• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

MJ Connoisseur

Derf

So I noticed that certain drugs have connoisseur connotations, while others seem to be more "common".

Cocaine used to have a connotation as a luxury drug in the 80s, but I'm not sure where it is now.

Heroine, Crack, and Meth all seem to be associated with the dirty elements of society.

Tobacco - Cigars definitely appeal to the connoisseur, while cigarettes are for the layman.

Alcohol - I used to think that beer was cheap - but no longer. It seems even the beer drinkers have a "top shelf". You have your cheap beer (bud, bud light, natty light, labatt, etc), and then you have your connoisseur beers - the imports, microbrews, guiness, etc.
Also with wine. You have your cheap wine in a box, and you have your fine wines.

I was just thinking about MJ, and where it falls. What do you think the connotation is with it today? Are you just a "pot head" or do you think with vaporizers and pretty glass pipes we bring some class to it? Do you think that by "naming" certain strains we have created a hierarchy of quality that stratifies the users of MJ?

As for quality I know you've got your "regs" which can vary from mostly seeds and branches and low quality, to fairly decent soil grows, and then there are the top quality buds grown in hydro setups and look like they are out of High Times magazine.
I wonder if MJ were ever legalized, which I doubt, but if it would be marketed as a connoisseur type of drug, or if it would be marketed as something more common - like budweiser.

Derf,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
Chronnoisseur all the way!!

I think once cannabis is legal, all the grades will be available and the consumers will do as they are now and break off into swag, mids and dank camps. Much like alcohol I think it will be broken down into socio economic groups.

Bruce@Zephyr,

SmogTown

Chronnoisseur. I have to remeber that. I pay for the best I can get my hands on. Its a better all around experience. Especially with a vaporizer.

SmogTown,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
SmogTown said:
Chronnoisseur. I have to remeber that. I pay for the best I can get my hands on. Its a better all around experience. Especially with a vaporizer.
Yea, I am going to get some shirts made "Chronnoisseur - I know my Shit!"

Bruce@Zephyr,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Connoisseur forever! For years I used to say life is too short to smoke cheap crap.... Now, Life is too short to vape cheap crap.

I like that term Chronnoisseur Bruce!! :D

Lo,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I do consider myself a Chronnoisseur since ive made the transition to vaping. I mean. even when I combusted it was about the better grade but now its another level.

Kind of like my beer - I dont brew beer to have MORE beer. I brew beer to have BETTER beer.

It made me laugh when I was watching Pulp Fiction the other day and they went over to 'Jimmys' house (Quinten Ts) and he was talking about his coffee.
Also, did you know that all of the clocks in that movie were set to (you guessed it) 4:20?

AGBeer,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Like Bruce said, I believe it'll be broken up into socioeconomic groups although growing up, I know I never had that much money but would rather save up for some HIGH GRADE than get mids or schwag. To me, it wasn't worth the trade off based on the amount you would have to smoke to get the desired effect.

With that said, for sure, CHRONNOSSEUR!

stonemonkey55,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
I have always heard canna-sseur, but when you are anywhere between Oakland and LA...you gotsta talk like Dr. Dre (chronnosseur it is! :D ).

IMO, the breakdown will be based upon differing socioeconomic groups and ideologies regarding the value of material possessions, experiences, health, wealth, happiness, etc. (with the elimination of the impact of the same legal implications on such decisions). What Stonemonkey55 describes experiencing as a kid in the post above this one seems to be an example of this other factor.

Either way...with free-market research, everything tends to get better (to the delight of the Chronnosseur :brow: ).

Progress,

Frickr

now if i could only live in a medical state... in the part of the country i am, its good weed or bad weed, you have the dirty shwags, mid grade, shwag with no seeds, and the good stuff. the last being the hardest to find, for a decent price. and when you do find it, its either take what you can get, or maybe find a better one later. while i would love to sit down and have a few differant known strains, and have a nice session, realistically here, its whatever happens to come through.

basically what im trying to say is i would be a chronnosseur :lol: if i had the option. but for now, im stuck buying what i can get.

Frickr,

Derf

AGBeer said:
... It made me laugh when I was watching Pulp Fiction the other day and they went over to 'Jimmys' house (Quinten Ts) and he was talking about his coffee. ...
Yes, even caffeine as a drug, marketed through coffee, has its socio-economic groups. You have maxwell house and sanka, up through starbucks. (Is starbucks really that good for $5 a cup?) .. And then there is the auto-drip users to the whole-bean-grind-it-myself-and-use-a-$2000-coffee-machine-to-brew-it crowd.

Frickr said:
...in the part of the country i am, its good weed or bad weed, you have the dirty shwags, mid grade, shwag with no seeds, and the good stuff. the last being the hardest to find, for a decent price....
basically what im trying to say is i would be a chronnosseur :lol: if i had the option. but for now, im stuck buying what i can get.
South Dakota for the win! Haha, sorry to hear that, mate. Maybe you can set up a mail service with someone.

Derf,

albe

i'd love to be a 'Chronnoisseur' but the offerings i have access to don't live up to it... a case of take what u can get for me.
watched a few docos and news reports of late on the market in California, and its great to see what the future might look like for the rest of us one day.

albe,

Mr. Smoke No More

Can't stop the head rush!
:lol: It takes more to be a cannabis connoisseur than vaping the "expensive" weed you can get on the streets. To say u dont vape "mids or shwag" doesnt make one a connoisseur. What about all the different highs or flavours between all the types of weed in each level of your 3 classification system?

Man im on a real asshole tirade lately sorry.

Mr. Smoke No More,

quomist

Rock the Casbah
Glad to see another from Ontario here!

I like to keep different strains on me at any given time. I usually grab a halfzip at a time, test out the high, and then reserve it for when I want that.

Some strains give me the cerebral buzz and others knock me out. So I get to choose whatever I'm in the mood for. I know there is discussion around the sativa/indica ratios, but there is nothing like testing it out firsthand.

Man this PK going around right now is putting me on my ASS!

quomist,

SmogTown

Mr. Smoke No More said:
What about all the different highs or flavours between all the types of weed in each level of your 3 classification system?
When I say chronnoseur this is what I mean. The only reason I pay what I do for weed is because of the all round experience. With shwag you just smell and taste barn :lol:. If I smoked weed just to get high I'd pay for mids and save some money.

SmogTown,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
I enjoy mj not only for the effect but the flavor , there only one taste I like better than the taste of mj and that's 69 juice . Anyways , I find there are two kinds of people , those that just wanna get high and don't care what it is they ingest , and then there are us picky, technical people that need to know everything about what we are doing . Education is power . As mj is a lifestyle choice of mine , I'd like to know as much about it as possible , from seed to my hands then ingestion and I would think after 30 years in this lifestyle and seeing the changes that have taken place, I consider myself a MJ Connoisseur , funny but my band mates say the same thing about me. I'm just glad I'm in Ontario and we grow good shit around here , always able to have at least three good stains available if not more.

Samsquanch,

BillieBudd

Count me among those who take what they can get, although I do know good weed from bad and would love a chance to try some of the "exotic" named varieties...they just don't make it into in my circle of friends...

BillieBudd,

Flyer

Frickr, you need to get in the ground, no more shopping around for other people stuff, more funner

Flyer,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
I really enjoy trying different strains. I am glad I live in Cali, where I can drive to a Clinic 40 minutes away and literally be staring at a wall of weed, probably 30-40 different strains, and each and everyone of them is high quality stuff. I make it a point to try something new every time, but I can honestly say I really can't tell too much of a difference between strains. I mean, I can tell if one type is stronger then what I had last, and of course there is the taste (I had some Coca-Jack Herer that I would have rather had then a brownie sundae) but I really can't tell the difference in affect. A lot of my friends criticize me because I can't tell the difference of affects, but I don't give a fuck...I haven't met a weed-strain I didn't like.

finchrock24,

Plant

smoking high grade doesn't even make you a connoisseur it's the high grade special strains that make you one if you smoke the same high grade weed thats available everywhere it is just good high grade shit a connoisseur goes for the special flavors effect of a product and is willing to spend coin on this

here in holland it's actually difficult to be a good connossoir b'cuzz almost al the shops sel the same strains all high grade(most of the time)
and te special ones are difficult to obtain as i'm in an area that relies on weedtoerism from france belgiuim and germany and they are not that picky about strains
so i grow them myself
but the midical clinics in cali that shits just sick

when i first saw superhigh i couldn't belief it al them jars on the counter cookies candy drinks oils sprays
we don't have that shit over here oil is considered harddrugs and the foods that shit doesn't go wel with the toerists pukin/passing out in the coffeeshops that kinda shit so we limit that to homemade

i think that the clinics are a connoisseurs dream and i wish we had them over here

Plant,

obelisk

Idiot (no relation to the Savants)
where i come from the social connotation/stereotype with marijuana for the most part is either

a) a poor man (since weed is the poor man's pastime)
b) a bum/guy with no job
c) a religious person
d) a communist/writer/artist/musician/poet/etc

back home nobody really gives a shit about glass or vaporizers or toxins or trichomes. nor strains nor growing nor intricate ventilation plans. back home, the only thing pot is about is getting stoned. which, imo, is the way it should be. I find people take their MJ too seriously in this country. i think weed is more part of the intrinsic culture that exists back home, which is why it is probably considered a very normal, albiet unfavorable, thing to do-- i.e., it is no big deal, the folks who don't smoke it may be wary of folks who do smoke it but the folks who smoke it don't really congregate in forums to talk about it or interact with other smokers to growing techniques or trek it across the country to swap strains with some dudes at a concert and they definitely don't assign a single day of the year to be marijuana day or whatever 4/20 is over here. i.e., you either smoke pot or you don't-- either way, it is no big deal, and there is no need to make a fuss about it.

i guess back home there is no such thing as a marijuana connoisseur. things are simpler, people are more ignorant, it is all very beautiful.

and to be honest, the minute you start actively thinking/caring about class is the moment you automatically become unclassy ;)

obelisk,
Top Bottom