Mod Box Temp Sensing...

TommyDee

Vaporitor
This may actually be a repeated question but it has to be asked since I can't find it...

What does the circuit of those MODs that have a temp readout do to sense the temperature of the thermal path? Is it algorithmic based on actual power draw, settings, and PWM or is there a physical sensor?

TYIA

TommyDee,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Sensor-less. Or well nope, there's an ohm-meter in the form of a shunt resistance inside and the mod reads the current across it. With the resistance value and knowing the material used for the coil(s) you can extrapolate the temperature rise given a TFR curve (i.e. coefficients of resistance change vs temperature rise)

KeroZen,
Reactions: TommyDee

Bumping Spheda

@TommyDee You can find a TCR value for your Halogen bulb and run it in Temp Sensing mode. Get a thermometer, keep it where your bud will be kept, run Halogen, read temp on thermometer, read temp on box mod, adjust TCR value up or down accordingly. You'll find the sweet spot pretty quickly, I'd imagine.

Bumping Spheda,
Reactions: TommyDee

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I suspect you're right. That is what freaked me out @Bumping Spheda . This mod won't do that but the next one will. Turns out MF screens are stable in their impedance so that isn't a problem.

Learned today that 8 watts was perfect for Moad Dib.
What temp do you think a blood red barely glowing screen is :science:
Okay, maybe back off to 7 watts :rant:

Now I need to figure out how to reliably measure bulb temps. :peace:

TommyDee,
Top Bottom