Micro-dosing

chlorophyll_man

AVB Inspector
So I've found a simple mod for the S-B capsules: A cup shaped screen in the big section, that stays in place on its own and reduces the usable volume; and a smaller round screen over the microdose before putting on the top.
That's what I do too :)
You can even do 0.025 in the capsule if you: drop a flat screen in, lay the herb evenly over the screen, another flat screen over the top, finally the bowl screen over that. The bowl screen keeps the herb sandwiched between the two flat screens because the capsule lid pushes down on it. Yeah, lots of screens I know, but it does work if you need the Crafty to do that for you.

Solomon

Talk to the Beard
I'm still having two, three, or four mini-sessions a day, and getting almost the max stoned, but just feel better. The biggest benefit is my cough has almost completely disappeared and wheezing has been reduced by probably 80 or 90%.

Been micro dosing for about 5 yrs now, currently using my HR Fierce and doing about 6 sessions daily. I've also found that temperature has a big impact on coughs and throat/lung irritation. When I have a cold, reducing temps for a longer and cooler session seems to work great. Instead of thick clouds, a lighter mist saves my throat and I actually think you get more medicated than a higher temp quick dose. You can only absorb so vapor in a single breath - a lot gets wasted when you take a giant hit.

CANtalk

The positive stories and feedback here are great and appreciated. I also find it an excellent reminder to keep plugging away on the microdosing journey.

It's been an interesting two months or so since I last posted here. I have been continuing to adjust a variable or two at a time in my vaping routine and evaluating outcomes. Here's my latest observations and feedback.

In seeking a return to some of my most impressive cannabis experiences, over the holiday season (Christmas and New Years) I ended up indulging in larger amounts of fresh flower cannabis than during my previous microdosing. Unfortunately, I didn't really get the returns I was striving for. While I did find that, in general, THC effects increased, the entourage strain effects I enjoy most didn't meet my hopes and best past experiences (e.g., euphoria with sativas). At higher doses, I found the additional THC effects sedative and depressant in nature as well, which is not what I aim for (YMMV). These results remind me of the biphasic dose-response phenomenon, which Dr. Sulak describes in his microdosing tutorials (linked here earlier). High dose sedative effects have been happening to me for a while now (with my low tolerance and high sensitivity). At times, I've found the highest amounts/doses and THC effects stupor-like.

In January, I was away from home for nearly two weeks with no vaping or routine (though I did combust some small amounts of cannabis for the first time in a long time). When I made it back home, I went back to my regular vaping routine (weekly breaks and vaping Fri-Sun) and decided to recommit and go back to more dedicated microdosing. These efforts included changing back smaller amounts of cannabis as well as clamping down on additional bowls later in the evening, which I have long suspected of being unhelpful (in achieving the best experiences and keeping tolerance low).

I also recently picked up a weigh scale that measures to 0.001 grams and have been able to more accurately determine my cannabis vaping consumption than before. It's an $18 US example on Amazon and I'm satisfied with it so far.

So far the microdosing re-commitment results have been excellent. My cannabis vaping experiences have been as great and strong as I typically strive and hope for, the sedative effects from high dosing are absent, and I've been able to enjoy more significant entourage effects again. Decreasing doses to increase effects sounds counter-intuitive and it's hard to not want to indulge, but again and again these experiences remind me that less can mean more
qUavOqrrbhww3SDaBX7fEF3OKDdXEiyJD2HANx3wesMnV_xUbE-6uhynMNbgOiUTE2PJsGwkZw=s0-d-e1-ft

In this latest round of microdosing, I've been vaping variable amounts (of 62% Boveda mason jar stored fresh cannabis) in the range of 0.010 to 0.050 grams per bowl, and targeting a limit of two to three bowls in a day and 0.10 grams total in any one day. 0.10 grams total in a day typically gives me 10 hours or more of strong effects (on the first day after a break) and if it's a strong sativa I don't get a very good sleep either
GADLXAMEZ4JPOU930StebmpgVhl9nYfUdSiKo6B1Gp4CelDcNYkmZI5TJeGVuTbChF-B7Y8sx7Sb=s0-d-e1-ft
. And, while high indica content cannabis helps sedate me into sleep... unfortunately it's not as restful sleep as it could be either (with low REM periods).

Using my new scale, I was able to ground-truth my previous posts with cannabis weight estimates and it turns out I was overestimating my cannabis intake in my older FC posts by 33-40% or so
GADLXAMEZ4JPOU930StebmpgVhl9nYfUdSiKo6B1Gp4CelDcNYkmZI5TJeGVuTbChF-B7Y8sx7Sb=s0-d-e1-ft
. And a number of times I've previously posted about effectively vaping what turns out to be in-the-range-of 0.01 grams fresh flower cannabis (i.e., enjoying the effects).

It seems I'm very sensitive to cannabis
knNpUscnAFXrnH7pQnwYsrMFZRF1DElx222aynHnQWFlrG86-s-jUS02hZWsiQwx3OrMMspLMNLT-Rj0zSgigQMUzN4=s0-d-e1-ft
, low amounts are very potent
BR38PxKQKt_GzSqRh9t71vmmKwfU6_3dhzC6sfqnMUQ1sYSFVBF0t7d4sbd72akkpna0f6p3zCF6uZVk=s0-d-e1-ft
Q0KzoW7vDgbYK5-WRoDpqNEMK5rrua3cNvZpdYotdmIiKHgFK5njrsDeppqS9V3FbMsJrO7i26lZ=s0-d-e1-ft
. These strong effects are why I've been seeking a better cannabis - life balance for months now.

My current plan is to try to build up a few more months of repetitive use and observations and see how the latest round of microdosing is going.

I look forward to the experiences and feedback of others trying microdosing here.

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

CANtalk

Here are a few pictures; both are 0.036 grams of coarse grind 62% Boveda mason glass jar stored cannabis.

In the first picture, the pack has some spaces so it should sit a little lower if better packed. At 0.036 grams, I'd estimate this weight of flower to be ~ 1/5 of the ELB (in volume).
rycrpae8jkf41.jpg

And here's a picture of it on paper and beside a (CAD) penny (the US size is very similar).
kzcgu2cbikf41.jpg

It blew clouds in the EVO :clap:.

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

hinglemccringleberry

Wouldn't microdosing be more achievable with a vape that gives you bad vapor quality? We're all chasing the latest and greatest because of the quest for better, fluffier vapor. But at some point the vapor quality becomes so good that microdosing becomes impossible, no?
"Hey, this (high end vaporizer) is so smooth that I can take 5 pounds of weed in one hit like its nothing!"
The one complaint I have about my Vapcap is the kina-harsh vapor until I realize that the only way to achieve a true microdose is to impose that kind of (poor) vapor quality on myself, so as not to encourage bigger doses....all of a sudden that 'drawback' is actually a 'benefit'...

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
LoL. I've never needed poor vapor quality to microdose. :rofl:

A more efficient vaporizer just requires a smaller hit to get where you want to be. To me, it's not about how large of a quantity you can take in one hit "like it's nothing". It's about how small of a hit you can take, still have great flavor, and still get where you want to be. :smug:

Last edited:

hinglemccringleberry

Last I checked, most people run their rigs thru water to increase the volume of their hit, or take a big hit without irritation. Show me a setup with stellar vapor quality and I'll show you someone using copious amounts of herb effortlessly. My friend has a Pax 1. It's garbage. I'll take him up on one small hit. The ensuing buzz is a real microdose. But hand me a Volcano and watch me have a much, much harder time microdosing. Who buys a top-o-the-line vaporizer to take 1 little hit and put it down for the rest of the day? Im sure a few oddballs out there do but most people use them to get effortlessly stoned.

Last edited:
hinglemccringleberry,

Ramahs

Last I checked, people run their rigs through water for many reasons. Often it's to take a larger hit...but It's also often not to get a larger hit, but simply to smooth out whatever size hit one is already normally having. And this is the micro-dosing thread. I don't see why anyone who intends to micro-dose would be using a session-vape that requires such a large load per bowl like a volcano. :hmm:

There are plenty of super efficient top-quality on-demand top of the line convection vaporizers out there (a few logs come to mind, for example) that you can load a very small amount into.

hinglemccringleberry

If by small you mean .01 of bud, a Vapcap/Vapman is all you need anyway. That's not enough material for it to be harsh. I'm not gonna argue with you man. Do what you want and so will I.

Last edited:
hinglemccringleberry,

Ramahs

I don't mean to be purely argumentative and my goal is not too offend. Maybe I misunderstood something. I'm not saying what you should or shouldn't do. Of course we're going to do what we want.

Mainly I feel a bit confused as to why we're talking about vaporizers that are meant to use a large quantity of herb (not at all meant for micro-dosing) in a micro-dosing thread. I guess I'm still just trying to understand what your point was...not to insult you in any way, but just out of curiosity and to alleviate my confusion about this whole conversation.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I'm into micro-dosing because I enjoy getting high, but have trouble with my lungs because of a long life of smoking cigarettes and dope. Several folks have suggested that I try concentrates, which are now available at the nearest legal adult dispensary in the the next state. The theory is that using strong stuff, you will use less to achieve the same inner state. The dispensary now has shatter, wax, oils, and crystals. I've never tried this stuff and nobody in my crowd of old hippies has either. We're strictly flower and hash folks. I've ordered a concentrate pen, the EZ Sai Kit from POTV and a water pipe adapter from Humbolt. Any suggestions for which concentrate to begin with? Any suggestions for microdosing with concentrates? Thanks.

PS: I've been mding for about six weeks now. My lungs are feeling better and my consumption has substantially declined, with minimal loss in stonedness. But even doing small doses, smaller breaths, and using water, my lungs sometimes still get irritated. So more experimentation is in order.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
The theory is that using strong stuff, you will use less to achieve the same inner state. The dispensary now has shatter, wax, oils, and crystals. I've never tried this stuff and nobody in my crowd of old hippies has either. We're strictly flower and hash folks. I've ordered a concentrate pen, the EZ Sai Kit from POTV and a water pipe adapter from Humbolt. Any suggestions for which concentrate to begin with? Any suggestions for

First let me address a few common misconceptions - concentrates are not actually "stronger" than flower, THC% is a measurement based on weight, so the percentages are only higher in concentrates due to the removal of excess plant material. THC doesn't physically or chemically change potency during the concentration process. There is more THC per gram with concentrates, but the THC is the same as the flower. The reason you need less is there is less plant filler per dose.

Personally I would suggest pressing some flower or hash into rosin, over buying any of those solvent extracts such as shatter, wax, or crystalline. As far as micro dosing, it's very easy with concentrates, just load a pinhead amount and inhale to satiated. I actually find it easier to microdose with concentrates since it's so easy to titrate the dose, though my favorite device in a prefilled oil cartridge for true micro dosing.

..Show me a setup with stellar vapor quality and I'll show you someone using copious amounts of herb effortlessly.

...most people use them to get effortlessly stoned.

Uh, this is a microdosing thread. Are you here for some other reason? It might surprise you to learn that some of us microdose (using the smallest dose to achieve the desired effect) to keep our endocannabinoid system in good shape without unnecessarily down regulating our CB1 receptors by overconsuming.

virtualpurple

I personally think of my woodscent vaporizer from @Ed’s TnT. That is a true microdoser and I am in awe of how much vapor it churns out with scant amounts of material. There is just no comparison between that and say my old Davimci Ascent.

the same goes for my Supreme V3. Can it burn through copious amounts of herb? Sure. But that’s not how I use it. I try to only load enough herb that I can kill it in one big rip from my bubbler.

Summer

Long Island, NY
I microdose with my NV SH through water. ( 2 - 4) .2 gram hits @ low temp (575°) & I'm where I want to be. Just my :2c:

Just re-read my post & need to be clear: .2 grams of weed in total which equates to 2 - 4 hits total hits. :tup::)

Summer,

howie105

Is there a general consensus on what the weight of a micro-dose of bud is supposed to be? Come to think of it is there a recognized weight for a regular or large dose of pot? Its all so very confusing but then I haven't had my morning coffee.

howie105,

shredder

I'm into micro-dosing because I enjoy getting high, but have trouble with my lungs

I'm pretty much the same, old tired lungs with an asthma kicker.

My solution is to use more homemade medibles, and much less vaping.

Some days I don't vape at all, and when I do it's a micro amount. Last week I went 3 days without vaping. My lungs felt noticably better. No wheezing at night.

Concentrates at micro doses and low temps are my go to.

Just another option to consider.
And you can microdose with medibles, although you need patience to wait out the effects.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Sorry for my ignorance but what is a "NV SH" and how do you not combust at 575 when combustion normally occurs above 450?

Newvape (Flowerpot) Showerhead
It uses a PID controller and coil to regulate temperature, those set points are the temperature of the heating coil where the thermocouple is located, which is why the temperatures referenced for PID powered vapes can appear high.

hinglemccringleberry

Uh, this is a microdosing thread. Are you here for some other reason? It might surprise you to learn that some of us microdose (using the smallest dose to achieve the desired effect) to keep our endocannabinoid system in good shape without unnecessarily down regulating our CB1 receptors by overconsuming.
You're right. Sorry for my wildly off topic post where I didn't discuss micrososing at all :rolleyes:

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I'm pretty much the same, old tired lungs with an asthma kicker.

My solution is to use more homemade medibles, and much less vaping.

Some days I don't vape at all, and when I do it's a micro amount. Last week I went 3 days without vaping. My lungs felt noticably better. No wheezing at night.

Concentrates at micro doses and low temps are my go to.

Just another option to consider.
And you can microdose with medibles, although you need patience to wait out the effects.

You and me Brother. "Old tired lungs with an asthma kicker."

This made me realize that there are multiple reasons that someone might want to microdose: More manageable high; Saving money; Fewer spouse hassles; Ease throat/lungs; Keeping tolerance low; and I'm sure there's others.

Personally I like to get moderately high in the afternoon and again in the evening, and once or twice a week really ripped vaping (or previously smoking) in the evening while exploring my music collection(former dj and alternative radio station president). But its become not worth it because of wheezing, not terribly bad but quite bothersome while trying to sleep. That's why I'm exploring...and enjoying microdosing, among other techniques. One or two lower 356F temp hits and I can sometimes cruise through the evening without picking up one of my vapes again. But I still like getting really ripped. So now I'm exploring a few easy hits and edibles, but I find edibles much less manageable during the day. Even in the evening with edibles sometimes I barely get high and other times I'm too wrecked to enjoy it.

Friday will be three full months of experimenting with ways to cut down on lung distress while continuing to get stoned. So far lower temps and microdosing are the most effective, sustainable, manageable...and enjoyable techniques. The biggest problem is staying conscious of what I'm doing. Sometimes if I'm talking on the phone or absorbed in a movie, I forget what I'm doing and consume the whole bowl. And then end up coughing and wheezing again. This getting old business really isn't for sissies.

Last edited:

chlorophyll_man

AVB Inspector
It might already have been posted and this DaVinci article about microdosing isn't new, but it's bang on and a really useful bit of reading for new or existing cannabis users introducing themselves to microdosing. Don't worry, there's only a couple of references to their own products, it's still a useful read.
I've assumed the doses they've suggested are for dry herb, as they match my experience.

Top Bottom