marcuss' yellow stuff thread (Extra Virgin Vape-Oil)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
sorry if im asking a question that already been answered, but can isopropyl alcohol be safely used to clean out whips? i read through this thread some time ago and only remember it being used to clean glass, and im not sure if it would somehow degrade the whip... i know acetone would, but not sure about alcohol

Acolyte of Zinglon,

DigitalDavinci

Vapohaulic
AofZ...I think in post #93 stickstones stated he put the hose in. I'm sure he can better speak on the matter, but I cleaned my whip to my old vape to get any goodies out durring my dry times recently. I used iso on my tubeing, and my glass. It works great. It has been 3 days, and my tubing is the same consistancy it was before. Didn't get anything after only 2 1/2 weeks of use, but it's a clean whip for a future vape. I was thinking of adapting it to the mouth peice for my PD...???

Definetly get a second opinion. I don't have any facts to back my useage of iso up besides my own cleaning session.

DD

DigitalDavinci,

max

Out to lunch
You can use ISO on tubing, as long as you clean with hot water afterwards. Another good way to clean out residue (I like this better than ISO) is to find a screw that's a tight fit for the head, tie a strong string to the thread and pull the screw through, using the head as a scraper to pull out the condensed vapor.

max,

DigitalDavinci

Vapohaulic
I found it was difficult to thread the tube with fishing line (I used a fishing weight at first before the iso), so I would use a reasonable guage wire if you try the screw idea. Also I was thinking that a dowl at the right width would push through with the good stuff on the end. Never got to try it though. Just a suggestion.

DD

DigitalDavinci,

Beezleb

When I use iso alcohol to clean it I use a glass pie plate as it easier to scrape up after the iso evaps. I typically just scrape that good stuff out of the wand though and use it a great booster.

To scrape the tube I get a weak wire close hanger and straighten it out and make a fat end by bending it and pulling that through the tube and twisting it in circles. Clean off the wire when done but I like the idea of the pulling the screw and might try that next but might try it using a button rather than a screw. I have not had any issue with the wire hanger breaking the tubing but it has been a concern of mine.

I find the stuff from the wand is better than the stuff from the tube but its all good.

Beezleb,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I clenaed my stuff with the iso...tubing included, and I will say this about cleaning all the stuff for the E.

I rinsed it all really well afterwards and still got some alcohol fumes coming through on the first several uses afterward. As marcuss or max stated before, the tubing turns white but gets clear again later with use. I don't know if the iso was hiding in the tubing or the bowl, but it was nasty.

stickstones,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
running watre for a couple minutes should get rid of the iso pretty well... whats that about the tubing turning white?

Acolyte of Zinglon,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
The tubing I've used (7th floor, typical clear 'vinyl' stuff) turns opaque white when you leave it in water.

Personally I wouldn't soak it in iso but maybe I'm just :tinfoil: about stuff leeching out a la bisphenol a.

vtac,

marcuss

above the clouds
a 15 min soak time in iso and a super hot water rinse is what i do prefer for vinil tubing...it become white for a while then turn clean and trasparent again!
If some resins mixed with iso still remain in the tubing you will smell that iso fumes...try again!

marcuss,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Decided to break out the camera and make some yellow stuff for marcuss. :D

2009-01-03 06:00

Oh, you're so dirty.

06:22

Plastic wrap and an elastic to seal one end, thumb on the other (better ideas welcome). 99% isopropyl, shake shake shake. It was really coated so I had to scrape some spots.

06:45

Dumped into a small glass bowl.

07:00

It's cool, you can see all the tiny particles moving and forming an island. Remove these fibrous plant particles, the thrill is gone.

I'm impatient so I used a triple boiler to evaporate the alcohol more quickly (put the glass bowl in a bigger bowl with a little water in it and put that bowl in a pot with a little water on super low heat, don't get water in the main bowl). Be very careful, one spark and it's up in smoke. A heating pad would be easier and safer.

Then placed in front of a dehumidifier for 24 hours.

2009-01-04 05:00

Right here I'm kicking myself for being too lazy to properly filter out all the plant matter with a screen.

2009-01-06 14:41

At this point most of the alcohol is gone, but scraping it up, it's still quite runny... still a ways to go. I use a small torch and heat the resin so it drips off the razor back into the dish and repeat this a bunch of times to help remove the remaining alcohol. Be careful, if there's still too much alcohol in there you could have a fire and lose everything... don't get too close with the torch.

15:10

18:00

After letting it cool from the torch it's not runny anymore. Scrape it up one last time and use the torch to drip it into a clean dish. A small spoon is good for getting the stuff on the sides. I let it 'cure' for another week or so.

Not sure how much I ended up with, a gram maybe. Whatever's in that dish minus a bunch of these:

It's really sticky stuff, hard to deal with. The best way I've found is to scoop a little bit on a pin (heat gently so it all forms one blob on the end of the pin) and roll it in ground herb. Once it's covered in herb you can transfer it to your vaporizer bowl. I really like it in the PD... small layer of herb on the bottom and honey herb ball on top. :ko: :whoa: :freak:

Sure beats pipe resin.

vtac,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Couple extra pics.

The plant matter I did remove (spooned out). Still a little resin in there, one of my disgusting smoker friends will like it. Maybe the same jerk who vaped a bunch of shitty weed in my wand with a broken screen and got most of it down there in the first place. :lol:

Little melted butter to salvage anything left in the original bowl. Hardened in the fridge. Waste not!

vtac,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Nice, vtac! My one and only try at this with the E tubing didn't go too well. You've got skills, bro!

stickstones,

HoneyAir

When I tried to iso-wash my wand on my old vape, the results were foul tasting... got me high but yuck.

Turned out that because I didn't use a coffee filter to remove the random plant material that had made it through the screen, it most likely released a lot of untasty stuff as this plant material sat and sat in the slowly drying alcohol at the bottom of the glass dish.

The next time I ever tried to wash and then use a coffee filter to strain out any plant material within 2 minutes, the results were far better and pure. No more yuck... and definitely far better than pipe resin!

HoneyAir,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I like the cinnamon taste that wand hash produces..... is that what you were talking about HoneyAir?

vtac,

Excellent pictures! That one after it has cured makes it look rock hard like a piece of candy! :ko: That wand was so fucking resiny, christ. Good stuff dude.

Have you tried smoking it? I know.... blasphemy! :lol: Really though, the last of my wand hash I used through a new bong with ice and it was excellent. Super clean burn and surprisingly tasty. I was totally knocked out the rest of the day.

SpiralArchitect,

youdontknowme

If only I could let my whip build up that much resin.... I usually clean it every 4 or 5 days. Yeah, I know, maybe its a little OCD, but I like a super clean piece, especially the screen. It's just so easy to do, especially if you take the tube off the glass part. 90 seconds tops, for the whole operation. Epsom salt and 70% iso, mad cheap and works 100% effectively... shit looks newer than a fresh pair of Jordans.

youdontknowme,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
SpiralArchitect said:
Have you tried smoking it?
:suspicious:

<--non smoker :D No desire to try it either since it vapes up so well. Bad memories of pipe resin maybe. :goat:

Just had that wand butter on a sesame bagel. Not bad! :lol:

vtac,

HoneyAir

SpiralArchitect said:
I like the cinnamon taste that wand hash produces..... is that what you were talking about HoneyAir?
If you mean what it tasted like when I didn't filter anything out and let it sit for days in drying alcohol, it tasted fucking CHEMICAL. Absolutely terrible taste... almost worse than pipe resin. Stunk up my whip when I tried it...

The filtered stuff that I made later is like dark molasses... and yes, a heavenly smell that definitely screams "THC!"...

Someone else said that when plant matter is left in alcohol past several minutes the chlorophyll and other undesirables leach out... which is why people 'quick wash' with alcohol then immediately filter it afterwards.

HoneyAir,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
I agree it's desirable to thoroughly filter out the plant matter. But you can see how sloppy I was and no 'chemical' taste here.

Perhaps there was something else 'in the mix' when you had that problem, HoneyAir?

vtac,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Non-smoker? Why do you have rolling papers covered in the stuff? :lol:

HoneyAir,

I'm not sure what to say. Everytime I have done an iso wash, be it with with wandhash, cleaning my grinder, or what have you, it's always turned out fine. I let it sit out over night and have a fan running over it, sometimes near some heat. Maybe all the alcohol didn't evaporate?

SpiralArchitect,

WeDontThink

Ive had the Extreme for a month or so now and its amazing. I noticed a clearish honey like resin building up in the glass elbow pieces. whats the best way to clean this out and smoke it? i want to use the vaporizer but i dont want it to melt through the screen and onto the heating element... should i use qtips to clean it with rubbing alcohol and just maybe cut off the cotton end and put those qtips directly in the cyclone bowl? i think i read somone mentioning cotton for oil or resin on here once. thanks a lot , from a vape newbie!

( ps. i just cooked banana bread with a months worth of vaped herbs..... amazing, almost to poweful, only one slice next time........and not at work!!!:o:o

WeDontThink,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom