Magical Butter

boocoodinkydow

Yep, love it. Easy peasy and predictable outcome. Just made a batch of coconut oil a couple days ago. Still using my original method: 1oz green plus melted coconut oil to "min" line or 2oz plus oil to "max", run 1hr at 220 to decarb, add liquid lecithin (2 tbs for 1oz/min or 4 tbs for 2oz/max) and run two hours at 160. When finished, allow to settle for 20-30min and decant most of oil, then strain/squeeze remainder from remaining sludge.

On a related note, while my machine is still running strong, I just noticed today that the handle of the base/container is cracking:

15xr29f.jpg

97ofo7.jpg

I'll probably just glue it somehow, and while I'm sure it's well out of warranty, I may reach out to them anyway to see what they have to say, and perhaps find out how much a replacement base would cost.

Very common problem with early models. They replaced mine with no problems.

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
I’ll try to dig up the chart, but I have seen THCa conversion charts that show the conversion is ~90% complete after 30 min. The remaining 10% takes another ~120 min.

“So, you gotta ask yourself one question: do you feel lucky?” - is it worth it to cook your weed THAT long for 10%? Especially since you’ll be *losing* THC due to CBN conversion?

In the absence of genuine proof that THC *is* the thing that matters, I now choose a shorter decarb.

boocoodinkydow

Woe
Well, mine is out of warranty, but they did offer to sell me a replacement at a discount. I may take them up on that offer.

WOW! Disappointing. There’s been so many incidents of broken handles they’ve got to recognize it as a defect. It would seem that a proper response by a reputable company would be to replace a known defective item at any time at no charge!

Be careful. That handle will continue to crumble the more you use it. Don’t get burned.

Last edited:
boocoodinkydow,

boocoodinkydow

I’ll try to dig up the chart, but I have seen THCa conversion charts that show the conversion is ~90% complete after 30 min. The remaining 10% takes another ~120 min.

“So, you gotta ask yourself one question: do you feel lucky?” - is it worth it to cook your weed THAT long for 10%? Especially since you’ll be *losing* THC due to CBN conversion?

In the absence of genuine proof that THC *is* the thing that matters, I now choose a shorter decarb.

I’m convinced that the parameters for a good Decarb are a lot wider than most realize. I’ve just seen too many bonafide lab reports of good decarb results using vastly diversified times and temps.

Additionally, there are far too many variables involved to absolutely aver that there is a single time/temp that will result in the absolute utopian state for all circumstances. How old is your weed? How was it stored? What is the moisture content? And a simple variable that never receives consideration is atmospheric conditions as well as altitude. Barometric pressure and altitude will vary the rate of vaporization of most substances. As will ambient temps and humidity.

Before I started using my ardent, I adapted Psam’s formula of 240 for 40 minutes because of some impressive lab results he shared. But with him operating in the arid regions of I think Arizona, am I going to get the same results in the oppressively humid, hot conditions of the gulf coast? I dare say not.

So yes, I do agree with you. I think many are being far too anal in trying to find the absolute ultimate decarb procedure.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
With regards to decarb, do you all find the Nova essential?

I never gave it much of a second glance, but seeing how so many of you MB users pair with Nova, I thought I would ask... I've always done it the old fashion way in the oven.

boocoodinkydow

Essential, no. Advantageous, yes. I fall a bit short of recommending it simply because of the price. Just way too much for what it is. They also come up a little short in the support department in my opinion. That’s the bad. The good; it works! You can’t beat it for efficiency and simplicity. I’ve tried a variety of Decarb methods and there is a definite difference in the finished product from the ardent device.

In short, it’s the most overpriced, poorest quality, most useful product in my cannabis apothecary cabinet and I’ll probably never be without one.

P.S.

I hate my MBMII and very seldom use it.

MyCollie

I'm going to make some infused mct oil today. I'm already decarbing with the Ardent and will use the MBM to make the infusion.

For oil the MBM recommends 1/4 to 1/2oz of "botanicals" per cup of oil. Does this seem too low of a ratio? I'm thinking I'll need more bud in the mix and I have it. I have over 1.5oz plus some rosin to throw in there. I don't have any trim - I need to use up these buds. New living situation makes vapiing flower difficult. Concentrates/pens are no biggie. I need this indica-heavy oil for post surgical recovery. I suppose I could make alcohol tincture but I don't want to do that this time even though I have a handle of ever clear 190 here at home.

Also, the MBM recommends a 1hr cycle for oil but a 2hr cycle for butter. Any thoughts on this?

MyCollie,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I don't think you will have any issues adding more material, do what works for you.

MB machine did not have the greatest showing on Most Expensivist on ViceLand.
Weird goofy pitchmen, could not get the machine working right, the whole presentation was just awkward and odd.

FlyingLow,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

ClearBlueLou

Somehow I’m not in the target market for this

Maybe because I’ve spent so much of my life in the kitchen, I think that what we’re doing is melting butter, and none of the extra steps are really capable of complicating that. The idea that a single-use appliance would “free” me by letting me be disconnected from the process. There are definitely “improvements” around here on old standard, but some of the ....

Or maybe I’m just stoned :wave:

MyCollie

Somehow I’m not in the target market for this

Maybe because I’ve spent so much of my life in the kitchen, I think that what we’re doing is melting butter, and none of the extra steps are really capable of complicating that. The idea that a single-use appliance would “free” me by letting me be disconnected from the process. There are definitely “improvements” around here on old standard, but some of the ....

Or maybe I’m just stoned :wave:

You are correct. These machines are overkill. I’ve had great success with the SV method after decarbing. The Ardent device is helpful for us condo dwellers. The MBM produced somewhat better results than the SV. Probably due to the stirring. It’s basically just a soy milk machine with different settings, etc.

blupx

Hi all. Just got my Chinese version of this and it arrived without the decarb function. Pretty annoyed because it was a feature I wanted. Sending it back would be a pain so I'm wondering if it's possible to use the manual settings to get it to decarb for me? Set the temp and time manually and put my herb in the bottom and set it going? I guess the blades will still run and spin in thin air. Is that a problem?
Seconds question, would it be possible to do a smaller batch, keep the proportions the same and top up to the line with water? The oil and active ingredients aren't water soluble so I think it should work in theory but not sure if I'm missing something. Any thoughts?

blupx,

boocoodinkydow

Volume is a real problem for me with the real MBM2. it requires a minimum of 2 cups of whatever for it to activate. Mines a couple of years old and I don’t think it has a decarb function so I can’t help you there.

boocoodinkydow,
Reactions: blupx

MonkeyTime

Hi all. Just got my Chinese version of this and it arrived without the decarb function. Pretty annoyed because it was a feature I wanted. Sending it back would be a pain so I'm wondering if it's possible to use the manual settings to get it to decarb for me? Set the temp and time manually and put my herb in the bottom and set it going? I guess the blades will still run and spin in thin air. Is that a problem?
Seconds question, would it be possible to do a smaller batch, keep the proportions the same and top up to the line with water? The oil and active ingredients aren't water soluble so I think it should work in theory but not sure if I'm missing something. Any thoughts?

I know it's not what your asking, but I never found the decarb function to work very well, and I believe even MB said a true decarb was better..... You may be chasing something you don't want/need?

Yes, it may be overkill, just like the Nova, but I like and use both. Both automate processes that I can mimic, but not as consistently and not without effort.

They are the "set it and forget it" of cannabis.

ClearBlueLou

Whereas I’m the kind who likes to do things with my own effort...zen moments, mindful living, acts of love

ClearBlueLou,
Reactions: blupx

blupx

I know it's not what your asking, but I never found the decarb function to work very well, and I believe even MB said a true decarb was better..... You may be chasing something you don't want/need?

Yes, it may be overkill, just like the Nova, but I like and use both. Both automate processes that I can mimic, but not as consistently and not without effort.

They are the "set it and forget it" of cannabis.
I decided to do a bit of testing and set the device to 240F with nothing in it and inserted a temperature probe. Maxed out at about 190F and then started dropping so I turned it off after 10mins. Not sure if that's because my model isn't built to decarb or if they'd all be the same but I'd recommend people check themselves if they're using one with a decarb function.
It's a pity because I was hoping for something stealthy. Might have to try oven with turkey bags for now.
Thanks for the feedback guys. I see some other people talking about using water for smaller batches too so might try that soon. Herb is expensive here so always wary about wasting it. I did see a warning not to use lectin if you're using water as they'll interact and ruin the batch. Just mentioning it in case someone else is trying it too

blupx,

boocoodinkydow

I decided to do a bit of testing and set the device to 240F with nothing in it and inserted a temperature probe. Maxed out at about 190F and then started dropping so I turned it off after 10mins. Not sure if that's because my model isn't built to decarb or if they'd all be the same but I'd recommend people check themselves if they're using one with a decarb function.
It's a pity because I was hoping for something stealthy. Might have to try oven with turkey bags for now.
Thanks for the feedback guys. I see some other people talking about using water for smaller batches too so might try that soon. Herb is expensive here so always wary about wasting it. I did see a warning not to use lectin if you're using water as they'll interact and ruin the batch. Just mentioning it in case someone else is trying it too

If stealth is of importance use a sealed mason jar. Before I bought my ardent I used this method with good results:

Place an open jar in the oven and preheat it to 250. When it reaches the set temp, place your readied herb in the jar as quickly as possible, seal the jar and return it to the oven for 45 minutes. Take it out of the oven and allow it to cool down until it’s comfortable to the touch. DO NOT OPEN AT THIS TIME. Place it in the freezer for about an hour. At this point there will be an unpleasant odor that is short lived but not discernible as pot. Best to open the jar outside if possible or near a bathroom exhaust or stove hood. Don’t try to use the lid a second time because it likely won’t seal properly.

Good luck
BCDD

boocoodinkydow,
Reactions: MonkeyTime

MonkeyTime

Whereas I’m the kind who likes to do things with my own effort...zen moments, mindful living, acts of love

So do I, but there are only so many hours in a day. They both allow me to spend my time where I'd prefer.

If standing over a simmering pot is a Zen moment for you, I'm jealous! And I really hope you were a chef, a true gift!

I often find those moments in my garden, they are treasured!

ClearBlueLou

I suppose if you’re doing it right, they’re all zen moments, gardening a most beautiful example.

Started feeding myself when I was 15 an dover the years I’ve made the kitchen one of my happy places, it lets me really enjoy it - and I will often be doing a variety of things: cooking a big patch of pepper relish, forex, and making ice cream, ketchup, yogurt and “special treats” as well, all rolling through the same day or two. Very much my happy place.

MrNaturalAZ

Tree hugging dirt worshipper

In-unit decarb isn't done dry (the MBM is designed to heat liquid - not air), and it's only possible when making butter or oil.*

Simply add your (melted) butter or oil and your plant material. Run a cycle at 220 for an hour. This decarbs as well as begins the infusion process. Then run another 2 hours at 160 to complete infusion.

So, assuming your unit has a 220 degree setting, or something close to that, that's how you'd do it.

*Alcohol (and maybe glycerine?) will boil and evaporate at the temperature required for decarboxylation, so if you are making one of those things, you'll need to do an oven decarb or use one of the dedicated decarb appliances.

MrNaturalAZ,

ClearBlueLou

Alcohol boils at 160F, decarboxylation is ~90% done by the time temp reaches 220F

ClearBlueLou,

Hobbess

Relaxed

Anyone use trim to make MB oil?

I usually run a butane honey oil extraction then add 25 ml of hot oil to dissolve and bind with the BHO.

I was just wondering if I could use the MBM instead of BHO and get similar potency.

Hobbess,

Chiron

Hey folks, my MBM2 is on its way! I will be making CBD-A oil from some high-CBD bud. Upon first glance I thought I should simply skip decarbing and make the oil using the normal recipe, but wonder if there is something I have missed? No gotcha’s? My prescribing physician has me using CBD-A topically and CBD internally for my psoriasis and it has worked surprisingly well! My medical provider is sometimes out of stock of CBD-A oil and I would be happy to save $$$$ too. My second batch will be CBD oil, but I am not running out of that yet.

I definitely like vaping with my vapcap, but I almost want to make THC oil first to easily confirm my success. But since I am a micro-doser, I would be stuck with a year’s worth from a minimum 2 cup batch unless I make it really weak LOL

Cheers!

boocoodinkydow

Hey folks, my MBM2 is on its way! I will be making CBD-A oil from some high-CBD bud. Upon first glance I thought I should simply skip decarbing and make the oil using the normal recipe, but wonder if there is something I have missed? No gotcha’s? My prescribing physician has me using CBD-A topically and CBD internally for my psoriasis and it has worked surprisingly well! My medical provider is sometimes out of stock of CBD-A oil and I would be happy to save $$$$ too. My second batch will be CBD oil, but I am not running out of that yet.

I definitely like vaping with my vapcap, but I almost want to make THC oil first to easily confirm my success. But since I am a micro-doser, I would be stuck with a year’s worth from a minimum 2 cup batch unless I make it really weak LOL

Cheers!

You’re correct in skipping decarbing to avoid morphing CBD-A into CBD. I feel your pain concerning the minimum batch size required in the MBM2. Mine’s a rarely used bookend now. Wish they’d make a mini and Ardent would go jumbo.

boocoodinkydow,
Top Bottom