Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by Donkey, Sep 26, 2011.
Getting rid of their stock before the release of the vV 3 :-/
May well be...but that price is certainly more attractive than the RRP.
Thought I should post, have been in touch with MiVape about refunding my pre-order and they have gone silent.
This part's important, a friend pointed out that some companies take advantage of credit card companies time limits ie, after 90 days some CC companies will not refund money. With that in mind, I encourage all pre-orderers to check this with their CC company, and cancel and re-pre-order(if you're still interested in waiting) in order to secure your funds, just in case the MiVape doesn't happen.
Good luck to all!
Having read the post above, I called MasterCard to dispute the charge. Lucky for me they allow 100 days for a dispute as I was just over the 90 days. I contacted Vaporfection three times to ask for a refund and was ignored. They also never sent the fifty dollar rebate on the ViVape that I bought in August. I'm sorry to say that I no longer have any trust in this company and would recommend only buying through a dealer and not direct. I think they are having problems but, I don't wish to gamble my three hundred dollars on a product that may never show up. MasterCard was quite shocked that the fully charged for preorders. I'm out for now. Maybe I'll reconsider when they actually have a product to sell.
I'll be disputing the charge on my Visa debit card. I emailed Vaporfection for a refund, and they responded they would do so. I haven't seen the money yet(it's been at least 2 weeks). Well, I have to say I was tempted by the MiVape, but I'll be getting a TV Cera instead.
That's what I did ... hope it's everything it's hyped up to be!
I was seriously interested in the MiVape when I first saw it on V/F's site...but after reading some of this thread and hearing about all the delays I opted for the Cera too, but that's not a smooth road either at least it looks like things are moving with the Cera.
I think VF are trying to launch a great product but they're losing their customer base rapidly due to all the delay's and all the other new portables being released.
So I started the dispute, hopefully it'll pull through. I'd say at this point it seems like Vaporfection hasn't been able to refund(or isn't willing).
Yesterday I e-mailed Vaporfection and wrote I wanted to cancel my order. They responded within hours.
Hahaha Vaporfections website has changed back to "Expected Delivery by Early Spring", which means in a couple months ot will probably change back to "Expected Delivery December"
I don't think companies like that should take pre-orders. A delay is one thing but the time frame isn't even close and as you know it was not to easy to get refunds with cc having a limit on days and whatnot. I am fairly amazed that all of you that have the vivape after long delays and a new one coming out right behind it still say how wonderful there service is after you have the vape. In my mind most companies try to get your business and then run. Strange bunch of stoners they must be. At least you know if you ever get it, it will be serviced if it breaks.
I have not had any problems with my vV1 since it got replaced in february and have used it fairly regulalrly till the most recent sale. If it wasnt 50% off i would not have bought the vV2 because the differences arent major or really even noticable. Had they completely reengineered the Vivape and released soo soon after im sure I and others would be majorly pissed.
As far as the mivape is concerned, i canceled my preorder as soon as it went into "pre production testing" in May andhave not looked back. The design changes from the mock up really changed my mind on it but if it every comes out ill wait for reviews and probably give it a chance.
Both my Orignal vV AND vV2 are hands down the best tastng/ easiest to use vape i have owned or tried and ive tried a bunch, so while im not particularly happy with vaporfection I would still recommend the vivape to anyone who asks my opinion
I've officially given up watching for this one. I'll still consider it when (if) it's released, and i'm pretty confident it will be eventually. I went through a worse coaster ride with the Cloud over 2 years of many false promises....shit happens, especially when you are a startup. The shilling was a shame, but that wouldn't prevent me from buying a stellar product.
Well it looks like this is never coming out :-(. Their website is down. Sad it looked really good.
Their website has been unstable over the past week or so. Right now it is displaying a directory. It's as though they're letting an amateur try to do changes.
[Vaporfection.com] is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance. The company is fine. The site is just experiencing technical issues. We will be back up soon
Please try back [later].Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience. We truly appreciate all of our loyal customers.
is there any new information on the mivape? I emailed vaporfection a week and a half ago and they said they would get more information about when the mivape would being to ship towards the end of january.
There is no new information. Dan recently told me we should expect an update after Feb 1st.
Meanwhile, their website store seems to be partially back up, and the miVape is apparently on sale for $0.00. I wasn't able to order
It says ready by spring. So doesn't look out of business yet.
Well when it does come out I guess the hot topic will be MiVape vs. Ascent!! These are such great times...portables have come such a long way so fast. I had no idea that some of these companies would start producing...always thought only a very few would dominate the industry.
Very sad news. Here's a copy of an e-mail i received from Dan who used to work for Vaporfection.
I hope this e-mail finds you well. I'm not sure if you know, but I am not longer working at Vaporfection. There are some major problems with management and funding. I cannot get into too much over e-mail but I would encourage you to maybe charge back your CC for your miVape order because the chances of it being produced any time in the near future is very very slim. I wanted to give you a heads up in case you were trying to contact me. This is my personal e-mail so feel free to get back to me here.
Sorry this message comes with bad news, but until the company can revert back to the original owner/creator I will not be a part of Vaporfection. (Lots of litigation starting to happen right now).
Let me know if you have questions and I'll do my best to answer them.
I know this is a double post, but I want to make sure people know what to do.
I was trying to hint at that for awhile now...
Call the credit card company or bank you placed the pre-order through. The number will be on the back of the card you used. Tell them you are dealing with a company that has taken your money as a pre-order and is not going to release the product. It is pretty simple to do. If you used a debt card you can always go into a branch and sit down and talk with someone. They will walk you through the process. It saddens me when things like this happen. I hope everyone can get their funds back.
Here's another update.
We've just been informed that orders canceled after 60 days must be canceled by the card holder through their credit card provider. So you have to make the refund request to your credit card company.
Sorry for the inconvenience, thank you for your patience. YFAV
I think if vaporfection comes back they should be required to change their name to vaporIMPERFECTION
Sad news but thanks for the update. Shows that at least Dan has some integrity.
Separate names with a comma.