Maine becomes 5th state to allow pot dispensaries

Beezleb

Congratulations to any Maniacs out there!

Maine becomes 5th state to allow pot dispensaries
By CLARKE CANFIELD, AP
http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20091104/US.Medical.Marijuana/

PORTLAND, Maine Voters approved a referendum making Maine the fifth state to allow retail pot dispensaries, but medical marijuana advocates say it won't become like California, where hundreds of marijuana shops have popped up and come under critical scrutiny.

California, Colorado, New Mexico and Rhode Island allow for places where medical marijuana patients can legally buy pot. Maine voters gave their approval Tuesday, 59 percent to 41 percent.

Referendum opponents pointed at Los Angeles as proof that cannabis outlets are a bad idea. There, the district attorney has vowed to crack down on places that are selling the drug to people who don't qualify.

But Ethan Nadelmann of the New York-based Drug Policy Alliance said there's no chance Maine would become like Los Angeles, which he called the "wild west West" of medical marijuana, because of stricter provisions.

Maine law requires that dispensaries be licensed by the state, while California law does not, he said. Maine law also narrowly defines medical conditions for which patients can be prescribed pot, while California allows doctors to recommend it for virtually any ailment.

"You aren't going to see hundreds of dispensaries popping up all over Maine," Nadelmann said. "You're going to see a more regulated system."

Nonetheless, the director of the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency said the language of the Maine referendum lacks proper oversight and control. The potential exists for a dispensary to become "nothing more than a storefront for the criminal activity of drug dealing, which is the experience in California," said Roy McKinney.

"If there isn't sufficient oversight, inspection, audits, etc., the potential is there for criminal activity to flourish," he said.

Fourteen states have laws allowing some use of marijuana for medical purposes. Maine's medical marijuana law, first approved in 1999, allows the use of pot for debilitating conditions such as cancer, AIDS and multiple sclerosis.

The original law allows patients to possess up to 2 1/2 ounces of pot and up to six marijuana plants, but many of those patients don't have a legal way to obtain it. The new law will give them places where they can buy it.

The number of dispensaries has exploded in California and Colorado. Los Angeles alone has up to 800 of them by some estimates, and Colorado has about 100. New Mexico has one and Rhode Island doesn't have any.

While many cannabis clubs have sprouted in Los Angeles, most California towns and cities have rules that regulate them on the local level and reflect the local values and attitudes, said Allen St. Pierre of the National Organizatoin for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

In Maine, dispensaries are more likely to show up in liberal-leaning cities and towns, he said.

"Obviously, the Portlands of the world will have more than Aroostook County," he said, contrasting Maine's largest city with the state's conservative northernmost county.

More states could adopt measures to allow for marijuana dispensaries with the recent announcement that the Obama administration would not seek to arrest medical marijuana users and suppliers under federal laws as long as they conform to state laws, said Bruce Mirken of the Marijuana Policy Project.

"I think it's a signal to the states, to voters and state legislatures, that this is something we can do without getting into a fight with the federal government, which nobody wants," he said.

Beezleb,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
The article states: "Referendum opponents pointed at Los Angeles as proof that cannabis outlets are a bad idea. There, the district attorney has vowed to crack down on places that are selling the drug to people who don't qualify."

To my knowledge, as an MMJ patient, I don't think that statement is true. The fact is, the City Attorney seems to tell everyone a different version of why he is trying to crack down on medical mj dispensaries. In one interview he said it was because the mj sold had pesticides that were not legal in CA so therefore it must be from somewhere else, therefore not legal. Then he said the co-ops or dispensaries had to grow their own mj and they weren't doing so, so THAT was the reason to shut them down...

Then I hear that he is saying many of the dispensaries started up under a clause that may not be legit. Yet he busted at least one dispensary - so I've heard - that was a pre-moratorium place that followed the rules (i.e., they were legit).

Honestly I don't know all the facts, but I'm looking into it. My guess is that the real reason is that the City Attorney here is just plain anti-marijuana. But I'm pretty sure the places he's shut down have not all been selling to "people who don't qualify".

And I know, you're just sharing the article. No problem. I'm just bitching about the City Atty.

It's great, though, that Maine has now joined us. Won by a wide margin, too.

To be honest, it IS "out of control" here in L.A. But it's the City Council's fault for not setting guidelines and letting things go unattended for too long. Finally people just started taking advantage of it.

I don't even see how over a thousand MMJ Dispensaries think they can all make enough $ to operate - unless they DO sell to people who are not qualified. On the other hand, it's now so easy and cheap to get a Dr.'s recommendation, everyone who ever wanted to, may soon qualify!

It's an interesting story. History in the making!

MoeOnTheMoon,

Beezleb

reading that he reminds me of the dean in the movie Animal House.

Beezleb,

lwien

MoeOnTheMoon said:
To be honest, it IS "out of control" here in L.A. But it's the City Council's fault for not setting guidelines and letting things go unattended for too long. Finally people just started taking advantage of it.
Yup. That's it in a nutshell.

lwien,

aero18

vaporist
lwien said:
MoeOnTheMoon said:
Yup. That's it in a nutshell.
People taking advantage of the system has both its cons and pros for the movement. What it does in one aspect is to make people see it as something normal, because of its prevalence and user base. Making it easier to access allows people to become accustomed to smokers and this in turn makes people more accepting of cannabis use.

Anti-medical marijuana proponents do insite this as propaganda to curb the spread of medicinal marijuana... so I guess it is twofold.

aero18,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Right, aero18. I see both sides of it, too.

I also am afraid of the following scenario and wonder what you guys may have read or heard about this - I assume people have discussed it before but I've seen nothing about it:

What I am concerned about is the whole idea of "MEDICAL" marijuana as opposed to just legalizing marijuana or decriminalizing it.

This goes back to "both sides" of the issue with a good and bad side - Having MJ approved for medical uses is good because it does allow at least some access to those who need it or want it bad enough.

But what I fear is that by giving it the distinction of "medical" it will fall into the hands of the FDA and Big Pharm. And if that happens, we're all SCREWED. It will be then available ONLY with an actual hand written per bottle prescription written by a doctor and Big Pharm will charge megabucks for each gram!

Am I just being paranoid or is this really a concern?

If that is a possibility then I fear that the whole Medical MJ movement could be playing right into the filthy greedy hands of Big Pharm.

I'd MUCH rather just see California legalize it! Or at least Decriminalize it and for all practical purposes just let everyone grow it, get it and use it as they please.

MoeOnTheMoon,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
Pharmecutical companies taking over worries me as well but I find it hard to believe that they would start distributing nugs. There are already synthetic and part synthetic thc pills like marinol that you can get subscribed by a doctor and pick up in a pharmacy. The thing is no one wants that stuff. The thing about weed is quality really matters. If big pharm took over and distributed high priced shwag, the black market of bomb weed would just keep on chuggin.
hope that made sense I'm :ko:

bluntfaced,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Yeah, that makes sense. I just worry about the whole "medicinal" aspect playing into the Big Pharm beast.
The real trick us mj activists have to pull off is to just get it decriminalized or legalized as herb, and not make it a "medicinal" thing at all. Like any herb (valerian, chamomile, ginger...) it should be considered a medicinal herb but not regulated as a medicine. That's where I fear the whole "medicinal" mj thing could lead to problems.

MoeOnTheMoon,

lwien

MoeOnTheMoon said:
Yeah, that makes sense. I just worry about the whole "medicinal" aspect playing into the Big Pharm beast.
The real trick us mj activists have to pull off is to just get it decriminalized or legalized as herb, and not make it a "medicinal" thing at all. Like any herb (valerian, chamomile, ginger...) it should be considered a medicinal herb but not regulated as a medicine. That's where I fear the whole "medicinal" mj thing could lead to problems.
But here's the rub. MJ IS an intoxicant............and as such, should have some controls, eh? Yeah, not regulated as a medicine, but regulated no different than alcohol.

btw, don't know if you've seen this, but it's kinda interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJx0GqR3P_o

lwien,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Well, mj is not nearly as much of an intoxicant as alcohol - and this has been pretty much proven and reported by scientists - so it definitely should have no more controls than alcohol does, imho.

And if someone thinks, "Oh, we have to make it so one has to be 21 to use it" believe me, that would work no better than having it illegal is working now. So there's really no point at all to THAT restriction. The most fun people have smoking mj is when they're 16-21, in my observations. So, no, I wouldn't restrict it any more than cigarettes. Make it so kids can't buy it and try to enforce that.

The bottom line is it's always going to have about the same use as it has now - legal or illegal, restricted or unrestricted. IMHO. So trying to restrict it beyond that is going to fail.

MoeOnTheMoon,

Beezleb

I believe you need wide spread acceptance of it on the medical use level before it would go for everyone, even then I think you will just see it decriminalized but there is always help.

I think its gonna take baby steps with lots of steps forward and backward until we get their.

Beezleb,
Top Bottom