MMJ patient here. Want to switch to vaporizing. Never tried one. Need advice/recommendations

Hey all. I’ve been a medical marijuana patient for a few years, and after having smoked 3-4 bowls a day because of my condition (spastic triplegia due to cerebral palsy, for those curious) my lungs aren’t feeling great. I want to switch to vaporizing in an effort to help that and save some money, but I’ve never used one before so I don’t really know what to get. I’ve looked at a couple, but I need to know if there’s options/factors I haven’t looked at.
I would like one small enough to carry around in a fanny pack, and I know that I don’t really want something that would have to be plugged in or constantly charged, as I need to be able to take it with me and being S.O.L. when I REALLY need it would suck. So, I’ve been looking into butane powered vaporizers since carrying a small torch instead of my usual bic doesn’t seem too hard. I would also really like something I can attach to my bong for home use, as I’m very attached to it and it’s my favorite way to smoke. So far, I’ve found the lotus and the sticky brick jr.
With the lotus, it really seems like the most convenient and easily translated from a regular bowl with the WPA and all, but I’m not sure that I constantly want to be unscrewing/stirring the thing as it’d be kinda irritating with my condition. Another thing about it is that it’s metal. I know that you’re not necessarily getting any more than you would with regular air, but I dunno, it just makes me feel weird. Also, to be frank, the pipe itself sorta looks like it could be mistaken for a crack pipe if I ever had to use it outside my home. (No offense to the guy that makes it, I’m sure his product is fantastic!)
As far as the sticky brick, I really like that it’s magnetic instead of having threads or anything; but would the magnets just come apart if I was carrying it around, or is that not something I should worry about? Also, if I do attach it to my piece would it make it too front heavy? I don’t want something that makes my piece super tippy, because I love it a lot. Another thing I thought of. Would I need to use the carb instead of pulling it out by the massive hook like a bowl? If so, I’d like to find a shorter way to attach it. I assume I’m going to need an adapter of some kind with the sticky brick since my piece has a 45 degree downstem?
So, that’s where I’m at so far. Does anyone have any advice or alternative recommendations? My budget is like $300. I’d like to have one by the end of the week. Any help is appreciated.

~Legman

Another couple things I forgot to mention. I’ve heard with the sticky brick that you need to replace the screens often. How often exactly? Since I’m using it daily, do I need to buy like a pack of screens every week or what? Last question. Is there a particularly good torch for this application I could get that would fit in a fanny pack with it? I’m sure the included torches would work, but I don’t know if something else would work better.

Last edited by a moderator:
The _Legman,

Squiby

I suggest that you seriously consider a Vapcap made by Dynavap.

I would like one small enough to carry around in a fanny pack, and I know that I don’t really want something that would have to be plugged in or constantly charged
Vapcaps are the size and shape of a cigarette. There are two lengths available, the regular length is 3.5 inches long, the size of a regular cigarette and the 4.25 inch XL length, like a king sized cigarette. Vapcaps are simple devices with a genius design. There are no extra bits and bobs that need to be carried around. No batteries to manage, charge or rotate. No tangled cords.
I’ve been looking into butane powered vaporizers since carrying a small torch instead of my usual bic doesn’t seem too hard
Vapcaps are heated using just about any heat source, a jet lighter or induction heated being the most popular, but candles, bic lighters, stove elements, campfire sticks etc. also work.
I would also really like something I can attach to my bong for home use, as I’m very attached to it and it’s my favorite way to smoke.
Vapcaps have interchangeable components so you can switch up their exterior midsection called bodies and stems. You can also buy a complete unit that sports a VonG midsection. The VonG fits a 14mm connection. Midsections come in wood and metal. Glass VonG midsections are available through after market vendors.

https://420vapezone.com/vapcap-water-wands-vapcap-wpa/

The Vapcap is very efficient with bud. Many people spend much less on herb once they start using a Vapcap. You can fill the herb chamber or use just a pinch. No stirring is needed and there is nothing to unscrew, just pull off the cap, fill, replace the cap and heat it until it clicks. The cap is a temperature indicator so you always know when it is heated to toking temps.

Another nice feature is that you heat the cap to the click, then toke as opposed to other vaporizers where you heat while toking. No need for fire close to your face.

The Vapcap model I'd recommend to you would be the titanium tipped NonaVonG. It has a wood stem or midsection and weighs around 10 grams; less than half an ounce.

https://www.dynavap.com/dynashop/vaporizers/vong/nonavong/dark-wood

Check out the thread. We can answer any questions you may have.

Last edited:

WoodVillain

Backwoods Rated
I'll 2nd the vapcap.

But I personally prefer the metal variants so I'll recommend starting with an M, and a Ti tip... with this combo you can really figure out what you like and if you think the more expensive omnivap is worth it to you...

It definitely was to me lol.

Pair that M and titanium tip with a triple flame torch until you have developed your method.

Hard to go wrong with dynavap.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Sounds like the vapcap is exactly what you're describing and the above posts are spot on.

Check out the dynavap site and the various body styles. The wooden vongs might be the best option if you want the vapcap to quickly be used on the go and then dropped into a bubbler for water vaping without changing anything.

Looked at the omnivong. They look like the cats pajamas! I think I’m gonna go with that. Any advantage to getting the XL version? I kinda assumed that it was so that the hot portion would be further away from your face when hitting it, but if you’re heating it before hitting it I don’t see how that’s an issue. Honestly pretty upset there’s no Purple Heart wood option either ):

WoodVillain

Backwoods Rated
Looked at the omnivong. They look like the cats pajamas! I think I’m gonna go with that. Any advantage to getting the XL version? I kinda assumed that it was so that the hot portion would be further away from your face when hitting it, but if you’re heating it before hitting it I don’t see how that’s an issue. Honestly pretty upset there’s no Purple Heart wood option either ):

There's several members who make custom stems for the vapcap, I have seen purple heart stemmed vapcaps.

Squiby

Honestly pretty upset there’s no Purple Heart wood option either ):
I just bought a Purple Heart and Ebony stem with case and stash from @primitiveorganic . I'm sure he'll make whatever you please.

2q15kpy.jpg

https://www.simrellcollection.com

@phattpiggie is another artist who is well loved here. He makes custom stems. He can make a Purple Heart beauty for you as well. PP makes some fantastic VonGs!

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/phattpiggies-wood-shed.22215/page-54#post-1329789

Cruise through his thread to see VonGs, lidded Vapcaps and cases.

Another member here @Hogni has compiled pictures of Vapcaps with all sorts of outfits. Check it out.

https://www.pinterest.de/GonzodaHutt/vapcap-lego-for-stoners/

Last edited:
Dang! I may just have to hit @phattpiggie up! I had planned to buy one tomorrow and overnight it as a present to myself since my birthday is on the 5th , but I may just have to hold off since I’m sure his waiting list must be a mile long. Well worth it though, I imagine! Any idea how much he usually charges?

Squiby

Well worth it though, I imagine! Any idea how much he usually charges?

Just PM him on this forum. At the top right hand side of any page you will see your Inbox. Click on it. Type in the person's forum name and begin a conversation.

Depending on the materials and your requested design, costs can vary.

Also, if you buy an after market stem, all you need to buy from Dynavap is the tip and cap.

Squiby,
Reactions: Jill NYC

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Dang! I may just have to hit @phattpiggie up! I had planned to buy one tomorrow and overnight it as a present to myself since my birthday is on the 5th , but I may just have to hold off since I’m sure his waiting list must be a mile long. Well worth it though, I imagine! Any idea how much he usually charges?

Lots of great stuff. I happen to really like @phattpiggie's work too. I am not using my vapcaps a lot lately, but the new induction heaters might bring me back to more regular use. If so I'll be hitting him up for one of those beautiful tapered stems. I have most enjoyed the longer length vongs the most because of their ease of use as stems as well as a gong. Those wood omnivongs look nice. And BTW the longer the vapcap condenser the cooler the vapor.

I wanted to add that I also really enjoyed my Lotus for a number of years. In fact, it was my daily driver for about two years and only left it because VAS set in. I still have it and from time to time I have been known to load up the all metal wpa and pair it with my Lotus cap. You pop that into your bubbler and Bob's your uncle. @ataxian will also tell you that the Lotus wpa is the most indestructible gong known to vapekind. Lots of fun.

Anyway, I am very glad to hear @The _Legman that your moving up to vaping. You will find it so much more satisfying. You actually get to enjoy the natural flavors of the cannabis better, you won't have stuff with stinky pot smell anymore, and it is much better health wise. We all fuckcombustion here! Vaping brought me back to the wonderful world of cannabis after many years. Welcome to the FC.

Last edited:

virtualpurple

Others have given great advice so far, and I second all of it! I prefer the extra length of the XLs, it is more comfortable for me to spin. And while I don’t own a stem from @phattpiggie thry have oolong been on my radar!

In addition to an induction heater I would also recommend getting some glass wands from @DDave’s shop. Variety is the spice of life and I really like the all glass experience (aside from the tip and the cap of course). He also has a great little bubbler that is a great pairing with the vapcap.

You’ll have a great experience with the vapcap no matter how you choose to mix it up!

AJS

Calm Consistency
Personally....and I think I'm the odd one out here, if someone handed me a vapcap when I was trying to convert to vaping, I would not have been satisfied. 99% of people love them though.

I always recommend the Solo 2 for beginners (I've been vaping for years and it's still one of my favorites too). Or an E-Nano log vape, also incredible. Or go big and get Mighty. All good options :)

Congrats on switching, you're going to love it, it's fucking great.

little maggie

Personally....and I think I'm the odd one out here, if someone handed me a vapcap when I was trying to convert to vaping, I would not have been satisfied. 99% of people love them though.

I always recommend the Solo 2 for beginners (I've been vaping for years and it's still one of my favorites too). Or an E-Nano log vape, also incredible. Or go big and get Mighty. All good options :)

Congrats on switching, you're going to love it, it's fucking great.
I would probably recommend a different vape for a beginner as well. A woodscent probably since it is a great log and includes a vapcap. But he requested one that uses butane so

little maggie,
I would probably recommend a different vape for a beginner as well. A woodscent probably since it is a great log and includes a vapcap. But he requested one that uses butane so
I wanted something butane powered because I don’t really wanna have to worry about it constantly being charged when it’s something I’m gonna need to have on me. Plus, with my condition, sometimes it’s actually very difficult to plug things in if I’m having spasms. For instance, I got a pretty bad cold this week and couldn’t smoke for a few days (still can’t just yet, lungs hate me) I started having spasms and wasn’t even able to plug in my phone. I figure at least I can manage to use the vapcap when I really need it. If it turns out that the torch is too difficult I may have to compromise and invest in one of the little battery powered heaters others on this thread have suggested. I’ll have to do some research on the battery life, but if it can last more than a full day with regular use it may be ideal. I do understand why you would recommend something else based on the apparently high learning curve, though.

little maggie

Then you might consider something like the woodscent log. Most of us with logs just leave them on so they are available when we want to use them. The reason I'm mentioning the woodscent is that it uses vapcaps for stems so you can have both a log and a vapcap.
Or one of the portable vapes that use batteries- you can bring along an extra battery or two and have all day use. The MVT might be an option.

little maggie,
Reactions: AJS
Then you might consider something like the woodscent log. Most of us with logs just leave them on so they are available when we want to use them. The reason I'm mentioning the woodscent is that it uses vapcaps for stems so you can have both a log and a vapcap.
Or one of the portable vapes that use batteries- you can bring along an extra battery or two and have all day use. The MVT might be an option.
torch can require some small motor coordination.....
absolutely, I’m aware of that. The reason I say that I think I can manage is because usually I can still use a torch currently to heat a nail for dabs. I have spastic triplegia, so essentially my legs and right arm are affected. My left(dominant) is fine, relatively. Still shakes but not as much. I figure I can devise a way to heat it that won’t require a lot from my right hand. Maybe roll it over the edge of a table or even my chair then use my good hand to manipulate the torch. I’m pretty confident I can do it.
As for the log vapes, I’m not sure what you mean by using a vapcap as a stem. Can you explain? I know getting a battery powered one would realistically be the better option, and apart from the reasons I already mentioned, another one is the ritual of it if that makes sense. I’m used to sitting down and using a lighter to light a bowl. I wanted something where I could still be as close to that as possible, minus the smoke. Hence why I initially considered the lotus. If I find that the vapcap doesn’t suit my needs with my bong then I’ll probably keep it for portable use and get a lotus for home. Sorry for not spacing out the responses. Still figuring out how to use quotes here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom