MFLB Orbiter or new vape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrawbKerry

I've been a very happy owner of a LB for the past 6 months or so (you can see my review here if you want) and I want to try something different. I'm tossing up between the Orbiter and a completely new vape.

I don't want to replace my LB, I want a new experience. So essentially I want more of a "session-style" vape which would be mainly or entirely for home use. I've always been interested in the Orbiter, so I'd like to hear from anyone who has one whether it lends desktop credibility to the MFLB or not.

If it's not, new vape recommendations must follow this guideline:

1. As mentioned before, a session style vape where the strength lies in longer use. Not excluding portables if they are up to the task though.

2. Obviously the cheaper the better, but pretty flexible on price. Quality is more important than price.

3. Great taste.

4. Temperature control.

5. Not required, but I would like to be able to accessorise it.

That's it, really. Can't wait to hear from you!

Last edited:
StrawbKerry,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I've been a very happy owner of a LB for the past 6 months or so (you can see my review here if you want) and I want to try something different. I'm tossing up between the Orbiter and a completely new vape.

I don't want to replace my LB, I want a new experience. So essentially I want more of a "session-style" vape which would be mainly or entirely for home use. I've always been interested in the Orbiter, so I'd like to hear from anyone who has one whether it lends desktop credibility to the MFLB or not.

If it's not, new vape recommendations must follow this guideline:

1. As mentioned before, a session style vape where the strength lies in longer use. Not excluding portables if they are up to the task though.

2. Obviously the cheaper the better, but pretty flexible on price. Quality is more important than price.

3. Great taste.

4. Temperature control.

5. Not required, but I would like to be able to accessorise it.

That's it, really. Can't wait to hear from you!

The Orbiter is a wonderful little bubbler and if you get one I predict you'll love it. I don't know if it would provide the new experience you're looking for, though. It won't change the LB into the session-style device you're seeking. For that, I think the Solo might be a good choice. You get good quality for a reasonable price, and people often praise the taste. I'm not sure what you mean by accessorizing, but people have done all sorts of things to their Solos.

Grim Chiclets

IMHO the orbiter is best if you have the power adapter to go with it. I would suggest solo, unless you wanted a session vape with no battery to worry about, then I would look for an iolite.
I second the Solo, the thing's insane for less than $150. Another great option I constantly recommend is the Nano, though temp control is a bit more reliant on you having your own "tried and true" settings.
Both are also highly customizable with glass, electronics, and custom extras (mostly FC user-made)

Personally I'd be inclined to say everyone should have/try a Solo at some point; I just can't envision myself phasing it out :tup:

Grim Chiclets,
Reactions: kahlilhc

tennstrong

Thirding the solo for a new vape, just get that for ~110-120 new, get a d020 or gb187 for 20/30$ off dhgate, and a 18/14mm reducer (if you put your stem in this, it will seal airtight). Accessories I'd say just look at either the wood tnt stems or pvhes from PV based on glass v wood preference. Not needed though.
On the other hand if you want a powered option and have little or no stealth regard I'd recommend: UD for a log style vape (and great customer service, @underdog has the best customer service I've experienced bar none and I sort of let mine die by not contacting them for support in time for my warranty, was not a good time for me personally and was having personal issues, so it seemed overwhelming at the time to contact them [many regrets now that I'm UD'less, bought my solo off a friend for 60$ though to make up for it, that being said Dave/ @underdog is great to deal with and probably has the quickest and most supportive staff to top it off). If I get another desktop it's either going to be the UD just because I loved mine and the staff @underdog / @underdogette or a volcano on sale just purely for bag vaping (I wouldn't pay over 400$ for one). The UD though if you have no stealth concerns is just pretty much a better solo, great airflow on their gong, and hits fast/strong enough that my friend who chopped/smoked close to a half oz a week actually chose it over my combustion piece after his second visit (first time he wouldnt put his bud in the vape haha, was too used to bong smoking, but after finally coming around and using my Underdog all he would do is vape with me and said it made him feel considerably better the day after [lungwise]).
If I were to rate airflows I'd put the gong UD at a 9/10 (10 being just pulling from bags), the solo at around a 6/10, however with water pipe connections I'd put it up to a 7.5, and I do not have experience with the pvhes gong stem, which I'd assume would increase airflow further. To be honest both benefit greatly from water diffusion, to the point that I couldn't imagine someone without a water path. (if you need advice or anything on which glass water pipe to buy or anything feel free to pm me, I have a fairly extensive amount of experience of water testing and different pieces). For a low cost alternative, get the solo and a nectar collector [warning: no experience with that seller] to use as a knockoff hydratube, then use a rubber band to seal the adapting joint to the stem. (this would be a 14mm/14mm male to female adapter, ie an expander but is 14mm on both ends, your LHS will have these adapters for 10-15$ if you want to buy locally)

StrawbKerry

Thanks for the responses, people! I was very close to getting the Solo AND the Orbiter - they're doing a bundle sale with the PA at the moment, which I also don't have - but because of living in Australia, the price hurt my wallet a bit too much. (Including a few accessories for my LB it was $500 all up). Wishing I was in the US right now, the exchange rate and shipping is killing me!

For now I am going to get a new vape, and will purchase the Orbiter at a later date. The Solo looks really good, plus being a favourite here at FC helps a bit! The UD has piqued my interest though, what do you guys think of it?

Also, just to refine my criteria a bit, I realised I'd forgotten to put a couple of things on the list!

6. Needs to be quiet and not too smelly. I don't need complete silence or odourless-ness but something that is considered fairly stealthy is a must.

7. I don't mind how complex the first-time setup may be, but I would like the everyday use after that to be quite simple.

Thanks again for any help :)

StrawbKerry,
Reactions: Kief

tennstrong

Thanks for the responses, people! I was very close to getting the Solo AND the Orbiter - they're doing a bundle sale with the PA at the moment, which I also don't have - but because of living in Australia, the price hurt my wallet a bit too much. (Including a few accessories for my LB it was $500 all up). Wishing I was in the US right now, the exchange rate and shipping is killing me!

For now I am going to get a new vape, and will purchase the Orbiter at a later date. The Solo looks really good, plus being a favourite here at FC helps a bit! The UD has piqued my interest though, what do you guys think of it?

Also, just to refine my criteria a bit, I realised I'd forgotten to put a couple of things on the list!

6. Needs to be quiet and not too smelly. I don't need complete silence or odourless-ness but something that is considered fairly stealthy is a must.

7. I don't mind how complex the first-time setup may be, but I would like the everyday use after that to be quite simple.

Thanks again for any help :)
In that case, IMO check ebay for free worldwide shipping on a solo and use bidsniper haha (personally got me my pen vape for 12$ shipped intl). I don't believe UD ships globally but I may be wrong. Still I'd recommend the Solo as you do have some stealth concerns and the UD will be left on nearly or always 24/7 as it is a log vape. The orbiter looks promising from my perspective, however there are definitely more affordable intl shipped options (from dhgate id recommend because you are in australia, just look for items with free shipping). A lot of ebay items have worldwide like this and dhgate generally has cheap shipping for a water tool option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom