Making oil from ABV using alcohol - UK

For various reasons I am not keen on edibles, I was hoping to try an alcohol ABV extraction that would result in some nice oil. However I do not want to use ISO and it is hard to obtain affordable alcohol with a really high content in the UK. Would it be possible to use Vodka if it was left to soak for longer? Would it leave behind material in the oil that would make it unsuitable for vaporising?

Budley Moore,
Reactions: sativasam

puddleglum

I can't get 190 proof where I live, either, but I find 151 proof works just fine for making tincture. (I'm assuming "oil" is UK slang for "tincture"?) But you are a little confused: alcohol tincture isn't used in a vaporizer, you just put a few drops in your mouth or add it to a beverage.

Here is the best discussion I've found on the topic. I follow this guy's recipes with great results (using 151 proof): http://forum.grasscity.com/incredib...5-another-tincture-thread-try-youll-like.html

puddleglum

If it is possible to vaporize ethanol extracts (I doubt it due to sugar content, but I've honestly never tried it) then I'm sure the mega thread in my link above will have trustworthy instructions. :)

puddleglum,

dilvish

in hypno-vision
after evaporating the vodka out of the tincture, you should be left with a clean oil. i've heard of people using "polish vodka" for this purpose, but i'm not sure what the advantages may be. go with the highest proof available, and it'll turn out fine.

treeman

I personally would probably not want to use vodka, if it was just ethanol and water that would be fine IMO, a long evaporation time but probably all good, but I reckon vodka has other stuff left over from when it was a potato. This is speculation, if you found some sort of analysis that showed vodka to be clean that would be fine.
I'm also in the Uk and getting high proof ethanol has proved difficult, I have been able to get some from student friends who work in laboratories but its not an option everyone has.

I made some nice vapable stuff a few years ago out of vaped weed by water curing it for a week, then drying it out and doing an ISO extraction. Nowadays I'd probably go the butane route though. I don't use cannabis any more but I'd probably do some AVB extract, I found the effects incredibly soothing.

I don't have a vac purge so I get why you wouldn't want to use ISO or butane but IDK, I've always seen jakie types inhaling butane on street corners to get high, I figure that the tiny amount in my 0.4 of heat purged oil probably isn't overly detrimental to my overall health. . . I totally understand why many people wouldn't agree.

treeman,
Reactions: dilvish

sickmanfraud

I have been making tincture for close to 3 years following the thread that @puddlegum mentioned above.

Over at grasscity we concluded that poteen was available in the UK and would work best if someone was able to make dry ice hash out of their medicine.

sickmanfraud,
Reactions: Izan
does it need to be the 90%, that is around £50 for a 50cl bottle! ouch. Wonder if anyone has tried it...

Budley Moore,

Ricardo

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum but I put "tincture" in the search box and this one came up....
A friend made a batch of tincture using some sort of schnapps and gave me a jar. He maintains the alcohol has practically evaporated but it still smells and tastes pretty strong. I like the relaxing and sedative effect but I don't (mustn't) drink. Wouldn't it be ironic if cannabis proved to be a gateway drug for alcohol?
Also, is it normal for my face to flush after using tincture? I should say I'm using the dropper from a Bachs Rescue Remedy bottle so the volume consumed is tiny. Would it also produce red-eye effect? Forgive my ignorance and good luck with your experiments :peace:

Ricardo,

dilvish

in hypno-vision
Hi, not sure if this is the right forum but I put "tincture" in the search box and this one came up....
A friend made a batch of tincture using some sort of schnapps and gave me a jar. He maintains the alcohol has practically evaporated but it still smells and tastes pretty strong. I like the relaxing and sedative effect but I don't (mustn't) drink. Wouldn't it be ironic if cannabis proved to be a gateway drug for alcohol?
Also, is it normal for my face to flush after using tincture? I should say I'm using the dropper from a Bachs Rescue Remedy bottle so the volume consumed is tiny. Would it also produce red-eye effect? Forgive my ignorance and good luck with your experiments :peace:

a tincture is a solution in alcohol, so if what you're taking is a tincture, and if you mustn't drink at all, then you may want to stop.
the facial flushing is probably from the alcohol. red eyes are normal with cannabis taken by any method. good luck man!

dilvish,
Reactions: Ricardo

Monsoon

For various reasons I am not keen on edibles, I was hoping to try an alcohol ABV extraction that would result in some nice oil. However I do not want to use ISO and it is hard to obtain affordable alcohol with a really high content in the UK. Would it be possible to use Vodka if it was left to soak for longer? Would it leave behind material in the oil that would make it unsuitable for vaporising?

Given your available options, I would look into getting a rosin pressing setup instead of bothering with alcohol.

Nok21

Given your available options, I would look into getting a rosin pressing setup instead of bothering with alcohol.

I second this, and also highly recommend it considering your situation. In my country, I have access to both types of solvent- Iso and Ethanol.

EDIT: Is there a reason you don't want to use ISO, or is it just really expensive where you live?

I've tried QWISO, QWET, Tane', you name it, and I find the Rosin method yields the most concentrated & flavorful oil out of the "at home" methods I've tried (tane' got close, but i dont like the hazards nor the chemicals). I'm pretty sure others would agree with me when I say I'd rather have properly made Rosin over BHO any day. Zero solvents/zero mystery chemicals.

It is also the least dangerous (You could burn your hand, maybe), and is TOTALLY solvent free. It also leaves you with these convenient little "pucks" you can cook with, most of the time the pucks are about 2x as strong as abv IME.

Looking up "Bach's Rescue Remedy", I cannot find a picture of the dropper. I assume it holds about 1ml of liquid? I do like the extra-long dropper, though. Helps you get that last ML of tincture!!

It is very normal for facial flushing when using a tincture straight/by itself, especially without adding a few drops to a beverage as a mixer as tinctures typically use 151-proof alcohol and above (I.E 75.5% to 95% Alcohol by Volume). It sounds like yours was probably 80-proof schnapps?

Also, you don't want ALL the alcohol to evaporate as that is the carrier for your actives.

How potent is it? Do you need multiple droppers full or do you just need individual drops?

Nok21,
Reactions: brainiac
I do not want to use ISO thanks. Only regular alcohol. I am currently using 95% spirytus for soaking gauzes in and I plan to clean the oil off the vape glass with it too. Eventually when there is enough I will evaporate what is left.

I had also intended to use it on the ABV, but it is expensive so this is not a great option. Still I was mostly curious to see how much extractable THC is left over as I'm fairly new to vaporizing.

The rosin method looks amazing, when I saw it I assumed the yield couldn't compete with solvents but I am shocked to see it may be the most efficient extraction at my disposal, especially with ABV. I had assumed ABV would be a lot harder to use the rosin method on.

I am lost though, so many choices. Is the easiest way to use hair straighteners and parchment paper?

Budley Moore,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Perhaps @Vitolo could step in here and verify what I'm posting.... but I was under the impression that extractions made from alcohol were for ingestion and those made from ISO for vaping.

I do know you should NEVER ingest an extraction made with ISO. But I'm not positive on vaping an extraction made with alcohol. I believe you cannot because of the sugar.

Vito is this right?

momofthegoons,
I researched it and saw people used Everclear instead of ISO, I then found Spirytus (95% alcohol) which someone suggested was the equivalent in Europe.

Keen to hear if anyone has actually used it themselves otherwise it is a bit of a gamble.

Budley Moore,
Reactions: sativasam

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Will take longer to evaporate out the water and other additives.

Just buy iso 99.9

kellya86,

sativasam

NO SMOKING
Perhaps @Vitolo could step in here and verify what I'm posting.... but I was under the impression that extractions made from alcohol were for ingestion and those made from ISO for vaping.

I do know you should NEVER ingest an extraction made with ISO. But I'm not positive on vaping an extraction made with alcohol. I believe you cannot because of the sugar.

Vito is this right?
would love to hear more on this

@Budley Moore, do you have a maplin near you. They sell high quality 99.9%iso? 15 quid per liter.
Maplins have it. In the customer questions below, it is revealed that it is minimum 97% the other 3% are "impurities left over during the manufacturing processes". Ive asked for a data sheet.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/isopropyl-alcohol-1-litre-re71n?gclid=COW0nZa1r8kCFUKeGwodE60KsQ

mod note: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
sativasam,

Gazaam

When you use alcohol, you extract a lot of stuff of no pharmaceutical value, including chlorophyll. It's fine if you want to eat it, but if you want to vape it, it will be pretty harsh. Best technique : after ethanol extraction, add a small amount 8f some readily obtainable bentonite bleaching clay, or something like Benton items, and that will grab out all the chlorophyll.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=275280

The clay will turn black and the etoh solution will be light brown. Then you should further purify it by "winterization". This removes all the wax and related components that have no pharmaceutical value. First boil off the alcohol fully (I use a small Teflon coated fry pan). Then add about ten times the weight of the remaining concentrate (a thick dark oil) in ethanol. Heat gently until fully dissolved. Then put the alcohol solution in a tall thin glass and freeze it for 48 hours. When you take it out of the freezer, there will be an off-white sludge at the bottom of the glass. Use a paper towel made into a cone, and place it in a funnel and pour off the winterized solution into the funnel. Save this filtrate. If you like you can put the remaining sludge in some more alcohol and re-freeze it and refilter the result to extract any remaining cannabinoids. Alternately, you can dump the sludge into the first filtration filter, and when only the sludge is left, you can rinse it by pouring through some additional alcohol that has been cooled in the freezer. Then you take the filtrate liquid, and put it into a small Teflon coated fry pan and carefully boil off the alcohol. When no more bubbles come out, pour the remaining liquid onto parchment paper and let it cool. The resultant resin is cannabinoid rich and highly vapable. This process is a bit of a pain in the ass, but well worth it if you want a pure, comfortable vapor as an end result.

MileHighHuman

When you use alcohol, you extract a lot of stuff of no pharmaceutical value, including chlorophyll. It's fine if you want to eat it, but if you want to vape it, it will be pretty harsh. Best technique : after ethanol extraction, add a small amount 8f some readily obtainable bentonite bleaching clay, or something like Benton items, and that will grab out all the chlorophyll.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=275280

The clay will turn black and the etoh solution will be light brown. Then you should further purify it by "winterization". This removes all the wax and related components that have no pharmaceutical value. First boil off the alcohol fully (I use a small Teflon coated fry pan). Then add about ten times the weight of the remaining concentrate (a thick dark oil) in ethanol. Heat gently until fully dissolved. Then put the alcohol solution in a tall thin glass and freeze it for 48 hours. When you take it out of the freezer, there will be an off-white sludge at the bottom of the glass. Use a paper towel made into a cone, and place it in a funnel and pour off the winterized solution into the funnel. Save this filtrate. If you like you can put the remaining sludge in some more alcohol and re-freeze it and refilter the result to extract any remaining cannabinoids. Alternately, you can dump the sludge into the first filtration filter, and when only the sludge is left, you can rinse it by pouring through some additional alcohol that has been cooled in the freezer. Then you take the filtrate liquid, and put it into a small Teflon coated fry pan and carefully boil off the alcohol. When no more bubbles come out, pour the remaining liquid onto parchment paper and let it cool. The resultant resin is cannabinoid rich and highly vapable. This process is a bit of a pain in the ass, but well worth it if you want a pure, comfortable vapor as an end result.

Great post. Does sound difficult to turn into oil, but some things take work.

Do you know how much Everclear should be used to extract 1 ounce of ABV?

I feel drinking a shot or so of it would be much easier for me than evaporating into oil.

MileHighHuman,

Gazaam

Unfortunately I do not know. Everclear is way up there in its proof rating, so you would not need too much. Just enough to cover the finely ground ABV. Seal it up in a jar and let it sit for 3-5 days, shaking it vigorously a couple of times a day, and then filter it through a coffee filter. If you want a really compkete extraction you could then soak the ABV again in fresh Everclear and combine the two batches. I presume you are familiar with Everclear. It will burn the hell out of your mouth and esophagus, so you'd want to take as small an amount of it as possible. Therefore you might want to boil off as much of it as possible to make the final tincture. Be sure to do so using electric heat in a very well ventilated area, otherwise it could explode. I am guessing that being 25 feet up on the air is not the high you had in mind. I :)

kellya86

Herb gardener...
When you use alcohol, you extract a lot of stuff of no pharmaceutical value, including chlorophyll. It's fine if you want to eat it, but if you want to vape it, it will be pretty harsh.

By winterising everything first, and using properly cured product, qwiso extraction can work brilliantly....
Certainly not harsh....
I used to get very tasty, very strong results...
Nothing to indicate that it's full of chlorophyll...
It's all about that first quick wash...

And a good purge....

As for avb, is there any chlorophyll left there anyway...????

kellya86,
Top Bottom