Mexico Supreme Court rules pot use is constitutional right

gaseous_clay

So basically a group of rational stoners got together, formed an official club and sued to be able to use recreationally. This is huge.

Canada's new PM. (Have I missed a thread on him?)

Colorado, Washington & Oregon.

Mexico.

Bernie.

Things are changing for the better. :)

http://alj.am/b2cy

Smoking marijuana is a basic human right. That extraordinary argument swayed Mexico’s Supreme Court on Wednesday, when it ruled that a federal health law prohibiting cannabis cultivation and personal use violates the constitution — an unprecedented decision that may trigger similar court appeals and pressure the country’s congress to weigh widespread legalization of the drug.

In a landmark interpretation of drug laws widely blamed for violence that has claimed thousands of lives in Mexico, a panel of five judges ruled in favor of a nonprofit marijuana club — the Mexican Society for Responsible and Tolerant Autoconsumption, or SMART — which argued that the health law violates the right to the “free development of one’s personality.”In essence, SMART lawyers successfully claimed that the constitution allows individuals the autonomy to experiment with the effects of cannabis despite the potential dangers the practice entails.

The 4-1 ruling followed an injunction filed by SMART against a 2013 ruling by Mexico’s health regulator that prohibited the organization from cultivating and consuming cannabis for recreational purposes.

“It’s a historic ruling because it centers the drug policy discussion on human rights, because it declares that prohibitions concerning personal use and cultivation are excessive,” said Lisa Sánchez, Latin America program manager for U.K.-based the nonprofitTransform Drug Policy Foundation. “This is a very important step. It not only gives us jurisprudence. It demonstrates an incoherence between the country’s most qualified jurists and congressional legislation. This should have an effect on Congress to reform [drug] policy as soon as possible.”

The decision effectively legalizes recreational marijuana — but only for SMART members. Laws prohibiting the warehousing, sale and distribution of cannabis remain intact. In 2009, Mexico joined a handful of other Latin American countries in decriminalizing the possession of small amounts of marijuana and cocaine.
http://alj.am/b2cy

MinnBobber

Things are changing for the better. :)

The Green Wave is growing !!!
But don't stop fighting for cannabis as ignorance dies hard.

Here in MN a committee was established to recommend whether to add or not add "Intractable Pain" to eligible med cannabis conditions.
Their draft recommendation is to NOT ADD intractable pain as it's "potentially dangerous". WTF.
Currently, intractable pain is treated with prescription painkillers which annually kill 16,000 people.
Cannabis has never killed anyone but it's too dangerous to use for intractable pain.

When will the madness stop???

biohacker

You got me! :lol: Must have just assumed it was a NEW thread! :rofl:My bad, although we might have a new PM in the not to distant future anyway :brow:

biohacker,
Reactions: macbill

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Here is another article from the Washington Post:
Mexico’s Supreme Court overturns country’s ban on recreational marijuana

The Supreme Court of Mexico issued two rulings on Wednesday that effectively overturn the country’s ban on the recreational use of marijuana.

The rulings follow similar decisions in three previous cases, going back to 2015. Under Mexican law, five such decisions set a binding precedent nationally.

“This 5th judgement means that, while the cannabis prohibition law nominally remains in place for now (and arrests remain possible), all judges nationally are now bound by the Supreme Court judgement as a defense in the (now much less likely) scenario of prosecutions being brought,” according to Transform, a think tank that was part of the effort to overturn the ban. “The legalisation of cannabis for adult personal use, possession, private cultivation and sharing is therefore currently de facto (in practical effect), rather than de jure (formalised in law/legislation).”

Tranquility

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/mexicos-ruling-party-plans-legislation-to-legalize-marijuana-sales/

Just days after Mexico’s Supreme Court ruled that laws prohibiting the use, possession and personal cultivation of marijuana are unconstitutional, key officials from the country’s ruling party said they are already pondering legislation to legalize cannabis sales as well.

First, Mexico’s Congress will act to repeal the now-invalidated criminal statues against marijuana.

But then, “we are going to take a step forward in the regulation that may already involve the production, marketing and distribution of marijuana,” said Olga Sánchez Cordero, a senator who is expected to become interior secretary in the incoming government of President-elect Andrés Manuel López Obrador.

Their party, the National Regeneration Movement, which goes by the acronym MORENA in Spanish, controls Mexico’s Congress.

“I say it from the heart: we celebrate it, the Court is setting a marvelous precedent for us to walk in that direction,” Sánchez said, according to a Google translation of a Reforma report.

Mario Delgado, a party leader in the other half of Mexico’s Congress, the Chamber of Deputies, told the news outlet that he would support the marijuana legislation.

“We have seen progress in Canada, in the United States,” he said.

Last month, Sánchez and other members of López Obrador’s future cabinet discussed legalizing cannabis with Canadian government officials on a trip to that country, which ended prohibition of cannabis on October 17.

López Obrador takes office as president on December 1.​

JCat

Accessory Maker
So ... does this mean I will be able to bring my own cannabis to Mexico with me soon on vacation? If it's legal in Canada, and it's legal in Mexico, then why would I not be able to? You can bring a certain amount of tobacco and alcohol with you ....

Would be super awesome if I could bring a ccell cart full of CO2 oil for each day of travel :)

Edit: I e-mailed the Consulate General for Mexico in Toronto to ask this question ... I'll post back the response ...

Last edited:

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
So this means Us is now sandwiched between 2 large fully legalized countries and yet still not completely legal itself?
Common guys, be the leaders again, you've been taking some huge stepbacks recently.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Key Mexican Senator Introduces Bill To Legalize Marijuana Sales
https://www.marijuanamoment.net/key-mexican-senator-introduces-bill-to-legalize-marijuana-sales/
A senator from Mexico’s ruling party who will soon be a key member of the incoming president’s cabinet filed a bill to legalize marijuana production and sales on Tuesday.

The move comes less than one week after the Mexican Supreme Court struck down the country’s criminalization of cannabis use and possession as unconstitutional.

Under the proposed General Law for the Regulation and Control of Marijuana, introduced by Olga Sánchez Cordero, a senator who is expected to become interior secretary in the government of President-elect Andrés Manuel López Obrador, it would be legal to use, possess, cultivate and sell of cannabis, subject to regulations.

Top Bottom