Making Draw Tubes... Flower Quince?

TommyDee

Vaporitor
It is the little things that make this process interesting. I am now convinced that wet-working this wood is for very specialized work. My 5-1/4" long daily driver had its first honey-clog. That just tickles me to no end to have reached this milestone. This stem, due to its shape, is warped. Yet, when spinning it, it is just a little wobble. You'd know it was -off- but not exactly know why. Just one of its many nuanced personalities.

Another aspect that I will change in this process is when to make the receiving hole for the VC. I've been doing this in the green along with the 5/32" through hole but somewhat haphazardly knowing I will provide truing cuts with the found - cool-tool that hand-reams the VC port very nicely. Having this pre-drilled helps with making the blank for extra turning torque while stripping the bark layers and getting a reasonably true running cylinder to the bore. Running only on centers w/ friction drive makes for some work to get it round. I might opt for a shallower counter-bore to be trimmed before making the official VC port after curing for a week. Not all blanks can be made fully cylindrical. For those, I turn to remove 80% of the sub-surface. And remaining bark pulp is removed. I am aware that the stress profile will be slightly different while curing, but so far, the cured stems are very predictable. If the difference in full diameters is too great, I can cure with steps in the diameters also. The remaining diameters are based on the lack of precision by which I can core the raw stalks by hand and sight.

With these changes in mind, I am also able to improve the post cure process. First things first, re-true the blank. I run the 5/32" drill-bit back through the center. Now, running between center, I need to remove any warp. Typically this is well under a millimeter. With a cylinder true to the bore, I can use the 3-jaw chuck to face and finish the hole for the mouthpiece; swap ends and face the VC-port and drill the hole. I got a short 8mm drill-bit for the VC port. When freshly cut it fits perfectly on the 5/16" mandrel in the collet. I am drilling 6.5mm deep at the shoulder of the bit. This method limits the blank length but improves alignment significantly. I might have to make a super-short 8mm drill-bit for very long stems. I do have a bed-length limitation but the setup is becoming more defined as I move forward. All the critical elements are now more manageable.

More importantly, I just finished 2 stems that were sanded from a cylinder rather than rough shaping. These were both cured and re-trued. Curing doesn't seem to affect the sand-to-form process. Most of the shaping is done with 100 and 180 grit. 240 to force the details, and finished off with 320, 400, 600, and a felt buffing. A dab of linseed oil and a stem is born;

49261409133_73a98f4ac3_b.jpg

Is this what you were thinking @Planck ?

Last edited:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Another validity question; what is a proper stain for something like this with heat and food-safe considerations? I tried a shoe-polish just for grins. Black is a bad color so I'll wait to post up a pic until I find something worth its salt. Advice?

TommyDee,

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
My stem came in the mail on Christmas Eve and I was home but didn't here the delivery person knock. Might have to pick it up in person

Diggy Smalls,
Reactions: TommyDee

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Enjoy your vacation @Diggy Smalls . It is good to know it made it through the system. Curious though they just drop it in the box. It is just an envelope.

Last edited:
TommyDee,

Planck

believes in Dog
Another validity question; what is a proper stain for something like this with heat and food-safe considerations? I tried a shoe-polish just for grins. Black is a bad color so I'll wait to post up a pic until I find something worth its salt. Advice?

Food coloring would be food safe. Color fast, maybe not. Interesting question, thinking about it most wood items designed to be food safe are not stained.

Research is needed. :science:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Researching :spliff: Food coloring sounds like a simple means. Apparently there are dies to use in your favorite protective finish. I'll save the $20 for now. I'll try the food coloring since it can't hurt.
Well, I need to sign and pay the delivery fee so they would hand me the envelope personally
There should be no signature or delivery fees. Maybe they decided it was to thick after all.

TommyDee,
Reactions: Planck

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
Researching :spliff: Food coloring sounds like a simple means. Apparently there are dies to use in your favorite protective finish. I'll save the $20 for now. I'll try the food coloring since it can't hurt.

There should be no signature or delivery fees. Maybe they decided it was to thick after all.
Yeah the slip said 3.50 was due and need signature

Diggy Smalls,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I'll make that up to you Diggy. They up-rated it to first class which is normally around $4.06. Feel free to refuse it if you like. I will make you another at your preferred length along with some extras.

TommyDee,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

Planck

believes in Dog
Is this what you were thinking @Planck ?

Yes that is lovely TD, sorry I missed the post, I'm only getting sparse notifications ATM. But yeah that a sweet stem. :tup:

Re food safe stains and finishs
https://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/All-Products/Paints-Coatings-Wood-Stains-Sealers
I'd add Rubos products are superb. Their tech is astonishingly good.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2006/08/01/food-safe-finishes
Not stains but still interesting, they missed hemp oil and things like Rubio.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Cool. I want to make a couple more in that vain. Sorry, I tend to edit away so new stuff just shows up :nod:

I saw the more-is-less philosophy about adders. Okay. Food color it is. I think that is the effect I want. Still have the linseed oil. Very clear on this species. Stems are coming out maple-clear. I'm anticipating a texture from staining.

Planck

believes in Dog
Cool, hope it goes well.

Also just in case you ever decided you'd like to use Rubio's products the high price is deceiving. A little goes a long way. Two or three tablespoons is probably enough to finish a 36x72 table. No pressure just fyi. :) For a stem I expect a drop or two would be plenty.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Well, I'm of a mind that this species will hold perfectly well for a bit on getting a seal coat. It takes less than a drop of linseed oil so I think I can let you finish to your preference. This one has linseed oil. I will spin up two more to a dry felt polish and not oil those. I suspect you have some 9 million stems worth of Rubio's on hand :D

Planck

believes in Dog
Well, I'm of a mind that this species will hold perfectly well for a bit on getting a seal coat. It takes less than a drop of linseed oil so I think I can let you finish to your preference. This one has linseed oil. I will spin up two more to a dry felt polish and not oil those. I suspect you have some 9 million stems worth of Rubio's on hand :D

Cool, finished not finished it doesn't matter to me. Whatever you prefer. Might be less chance of cracking if you finish it, it is pretty dry here now?

Planck,

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
Just had a thought, not at all sure of its merit...... but what about a cannabis rosin finish? Don't have access to try out as a finish myself. Or what about a stem made from hemp stalk, finished with rosin.

TheThriftDrifter,
Reactions: Planck

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I did mention that once. I even have some. I don't know if it would qualify as a hardening finish which seems to be a key element in wood finishes.

It was @phattpiggie that mentioned turning hemp stalks for friends IIRC. Main difference I can see, these stalks are up to 30-someodd years old, maybe more. They finish to a hard shell dry. They seem to stabilize within about a week. Give it two for grins. It girds pipe under extreme tension without a visible strain. It works like stonewood... it shaves when dry. I just sized a 1mm wall tube with a 5/16 drill bit. Put a VC 'M' together with it. Perfectly in tact. Pic in the DV thread. I can't explain this.

This is the first cut on yours @TheThriftDrifter

49285953242_87fdeaffc0_c.jpg

Would you also prefer doing your own finishing or is linseed okay? This one is coated already, but I will make a couple more.

Last edited:

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
I did mention that once. I even have some. I don't know if it would qualify as a hardening finish which seems to be a key element in wood finishes.

It was @phattpiggie that mentioned turning hemp stalks for friends IIRC. Main difference I can see, these stalks are up to 30-someodd years old, maybe more. They finish to a hard shell dry. They seem to stabilize within about a week. Give it two for grins. It girds pipe under extreme tension without a visible strain. It works like stonewood... it shaves when dry. I just sized a 1mm wall tube with a 5/16 drill bit. Put a VC 'M' together with it. Perfectly in tact. Pic in the DV thread. I can't explain this.

This is the first cut on yours @TheThriftDrifter

49285953242_87fdeaffc0_c.jpg

Would you also prefer doing your own finishing or is linseed okay? This one is coated already, but I will make a couple more.

WOW! How exciting. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

As to my preference regarding finish?

I would love it if you finished it as you would one of your own stems that you would use.

A genuine TommyDee for me please.

Bring it on. :clap:

But seriously, Its been really cool to read about your tinkering and experimenting on this thread. Keep it coming. :science:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Thank you Diggy :tup:

Today the glass came came in. 4-100mm long 8mm OD 1.5mm wall clear borosilicate. Nicely flamed ends and a good continuous diameter. Definitely looking forward to making a couple of these. Now to find out why they are 8mm not 7mm.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
...and the edit's gone;
Okay, I was eager to try the glass out. And due to the lucky accident of the wrong size tube, we have a new contender.
Now taking odds on shrink-fit wooden sleeves :cool: This will become my daily driver for a bit.

49290330181_f917c8329d_c.jpg

This has a 1.5mm wall, both glass and sleeve. The glass is in half way. The new accent makes for a nice grip. Cut after final polish, this feature should do well with stain. Cut depth is a mere 100 microns, yet strikingly pronounced.

I had a mouthpiece on it but it was too thin at the neck. I had to machine it off the glass :tup:

However, looking at it again, the mouthpiece is moot. This glass is perfectly appropriate as a draw tube. At 100mm glass and a 10mm heat-brake, this thing hits cool with no intervention. Need some more time with it but Tommy Likes It :rockon: What say you?

49289844783_7eda243705_c.jpg

Now for beads, which I am not fond of, a mouthpiece can maintain beads and drop out the VC-end for cleaning. I got a style in mind but I'll rock this one a bit as-is.

This piece of flowering Quince was growing in the ground this morning. I love working with this stuff wet. You are fighting time as it is dynamically shrinking as you work it. These thin-wall pieces will lock themselves on the arbor if you're not keeping up with it. All the processing operations generate enough heat to evaporate out most of the moisture since I am working both the inside and the outside.

And I might just have to put my cross slide to work... see where that's going :brow:

49291506891_eb51fe2a74_b.jpg

Haven't seen a good breakdown of this anywhere. :wave:

Last edited:

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
Hey that's pretty cool. The little rings look nice. Very shallow but pronounced. I'll bet there's quite a few ways you could use the glass in conjunction with the quince. BTW, how is that word pronounced? Like Quincy Jones?

Top Bottom