Mobius Flowerpot

nodrog

So. Received the V2 Flower Pot from JFriendly, but no glass stem. Jon at JFriendly was very understanding when I said I wanted the version with the handle and said that he would replace mine at no cost. I'm still waiting on the new top for the Flower Pot, as they don't have them yet. In the meantime, he told me I did not have to return the one I already had. So, I thought, it's not ideal but it's definitely usable! Fired up the burner on my gas grill outside (still no torch in my life) and played around with it. Worked GREAT! Not an efficient use of cannabis, so perhaps best for shake vs expensive bud. That said, this little magical piece of formed quartz is the real deal. Heat it up to the right temperature, inhale a few times, give it a touch more heat while you stir, then inhale again a few more times. Awesome.

So, I use it very successfully once. Used wooden tongs to handle it (the glass handle will be way better). Then, 10 minutes later, I accidentally drop a small jar while getting it off a high shelf and smash the Flower Pot all to shit. At least it missed my Nuc matrix bubbler. Barely. I couldn't believe it. My brand new $200 Mobius vaporizer smashed.

brokenpot_zpsrluqkz3k.jpg

Contacted JFriendly with my sob story, and to request they order me a new one. To my delight, since Jon was already going to send me a replacement top, he's sending the whole thing for < $200. So psyched. It's like he wants to be my go-to place for glass in the future or something. Great customer service. Can't wait to get it and try again.

In the meantime, I asked over at the Mobius page on FB about using a propane camping stove vs a torch and John Mobius himself said he'd been experimenting doing just that. Said it's much quieter than the regular torch. Following his suggestions, I ordered this very small backpacking stove that fits on a propane cannister (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0BSDO4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Apparently with the tiny legs folded in, the Flower Pot nestles perfectly above the tiny flame. Set it on low, wait (not sure how long) until it reaches the right temperature then good to go. John said he's preferring this as a desktop setup vs torching the thing.

I'll update here in a week or two when I have the replacement Flower Pot and my desktop heating is arranged!

Last edited:

justvapin

Enthusiastic Cannabis Consumer
Man, sorry to see that happened.....one of the drawbacks of this piece obviously. Glad to see the folks at JFriendly taking care of you. They sent me a new top last week which I should receive tomorrow, at no cost.
Hadn't considered the camp stove idea, that could be a good solution.

Edit: went up the street to local sporting goods store and grabbed that camp stove. It's still almost as loud as the torch I'm using, a bit more quiet. You can adjust it to hold the cap nicely, not sure how heating will go---seems like the long glass stem might get hot because of heat coming from underneath, at least as I have envisioned using it so far. I'll test later.

Edit 2: Not as loud as it seemed when in use. Actually worked pretty well, heat time seemed like around 30-35 seconds instead of 20 on first heat up, but could likely turn up stove more (gets louder) and cut that back some. Only got to test one bowl, so I'll have to mess around with heat up time. It does work though. Need to put the cap on the stove so the stem is horizontal, or it gets too hot. But the "arms" on the stove grab it perfectly so the stem can lay off to side. Some experimentation with heating times and we have a winner!! Much quieter!! THANKS @nodrog!!!

Last edited:
justvapin,
Reactions: nodrog

nodrog

Edit 2: Not as loud as it seemed when in use. Actually worked pretty well, heat time seemed like around 30-35 seconds instead of 20 on first heat up, but could likely turn up stove more (gets louder) and cut that back some. Only got to test one bowl, so I'll have to mess around with heat up time. It does work though. Need to put the cap on the stove so the stem is horizontal, or it gets too hot. But the "arms" on the stove grab it perfectly so the stem can lay off to side. Some experimentation with heating times and we have a winner!! Much quieter!! THANKS @nodrog!!!

Very glad to read this. For a desktop vape, I'm happy with any heating time under 5 minutes, so sounds like this camp stove will work really well. I mean, you want the smallest effective flame in the easiest-to-use configuration. I'm super psyched to have similar setup soon. Are you using the "Iso-butane/propane" fuel?

Are you also finding that this is an effective -- but less efficient -- use of weed than combustion? Or once you've figured out optimal timing/temperature, is it about similar? Also, can you share any photos of your desktop setup and/or use of the Flower Pot?

justvapin

Actually, I love his thing. It is among my favorites to be honest. And thanks again for the lead on the stove--it works so well!!

Yes--that appears to be the only fuel you can use with this stove (must be MSR branded fuel ISO-butane-propane with this particular stove you linked), and not easy to find. I found a bunch of 8oz cans of MSR fuel at Academy sports and grabbed a couple, but wanted the smaller 4oz cans and they had none. Shipping costs too much for those I could find on line (if they will even ship them), so will live with 8oz for now. But agian--- beware---only MSR fuel with this stove you linked.

I can't post pics, but can tell you the set up is simple. You will find how the cap basically locks onto the stove in a horizontal position very securely. Around 30 second heat-up from cold start with stove on about medium (still need to play around and get times/temp just right), then subsequent heat ups of about 10-12 seconds for each draw. First hit all flavor, then second thru 4th or 5th hit are milky town, if you have it heated. The stove seems a little more forgiving than the torch, so that's a plus as well. Just 2 seconds too long with the torch, and you may combust. Stove is not quite so picky. And really much quieter, I can close door and use in another room without being noticed now....perfect. I stir after first hit, then can just give it a little shake after that between each hit.

It is EXTREMELY efficient. I am getting 5-6 rather large hits from a modest load ....Only problem is that hits are so nice, and tasty, I want to have another...and another.....etc. I think, for me, it is far MORE efficient than combusting. Not even close IMO.

Last edited:

justvapin

I got my V2 cap for the Flowerpot I ordered from JFriendly today. The sent it to me for free. Quite impressed with their customer service at this point. They did not have to do that, yet they did.
I will shop there again most assuredly.

Now I have 2 full working versions of the Flowerpot, and a spare cap without the long stem (but it still works the same, just not as easy to handle). I wanted a back-up just because of the story written above.
I really don't want to be without this piece at this time, I really love it. Having the back-up, I may even feel compelled to pack one up and take to a friends house someday.

I got an Errlectric on Saturday as well, which hits almost exactly like this. Life is treating my vape needs well at the moment.

Oh yeah, the stove I posted about yesterday-----excellent. I can now use this thing in a private room anytime I want without being "discovered". Excellent.

nodrog

(note: written for a more general audience than this group)

I Freaking Love This Möbius Flower Pot Vaporizer

I have been on a slow-moving quest for about 20 years to find a cannabis flower vaporizer that is easy to use and truly effective (for a stoner like me with a high tolerance). Seems I typically find one or the other, and I've tried a variety of disappointing and/or cumbersome vaporizers over the years. I am delighted to report that I have, at last, found a fantastic and potent and SIMPLE way to effectively vaporize flowers.

The general concept is that the desirable resins and oils vaporize at a lower temperature than combustion, so by vaporizing ground cannabis flowers one can get nice and stoned without taking all that burned plant material with tars and such into your lungs.

The Flower Pot is a simple vaporizer adaptor for your bong. It is comprised of a small bucket that fits in the bong and a quartz cap with a long handle. The cap has 3 thick rings with holes between them. You heat up the cap, place it on the bucket containing ground flowers, and when you inhale, the air is heated by being drawn through the holes in the cap and the material is thereby vaporized.

The cap can be heated with a torch, a gas stove, a camping stove (which is what I use), or other flame source. Regardless of what you choose, you need to determine the optimal setting for vaporization:

- The cap can get so hot it combusts the flowers

- Experiment to find the right heat level such that the herb doesn't quite combust and does vaporize. On my micro camping stove, this is a very low flame which helps the cap reach the right temperature in about 3 minutes. The flowers should turn brown but not black when you inhale, and you should see a light haze of vapor but not smoke in your bong. At the right temperature, you can taste the cannabis resins nicely.

- Once the cap has reached the correct temperature, it achieves a "steady state" where you can keep it on the flame and just remove it when you're ready to inhale.

- Another technique I read was to use a regular dab torch for 12-15 seconds, then retorch for 5-6 seconds as needed.

Usage:

- Place chosen amount of ground flowers in the bucket, then place heated cap on bucket.

- Inhale.

- Place cap back on flame source.

- While you hold it and/or exhale, give the ground flowers a little stir.

- Place cap back on bucket, inhale again.

- Repeat 2-4 times

- Empty out the bucket (save the weed for cooking) and go again!

I am ridiculously pleased with this setup, which instantly became the main way I use cannabis at home. It's really simple and works very well -- easily the most awesome vaporizer I've ever encountered.

Caution: if you use a camping stove like I do, remember that they put out odorless carbon monoxide. Be sure to use in a well-ventilated area or by an open window.

IMG_4519_zps4hztdo9n.jpg

IMG_4520_zpsvvzl9a35.jpg

IMG_4522_zpslikli09m.jpg

IMG_4523_zpsjpws6vkm.jpg

IMG_4524_zpscovjxwjc.jpg

IMG_4530_zpsfqs5aeng.jpg

IMG_4533_zpsicwfojej.jpg

IMG_4534_zpsg443zgck.jpg

justvapin

Well I've been waiting to see this post from you. Like you, I have found that I simply love this vape. It is certainly among the most powerful I have, and the flavors are always excellent, and well as completely thorough extractions. Just have to watch the heat, it is not hard to combust. I am also using a camp stove like yours, as well as a regular torch.

It is fragile, as you know. But it is certainly one of my favorites now. I also got an Errlectric, which uses the same concept (big block of heat on top of a glass bowl), and I love it as well. I've only gotten my Evo out once lately (tho I love it too). I cannot get over the size of hits I can get with this vaporizer.
Enormous. Bring you to your knees enormous.

nodrog

So, I posted my story/photos on the Mobius group FB page and got a long response from John Mobius! Check it:

John Mobius Dang Gordon Kelley . What a thoughtful review. I'm glad you're happy with the function of the Flowerpot. Here is a little backstory on it's invention. As a few people know, I quit using cannabis about 11 years ago. I was unhealthy, both mentally and physically, from a whole host of issues in my life. At 25 I decided to stop cold turkey and focus on my mental health. This proved to be a very helpful decision for me. Where I found myself at 25 was not where I wanted to be and I knew I needed to make some changes. Life went on, I did some heavy lifting on some issues I was putting off and things improved. About 5-6 years ago I started Mobius and got married and that was a great improvement in my life. 2 years later I had my first child and things kept blossoming, but in the duration of those 10 years I found myself drinking beer every night. Not a crazy amount, just an unhealthy amount and I knew this deep inside and it nagged at me. I want to live a long and meaningful life outside of work and I knew the way I was living wasn't going to lead to a long and meaningful life and I began to feel the mental health blues sneak back in.... Then last year, due to a few factors, I realized I needed to make a change and "quit" drinking. It was at this time that I listened to an audio book while blowing glass called "Smoke Signals: A Social History of Marijuana - Medical, Recreational and Scientific" by Martin A Lee. In this book Lee wrote about CBD and the benefits of that cannabinoid on the endocannabinoid system as a whole. At this point, I didn't even know CBD existed. I was deep in the "culture" with my glass work, but way out of the loop. I gave it much thought and talked with my wife about it extensively and decided to get a doctor's recommendation to use cannabis as an alternative to alcohol. I was scared because I knew how deep I got into abusing cannabis when I was younger, but I felt like trying it was worth it. Since the day I started using high CBD cannabis, about 14 months ago, I have literally had less than 10 beers in that period of time. It's literally changed my life. I'm not opposed to alcohol at all, and Ill have a drink on a special occasion, but I realize now that it's simply an unhealthy thing for me to put in my body on a regular basis. You all may have noticed an increase my creativity, I certainly feel it. And I'm just so much more happy and healthy. I simply don't crave alcohol at all anymore. I keep my cannabis consumption to late evenings. I don't use it while I work, because I know what a slippery slope that can become. It's weird... this has taught me that we can all work and participate in this community and also be balanced and healthy too, if that's what we want....This leads to the invention of the flower pot. I knew when I started using cannabis again that I didn't want to dab and I didn't want to smoke. I wanted to figure out a way to vaporize without the need for petroleum products, combustion, plastic electrical devices or dabbing since somthing was telling me inside that I should avoid those things. Way back in the day I used the heat gun vaporizer and I found it to be very effective, but I also didn't like breathing air being sucked through an electronic device of suspect origin. So I embarked on a quest to use heated quartz as a heat source to vaporize in a way that delivered all the bite of a solid bong hit, without any combustion or clunky electronic vaporizer devices. I made many prototypes, simply to invent a device that I could use. I knew that if it pleased me, it would please other people too, but I was in no rush to release it. So about 9 months after the first prototype was in use in my shop I released V1. Shortly after that I released V2 because ultimately it needed to function primarily as a vaporizer, not a dual purpose vape/dab nail and it needed more thermal mass in the quartz in order to vaporize a larger bowl. The larger quartz top made it incompatible with an enail, but that was ok with me because I wanted it to be first and foremost be a vaporizer for dry herb. So that's how the Flower Pot V2 got to where it is now. Thanks for reading this long ass post lol and Thank you to Gordon and all the rest of you for your feedback.

justvapin

Excellent post man. Love hearing about the history of a product like this. And yes, I love the fact that this thing is such a "pure" device. Nothing but glass and a screen. Absolute clean convection.

Thank you for posting this.

justvapin,

justvapin

Enthusiasm for Cannabis.....BOUNDLESS........

@nodrog , love that part of sig. I've been an enthusiast since I was about 12-13.....perfect way to say it.

Wish I had discovered vaporization much earlier.....so many years , doing it wrong....

justvapin,

MinnBobber

Mighty dosing capsules???
Any of you lucky Flowerpot owners also own S & B vapes and have their dosing capsules?
Do they fit in the Flowerpot lower herb chamber?

I just hate messin' with raw herb in chambers when capsules are so much better IMO/ for me.
I use miniVAP Flexicone basket modules in many of my vapes and also the S & B dosing capsules.

Thanks

MinnBobber,

nodrog

Mighty dosing capsules???
Any of you lucky Flowerpot owners also own S & B vapes and have their dosing capsules?
Do they fit in the Flowerpot lower herb chamber?

I just hate messin' with raw herb in chambers when capsules are so much better IMO/ for me.
I use miniVAP Flexicone basket modules in many of my vapes and also the S & B dosing capsules.

Thanks

Never heard of a S&B vape or dosing capsules. What are these things and why do you prefer them?

b0

Cloudy...
What a surprise!! Have been searching something similar to the Gn0me for a while, really liked the idea behind that vaporizer and that same as the VapCap, you don't need to worry about batteries/plugs to use it.

This Mobius vaporizer looks as a similar idea but better done, the pictures look amazing!!

Gonna search some more reviews/videos, but I can see one on my collection soon...

Edit: Just thought that this vape has to be AMAZING for kief/hash :haw:

Last edited:

Baron23

Never heard of a S&B vape or dosing capsules. What are these things and why do you prefer them?
S&B = Storz & Bickel, makers of Volcano, Plenty, Mighty, and Crafty
Dosing capsules = small disposable capsules that S&B came out with for reduced loads and pre-filling of doses.

MinnBobber

....................................................................................

Like Baron said, a small capsule that you can preload.
mm-dosierkapsel-top-tip_1_1.jpg

Handy for pre-loading and they keep chambers 10X cleaner. Easier to unload after session vs dumping and brushing out a chamber. Neg---they get hotter than hell so you need to be careful or let them cool.

Here's a pic of Herbalizer with a dosing capsule in the chamber AND a miniVAP Flexicone basket module next to it. I use the Flexicones in Herbie and many other vapes of mine. Preload, keeps the chambers spotless, silicone lid it not as hot on fingers---- love 'em

Herbie%20w%20SB%20capsule.jpg

If I had a flowerpot, my preferance would be Flexicones BUT their profile may not work with Flowerpot design. flexicone would need to sit with wire basket up, toward incoming hot air and silicone cover down------maybe FP chamber is big enough ????

MinnBobber,

justvapin

I just can't imagine wanting to use those with this vape. It is such a clean device, nothing but glass and the screen. It stays very clean for them most part, so I just don't see any advantage for this (for me anyway). Also, I find it very helpful to be able to SEE the flower, and make sure you don't combust....I'm probably missing something.....

LysergicHysteric

Editor-In-Chief of Vapelord.Reviews
I just can't imagine wanting to use those with this vape. It is such a clean device, nothing but glass and the screen. It stays very clean for them most part, so I just don't see any advantage for this (for me anyway). Also, I find it very helpful to be able to SEE the flower, and make sure you don't combust....I'm probably missing something.....

The all glass aspect of this vaporizer is why I am so interested in it currently, I definitely agree with you whole hardily with this sentiment.

LysergicHysteric,
Reactions: justvapin

justvapin

It's simply fantastic. When I get the heat just right, it delivers the most powerful and flavorful hit of any vape I have. And I've gotten pretty good with the heat.

Polyrhythm

Nice video, thank you! I had some questions if you dont mind :)
I was hard to see how much you loaded from the grinder. I'm sure it wasn't that entire nug, but figured I would ask. Do you think you use more or less herb than usual with this method? If you want to have less hits, but larger hits, is that possible, or does the that increase the chances of combustion? So a larger butane torch will not get the quartz hot enough, you have to use propane? Reason I ask is I can get my quartz nail to glow pretty easily, would that piece be glowing if there was less light?

I am definitely interested in this, thanks for sharing! :rockon:

nodrog

Nice video, thank you! I had some questions if you dont mind :)
I was hard to see how much you loaded from the grinder. I'm sure it wasn't that entire nug, but figured I would ask. Do you think you use more or less herb than usual with this method? If you want to have less hits, but larger hits, is that possible, or does the that increase the chances of combustion? So a larger butane torch will not get the quartz hot enough, you have to use propane? Reason I ask is I can get my quartz nail to glow pretty easily, would that piece be glowing if there was less light?

I am definitely interested in this, thanks for sharing! :rockon:

- Yes, I used the whole nug in the video. Just doesn't look like that much after grinding. I generally use more herb with this vaporizer than if I were smoking. I get about as high as if I were dabbing, which being a concentrate, likely works out to "more herb than if I were smoking". This is all not so much a limitation of the vaporizer, but more a reflection of my desire to have a high level of THC in my system. ;-)

- A larger butane torch should work great. The temperature really doesn't have to be that high. If it works on a quartz nail, it should work on this quartz vaporizer.

Top Bottom