Magma and Obsidian Volcano Bubblers

dunwich

First off all: I LOVE my Obsidian. It makes the vapor so much more comfortable.
Only issue I have is: what to do with all the beautiful resin that adds up in the lower chamber? I guess there's no way to get to that?

MinnBobber

Only issue I have is: what to do with all the beautiful resin that adds up in the lower chamber? I guess there's no way to get to that?

I don't own an Obsidian (yet) but think I can help.
I had that same issue of hidden/hard to get at resin in my hydratubes and found a solution.

Simmer it in cream or half and half cream ( a US type of cream)
I use a crude double boiler:
- a bigger pot with water
- a smaller inner vessel, like an empty metal soup can. Ideally, just bigger in diameter than the Obsidian
so you don't need an excessive amount of cream
- a temp probe

Gently bring the cream to temp, something like 150f will do----not too hot /avoid boiling cream
REsin loves dissolving in all that butterfat
Adjust water levels and levels of cream so nothing spills over when stacked in place.
Simmer for 15 minutes. With an oven mitt, you can shake the Obsidian a little too.
You may need to suck on the Obsidian a little to get cream into it, or pour into it----experiment with water first
as how to best fill with cream.

You get some really nice honey resin cream. I made mine into the world's best creme brulee :)

My resin is really really pure and golden without nasty ABV microdust as I use a hemp filter on my vapes.
Hope this helps.

IMO, all vapes improve dramatically with added moisture. The vapor is not hot (compared to combusting) but it is
extremely dry and water conditioning is a huge improvement!!!!

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
First off all: I LOVE my Obsidian. It makes the vapor so much more comfortable.

I was going to post something about my method using ISO to reclaim all the goodness that builds up in Obsidian (especially with heavy use!), but MinnBobber hit the nail on the head! You can also do this method with full fat milk, mix in some chocolate, and you have yourself some incredibly potent chocolate milk!

dunwich

Thank you MinnBobber and Magma! Potent chocolate milk sounds amazing!
However, my cooking skills are close to nonexistent, so im not completey sure how to follow the instruction.
So: Water in the bigger pot, but what do I put in the inner vessel, outside the Obsidian? Then I add cream/milk to the inside of the Obsidian, let it heat for 15 min, and im good to go?

MinnBobber

The inner vessel is all cream. It can just take a little effort to get the cream inside the Obsidian.
You can suck the cream into it or pour the cream into it.

A really good idea is to try it with cool water in the outer big vessel AND water in the inner vessel to get the hang of it. To see how to best get the cream inside the Obs and to note how much cream you will need to cover the goo but not overflow the inner vessel.

Make sure to not boil the cream, some heat and a little shaking with a hot dish holder and the goo dissolves into the butterfat

You can then add hot chocolate mix as choc hides the taste

edit- trial run also serves to adjust water level in outer pot. Not too much water or inner vessel may float and tip over.
I much prefer cream soak vs nasty alcohol soak

Last edited:

dunwich

Pardon me, but im still not 100% sure what to do:
1) Outer big vessel = water
2) Inner small vessel = cream (why?)
3) Inside obsidian = cream (I experimented with water and its easy enough to get inside, so thats no a prob).
My problem is 2) Why do I put cream OUTSIDE the obsidian and not just water? OR Why do I need the inner vessel in the first place. Cant I just hold the obsidian with cream inside in a hot water bowl?

Again thank you for your patience :)

AAaaah! I think I get it! I put the Obsidian horizontally in the inner vessel, add cream so it covers the obsidian, and then let it soak/bath in it for 15 min. Right?
For some reason I had a picture in my mind of placing the obisidian vertically...

Last edited by a moderator:

MinnBobber

Inner vessel and Obsidian with cream as I believe a full of cream Ovsidian will leak out into the water, dilute the system. That happens with hydra tubes so assume it will for Obs.

Two vessels as that is a traditional double boiler to better control temp and allow lesser amount of cream, in our case.

? Can you fill your Obs with water, where all of the goo is covered for extraction and gently shake it without any leakage??
If any leaks, you need cream in the inner vessel to avoid dilution.
If no water leaks from it when full to needed level, then you could use water in inner vessel.

My hydra tubes would need to be fully covered by cream to get all the goo. They leak down to lower internal level unless externally covered.

I assume Obs is the same, a cylindrical hydra tube.
Maybe anther Obs owner can chime in here——handicapped by not having one here to try

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
AAaaah! I think I get it! I put the Obsidian horizontally in the inner vessel, add cream so it covers the obsidian, and then let it soak/bath in it for 15 min. Right?
For some reason I had a picture in my mind of placing the obisidian vertically...
The orientation doesn't matter so much, it's more that if Obsidian is vertical you won't spill any of the cream. You only need cream on the inside of Obsidian, but having the small vessel allows cream to "spill" over without losing it to the larger water bath.

Magma_Industries,
Reactions: dunwich

MinnBobber

Horizontal can be best, especially if you have what I call a meatloaf pan.
I do mine vertical inside a soup can inside a bigger pot. It allows lesser amount of cream.

Horiz, you could do without inner vessel, direct in hot cream but probably takes much bigger volume of cream.
Horiz with cream halfway up Obs and rotate for full coverage??,

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
Everyone has to learn somewhere! Thanks MinnBobber for giving such a detailed overview, you really touched on all the necessary bits to minimize the cream usage. And your breadloaf pan is probably the best thing to do it in, I should go pick one up.... Cheers!

Magma_Industries,

dunwich

Succes! I managed to make a nice cup of hot chocolate and now im enjoying the effects :)
I ended up using a big drinking glass as the inner vessel, worked fine. It didnt completely dissolve the goo but I would say 80% of it.

Cereal4dinner

My honest review of the obsidian

Function -10
great cooling with minimal filtration (in a good way, good flavour)

Ease of use - 8
Swapping o rings is gona get old, also the o ring can get stuck up the unit

Build quality - 6
Nothing special here, feels like cheap glass. For the price i expected better.

Value - 7
Great piece if u want to pass around water conditioned vapour. Its just to expensive. I payed with duties, $200 canadian. You can buy a fantastic vape for $200 canadian and i feel like this just isn't worth it. Granted this is a niche item and who knows what the developers payed to create it.

Thanks for reading

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
My honest review of the obsidian

Function -10
great cooling with minimal filtration (in a good way, good flavour)

Ease of use - 8
Swapping o rings is gona get old, also the o ring can get stuck up the unit

Build quality - 6
Nothing special here, feels like cheap glass. For the price i expected better.

Value - 7
Great piece if u want to pass around water conditioned vapour. Its just to expensive. I payed with duties, $200 canadian. You can buy a fantastic vape for $200 canadian and i feel like this just isn't worth it. Granted this is a niche item and who knows what the developers payed to create it.

Thanks for reading
Thanks for your honest review! With regards to the O-rings, we didn't expect people to remove the unit from their Herbal Chamber, except for the occasional cleaning session. We keep ours on for months at a time (generating lots of yummy reclaim in the process) and so haven't viewed O-ring changes as an issue. The glass is laboratory made borosilicate, handblown here in the USA. It is not cheap to make, and the retail price reflects that, but we stand by the build quality 100% and address any issues that users might have. We'll pass your comments on to the team as well so they have more feedback to work with in future developments. Thank you again for your honest opinions, they will not be overlooked. Cheers!

Cereal4dinner

Apologies i didnt know it was borosilicate. That actually changes my opinion. Because of the really low weight and how thin the glass seems it just comes off as cheap, maybe if the glass was a bit thicker i wouldnt feel like im going to break it? Other than my opinion on that and the price its a really great product

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
Apologies i didnt know it was borosilicate. That actually changes my opinion. Because of the really low weight and how thin the glass seems it just comes off as cheap, maybe if the glass was a bit thicker i wouldnt feel like im going to break it? Other than my opinion on that and the price its a really great product
We've heard the same things from other users (they feel it's too thin/not heavy enough), and we're working on sourcing the material to make a "double thickness" version, but that has been surprisingly hard not only to source, but also working it to the proper geometry is not as easy and we've ended up with far more defects in our testing than with the gauge we currently use. It is very durable and tough, and if you ever run into issues please shoot us an email so we can address it immediately. You can be confident in it either way, as we've had almost no issues reported in the three years we've had them available :)

Magma_Industries,
Reactions: Poostuff

dunwich

I can confirm that the Obsidian is actually very durable. Ive dropped it on the floor (wooden) a cpl of times and its still in one piece.

By the way: The cocoa drink made from the gooey stuff made me higher than ive been in the last 20 years. Wow! What a trip! Thanks for the tip - cant wait for the next time :)

Cereal4dinner

Very cool that the magma/obsidian interface & work with the hybrid! So does that mean you can use the whip attachment doohickey with the magma/obsidian @Magma_Industries ? Is talking about accessories off-topic here even though it’s within the context of the Volcano Hybrid?

I’m still on the fence, but intrigued by this hybrid of a volcano and the sheer number of really cool people who are saying it’s the TRUTH has obviously gotten my attention. I’m not freaked out about the pricetag, mainly because literally everyone who’s pulled the trigger has had zero regrets. I honestly don’t think that I’ve seen anyone be pissed about dropping the $700, even those who rightly note that it is a lot of money.

Factor in the number of Volcanos out there, still pumping after a decade of service and I begin to think of the price tag more as an investment to be amortised over time. I can’t be in a super fast hurry since I have some other vape priorities to satisfy that’ll take the rest of my 2019 budget. I’m an S&B virgin and have only experienced a volcano once, over a decade ago, but I think I’ll have to get a Hybrid eventually. In any event, the thread’s good vibes is enough to keep me coming back!

Can an individual own a Volcano and still refuse to call it a ‘Cano? Or is that mandatory? I’ll need to know. That might be a dealbreaker for me, unless there’s a phenomenon where any reservations melt away upon acquisition.

You can for sure use the whip with them.... I wouldnt tho, its not very stable and with all the yanking you would be doing id be worried about pulling to hard on the obsidian and having it fly off or break. Its great for bags tho, i under fill the water level so it doesn't mute the taste to much

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
You can for sure use the whip with them.... I wouldnt tho, its not very stable and with all the yanking you would be doing id be worried about pulling to hard on the obsidian and having it fly off or break. Its great for bags tho, i under fill the water level so it doesn't mute the taste to much
I'm not sure I understand fully... If you're using the Hybrid which locks onto the Volcano, there's no way Obsidian would fall off. They attach very securely to the Herbal Chamber, and the Herbal Chamber literally screws onto the Hybrid, so I'm not sure where there is any room for instability...

Cereal4dinner

I'm not sure I understand fully... If you're using the Hybrid which locks onto the Volcano, there's no way Obsidian would fall off. They attach very securely to the Herbal Chamber, and the Herbal Chamber literally screws onto the Hybrid, so I'm not sure where there is any room for instability...

Ill make a video showing what I mean. The glass just feels way to fragile, I tried to use the whip and I felt like if I pulled hard enough I'd rip the joint right off the obsidian, and the obsidian wabbles a lot eve with the best fitting o ring

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
Ill make a video showing what I mean. The glass just feels way to fragile, I tried to use the whip and I felt like if I pulled hard enough I'd rip the joint right off the obsidian, and the obsidian wabbles a lot eve with the best fitting o ring
We make all of our glass bubblers out of the highest quality Laboratory Grade borosilicate available, and it is very tough and durable. If any situation happens like you describe, it is surely a defect and we'd replace it without question. Re: wobbling, it sounds like the unit is not fully seated on the Chamber. There should be zero, if not minimal, wobble. Using an O-ring that is too large could also make it more "wobbly" as it will not allow the unit to be fully seated.

In conclusion, you don't need to worry about anything "flying off" or breaking at any time, particularly with the whip attachment.

Cereal4dinner

We make all of our glass bubblers out of the highest quality Laboratory Grade borosilicate available, and it is very tough and durable. If any situation happens like you describe, it is surely a defect and we'd replace it without question. Re: wobbling, it sounds like the unit is not fully seated on the Chamber. There should be zero, if not minimal, wobble. Using an O-ring that is too large could also make it more "wobbly" as it will not allow the unit to be fully seated.

In conclusion, you don't need to worry about anything "flying off" or breaking at any time, particularly with the whip attachment
Listen im not a dummy, I've experimented with the obsidian very thoroughly and I'm telling you I don't trust the whip on top of that thing for one second.

I love it for bags tho

Last edited by a moderator:

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
It's a fair critique and personal opinion we can't really argue. In this video (50s mark to skip the intro)
you'll see a proper seal without wobbling, and it even took a hit on the table during the "shake" portion. It's perfectly fine with the whip, and with a replacement guarantee (because we stand behind the durability and quality of our glass) we don't think it should stop anyone from using it in that way if that's the method they prefer.

I also didn't mean to imply you were a "dummy" or anything and fully trust what you were saying about the wobbliness. Although a video might help us identify if there is anything that could be done to improve its stability on your particular Herbal Chamber.

Cereal4dinner

It's a fair critique and personal opinion we can't really argue. In this video (50s mark to skip the intro)
you'll see a proper seal without wobbling, and it even took a hit on the table during the "shake" portion. It's perfectly fine with the whip, and with a replacement guarantee (because we stand behind the durability and quality of our glass) we don't think it should stop anyone from using it in that way if that's the method they prefer.

I also didn't mean to imply you were a "dummy" or anything and fully trust what you were saying about the wobbliness. Although a video might help us identify if there is anything that could be done to improve its stability on your particular Herbal Chamber.

It doesnt wobble if your not using it, as soon as you pull a little bit, the obsidian unseats it self and wobbles like crazy regardless of what o ring is in. Show a video of you using the whip

In conclusion i dont use it for the whip.

Top Bottom