MMJ and driving in Canada

lazylathe

Almost there...
Just read this over on Reddit, scary stuff!!
Click the links and look at the attachments for data taken in 2006.

I copied and pasted it over here:

The proposed lower blood limit cutoff for THC is 2ng/ml. This finding will result in a summary criminal conviction. The criminal conviction is the important part, not the low fine.

Criminal convictions can ruin employment opportunities, cause you to lose background checks that you may need in order to volunteer and help others, not to mention become inadmissible to several countries, or even deported. Criminal convictions are serious.

However, people with legitimate medical needs, even on small doses can have amounts in their blood that will turn them into criminals: http://imgur.com/a/yxWhf

As you can see, in the TABLE 1, maximum numbers (0.9+1.5) can occur even with only 7.5 milligram of THC dosing per day. Even the usual recommended starting dose 0.2ml of 25mg/ml cannabis oil, taken twice daily will put you over that amount. You are now a criminal.

You might as well sign confession for your crimes right there in the doctors office. You will not have the opportunity to prove in courts that you were not impaired. Our laws don't actually require a proof of impairment. Once your blood levels are over that magic number, you are a criminal.

Maximum concentration will of course build up over the course of therapy, as these compounds are long-lived in the body. As you can see in TABLE 2, maximum concentration levels are reached after 107 hours of repeated dosing (7.5mg total per day, split in 3 doses, with meals). Again, chronic users are penalized.

Repeated doses of just 7.5mg daily, which is less than the recommended starting dose, will cause you to become a criminal after only 107 hours. Again, this targets chronic medical users disproportionately.

Full study paper that explores dosing vs. blood level concentrations: https://www.scribd.com/document/345297678/THC-Blood-Levels

There are many other papers that support these facts. Please post them if you can find them.

And here we are, essentially an anti-science, zero-tolerance drug policy. Now you could be arrested and given a conviction for trace amounts of a chemical in your blood, regardless if you are actually impaired or not.

Just imagine how easy it will be for the police to fill the quota, just park next to a cannabinoid clinic! Drivers can be checked for sobriety any time, the supreme court already said so, right?

Road safety is important, but is it in the public interest to dissuade medical users from using safe medicines, and push them to opioids? Over 900 people died in BC from opioid overdoses last year.

This is an abomination.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
This is what happens when government wants to make tons of money off cannabis without interfering with other conflicting income sources also responsible for bringing in tons of money.

Government train of thought - "How do we turn a SOLUTION into a PROBLEM again"

Alexis

This is what happens when government wants to make tons of money off cannabis without interfering with other conflicting income sources also responsible for bringing in tons of money.

Government train of thought - "How do we turn a SOLUTION into a PROBLEM again"
I cant help but feel there is more than money to it as well though. Seeing as they havent been able to prevent the good thing happening in the first place (aka legalisation), they endeavour to penalize and criminalize innocent people almost out of spite and wickedness.

These are just my natural feelings on it, I didnt even consider the money aspect. To me that is just another bonus.

Government train of thought - "How do we spoil a good thing, and make life as shit and difficult for good people as possible?"

biohacker

I have always thought that it was better to just decriminalize, because now with legalization around the corner, I feel it's going to be worse for medicinal patients. I liked things the way they were, just needed decriminalization like the NDP wanted. RIP Jack Layton.

Thanks for posting @lazylathe, that is definitely interesting. However, there are no roadside blood tests, only saliva. So, with a positive on the saliva, you may just get a fine...unless it's obviously that you are impaired. There is a difference between over .08 for alcohol and an impaired charge. If you are obviously wrecked, you're going to the station for a blood test and will get both charges.

I have no idea what the saliva test is going to do...... can it test for edibles? Vapour? Just thc level in saliva? So many unknowns at this time, but I don't think it's time to panic (yet).

If the cutoff is so strict, then perhaps alcohol should be ZERO level and tolerance as well. And what about distracted and fatigued driving that can cause a GREATER impairment than a blood alcohol level of .1?

What a system we live in! You can be hopped up on anti-depressants/anti-psychotics, speed, etc... but they don't check for that.... why would they want to but heads with the pharmaceutical industry, since they are all one and the same with the government!

Land of the free? :rofl:

Regardless, resources are so scarce they won't even be able to enforce anything well.... at least here in Canada.

And as i've mentioned in the other thread, in the next election if the neocons are elected, what happens - everything is scrapped and back to the way it was? More waste!

GO LEAFS GO! :ko:

Marijuana legalization: What was Justin Trudeau smoking?
MARGARET WENTE

The Globe and Mail

Published Monday, Apr. 17, 2017 4:09PM EDT

Last updated Monday, Apr. 17, 2017 4:14PM EDT

Justin Trudeau’s vow to legalize marijuana – made without much thinking, one suspects – was one of his signature campaign promises. It was intended to brand his party as progressive, youthful, and enlightened. And the time seemed right. Most Canadians agree that it’s time to make it legal.

But when the government unveiled its long-awaited legislation – on the eve of a long weekend – our hip Prime Minister was nowhere in sight. He left the job to a bunch of hatchet-faced ministers, who grimly assured us that this was going to be all about law and order and harm reduction, not fun. Clearly, the government hoped that everyone would get distracted by the holiday and move on.

Legalizing pot is trickier than it looks. Some of the benefits have been wildly overstated, and some of the consequences are unintended. Take, for example, the Liberals’ blithe assurance that tough new laws will, if anything, reduce the availability of pot to youth. This ain’t gonna happen. It hasn’t happened in Colorado and it won’t happen here. Nor is it easy to believe that all those new laws will be vigorously enforced. Do you really think the cops, who barely have the resources to fight drug crime now, will waste their time busting teenagers for possession?

As for the black market, it will change but it will not disappear. Not everyone will be willing to fork over the high prices (to be determined) that will be charged in the legal market. The higher the price, the greater the opportunity for illegal suppliers to grow their market share. “If people can save significant amounts of money, then they will,” says security and crime expert Christian Leuprecht, who is a professor at the Royal Military College and Queen’s University. Consider contraband cigarettes, which now account for a whopping 30 per cent of the Ontario market. Why would pot be any different?

Marijuana costs peanuts to produce. But in the U.S. sky-high taxes and onerous regulations make legal pot vastly more expensive than the illegal stuff. That may not matter to well-heeled casual users, but it matters a great deal to downmarket folks, who make up a large part of the consumer base. In Oregon, illegal marijuana still accounts for more than 35 per cent of the market. “The new system has clearly not replaced or even threatened, corner dealers either in Washington or Colorado,” Tom James wrote in The Atlantic. Meanwhile, Uruguay – another poster-country for legalization – has become a major dope distribution hub for South America.

Another lucrative business for the black market is export sales. A large amount of Colorado pot is sold illegally to neighbouring states. Canada’s already robust illegal export business could get a significant boost too, says Prof. Leuprecht. “It is naive to believe all our dope will stay here.” He wonders how many friends that will make us south of the border.

The provinces are not happy about all this, and for good reason. It’s they – along with municipalities and local police forces – that will bear the burden of enforcement, regulation, extra health-care costs, and public safety campaigns. It will be up to them to figure out distribution networks, age of majority, and how to do roadside safety checks. (The only safety check currently on offer is a saliva test that doesn’t work yet.) The feds haven’t promised one new penny for any of it, and enforcement could be uneven, to say the least.

There will be winners, though. The biggest winners will be the current incumbents in the business. Despite the fantasies of nostalgic hippies and pot libertarians, there will be no room in the market for artisanal growers or idealistic mom-and-pop pot shops. They won’t be able to compete. Waiting in the wings are well-capitalized investors who are poised to set up massive grow-ops and sophisticated retail and mail-order chains, with the expertise and lawyers to help them through all the hoops that governments devise. Many of these pot pioneers are intimately familiar with the workings of government, having been in it themselves. As in the U.S., they will work closely with politicians and bureaucrats to make sure the regulations are as advantageous and market-friendly to themselves as possible.

The road to legalization is paved with good intentions – and also massive potholes. With more urgent matters on his plate, Mr. Trudeau might well be wondering whether the hassle is worth the price.

Last edited:

Alexis

I have wondered before, if sucking on activated charcoal in your mouth can do anything to absorb any actives in your saliva? Your mouth and saliva would be black, but you could just keep an open bag of "blackjacks" (liquorice type sweets) in the car door. Or use to mouth rinse and brush teeth before driving.

I dont drive, but I would be inclined to try this if I did. It is a super absorber. I have used it as a tooth whitening treatment. I havent been able to use any toothpaste since 2006. I use only himalayan salt to brush my teeth, which are perefectly healthy. I havent even been to a dentist for 3 years now for a check up- I cant be asked to walk all the way there for nothing (I dont have to pay currently).

Just not a priority, I have zero teeth/gum issues thanks to good diet, and oil pulling. Save my energy.
But I used to drink loads of peppermint tea, which is full of tannin. And my teeth used to be dark green (but still perfectly healthy). So I brushed my teeth occasionally with activated charcoal. It causes a lot of respiratory mucus for me as all things good, so only rarely.

It badly affected my speech problem too, just having it in my mouth. But it is simply the best mouth cleaner going. Afterwards, my tongue would brush so clear, like a factory reset, I could feel every bristle. Shiny, new and pink!

So I do wonder if the activated charcoal could absorb everything in your saliva. Just brush and rinse with it before you drive possibly. Maybe worth a try anyway.
I just hate to think of you guys getting shit this way. You make it sound more optimistic though Biohacker.

And for certain, there are actually some good sides to weed being illegal!

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
I have always thought that it was better to just decriminalize, because now with legalization around the corner, I feel it's going to be worse for medicinal patients.

... 100% agree... feels like we have more freedom with cannabis now with it illegal than when it's going to be legal...

...I for one hope these proposals do not see the light of day...

Top Bottom