marijuana and heart attacks

lwien

"Mittleman admits he cant explain exactly how pot could trigger a heart attack. It might be due to cannabis, the active ingredient of marijuana, or merely the smoke from a burning plant, he says. Smoking marijuana and tobacco both involve the latter, and both are now implicated in raising the risk of heart disease."

Another reason to vape. :)

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
I've worked as a lab tech (Biochem degree) for over 20 years and I call bullshit. If there's one thing I've learnt in working in reserch and science it's this; if you can't give citatitions to peer reviewed published research it's bullshit. Complete fucking bullshit (sorry for the language really, but this gets me worked up.

Here's a small quote, and note the conclusions that *can* be drawn

-------quote------------
These findings come from a study of 3,882 people who survived heart attacks. It was conducted at a number of centers around the country, including Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, where Mittleman works. In the study, 124 people reported using marijuana regularly. Of these, 37 people said they used it within 24 hours of their heart attacks. Nine said they smoked it within an hour of their attacks.
------end quote---------

124 people using marijuana regularly (of those 3882 people having heart attacks) is 3.1%

But the percentage of the general population who regularly use mariijuana is what....5%? 10%? 12%? certainly greater than 3.!%. The obvious conclusion (and I flunked college algebra gloriously....something in my brain doesn't llke non statistical math) that can be drawn is that if Cannabis users are under represented statistically in heart attack patients then something about Cannabis is cardioprotective. Less than 1% of heart attack patients used Cannabis in the 24 hours preceeding the attack, and less than 1/5 of 1% of heart attck patients used Cannabis in the hour preceeding the attack.

Shit, that article relly pisses me off.

thanks for posting the link, I appreciate it very much.
Tom

wthanna

Thanks for the breakdown! ;) You can definitely see the "spin" and bias in their "interpretation" of the results.

wthanna,

reprobate

vaporer
Choism said:
The danger exists in the first hour after smoking pot, Mittleman told an American Heart Association meeting in San Diego today (March 2). "It causes the heart rate to increase by about 40 beats a minute," he says. "Blood pressure increases then abruptly falls when the person stands up. This could precipitate a heart attack."
40 bpm to this layman indicates not insignificant cardio-vascular stress. :o

Is there any data on how vaping affects heart rate?

reprobate,
Top Bottom