• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Member of the Month Contest Ideas Wanted!

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
We have great members and sponsors so how about some more giveaways! Let's come with a format for a member of the month giveaway.

Some ideas to start this off:
  • nominated and chosen by members
  • retroactive, but nominees must have posted in the last 6? months
  • can only win once per 6? months
  • need to make sure the system can't be gamed with fake votes, etc.

vtac,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Nice idea, vtac. How would you go about counting votes? I would suggest some type of email voting system as it is easy and clean. Not sure if that's possible, but just an idea.

I don't know if you're accepting nominations just yet, but I would nominate Vitolo for all the helpful and useful posts that he makes. And always with a smile, it seems. He's a breath of fresh air and a great asset to the forum.

:2c:

Stu,

stroh

errl enthusiast
i think vito is definitely a good choice for nomination, as he is always extremely helpful and quick to answer any questions one may have about the many vapes he is familiar with. Haven't made a thread in awhile so im not sure if there is a poll option like on many other messageboards, but i feel that would work just fine as you are only allowed 1 vote per user, and i really doubt people are gonna go through the trouble of making an account simply to vote, and if they were too, they would be easily recognizable as being an account made simply for an extra vote. i also feel that one should not vote for themselves, but there is little one can do about that outside of the honor system.

stroh,

MarcellusWiley

Dab Trotter
Stu said:
Nice idea, vtac. How would you go about counting votes? I would suggest some type of email voting system as it is easy and clean. Not sure if that's possible, but just an idea.

I don't know if you're accepting nominations just yet, but I would nominate Vitolo for all the helpful and useful posts that he makes. And always with a smile, it seems. He's a breath of fresh air and a great asset to the forum.

:2c:

If this idea goes through Vitolo definitely deserves first honors!

MarcellusWiley,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Keep the ideas coming! Save the nominations till after we get the details fleshed out. :)

Stu said:
I would suggest some type of email voting system as it is easy
That's something that could work. It would ensure that the vote came from an fc member.

stroh said:
im not sure if there is a poll option like on many other messageboards
There is not a poll feature so we'll have to work around that.

vtac,

stroh

errl enthusiast
hmm perhaps a voting thread in addition to the discussion/nomination thread could sort things out, and make it a little easier to count than email voting while also ensuring that only FC members vote.

stroh,
third for vito; the man one time sent me free stickers. And gives me heads up of contests and what not. A great guy, and his viteos always make me laugh!

biojuggernaut,
Cool idea! I nominate LWien for his legion contributions to this forums, and how he has been conspicuous by his absence - and well missed - for some time now

Edit: my bad

charliedontsurf,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Let's take it one step at a time. Please save the nominations till after we get the system figured out. This is not a nomination thread. Thank you. :)

vtac,

weedemon

enthusiast
I love that idea and most forums have a voting or poll option just use that to cast votes :)

weedemon,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I am concerned about starting some kind of hero or political culture around here. Just saying, ime, great intentions withstanding, this kinda thing can backfire if not completely thought through. I would be extremely cautious.

t-dub

t-dub,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Maybe we can have a rank system like other forums. You gather +rep(reputation) points . For example you get 1 point for each post and 10 points for +rep from a member, 100 point for noteworthy post. Flaming,scamming,misleading can result in minus points, if you get a negative score ,your account gets banned ,if you get highest score you are getting in the eternal vaporist ranklist :).

Abysmal Vapor,

hereatlast

t-dub said:
I am concerned about starting some kind of hero or political culture around here. Just saying, ime, great intentions withstanding, this kinda thing can backfire if not completely thought through. I would be extremely cautious.

Well said. I agree completely. :2c:

hereatlast,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I agree with the above, and am cautious about starting a popularity contest. However some, like Vito, contribute so much, it would be nice to recognize them in some way. As to how to do it, that's a tough one. Perhaps it should be mod driven? And then, with the choices given by the mods, we could vote?

momofthegoons,

SD_haze

i like the number based +repping by other members based on individual helpful posts Abysmal mentioned

makes it a bit less of a popularity contest while still being quantitatively based

SD_haze,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
hereatlast said:
t-dub said:

Well said. I agree completely. :2c:

Excellent point. This is why it's so nice to get input from you guys.

SD_haze said:
i like the number based +repping by other members based on individual helpful posts Abysmal mentioned

makes it a bit less of a popularity contest while still being quantitatively based
This is a nice idea but since the software doesn't have a rating system built in it's out for the time being.

How about some sort of ticket system. For example, reporting spam would you get 1 ticket to be entered in a monthly draw. Helpful posts in this thread could earn a ticket. :)

Edit: Expanding on the above idea.

Some more ideas on how tickets could be earned:
  • Edits to vaporpedia[/*]
  • Good recipes posted in the cooking section[/*]
  • Reporting spam[/*]
  • Mini contests. ex. post the best _____ picture[/*]
  • Random ticket giveaways. ex. first x people to post in a thread[/*]
  • Anyone with over x posts[/*]

The thought is to enter every ticket into a raffle type draw, first place gets first pick of the prizes (assuming there are multiple prizes on a given month), second place gets second pick and so on. If a member can only win once per 6? months, I don't see why we couldn't carry un-winning tickets over to the next draw.

If that makes sense, here are some questions:

• Should members be allowed to have more than one ticket?[/*]
  • Uh... I forgot the rest. More later.[/*]

Edit 2:

OK, I still can't remember the second question but for the first I'm thinking more than one ticket is ok if capped at say 10/person.

vtac,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
A meritocracy could definitely work. I was also envisioning awarding merch to people who demonstrate behavior that should be reinforced. Like you could have an award called the "Touche" for instance. It could be awarded for when one forum member, politely, using good sportsmanship and abiding by the forum rules, is found to be correct over another member on a question that has been the subject of debate for a while, or some such thing or maybe the parties could wager the award to whoever proves to be correct. This is just a late night idea. But it could be tailored to anything.

t-dub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqKz4H8kyV0&feature=related :)

t-dub,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
That's an interesting concept, t-dub, we could fit it into the ticket system as well.

Few more ideas on earning tickets:
  • Re-naming our new sections[/*]
  • Descriptions for the new sections[/*]
  • Trivia games in the chatroom[/*]

Assuming we went with the system outlined in my post above, do you think that the number of tickets each member has should be listed publicly?

vtac,

SD_haze

vtac said:
Assuming we went with the system outlined in my post above, do you think that the number of tickets each member has should be listed publicly?

I think it would definitely be more objective without the numbers being public, at least in the beginning.

Maybe later on add some sort of title/rank after someone's gotten some amount of tickets.
Nothing too fancy.

SD_haze,
Top Bottom