Mettrum Ltd. (MMPR Canada)

PoisonousHydra

To any for whom this may prove useful,

I recently underwent a journey to become a patient of the relatively new Marihuana for Medical Purposes Regulations here in Canada. This new system came into full effect March 31 2014, replacing the now defunct MMAR system, which faced harsh criticisms for its monopolistic nature and low quality medicinal product. You can read all about the MMPR on Health Canada's website: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/marihuana/index-eng.php . A discussion of these laws, this is not. If you wish to discuss the new system versus the old one, I welcome you to start your own thread to do so. Of course, I will more than happily answer specific questions about the system and my experience going through it.

About a half year ago, when I started this process, I could find virtually no information concerning the licensed providers in my country, so I am hoping to fill the gap by letting my fellow Canadians pick my brain about (sadly only) one provider's medication. I will start with some reviews, finish with some detailed photographs, and will do my best to answer any and all follow up questions.

I have taken upon myself the perhaps unwieldy task of reviewing the medication I receive from this company. Before continuing, I feel that a disclaimer is necessary: here in Canada, our system is very different from what I understand your American free market to be. In other words, while I am free to shop around, so to speak, and find the best medication available to me, I am only permitted to be a customer of one provisioner of said medication at any given time. This means that, until such a time as I am dissatisfied with their products, or find what seems like a more viable alternative for my personal needs, I will be reviewing strains only from Mettrum Limited: http://www.mettrum.com. I am in no way affiliated with this company, or any of its parent or subsidiary companies. I thereby hold no bias, and will try to be as objective as possible throughout this review process. I am, in reality, just another consumer, looking for the best possible quality medication available to treat my ailments. Switching providers here in Canada would entail withdrawing my application, and beginning the medicinal certification process over entirely, starting with my doctor. This is not something I foresee happening for the time being.

Finally, before I get to the good stuff, allow me to elaborate on my medical issues. These have all been diagnosed by professionals, I did not simply go online and assign these conditions to myself based upon symptoms ;).
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- Chronic depression
- Hypothyroidism
- Chronic nausea (cause remains unknown)
- Acute tendonitis (left ankle / right knee)
- Chronic subluxation of right shoulder
- Impaired fasting glucose
- Sleep apnea

In a nutshell, from a medical perspective, I am trying to alleviate anxiety, depression, chronic nausea, cramps, and pain; and improve my appetite, social functioning, and mood. For these reasons, I will probably be providing higher praise to the strains which are potent in CBD versus THC. This does not mean that I will not be ordering strains that are high in THC: on the contrary, I plan to order as many varieties as possible before settling into my favourite two, or three. If you have any specific questions about medicinal qualities of the medication which are not primary concerns of mine, I will do the best I can to answer them for you. Consumption is 99% vapour oriented: I literally only combust when friends are over and insist upon it. My daily driver is highlighted in green in my signature. I have been a daily user for 10+ years so I feel that my tolerance is probably on the higher end. Each product is being evaluated in 30 gram batches, unless otherwise specified, so I should have a good feel for the medication, and its effects by the end of two weeks.
I will be trying to stay away from using numerical rating scales for the time being, but if anyone insists upon it, or I find that it is necessary down the road, I may change my stance on this. For the time being, I will stick with words, and pictures.

Without further ado:

Red #4 (Hybrid) THC: 18.38% CBD: 0.32%
Manufacturer's description:
"Base genetic origins: Afghanistan, Mexico & Columbia, crossed with Brazil & India.
Observations: Creative, euphoric, happy, potent body affect with very small quantities.
Believed to be good for: Pain, stress, anxiety, depression, migraines, PMS, nausea, appetite.
Flavour / aroma: Citrus, lemon, pineapple."

This was the first strain I ordered from Mettrum, and I was extremely satisfied immediately upon receiving it. The buds were extremely fresh, and upon opening the container, I was greeted with a very heady aroma of citrus, as mentioned. The buds were a little on the thinner, taller side, with a very light, and fresh feel, and aroma to them. The flavour profile was indeed indicative of citrus: I would personally say it was reminiscent of mango mixed with pineapple. Visual inspection through an 8X eye loop showed extremely pronounced crystallization, particularly around the tops and bottoms of the flower clusters. The initial onset of the medication was indeed very creative and euphoric, but also with a pronounced body effect, especially in the lower limbs. This is a very nice combination, because I personally found that it lead to a very pronounced feeling of sedation, excellent for pain and nausea, but negating the lethargy and inability to function sometimes associated with the heavily sedating strains. I can confirm that it was indeed very effective at treating every condition listed by Mettrum in the above description. It seemed to have a quick onset, but last for an extremely long time: a very uplifting, blissful sensation, combined with an almost glowing body buzz. This is indeed a rare combination in street strains: most either knock you on your ass, or get you high as a kite. Finding that this one covers both ends of the spectrum means that it is definitely on my reorder list.

Sadly, I have no picture of this strain, but as you will soon read, it is visually identical to the next, so you may scroll down and look at the photographs of Orange #4 if you are interested.

Last edited:

PoisonousHydra

Orange #4 (Hybrid) THC: 16.53% CBD: 0.27%
"Base genetic origins: Afghanistan, Mexico & Colombia crossed with Brazil & India.
Observations: Creative, euphoric, happy, potent body affect.
Believed to be good for: Pain, stress, anxiety, depression, migraines, PMS, nausea, appetite.
Flavour / aroma: Citrus, lemon, pineapple."

This was my second strain ordered from Mettrum, and I was again very satisfied with the medication I received. Some of you have probably already noticed that the description is identical to the Red #4, with the exception of the active cannabinoids. I believe that they are indeed bred from the same starting strain, and then grown out to slightly different ends. In fact, the manufacturer themselves are currently using identical pictures (and descriptions) for both strains on their website. Indeed, in my visual inspection with the aforementioned 8X loop, both strains appeared to be identical. The aroma and flavours of both were almost identical, but whether it was the different strain, or a different batch, the Orange #4 seemed to have a bit more of a pine aroma and taste to it when compared side by side against the Red #4. The medicinal effects of it were also virtually identical, with perhaps a slightly lessened sensation of euphoria and bliss: perhaps it is a little less effective for treating depression, and lack of motivation, but seems to be just as capable of addressing every other issue it claims to, and that I am personally afflicted with. In fact, it did more than enough to motivate me, and I am even considering making it my go to strain over the Red #4. Sometimes it is nice to have a little extra kick, but for me, and perhaps for others, it may be a little on the higher end (pun intended). For example, the Red #4 made me perhaps a little too giggly, and giddy at times. This also makes the Orange #4 better as a sleep aid, since it lacks a little of the caffeine like edge often associated with high THC strains, instead containing an overall more mellowing and calming profile.

Red #3 (Hybrid) THC: 17.4% CBD:0.1%
"Base genetic origins: Hindu Kush mountains & Pakistan crossed with Thailand & Afghanistan.
Observations: Happy, euphoric, sedated body affect.
Believed to be good for: Pain, stress, insomnia, muscle spasms, nausea.
Flavour / aroma: Grapes, blueberries, soft lemon, lime."

This was also a part of the second order I placed, and this time I was a little less than satisfied. Don't get me wrong: the product was of extremely high quality, on par with the others, it is simply not to my liking. Upon opening the container, the aroma was a very strong, fruity one, with a very thick, almost skunky undertone to it. Visual inspection was extremely pleasing, and it looks very much like it smells: very dark, thick buds with extremely dark red hairs, and purple hints to the flowers. Crystallization was again extremely pronounced. The flavour was very much like the aroma, and like described by the provider: very strong on the palette tasting of dark berries, with a slight hint of citrus. I actually described it initially as tasting a bit like Froot Loops ;). Sadly, this is where the joy ended, for me personally. The flavour and aroma were excellent, and the euphoria, and relaxation were indeed very pronounced. The thing that was missing for me was the anxiety relief, primarily. I initially thought that it seemed strange that they would list it as being good for stress, but not anxiety, but this does indeed ring true with my experiences. It seemed to be very good at relaxing me, and mellowing me out a bit, but not very good at calming me down if I was already feeling anxious or panicked. I also did not find that it did much for my cramps, although it did help with the queasiness and nausea. Again, I must emphasize that this is certainly high quality medication, it is simply not up my alley. Even as far as the flavour profile goes, I much prefer the milder tasting herbs to the ones that taste heavily of fruits, or grapes.

Overall, they can count at least one satisfied customer. Their website is very informative, offering simple instructions for applying, all necessary documents, and reasonably detailed descriptions of the products they have on offer. I will criticize that they should have pictures of all strains, both growing, and cured, as well as not reuse pictures for different strains, as mentioned (although I give them a pass since said strains have no visually discernable differences). I also must point out that their timeframes for when strains are slated to arrive are often questionable, and get pushed back a few times. Again, a minor criticism, but it's there. I am also crossing my fingers that they have some sort of online ordering process in the future. Calling them every month gets a little tedious. Another problem that I have run into (which is a problem with the system, not the provider) is that I am apparently only allowed to place an order once every thirty days. Since my prescription is good for thirty days, but this does not take shipping times into consideration this seems like a fairly big oversight on the part of whomever designed the program. I have been joking to my spouse that the government must think they are teleporting my medication to my front door. Regarding shipping, the first time I ordered, the order shipped one day later than they had informed me that it would, meaning that I did not get it until the following week. The second and third times the order arrived within about 36 hours of it being placed, so the issue with shipping times being unaccounted for is minor, but this is also coming from within the same province as I reside. Someone on the other end of the country is definitely going to have issues. Their staff are extremely friendly, efficient, helpful, and informative whenever I call. The only time I have really had to spend much time on hold was the most recent time I placed an order, and even then, the total length of the call, including placing my order was 19 minutes. Their stock levels seem to be iffy: there have been two times so far when I have wanted products, and have had to make substitutions, because they were out of stock (but usually available within 24 hours). One time they even informed me that the product I wanted to order was available, but had been subjected to the somewhat controversial process of gamma irradiation. Since I am not someone with sensitive needs from a microbial perspective, I politely declined. Still, it bears mentioning that this of irradiated product being sent to uninformed customers was an issue under the old Health Canada system, so they get merit points for informing me as a consumer. A friend of mine, who is looking for a doctor who will give him his medicinal card as well, was also extremely impressed with their products. He immediately remarked how you can tell that it was grown in a sterile environment, and looked identical to the shit he "bought in California". For anyone considering going the legitimate route: I find that I am paying a little bit more for my medication versus purchasing it on the street, but the fact that it is clean, sterile, and that I have consistent access to strains which provide me with the medicinal benefits I need, are all considerations which make it more than worth the slightly added costs.

I will end this for now. Again, if anyone has any questions or queries please be more than happy to direct them my way. If this helps even one person on their medicinal journey, I will be thrilled. Next review to come: Mettrum Orange #2 (Sativa). I also wanted to try their only Indica dominant strain, to get away from all of these hybrids but sadly it was on 24 hour back order. Next time folks, I promise.

Many thanks,
The Lernaean Hydra.

Last edited:

PoisonousHydra

Orange #2 (Sativa) THC: 15.41% CBD: 0.17%
Manufacturer's Description:
Base genetic origins: Hindu Kush mountains & Pakistan, crossed with Mexico, Columbia & Thailand
Observations: Almost instant onset, creative, social, energetic.
Believed to be good for: Pain relief, stress, muscle spasms, depression, insomnia, PMS.
Flavour / aroma: Sage, fresh cut pine, sandalwood, moss-like background.
This was a part of my third order from Mettrum, and I was anxious to try something which was not a hybrid, and marked as being Sativa dominant. I have always been more of an Indica creature myself, but in the interest of donating my body to the scientific process, I figured I would give it a whirl. Upon visual inspection of the flowers it immediately became evident that these were much less dense, robust flower clusters than the strains I have previously acquired from Mettrum. The flowers are for the most part smaller, and scraggly looking. It is obvious that what we have here is a Sativa dominant strain. Through an 8X eye loop, one will notice a very light green shade, very bright and fresh looking flowers, and many bright orange hairs intertwined amongst the leaves. The crystallization, as ever, does not disappoint. The descriptions of the flavour and aroma are spot-on. I try not to read them when ordering, and then form my own opinion with an unbiased mind. In this case, my impressions with both senses indicated a very mossy, sage-like profile, with a bit of a pine oil undertone when inhaled deeply. The smell that comes off of the product when burned or vapourized is indeed very similar to the aroma of sandalwood incense. My initial impressions of the effects were underwhelming, but it soon grew on me. My first several sessions with the medication were not satisfactory in addressing my pain, cramps, or nausea. Since I was rather heavily afflicted with each of those at the time, this probably lead to my initial lack of satisfaction. As well, since most of my ailments are very body centric, and Sativas are commonly thought of as affecting the mind and head more than the body (and in the case of Orange #2, this is very true) I believe that it was simply not potent enough in the sedating cannabinoids to take care of my afflictions. I also initially found the flavour and aroma somewhat off-putting: almost too potent, to the point of getting in the way of my enjoyment the experience. I must admit that it seems like it is somewhat of an acquired taste. After two weeks of (mostly) enjoying this medication, it seems as though I have become accustomed to the potency of the flavour and aroma, and no longer find it almost nauseating. Perhaps it has simply been too long since I have had strain with predominantly Sativa genetics, and my body needed some time to familiarize itself with the flavour and effects. I will say that it definitely lives up to its alleged qualities: the onset of the medication is almost instant, but it does not seem to peak until roughly 45 minutes after the start of a vapour session. This medication is very good at providing inspiration, and motivation: in fact, I found myself cleaning most of my house after using it, which is not something I usually feel strongly compelled to do. It seems to inspire very creative ways of looking at the world around oneself, which is always a welcome frame of mind to be in. In fact, for the psychological aspects of panic and stress it seems to be extremely effective: the only issue is that once panic begins to manifest itself physically, I have found it to be lacking. Much like the Red #3, it seems to be good for reducing stress, and aiding relaxation, but mediocre for anxiety and panic attacks. If you are using this medication for anxiety, like I primarily am, I would suggest keeping it around for preventing panic attacks, not for treating them.

In closing, I am not sure what I will order next time, but I will try to keep the variety going. Mettrum now have some extremely high CBD containing strains, but they are pricey, and currently out of stock, which is why I don't want to make promises. At the risk of sounding like a stick in the mud, I would really appreciate any feedback: positive, or constructive criticisms are welcome. It just seems odd to me that, at the time of my writing this, this thread has over 160 views, and only one like. I'm not asking for you to stroke my ego, but I do suffer from anxiety issues, and sometimes I freak out a little and start to wonder if this is borderline inappropriate content, or just not something anyone has any interest in reading. While enjoyable, it nevertheless took me more than a few hours to author over 20,000 words, and take multiple high-resolution photos of my cannabis flowers ;).

Until next time,
The Lernaean Hydra.

SunnyHours

No, don't worry I do have some interest, I am in the process of trying to find a doctor to become legal. And it's no easy task in Montreal. :cuss:

There's just something about being able to vape anywhere, anytime without ramping up my anxiety that's appealing. :rockon:
The fact you don't have the right to grow anymore, less so... :disgust:

PoisonousHydra

Although I am primarily a home user, I couldn't agree more: the lessening of my cannabis-related anxiety has been a heavy burden lifted off of my shoulders.

My advice to you, @SunnyHours is to move to Ontario like I did.

It looks like it might be a long time before Quebec doctors come around since their governing body is essentially telling them to not prescribe cannabis.

Last edited:

VaporsVaporizer

On the Stoop
I enjoyed reading your posts in this thread last night. I didn't comment, because i don't live in Canada and my state just voted in the most ridiculous MMJ law last week and i'm jealous of all those that have access and variety :D

TwztedVaper

Boom Shankar
Nice reviews! I'm looking into options for the future as well but gonna wait for some of the ones currently producing to start shipping, as the early options run out of stock or have had some bad reviews. Some friends of mine have been talking to Tilray and OrganiGram

P.S Since your reviews are pretty great, if you want more eyeballs on it try submitting em to www liftmj dot com, it's a decent review website for MMPR producers

PoisonousHydra

@VaporsVaporizer - On one hand, I appreciate the feedback, and on the other, I am really sorry to hear that. To be honest with you, our Canadian system is pretty archaic as well. The government has essentially taken the stance that cannabis is a narcotic, but one which they can no longer deny a certain aspect of their citizenry access to. It is certainly a step in the right direction, but still pretty absurd in my opinion.

@TwztedElegance - Thank you for the praise. I was a little worried when I placed my last order with Mettrum, because you could tell that it was chaotic over there, and their stock quickly plummeted afterwards. Thankfully, they have taken measures to ensure that this is only a temporary shortage, deciding to stop taking new clients until their stock levels can rebound. They currently have 4 strains in stock, and 7 which they are out of. I also appreciate your suggestion to publish these reviews elsewhere, but I would prefer to keep them exclusive to this forum.

These stock issues unfortunately mean that it may be a while before I have the pleasure of doing any more of these reviews. My last order was for my go to, the Orange #4, since nothing else they had in stock interested me save for the Orange #1, which had sadly been irradiated.

I recently noticed a slight discrepancy between the quantities of cannabinoids listed on Mettrum's website, and on their packaging. I made a mental note to inquire with them about this, and it turns out to be exactly that which I expected: the website numbers are for the strain in general, whereas the quantities listed on the packaging are for the batch, as tested. Therefore, I feel it is prudent to update this thread with the quantities for the flowers I have received personally, instead of using the numbers from their website for the strain in general. I will also be sure to follow this practice in all future reviews. The difference is negligible, but it is there, so I feel it bears mentioning.

Red #4 (Hybrid) THC: 18.4% CBD: 0.3%
Orange #4 (Hybrid) THC: 15.8% CBD: 0.39%

Red #3 (Hybrid) THC: 17.4% CBD:0.1% = no change
Orange #2 (Sativa) THC: 15.41 CBD: 0.17 = no change

Yobi

I'm only replying here to add my own experience with Mettrum, for those trying to decide on a licensed producer.

To start, they are terrible at keeping stock. I have written a script to monitor their webpage for changes to their available strains and still have trouble getting my hands on the strains that I'm seeking.

Here is an example: They opted to release some of their less common strains at the start of this past long weekend. My script notified me as soon as their site was updated, but they had already closed up shop for the weekend. I left a message indicating that I would like to make a purchase of their Yellow strain. A few hours later, they sent an email out notifying all clients of the new strain availability.

Upon opening after the weekend, their phone system was overwhelmed and I could not get through. Several hours later, I received a call back for the voicemail message I had left previously. They informed me that all of the strains I was seeking were out of stock. It was at this time that they also let me know that their Yellow strain is only available to paediatric patients. This is something I can sympathize with, but they do not indicate this ANYWHERE on their website. Had I known that they would not be willing to sell me a CBD only strain, I would not have considered them for my choice of licensed producer. This is quite disappointing, especially considering that the process of switching LPs is not insignificant.

[Edit: As PoisonousHydra has pointed out, the strains altered availability had been communicated via a news post]

Now that that's off my chest and out in the open for those trying to decide on an LP, I will review one of their strains that I have received:

Blue N° 2 (Hybrid) THC 8.4% CBD 16.27%

This strain is quite nice. You won't experience the couch-lock that you will with low CBD strains. I find it to be very energetic and somewhat euphoric. There is a slight increase in appetite, but nothing extreme. I am using cannabis for a GI disorder and it does alleviate the symptoms to a fairly significant degree. When I begin to come down, I tend to notice a somewhat.. odd.. feeling, close to a mild depression. Overall, it is an enjoyable experience.

Last edited:

PoisonousHydra

@Yobi - I am sorry to hear that you have had difficulties with their stock levels. You are not alone, and I suspect as this MMPR program becomes flooded with clients this is going to become more and more the case across the board.

I also agree that it should perhaps be mentioned directly in the product description, but as for your claim that they do not indicate this ANYWHERE on their website, I have to correct you with the following quote:
Mettrum Yellow N° 1
We receive many inquiries about Yellow N° 1. This product has a unique profile of active ingredients with a high CBD percentage of 21.67%. At this point only limited quantities of Yellow N° 1 have been grown, and as a result we are not able to produce enough to meet the demand of those who are interested to try this product. We have been supplying Yellow N° 1 to a handful of clients for the past couple months.

Current production quantities are only enough to supply this small group of clients for the foreseeable future. Therefore, at the present time, we will not be able to open up availability of Yellow N° 1 to our expanded client base. Once we have the ability to increase production we will grow larger quantities and open up availability. Our Green and Blue products provide a very nice alternative for those who are looking to increase their intake of CBD.

The source for that is here, and allow me to repeat that I am not agreeing with their choice to not put this directly on the product page. I just don't want anyone to get the wrong impression, that Mettrum is misleading their customers. You may have to dig a little, but the information is there. Those were also the exact words contained in the email I received notifying me of the availability of the Yellow strain.

The one area in which I would tell you not to trust their website is if you are trying to keep tabs on their stock levels. As you have mentioned, they do not have an accurate depiction of their current stock levels on their site, but I don't think the site really purports itself to be accurate. They list strains as Available, not In Stock, and have no online ordering system which would indicate they are not keeping track of stock levels online. It certainly can be an inconvenience to call them, but I would suggest you stick to the telephone method for now, at least until they get this stock fiasco sorted.

I am glad to hear that you were able to get a product that you (seem to) enjoy after all was said in done. I will be posting a review of Orange #1 very shortly and have two of their new blended mixes on order, Purple #1 and Green #3. I am itching to try the Blue strain for myself, but it is a little out of my price range at the moment. Maybe I will place a small order and hope I don't get too hooked :D.

I really appreciate your feedback though. It was starting to get a little echoey in here, being the sole Mettrum customer talking to myself!

Yobi

Huh, I did not notice that news post. I do not mind that they're unable to provide their yellow strain to general patients, I'm actually in favour of it if it means that children are able to get the medication they require. I was merely voicing my frustration with the way it was handled. (Although, it turns out to have been handled better than I had thought). Had I known they would be unable to supply a low THC strain, it would have influenced my decision on which LP to use.

From the strain that I have received, I am confident in their ability to produce an excellent product. Hopefully the majority of the issue present with them dissipate as the company matures.

In the end, I believe the majority of mine and others frustrations are a direct result of the program being intentionally crippled by our government. Being restricted to a single supplier isn't good for the consumer on any business, much less one as sensitive as medicine. But, I suppose, at least we're able to ingest legal cannabis. It's a step in the right direction.

I should also note that I appreciate your reviews. The majority of reviews I've come across for strains in the program are not exactly eloquent, nor do they provide any helpful information. Yours are quite the opposite.

Last edited:

PoisonousHydra

I must apologize in advance for getting somewhat behind in these reviews. I had to take a brief hiatus from doing so due to some personal issues in my life, but I am now making a genuine effort to return to this. To that end, I believe I should start with a bit of an update as to the status of things over at Mettrum. Truth be told, it is more like a lack of an update, which is extremely disappointing :(. They are still having major stock issues with generally one decent flower strain on hand at a time, but tonnes of their "trim" products, which I will get into later. They are still not taking new clients, and hold times when placing orders are absurd. Luckily, due to a genuine increase in my personal health, and well being I have been needing to order from them less and less. I am still somewhat dreading the phone call which I will inevitably have to place tomorrow morning, mind you ;). Incidentally, that phone call resulted in me being told that they had no actual flower in stock, only their trim products, and that I should call back on Monday. Their (www.mettrum.com) website has actually gotten worse, not better with time, as they have removed all medicinal information on their strains, as well as all pictures of their products. I am only surmising here, but I have a hunch they ran into some red tape somewhere for making medicinal claims about their products (which our Canadian government seems to frown upon) and possibly even for using pictures of one strain for multiple products, as I mentioned previously. I am also willing to consider the possibility that they removed these things in good faith. Enough about me already, and let us get to the good stuff...

Purple #1 (THC Hybrid Trim) THC: 10.37% CBD: 0.12%
My order at this time consisted of half Purple #1, and Green #3. I was hoping to mix them together in a cocktail of sorts to achieve an interesting cannabinoid profile. Here is the first of the aforementioned Mettrum "trim" products. This is the term employed by Mettrum, but in reality at least this strain was essentially what most people would refer to as shake. Upon opening the product, I was not impressed with either the aroma, nor the appearance of what I had received. I was expecting something more like smaller flower clusters mixed in with leaf material (which is precisely what the Green 3# was) but was dismayed to find nothing but leaf in the container. Upon examination through an 8X magnifying loupe, there was some crystallization evident on these leaves, but nothing compared to the intense amount seen in previous Mettrum strains, which is to be expected given the absence of any flower. The aroma and flavour of this medication were not overall impressive, having a very leafy (no shit :p) and pine like after taste that seemed to stick to the throat and the palette. Upon consuming this medication, I felt little to no effect, no matter how many times I tried to use it, nor how many of my multiple vapourizers I attempted to employ. I did find that smoking it yielded a very mild, somewhat exhilarating effect, but not overall long lasting, nor useful for medicinal purposes. Interestingly enough, when they were still listing medicinal information on their website, I could not help but notice that there were not claims made for any of their trim products. This stuck out to me after I received these "medications" because the Purple #1 has very little medicinal value from my perspective, unless the prices on it were much lower than they were when I ordered (they have since dropped to 4.60$ CAD / gram which is close to where the price point should be for shake, in my humble opinion). I also find it interesting that Mettrum had mentioned in an email to me that all of their trim products were ideal for use in a vapourizer, but I found that this product was far too leafy, even after grinding, to be much use in any of the units I personally own. At a few dollars less per gram it would be worth buying a large quantity of this stuff and ingesting it orally, which is what I actually wound up using mine for, but more on that in the epilogue...

PoisonousHydra,

PoisonousHydra

Green #3 (CBD Hybrid Trim) THC: 3.91% CBD: 10.85%
This half of the order was much more promising, although not personally up my alley, so to speak. I found the aroma upon opening this product was very pleasant. It had almost a minty smell to it mixed with an undertone of rosemary, perhaps. Inspection through the aforementioned 8X loupe revealed that the product consisted mostly of very small flower clusters, and some leafy matter. The crystallization on the flower clusters was very pronounced. While I have no personal experience with their high CBD flowers, @Yobi seemed to suggest that they were of high quality, so no surprise there. The flavour was very similar to the smell, consisting of a very pleasant minty undertone with a surprisingly pleasant grassy flavour, and I found that this product, unlike the Purple #1 was very easy to enjoy either in a vapourizer, or via (fuck) combustion. Upon vapourizing this medication, I found myself overcome with a calming sensation, but I found it to be a purely mental thing, not a physical one. This meant that, at the time, I found that I also needed a high THC strain around to prevent the physical symptoms of anxiety such as hyperventilation and panic attacks. This may be very different now, but I feel is worth noting, since this is ultimately a medicinal discussion. I have read in several places that high CBD strains are supposed to be excellent for treating disorders which may be resistant to typical forms of medication, amongst them PTSD. This is one of the reasons I was interested in trying a high CDB strain, but my experience with this one, at the time, was less than stellar. Perhaps this is simply a side effect of it being a trim product, and not a full flower, which is why I am very interested in trying Mettrum's high CDB strains in the future, if they are ever in stock :p. I am also now at a point in my life where my panic rarely manifests itself physically, and I can see how this strain would be very useful for someone who is worried about losing their functionality, so to speak. I know this happens to some people when consuming high THC strains; personally, it has never been a problem. If you suffer from any affliction that is purely mental (depression comes to mind, but mine seems to have been possibly almost entirely thyroid based) this may very well be the strain for you.

In the end, after being less than completely impressed with both of these products at the time, I decided to reconstitute them into some coconut oil. I believe I had consumed possibly 1/4 of each of the 30 gram jars before attempting this. Please do not tell the Canadian government, because any reconstitution or concentration of cannabis is illegal up here (I wish I was kidding, how silly!) :: rolleyes ::. I accomplished this illegal act via the fairly well known method of placing the coconut oil laden with cannabis in my slow cooker, in a water bath, and letting it boil away merrily for eight or so hours. The end results seem altogether satisfying, although I have only consumed roughly one quarter of the jar. Thus far the (contraband) coconut oil has been used in fudge as well as smoothies, and it seems to have a very nice body buzz complimented by an overall feeling of calm, euphoria, and sedation, but more experimentation is required, and at higher dosages, certainly. I will report back with results when this occurs. The recipe for the fudge (I followed my own procedure for processing the oil) can be found at the following link: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/detailed-abv-coconut-oil-extraction-and-fudge-recipe.15012/ I doubled the recipe, and then doubled the amount of coconut oil :D.

Orange #2 (Sativa) THC: 16.14% CBD: 0.36%
Just a quick update on my second 60 gram order of this strain: the product was very similar to my previous order of the same strain, but with one exception. The flowers that arrived on my doorstep were surprisingly virtually untrimmed. I will attach pictures to this effect, but I suspect it has something to do with what I mentioned in the introduction to this post: Mettrum seem to be having difficulty keeping full flowers in stock, so I feel this is a deliberate attempt on their part to increase the bulk of their product, without winding up with an overstock of "trim" they can not sell to anyone. To their credit, I have yet to try their Orange #3 (THC Hybrid Trim), but am hesitant to do so in light of my prior experiences with their trim line. However, I suppose that since the purported overall percentages of cannabinoids have increased since my first order [Orange #2 (Sativa) THC: 15.41% CBD: 0.17%] I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume the increased percentage compensates for the added mass. I do believe that I initially referred to the product as being somewhat scraggly looking, as a result of it being a Sativa dominant strain, but these flowers were given little to no trimming in the course of their processing. I am hoping that this was just a one off and that future orders from Mettrum are more in line with their previously excellent quality control standards.

In closing, I have not lost faith in Mettrum entirely, but the situation over there is currently bordering on dire. I will definitely give them a chance to redeem themselves, but since my prescription is up for renewal in the Spring I will certainly be exploring all of my options.

Thanks for tuning in,
The Lernaean Hydra.

Last edited:
PoisonousHydra,
Top Bottom