medicinal herbs questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkytofus

1. does vaporizing provide any benefits?

2. eating the brownies infused with cannabutter/coconut oil?

3. or only straight up oil extracting has benefits?

thanks!

stinkytofus,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Depends on what you are looking for in your medicine. Vaporizing takes your medicine from lungs straight to the brain. The effects don't last as long so you can adjust where you are at frequently.

Any kind of edible extraction you have to consider a few things. Nature has provided a nice safety in that anything you eat goes through your liver first. This is called the first pass liver effect and it changes delta-9-thc into 11-hydroxy-thc, a much more psychoactive substance. Some people like it some do not. Overindulge with an edible and you will find yourself in a bad situation for many, many hours.

Edibles can vary with regard to extraction technique, decarboxylation, and how the cannabinoids are bound to fats which alters digestion and absorption. Eating your medicine does put it in the body more and the strongest medicine I ever had was a bubble hash bar cookie. There was something about the way he melted the hash with the butter before putting it in the mix. RSO is also extremely powerful.

Best advice: Start S-L-O-W with any edible. If inexperienced take 1/4 the dose you "think" you need and wait AT LEAST an hour to measure the results. Knowing how your body metabolizes your medicine will help you as everyone is different.

:peace:

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
@stinkytofus Vaporizing is much better for you then smoking cannabis, if that's the herb you are wondering about. You can get long term health problems if you are an on going smoker.

You can vaporize and with the leftovers the ABV you can make edibles such as butter or oil. It is cost effective to vaporize verses smoking. Your cannabis budget could be cut in half.

Some folks need to use cannabis as medicine such as with pain. A combination of edibles and vaporizing can help with on going pain. I can no longer take any anti inflammatories due to how it weakens my kidneys. I have arthritis all over my body and cannabis helps me. I have no other options.

IMO flowers can be as effective as concentrates. It just takes more. Concentrates will medicate faster and you use less. I prefer flowers. Concentrates are more expensive to buy if you have access. I get more bang for my buck with flowers. I do concentrates but just a couple times or a few times a week just before bed. Your tolerance can go up if you do concentrates all the time.

Good advice from @t-dub especially the go slow with edibles. Once you've taken it and the liver breaks it down it's too late if you feel over medicated. You have to ride out the storm. Too much of an edible can last for 24+ hours too. It's easier to dose with vaporizing. What would be a dose for one person is different for someone else when it comes to an edible. I guess it would be that way with vaporizing too.

Last edited:
CarolKing,
Reactions: t-dub

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I prefer flowers
As do I. There seems to be something missing from concentrates that's very noticeable when dabbing. I have not had an edible in a quite a while as I am not a fan of the 11-hydroxy-thc experience.

t-dub,

Krazy

Edibles is a slightly different beast in that the THC is metabolized by the liver, which converts it to 11-hydroxy-THC. But basically you are getting the same meds no matter how you take it.

Edibles: Some people simply don't want to inhale. Great for looong dosing such as before bed for pain.

Buds/flowers: Instant onset; woohooo! Super easy to micro adjust your use.

Concentrates: Instant onset; now with turbo boost! Load a pocket devise with oil at Coney Island, take the back roads West, and you are still vaping in LA.

While I like the portability of concentrates, I prefer flowers in all other regards. I like the subtleties of taste and feel the that concentrates loose "something" medicinally as well. I don't really care if I need to do 3 pulls of 25% medial grade to equal one pull of 75% concentrate. I use edibles specifically for when my Chronic pain goes of the chart and/or taken right at bed time.

Krazy,

Morimoto

Vaping gets me a measured, dose-able, clean high, and the other cannabinoids do their thing, anti-inflammatory cannabinoids are the main reason I still use cannabis, I love getting high, BUT I also have a rare form of arthritis, so this helps me stay off insane medications, i.e I can get high recreationally and get medical benefits as a co-benefit.

my 2 cents on 11-hydroxy-thc edible effect is: It knocks me the fuck out! I have never eaten an edible or drank a drink with THC that didn't make me pass out. For some odd reason I get high 30 min after, I enjoy that for an hour, then at the 1.5 hour mark I get soooooooo sleepy I have to lay dawn and zzzzz.

SO! I do know that a lot of people report sedative effects from edibles, maybe I'm just an outlier and that's how it affects me.

Morimoto,

thisperson

Ruler of all things person
Vaping gets me a measured, dose-able, clean high, and the other cannabinoids do their thing, anti-inflammatory cannabinoids are the main reason I still use cannabis, I love getting high, BUT I also have a rare form of arthritis, so this helps me stay off insane medications, i.e I can get high recreationally and get medical benefits as a co-benefit.

my 2 cents on 11-hydroxy-thc edible effect is: It knocks me the fuck out! I have never eaten an edible or drank a drink with THC that didn't make me pass out. For some odd reason I get high 30 min after, I enjoy that for an hour, then at the 1.5 hour mark I get soooooooo sleepy I have to lay dawn and zzzzz.

SO! I do know that a lot of people report sedative effects from edibles, maybe I'm just an outlier and that's how it affects me.

In my experience when you want to go to sleep you ate too much of the edible.

I go for high dosage edibles because I'm convinced they are weaker than they say. When I get a real 300 MG brownie it gets me stupid high. I laugh at things a lot. I just want to sit and not move. I want to eat. I'm the stereotypical stoner. After 4 hours or so I fall asleep.

The times I've fallen asleep almost immediately, think 1.5 hours later, was because I got greedy with thc and wanted to eat more than one. I'd call that an overdose. lol

I prefer vaping. The clear headed high is definitely a must for day to day activities for me. That must be why I only get an edible when I want to celebrate something or there is a special day.

1. does vaporizing provide any benefits?

2. eating the brownies infused with cannabutter/coconut oil?

3. or only straight up oil extracting has benefits?

thanks!

1. There is the removal of smoke, the byproducts of combustion, which (although thc-only smokers have not seen decreased lung power in medical studies) can promote cancer.

There is a slight difference in highs. I prefer the vaping high. It is more clear headed to me. Still euphoric, but I think my thoughts are much clearer. I can pick up things where I left off almost instantly and can better guide my incessant inner train of thought. Smoking it does some of the same, but I've slowly become convinced that smoking the toxins causes part of the high. Which I do not want now.

2. If you're going for edibles, the ones I've found that are more consistent are the hash oil edibles.

3. I am convinced that extraction with a solvent causes something to go missing (probably a little more than toxins). If I were to describe it I would say that the agitation in the brain regions, or stimulation, is different. Where wax and vaping weed is hitting very precise points and regions, combustion seems to be a more all areas for one. Again, I think, because of the toxins.

Think of it like this, you take medicine in it's most pure lab created form, so why not attempt to do the same with every THC strain and get its vapor only, no toxins.

thisperson,
Reactions: t-dub
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom