits and low ohm coils for more precise TC can accomplish this end goal.

Ok, I'm starting to get a better idea of your intent here, especially with the last paragraph.

The more I read now, the less I see how conventional coil building skills will come into play here? This seems more modular with pre-made coils, kind of like the HVT sai or source orbs (except convection of course)

I can see you pulling a hybrid heater sort of like the crafty chamber, all you need is to build some electrical contacts on the pod so they can conduct current with their own heater coils, as well as holding the dry herbs or concentrates and passing airflow through them. :sherlock: but that might be un-neccessarily complex

Do you mean the heating coil will serve both purposes (flowers&CC) while loading wax directly on the coil...? if yes, I can see a taste issue coming from wax residue on the coil burning while vaping flowers...

Yes... you won't want to put concentrates directly on some convection coils. That's what the pods are for, it seems.

I can see that a relatively short vapor path can cause some harshness issues here, but maybe Dan has some more tricks up his sleeve with a longer internal vapor path or some other tricks? If not, the 14 / 18mm WPA adapter tip could provide more cooling potential, but it would be nice to be able to comfortably use this future atty just dry, off the mouthpiece too

It's not that he doesn't want, it's just that SS mesh heaters don't work in TC (not enough of a resistance change, dynamics are different with all these tiny circuits in parallel)

Hmm, ok I don't know much about the splinter. When vapes lack TC i tend to look away. I do have some experience with SS mesh throwing off my TC operation though :bang:

Also, what you guys are calling SBS mods, I know as RT (recessed tank) mods, same thing right? With the current size of this barely bigger than a DT V2 herb atty, I don't think it's gonna look so big on a regular mod?

kqULC7D.jpg
[/IMG]
kqULC7D.jpg

Here is our new addition to the design, a modular cooling chamber for both herb and concentrate use. We are still finalizing the details so I can't say much about it, but I am confident we have addressed the concerns people had concerning vapor harshness.

Nice...this part will be key? What materials are you thinking for this part? Ceramic, quartz or glass might be the most desirable and feasible?

Is this above the chamber that holds the vaping materials, or does this part hold it? Does it have top or bottom airflow?

There won't be any current flowing through this cooler?

Last edited:

supershredderdan

Manufacturer
I can see that a relatively short vapor path can cause some harshness issues here, but maybe Dan has some more tricks up his sleeve with a longer internal vapor path or some other tricks? If not, the 14 / 18mm WPA adapter tip could provide more cooling potential, but it would be nice to be able to comfortably use this future atty just dry, off the mouthpiece too

Nice...this part will be key? What materials are you thinking for this part? Ceramic, quartz or glass might be the most desirable and feasible?

Is this above the chamber that holds the vaping materials, or does this part hold it? Does it have top or bottom airflow?

There won't be any current flowing through this cooler?

The internal cooling chamber is engineered around our swappable herb pods, and gives the vapor about 40mm of path to travel before going through the drip tip. For materials, we will keep it consistent with the rest of the design so metal, ceramic, and glass are on the table.

No current through the cooling chamber, only the build deck.

The more I read now, the less I see how conventional coil building skills will come into play here? This seems more modular with pre-made coils, kind of like the HVT sai or source orbs (except convection of course)

we will have premade coils, but the idea is to allow users to create their own coils and allow them the space and easy build deck to do so. We won't be selling coils in manufactured cups of metal and ceramic though, which would be more sai/source style. We incorporated most of the elements of a coil cup into the bottom half of ModPod itself.

Yes... you won't want to put concentrates directly on some convection coils. That's what the pods are for, it seems.

Pods are primarily for herb, but could also be bud + wax +bud or an alternative concentrate pod. If you don't like the idea of a dual purpose coil, then users can quickly swap the coil on the deck from a convection specialized coil to a concentrate coil for applying concentrate directly onto the coil.

Other Side

Retailer
Retailer
For those interested in the recessed tank type mod, I came across this one which looks promising...

https://m.fasttech.com/products/0/10024650/6456301-authentic-rofvape-witcher-75w-tc-vw-apv-box-mod

It accepts up to 25mm tanks which is perfect for this application, has a removable 18650, 7-75W, has TC (although no reports on how good it works) and looks pretty ergonomic.

I'm probably going to pick one up to play around with my SAI/DT gear. Love how cheap these mods are compared to the prices in the traditional dry herb world.

Adobewan

For those interested in the recessed tank type mod, I came across this one which looks promising...

https://m.fasttech.com/products/0/10024650/6456301-authentic-rofvape-witcher-75w-tc-vw-apv-box-mod

It accepts up to 25mm tanks which is perfect for this application, has a removable 18650, 7-75W, has TC (although no reports on how good it works) and looks pretty ergonomic.

I'm probably going to pick one up to play around with my SAI/DT gear. Love how cheap these mods are compared to the prices in the traditional dry herb world.
That's cool looking @Other Side Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the unit.
So agree on the price comparison. With more and more legalization/acceptance, I hope the prices in the herb world will eventually lower to these.

supershredderdan

Manufacturer
Can the mod pod not use some kinda stem system?

I accidentally brushed over this question. It would not be hard to implement a female 14/18mm stem adaptor with an adjustable screen to replace the cooling chamber and swappable herb pod assembly. This piece could be used to open ModPod up to a world of stems and glass adapters when at home or when stealth is not a concern.

Picture this: you go out for the day and preload a few herb pod assemblies and swap them through your ModPod while out and about. Then when you get home, you take these pieces out and replace them with the stem adapter.

Now in the comfort of your own home, you can easily use ModPod log style through a water pipe and large stems with basket screens!

What do you guys think of this as an accessory/alt insert?

supershredderdan

Manufacturer
Sounds good to me!

Would be good if this was part of the initial kit even it meant overall price was a liitle more.

My vote would be for a 14mm.

Will probably consider the adapter as a future accessory, we want people to focus on the herb pods and cooling chamber as vital features at least at launch. We were thinking the first accessory would be a custom 810 driptip wpa (easiest to develop, could also be marketed to people who make wax coils in RDAs), then we would look into the stem adapter or other things the community requests.

Why 14mm out of curiosity?

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Will probably consider the adapter as a future accessory, we want people to focus on the herb pods and cooling chamber as vital features at least at launch. We were thinking the first accessory would be a custom 810 driptip wpa (easiest to develop, could also be marketed to people who make wax coils in RDAs), then we would look into the stem adapter or other things the community requests.

Why 14mm out of curiosity?

I take it we are talking a male not a female end to the adapter?

In which case a stem with a 14mm female would be a lot more managable.

An 18mm female stem would be quite thick.

Also you can get a 14mm to 18mm adapter which adds little to the overall length.

oddjobold,

supershredderdan

Manufacturer
Ahh so a female end. This is sooo cool.

In that case i would say a 18mm. This would match the splinter / milaana stems. I think the majority prefer the 18mm of a Milaana to the 14mm of a MVT. Its better airflow with a 18mm.

I talked to my team about the adapter and we will decide whether or not to include it in the beta units once we test our first prototype (which we pushed back to redesign the herb pod and cooling chamber as our 3d prints were not quite right)

would you guys prefer glass fit inside a metal housing, or an all metal piece that tapers to fit the stem? We can weigh the cost of both approaches but if there is a strong preference then that is something we should consider as well.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
I talked to my team about the adapter and we will decide whether or not to include it in the beta units once we test our first prototype (which we pushed back to redesign the herb pod and cooling chamber as our 3d prints were not quite right)

would you guys prefer glass fit inside a metal housing, or an all metal piece that tapers to fit the stem? We can weigh the cost of both approaches but if there is a strong preference then that is something we should consider as well.

Personally i dont have a strong preference. Maybe the glass as you would get a tighter fit with a rough surface than a shiny metal surface. Unless the metal was a matt finish.

oddjobold,
Reactions: KeroZen

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
My instinct is to say glass for flavour but if this is a portable unit then all metal will mean you can through your mod about with this on it and not worry about it breaking.

Now obviously when I say throw around I don't actually mean chucking it at a wall or anything. I just mean it would be one less thing to worry about.

I guess like @oddjobold I don't have a strong preference.

Top Bottom