Marijuana and depression and anxiety

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Far as a tolerance break, it depends on the person and how heavy of a user you are. We are all so different, what fits one doesn't fit another. Do what works for you.

Last edited:

biohacker

I often completely just forget to use it some days.

I think this statement is huge. For those of us with bad withdrawal symptoms, i'm certain that we cannot say the same thing. Oh, how I wish though...... and in fact, with progress i'm definitely getting there - sometimes I "forget" until much later in the day, and that's a start.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I too can report the whole forgetting to use thing, although never a whole day...
But sometime I intend on vaping and just get sidetracked and realise I haven't vaped yet, so maybe I could go a day without it... but I don't want to...

This would never have happened in my combusting/mixing with tobacco days...

Nicotene wouldn't let me forget to smoke...

I never thought I'd be able to go a day without it, but maybe now I could...

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I have used cannabis daily since I was 12ish....
I'm very healthy and haven't aged much, I look young, and feel young...
I'm a hard working decent person..

I believe constant cannabis use, teamed with the right lifestyle and diet, can be very beneficial....for me anyway...

So I have no intention of backing off. I vape less than 0.5 most days, and only at night normally...

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Ha fair enough,

As far as tolerance problems, iv always been able to keep that in check by just lowering my daily dose..
Never having a t break...
Just use a little less everyday and you can manage tolerance easy...

Fuck t breaks ...

Chill Dude

I am using about .07g a day except for weekends now and TBs don't don't seem to do much. I am wondering if there is a small enough dose where TBs are no longer necessary?

I never take T breaks anymore as I've found they don't work for me. I used to take two week breaks every so often, but here's what happens. Tolerance seems lower for the first couple days, then I'm back to my regular tolerance level.. It hardly seems worth it to me..

I use about a quarter ounce of bud and a gram of concentrate every month. I don't ever go much above or below that level of consumption. I've been doing this for years with the same high, so I suppose my tolerance is in check..I know others find T Breaks beneficial, but I haven't found the need for them since my consumption and medicated effect stays pretty much constant:tup:

Chill Dude,
Reactions: Bluestang

Kalessin

I use about a quarter ounce of bud and a gram of concentrate every month.
Damn. I go through at least an ounce a month, and that's if I'm doing good usually. I wish I could get through on that. Of course you can't even really get concentrates around here

Chill Dude

Damn. I go through at least an ounce a month, and that's if I'm doing good usually. I wish I could get through on that. Of course you can't even really get concentrates around here

Keep in mind I only consume in the evenings. I'll occasionally use in the daytime on weekends or a music festival or something. If I was using throughout the day I'm sure I could vape up an ounce in a month.

Why can't you get concentrates? Is that because of harsher penalties for concentrates in the southern states? I think I heard someone mention that before.

Chill Dude,
Reactions: Kalessin

Kalessin

Keep in mind I only consume in the evenings. I'll occasionally use in the daytime on weekends or a music festival or something. If I was using throughout the day I'm sure I could vape up an ounce in a month.

Why can't you get concentrates? Is that because of harsher penalties for concentrates in the southern states? I think I heard someone mention that before.
I don't think we have harsher penalties, it's just not much sought after here, I suppose? Or maybe there's a thriving concentrate trade and I just don't know the right people

hibeam

alpha +
My up and down moods are as different as night and day. I have seasonal affective disorder probably linked to my known genetic problem making and getting enough vitamin d. Cannabis gets me motivated enough to do something about my chronic problem. I take d3. But the most effective remedy is to get outside in daylight every morning and spend a couple of hours focused on brightly colored paintings I work on that are in the sunniest spot in my yard. I am most fortunate to have a yard and this morning time. Maybe this kind of remedy can be worked into many different schedules and living arrangements. On a day off, one could set up a paint eisel in a park, walk in the snow on a sunny winter morning, you get the idea. I have tried the light box, but nothing beats real sunlight, and lots more than the average American gets daily. The sunshine really tones down my anxiety too.

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archiv...that-feel-like-clinical-depression-but-arent/

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
Some awesome posts in here, +1 for mental health!

I've been using weed regularly since 2007 (Started shortly after my 16th)

Smoking weed used to be a good thing for me, but then it turned into anxiety. I'd smoke too much. I'd go to parties and I'd be the guy outside the party...smoking everyone up. I'd literally interact with everyone, but just the idea of being cramped and surrounded by all these people would make me anxious. I was much more at home in the "stoner den" of parties growing up. Like at college house parties, I was always the guy in that room with the curtains on the walls :lol:

It was getting to the point though, that I felt that I couldn't really socialize without weed. I'd feel anxious. And then it got to the point where depending on the scenario, smoking weed would make me more anxious.

Depression was a big thing for me too. I shit the bed hard in college. I am not stupid, I graduated within the top 15% of my class (400 kids) and went to Pitt's main campus......that isn't easy to get into too.

I was depressed at college because it wasn't what I expected (this was my OWN fault)
I was depressed at college because of legal matters.
I got depressed after I did poorly, but instead of me ever just picking myself up by the bootstraps, I continually dwelled on how poorly I did until I eventually did so poor I had to drop out. (lasted 2 years total)

Then I was out of college and I was depressed that I squandered such a good opportunity.

I had thought I got my head right. I was still smoking regularly though.

I got readmitted to the school a year or two later, and bombed out again.

I have a serious issue with pushing my problems to the wayside. Out of sight out of mind. I still do to this day, but I've taken steps in the right direction and have started rectifying it.....I should be hopefully back in school in the summer (I need to email some people and get the ball rolling....time seems to slip by....meant to do this all week yet I actually did not do it)

Last year, I stopped smoking and started vaping.....THIS HELPED TREMENDOUSLY.

It got rid of the anxious feelings. It was a more "mellow" onset. I can still get destroyed, but rarely do I feel anxious while high, which IMO became like a 50/50 crapshoot when I was smoking.

Still, even with that, there are times I'd overdue it.

I recommend you guys to keep a log of your usage. I've done it all month, my last day is today actually. Its nice getting an "average" and knowing when I am over doing it.

I vape everyday, but I often plan on vaping and then get distracted so it's not like a "I need it now!" just that I would much prefer to be kind of vaped than sober. Gives me a bit more motivation, but a little too much will just couch lock me.

Go seek out a psychiatrist. Not a therapist. Not a psychologist. Therapists jerked me around and never gave me any help, I had to switch therapists multiple times in a practice because they kept quitting and I still paid $50 every time.......literally never got past the "introduction" meetings.

Psychologist generally gave me good advice, but wouldn't ever prescribe things. It was a soley "pick up your own bootstraps" approach and that actually wasn't good enough for me either.

My psychiatrist, is wholly anti marijuana......other than that, she's a doll. An older, slightly nutty doll (she believes the government is brainwashing us through marijuana and other substances....) but in general she seemed to "get me"

Others had prescribed me anti depression drugs such as Zoloft and Lexxapro. Those didn't help, they didn't make me feel depressed, but they didn't make me feel alive. This may be crude, but my dick literally felt muted on these....just like the rest of my body.

She perscribed me Strattera and diagnosed me with adult ADD. This has been perfect, because it gives me motivation and keeps me on track, but it actually not a stimulant so there is very little risk of you getting "spun up" into an anxiety attack.

It's not perfect, it makes my extremities sweat like crazy and also makes my sex life....strange. You can google, things don't seem timed up so to speak. Supposedly this goes away after you keep on a regiment, but it's gotten to the point where I feel it helped me & I don't need it everyday. Only on certain days where I know I'll need to focus hard....otherwise, its seemed to change my mindset enough that I don't put things on the back burner as often.

She also diagnosed me with Aspergers, which was also awesome. I'm a strange bird, and I've always been a strange bird. There were many times I literally thought I was going crazy because of how "warped" my perception seemed based on what people were telling me. A lot of my other "depression/anxiety" symptoms also can be attributed to this.

It was nice knowing that although I am looking at things differently, it doesn't necessarily mean I'm wrong or crazy, just that it's often an unconventional way of looking at it.

Was great for my parents because it gave them some perspective into me other than thinking me as just some lazy slacking stoner who can't get his act together.

Saw on facebook someone posted some article about the "extroverted introvert" ....I don't usually read those type of things, but this actually resonated with me 100% and is me to a tee. Not exactly pertinent, but it is good knowing how you are IMO.

I got to keep reading this thread, some great posts so far

Mowgrassvapegrass

Only God Can Judge Me
"I vape less than 0.5 most days, and only at night normally"

This is when I was at my most comfort when vaping. I wish I could stay in that comfortable rut of only using that much, mostly in the evenings, but I always seem to get to a point where I overuse. Hopefully becuz of all this advise that will change the next time I start up, if I ever do ;)

Mowgrassvapegrass,

grokit

well-worn member
Some awesome posts in here, +1 for mental health!

I've been using weed regularly since 2007 (Started shortly after my 16th)

Smoking weed used to be a good thing for me, but then it turned into anxiety. I'd smoke too much. I'd go to parties and I'd be the guy outside the party...smoking everyone up. I'd literally interact with everyone, but just the idea of being cramped and surrounded by all these people would make me anxious. I was much more at home in the "stoner den" of parties growing up. Like at college house parties, I was always the guy in that room with the curtains on the walls :lol:

It was getting to the point though, that I felt that I couldn't really socialize without weed. I'd feel anxious. And then it got to the point where depending on the scenario, smoking weed would make me more anxious.

Depression was a big thing for me too. I shit the bed hard in college. I am not stupid, I graduated within the top 15% of my class (400 kids) and went to Pitt's main campus......that isn't easy to get into too.

I was depressed at college because it wasn't what I expected (this was my OWN fault)
I was depressed at college because of legal matters.
I got depressed after I did poorly, but instead of me ever just picking myself up by the bootstraps, I continually dwelled on how poorly I did until I eventually did so poor I had to drop out. (lasted 2 years total)

Then I was out of college and I was depressed that I squandered such a good opportunity.

I had thought I got my head right. I was still smoking regularly though.

I got readmitted to the school a year or two later, and bombed out again.

I have a serious issue with pushing my problems to the wayside. Out of sight out of mind. I still do to this day, but I've taken steps in the right direction and have started rectifying it.....I should be hopefully back in school in the summer (I need to email some people and get the ball rolling....time seems to slip by....meant to do this all week yet I actually did not do it)

Last year, I stopped smoking and started vaping.....THIS HELPED TREMENDOUSLY.

It got rid of the anxious feelings. It was a more "mellow" onset. I can still get destroyed, but rarely do I feel anxious while high, which IMO became like a 50/50 crapshoot when I was smoking.

Still, even with that, there are times I'd overdue it.

I recommend you guys to keep a log of your usage. I've done it all month, my last day is today actually. Its nice getting an "average" and knowing when I am over doing it.

I vape everyday, but I often plan on vaping and then get distracted so it's not like a "I need it now!" just that I would much prefer to be kind of vaped than sober. Gives me a bit more motivation, but a little too much will just couch lock me.

Go seek out a psychiatrist. Not a therapist. Not a psychologist. Therapists jerked me around and never gave me any help, I had to switch therapists multiple times in a practice because they kept quitting and I still paid $50 every time.......literally never got past the "introduction" meetings.

Psychologist generally gave me good advice, but wouldn't ever prescribe things. It was a soley "pick up your own bootstraps" approach and that actually wasn't good enough for me either.

My psychiatrist, is wholly anti marijuana......other than that, she's a doll. An older, slightly nutty doll (she believes the government is brainwashing us through marijuana and other substances....) but in general she seemed to "get me"

Others had prescribed me anti depression drugs such as Zoloft and Lexxapro. Those didn't help, they didn't make me feel depressed, but they didn't make me feel alive. This may be crude, but my dick literally felt muted on these....just like the rest of my body.

She perscribed me Strattera and diagnosed me with adult ADD. This has been perfect, because it gives me motivation and keeps me on track, but it actually not a stimulant so there is very little risk of you getting "spun up" into an anxiety attack.

It's not perfect, it makes my extremities sweat like crazy and also makes my sex life....strange. You can google, things don't seem timed up so to speak. Supposedly this goes away after you keep on a regiment, but it's gotten to the point where I feel it helped me & I don't need it everyday. Only on certain days where I know I'll need to focus hard....otherwise, its seemed to change my mindset enough that I don't put things on the back burner as often.

She also diagnosed me with Aspergers, which was also awesome. I'm a strange bird, and I've always been a strange bird. There were many times I literally thought I was going crazy because of how "warped" my perception seemed based on what people were telling me. A lot of my other "depression/anxiety" symptoms also can be attributed to this.

It was nice knowing that although I am looking at things differently, it doesn't necessarily mean I'm wrong or crazy, just that it's often an unconventional way of looking at it.

Was great for my parents because it gave them some perspective into me other than thinking me as just some lazy slacking stoner who can't get his act together.

Saw on facebook someone posted some article about the "extroverted introvert" ....I don't usually read those type of things, but this actually resonated with me 100% and is me to a tee. Not exactly pertinent, but it is good knowing how you are IMO.

I got to keep reading this thread, some great posts so far
I like your psychiatrist quite a bit, good find :tup:
I also liked reading about how strattera worked out for you, that's the only re-uptake inhibitor that interests me at this point. I am also adult add, and had tried prozac many years ago; it wasn't for me.

Slow Draw McGraw

Company Rep
When I Vape and get anxious, 95% time it's because I don't want to get caught/the legality of it. Ive been thinking about this alot lately, and that's what is causing alot of it. Also, I changed my diet and have noticed mental changes. Very positive changes. I'm able to bounce back quicker from being upset. Alot of my problems are food related in addition to bowel problems.

It may seem like MJ is the issue to most but, I have friends that said MJ makes them think too much about problems and that makes them get worked up. If those 'problems' weren't there in the first place would they still get worked up? That's the question.
The #1 thing is how you live your life. I agree with others who have said that.

Some people drink alcohol and get happy, and some people get angry and destructive. Everyone responds differently than others to certain things.

Some people can drink 20 beers and have a stone face and be calm and some people can drink 3 beers and be balls to the walls.
My suggestion, get in 'tune' with your mind and body and the rest will follow.
I should probably take my own advice.:lol:

shredder

Just two things guys/gals.

One, the setting can influence the outcome. Such as vaping after a happy event or in good company vrs the other extreme. Not that the user can do much about that, just saying.

Two, terpenes have an enormous effect on outcomes. Forgive me but I don't recall any posts in this thread about terpenes. A quick Google search is well worth it. Some terps will be uplifting and some not. The effects are as varied as the herb itself

shredder,
Reactions: vapen00b

Wizsteve

One has to remember that potency may vary greatly from bud to bud so if it takes more some nights its ok most likely it's not you it's the pot. You just need more and go ahead enjoy this stuff taste great.

Wizsteve,
Reactions: shredder

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
Great thread. Thanks f sharing everyone. Keep this alive, it's very important.
I was on my way to overdoing it...and just see it wrong as a "ah, it should be ok, everyone over here does it. " and I'm a light weight. But I didn't feel so good after some days, weeks,,,getting lazy and a bad consciousness...passive, pushing only the probs away. Generally being not satisfied with anything, tending to be more anxious, thinking in negative directions, doubting... All that stuff.
Took a break for almost a week and feeling very good. Actually yesterday when reading all this it opened my eyes and mind. Big thank you to everyone for sharing the love. :peace:

One more thing: try to find good, positive, uplifting music. It's one of the most powerful things and can energetize you and shift your perspective to a positive view... And even if it's just a small kickstart!

Mowgrassvapegrass

Only God Can Judge Me
Good thinking vapen, music does more to our phsyke then I think we realize.. and studies are coming in proving that. Sometimes just an old nostalgic uplifting song can change your whole week :) for me there is a lot of 2pac songs that get me where I need to be, but there's also a lot of his music that makes you wanna fight lol best of both worlds..I'm glad this threas helped you, to be honest it was a selfish thread at the time, I was very desperate for help and I deffinitly found it here, glad that this thread will help people that were getting to be in my situation.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Good thinking vapen, music does more to our phsyke then I think we realize.. and studies are coming in proving that. Sometimes just an old nostalgic uplifting song can change your whole week :) for me there is a lot of 2pac songs that get me where I need to be, but there's also a lot of his music that makes you wanna fight lol best of both worlds..I'm glad this threas helped you, to be honest it was a selfish thread at the time, I was very desperate for help and I deffinitly found it here, glad that this thread will help people that were getting to be in my situation.
I love what you wrote!

I'm a brother from another Mother!

SNOOP DOG, 2 PAC, WIZ, BOB MARLEY, JIMMY HENDRICKS, PAGE, BOWIE, WILLY

I will stop with my short list of FAVORITES.

MUSIC & CANNABIS = GREAT PAIR = DON'T WORRY!

BE HAPPY!

Kahuna Cowboy

Very interesting thread.

I've been dealing with issues with cannabis lately myself. Chasing deeper highs to the point I'm vegetative. Anxiety and depression issues, I honestly thought I was losing my mind. I stopped smoking for 5 days, it was tough, but my head cleared and I realized it was indeed the cannabis.

Even knowing that I'm having a hard time stopping. I dont blame the cannabis, more as I blame it's interaction inside me it causes. Obviously, many millions served and just fine.

Cardiox

I am on like a month break at this point and tbh, I have the same old anxieties and crazy OCD behaviors I used to. I always find something good in my day anyway, I do not NEED to use cannabis. The thing is,that for people like me who antidepressants made very unlevel and unhappy (go figure), cannabis is the only relief. Moderation has to be the key or it is not a good thing for me. Like I said earlier, cannabis calms me down in ways very subtlety for days after even using it. It can't be about getting high ALWAYS. It just simply takes serious discipline and moderation at first. It will become second nature. Remember, using cannabis at first was always an infrequent thing for most. Abusing the plant is a learned behavior, as will be using it moderately.

Top Bottom