Making shatter.. what am i doing wrong?

herbivore21

Hey partner been working nonstop and will be a master of bho, ISO, and rosin soon! Atleast I like to think so lol anyways I have been purging on Pyrex as suggested and it has been working well! Wanted to ask you how you make your rosin? I'm using hair iron but you mentioned I can build a rosin press.? I've heard of people using shirt presses but am not sure. Also have read about people not having good output with larger quantities in a press but would assume that's due to material...
You can get rosin plates for a vise or a hydraulic or pneumatic press. Be sure to get a quality press. Check out the rosin thread in the concentrates section here for advise since my buddy who made my plates no longer sells them anymore. :)

The reason shirt presses don't work well is a lack of pressure. You need to squish harder than a t-shirt press can squish. I tend to use 2000psi to squish flower, between 160-220f.

If you wanna squish large quantities, you NEED a hydraulic or pneumatic press. You need very high pressure and very big plates. You also will probably need something to pre-squish with :2c:

Are you pressing large scale or just personal?

herbivore21,

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
Hey partner been working nonstop and will be a master of bho, ISO, and rosin soon! Atleast I like to think so lol anyways I have been purging on Pyrex as suggested and it has been working well! Wanted to ask you how you make your rosin? I'm using hair iron but you mentioned I can build a rosin press.? I've heard of people using shirt presses but am not sure. Also have read about people not having good output with larger quantities in a press but would assume that's due to material...
I built a rosin press a while back using 304 ss, 2.5" x 6" plates (should've used 316 as 304 is a bitch to drill and tap) and a Dake B-10 press before there were so many options for plates out. Now you can just get the pre-built plates all over the internet from different manufacturers but they charge you an arm and a leg. The finishing piece for my press will be an electric 10 ton hydraulic pump which will set the cost of my entire press just over a grand so diy is WAY cheaper ... just gotta put in the time.

I've been using a Rosin Evolution pre-press and their bags @ 10 tons of pressure between 180 and 220 F with amazing results. My most recent squish was 9.3 grams of durango og flower squished @ 10 tons of pressure @ 220 F for 45 seconds which yielded 2.1 grams of fairly stable, light amber rosin.

Okay
You can get rosin plates for a vise or a hydraulic or pneumatic press. Be sure to get a quality press. Check out the rosin thread in the concentrates section here for advise since my buddy who made my plates no longer sells them anymore. :)

The reason shirt presses don't work well is a lack of pressure. You need to squish harder than a t-shirt press can squish. I tend to use 2000psi to squish flower, between 160-220f.

If you wanna squish large quantities, you NEED a hydraulic or pneumatic press. You need very high pressure and very big plates. You also will probably need something to pre-squish with :2c:

Are you pressing large scale or just personal?

so I'm curious do you have a hydraulic press or pneumatic press?
Yes that makes sense lol don't worry it didn't cross my mind to use a shirt press just what I read.. Right now I'm just doing personnel at the moment with hair iron and vise grips but am researching presses online. I've noticed hydraulic presses are more reasonable than pneumatic but what would you recommend?

I built a rosin press a while back using 304 ss, 2.5" x 6" plates (should've used 316 as 304 is a bitch to drill and tap) and a Dake B-10 press before there were so many options for plates out. Now you can just get the pre-built plates all over the internet from different manufacturers but they charge you an arm and a leg. The finishing piece for my press will be an electric 10 ton hydraulic pump which will set the cost of my entire press just over a grand so diy is WAY cheaper ... just gotta put in the time.

I've been using a Rosin Evolution pre-press and their bags @ 10 tons of pressure between 180 and 220 F with amazing results. My most recent squish was 9.3 grams of durango og flower squished @ 10 tons of pressure @ 220 F for 45 seconds which yielded 2.1 grams of fairly stable, light amber rosin.

Last edited:
Valleydabanomics209,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Not necessary bro he was just asking for assistance so he can make good medicine. Who are you? Come to stockton! Be positive on this forum or not at all. There will always be a new generation of hash chefs. You don't have to respect them but disrespect is uncalled for. I really hope you weren't directing that comment to me.
The post you quoted is 8 months old, so I seriously doubt that the comment was directed to you.

If you feel a post is against the rules, please use the report feature at the bottom of each post and do not respond publicly. Also I had to merge three back-to-back posts above so please check your PM inbox for instructions on how to avoid that. ;)

:peace:

Stu,

Themilkman

Secondly are you measuring the pressure in the chamber? It is crucial to use a gauge to ensure that you are creating the right relative pressure in the chamber. Vac purging is not as simple as connecting a vacuum pump to a chamber and just turning it on for a while and waiting til the material looks done. This could easily lead to serious over purging or could the slowest, longest purge you've ever tried.

I was just getting into BHO shatter making and am having trouble achieving a full purge with my setup, was looking on the forum and came across the advice you were dishing out , was hoping you were still active and could help me out on my setup.

I have a small chamber I built with an oven pot that I made a silicone gasket for that works great to seal against the chamber lid which is 1 in thick plexiglass, that has a three way connector with ball valve to the pump to shut off connection to vacuum so I don’t pull gasses/ oil back into the chamber when I shut pump off ( I use a 2.5 cfm Michelin refrigerant recovery pump) and a ball valve on the other side of the connector to let air back onto the chamber. I connected a gauge to then line to check or the vacuum pulled the chamber down and it gets me to 29.9 in a few minutes no prob , but I cannot shut off the valves and hold that pressure in chamber without vacuum on . Decent DIY build I thought.

Anyway I have achieved shatter and crumble but the runs always seem to have a harsh butaney taste to them whether I run trim or shake or top nug.

As stated my solvent is butane, I use 11x,
And bought some 70% butane 30% propane cans to use too as I heard good things on a couple posts, any help / advice on achieving a good smokable run would be greatly appreciated! @herbivore21

Themilkman,

Deleted Member 1643

Sadly, @herbivore21 hasn't been seen around these parts in some time.:cry:

I connected a gauge to then line to check or the vacuum pulled the chamber down and it gets me to 29.9 in a few minutes no prob , but I cannot shut off the valves and hold that pressure in chamber without vacuum on.

Your DIY chamber sounds fine, maybe you just have a leak. Have you tried disassembling and reassembling with extra care? A similar chamber from BVV had a leak, and they replaced it without question because they know leaks happen to the best of us.

Anyway I have achieved shatter and crumble but the runs always seem to have a harsh butaney taste to them whether I run trim or shake or top nug

In addition to fixing your chamber, you might consider winterizing to improve flavor and quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deleted Member 1643,

Themilkman

Sadly, @herbivore21 hasn't been seen around these parts in some time.:cry:

Your DIY chamber sounds fine, maybe you just have a leak. Have you tried disassembling and reassembling with extra care? A similar chamber from BVV had a leak, and they replaced it without question because they know leaks happen to the best of us.

In addition to fixing your chamber, you might consider winterizing to improve flavor and quality.

Thank you , yes I had re assembled it once , if there’s a leak it has to be where I connected my valve system to the Pyrex, need a good idea on how to keep that area leak free

Also I’d love to winterize, I started out making alcohol based extractions but where I’m at there is no high proof non denatured alcohol easily available so I have to distill from corn alcohol which is a pain ...sorry for the rant but yeah I’m gonna winterize after I find that supposed leak

Also how do you recommend I go about finding that leak other than using nitrogen or something like that

Themilkman,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Deleted Member 1643

Come to think of it, BVV did first instruct to use soapy water, but it didn't work, so it was forgotten. Worth a try.

Last edited:
Deleted Member 1643,
Top Bottom