making basket screens

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
I prefer to use THESE

Rather than fiddling around with conventional screens shaping, I simply use those and 'reform' them a bit to fit the device I'm using (traditionally my Solo).

hd_rider

Although I don't use basket screens, I do have a personal method for making domed screens for use with my Solo stems.

A lot of people, me included, like to use screens in their glass but sometimes have a problem getting the right size, molding them to the right shape, etc. So I thought I would explain how to make the perfect domed screen for your Solo glass, and make it perfectly every time!

I buy all my screens in bulk, usually a 100 at a time from that well-known auction site. You can get 100 1/2-inch stainless-steel screens for just a few bucks.

What you'll need is a small piece of hard rubber, a selection of sockets from your toolset, and a good hammer. For the rubber piece, you might be able to get away with using a large stopper or something similar.

Testing your tool sockets, try to find one that fits inside the bowl of your Solo stem or gong. You want it to have some "play" room but you don't need a lot. I found that my Sears Craftsman 1/4-inch socket works perfectly for me.

Laying the rubber on a hard surface, place your 1/2-inch screen in the center.

jEvEMeD.jpg

Take your socket and place it on the screen, being careful to make sure the socket is centered. You should have an equal width of screen showing all around the base of the socket.

QpeVGg2.jpg

Now take your hammer and give the top of the socket a sharp blow. It might take a few times until you get it right, but what you'll end up with is a screen with a small, raised lip around the edge, making it fit perfectly in the Solo stem or gong.

bMBy3ve.jpg

In addition, you'll note the stamped screen has a small dome in the center. This results in the screen sitting above the holes in the stem / gong, ensuring great, even airflow.

Vape on, fellow purists!

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
what vapes are you looking to make 'em for? For log type stems,
I use a short 1/2 inch piece of silicone tube with an inner diameter = to the stem i want it to fit in, i find a screen of appropiate size and after centering the screen on the top of the tubing i push the screen through the silicone with a dowel or chop stick.

Starts out flat 'n' comes out a perfect basket pretty much every time.

Underdog used to sell a little kit to do this, that's how i know about it.

EDIT; Underdog has a good video of the method on youtube called "replacing screens in silicone stems" but the screen doesn't care if you put it in a glass or even wooden stem.

:leaf:

Last edited:

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
My recent method.

Cut a screen the shape of a rectangle. Start shaping the screen around a pencil (nano) until it is close to doming. Then shove into the stem/wand of your choice to get it fit tight. Remove the excess screen using a strong pair of scissors or pliers.

My old method was to fold a the screen at 4 places using a pair of hemostats to get the dome shape started, then finish by shoving into the stem/wand.

I've been using some much thicker gauge screens for my nano and SSV, I can tell an immediate difference in draw resistance.

NcMVQAhl.jpg

Stock screen on the right side

amPI1BEl.jpg

My collection of made screens in the front, Stock nano screens in the back.
The two large ones are for the SSV.

graydeh1

REP for TRVP ATTY, Shellshock/Tectonic and more.
Company Rep
Although I don't use basket screens, I do have a personal method for making domed screens for use with my Solo stems.

A lot of people, me included, like to use screens in their glass but sometimes have a problem getting the right size, molding them to the right shape, etc. So I thought I would explain how to make the perfect domed screen for your Solo glass, and make it perfectly every time!

I buy all my screens in bulk, usually a 100 at a time from that well-known auction site. You can get 100 1/2-inch stainless-steel screens for just a few bucks.

What you'll need is a small piece of hard rubber, a selection of sockets from your toolset, and a good hammer. For the rubber piece, you might be able to get away with using a large stopper or something similar.

Testing your tool sockets, try to find one that fits inside the bowl of your Solo stem or gong. You want it to have some "play" room but you don't need a lot. I found that my Sears Craftsman 1/4-inch socket works perfectly for me.

Laying the rubber on a hard surface, place your 1/2-inch screen in the center.

jEvEMeD.jpg

Take your socket and place it on the screen, being careful to make sure the socket is centered. You should have an equal width of screen showing all around the base of the socket.

QpeVGg2.jpg

Now take your hammer and give the top of the socket a sharp blow. It might take a few times until you get it right, but what you'll end up with is a screen with a small, raised lip around the edge, making it fit perfectly in the Solo stem or gong.

bMBy3ve.jpg

In addition, you'll note the stamped screen has a small dome in the center. This results in the screen sitting above the holes in the stem / gong, ensuring great, even airflow.

Vape on, fellow purists!
This looks like a great method, will try it as I am needing to make some domed screens.
Cheers

graydeh1,
Reactions: Madri-Gal
Top Bottom