Magical Butter

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Hello All, What is everyone's ratio of ABV to butter when using the MB2?

Anyone have any successful recipes??

THANKS!!!
Your butter will not be as potent as using fresh herb, but there are still a lot of goodies left in abv. I tend to use more than when I am making something out of fresh... probably double as much abv? The machine only holds so much so you have to take that into consideration.

I wouldn't call my recipes 'successful' as they did not do the trick for me. However, I have made some oils using abv that work well for pain when used topically.

momofthegoons,
Reactions: CarolKing

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Today I'm making a batch of Magical Coconut Oil: do I feel lucky?

I had about 3 oz of elder bud aged about a year, and 24 oz of coconut oil. I decarbed in the MB Machine at 220 F for 90 minutes. For the last 30 minute decarb cycle, I added 3 grams of concentrate so that it might decarb, too. I am now in 4-hour cycle at 160 F, having added 3 tablespoons of sunflower lecherous goo. I guess it's not lecherous, but you know what I mean.

Last edited:

ItsMedicine

hey you guys, is it safe, worth it, to add in about 5 or so grams of frosty stems
into the Magical Butter along with the ounce of nugs ?

ItsMedicine,

TeeJay1952

Low stalks no, top trim (frosty) sure why not? It sort of depends on the volume you are processing.
IMHO FC works best when you give your results to add to the data base.

ItsMedicine

thanks TeeJay

making a batch of coco oil sometime tomorrow
after I let the oil cool down in the Magical Butter machine then strain it
do I really have to put it in the fridge(like you do butter)
or can I bottle it up in mason jar and put it in dark cupboard right after straining ?

I think I asked about this already , but has anyone had great results with the standard 1 hour
for Coco Oil in the MB machine ? I heard that too much time in it crosses it over from
psychoactive to more of a sedative sleepy medicine. I want to reach the peak in psychoactive
but not at a risk of converting the THC to too much CBD,CBN, medicinal feel ....

Sorry for all the questions, very new to this and wantin to make no mistakes

Last edited:
ItsMedicine,

ItsMedicine

thanks MoMo, ill def let you know how it turns out

I just started the 1 hour oil cycle at 160 F

the weird thing to me is for about 3-4 minutes b4 it started pulverizing

it was making crackling sounds as if the coco oil was boiling or something ?

Is that popping crackle at first normal ?

ItsMedicine,

Elfa

Hello Friends:

I've read the last 25 pages or so of this thread.

Very informative stuff.
What a great community.
What a great world.

A week or two ago, a friend of mine gave me an e-vape cartridge from Colorado.

I was hooked, but I have a hard time finding those around here.
So, I've decided to go about creating my own.

I've got all of the supplies (MBM, 191 EC, VG, PG, empty cartridges).
I don't care for flavoring.

I am trying to create a high power vape juice.

Now, I notice in the instructions with the MBM that it says,
"Ever Clear or Vegetable Glycerin."

Does it have to be "or"?

Can I use a mixture of these?
Will a 30% EC, 70% VG mixture be more potent than a pure VG tincture?

Elfa,

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Hey guys, seems I can't do this butter thing right to save my life! So many opinions and very little lab results to back it all up.

My question - I made some butter with 1lb salted butter, 2 tablespoons of lechitin and an oz of flowers at 160F for 2 hours. Should I take my butter and run it back through at a higher temperature?

I just hope all the thc-a that was in the herb is now in my butter because the herb used is now gone.

psychonaut,

MrNaturalAZ

Tree hugging dirt worshipper
Hey guys, seems I can't do this butter thing right to save my life! So many opinions and very little lab results to back it all up.

My question - I made some butter with 1lb salted butter, 2 tablespoons of lechitin and an oz of flowers at 160F for 2 hours. Should I take my butter and run it back through at a higher temperature?

Did you decarb first (dry herb in the oven, else an hour at 220 in the MBM)?

That is the usual way, but I think there's a high likelihood that your batch can be salvaged. I'd suggest leaving your butter in the MBM (or putting it back in) and running a one-hour cycle at 220f. That should be effective at converting the THCA to THC.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Did you decarb first (dry herb in the oven, else an hour at 220 in the MBM)?

That is the usual way, but I think there's a high likelihood that your batch can be salvaged. I'd suggest leaving your butter in the MBM (or putting it back in) and running a one-hour cycle at 220f. That should be effective at converting the THCA to THC.

Nope, no decarb done at this point. I'll run it through at 220f for an hour in the mbm. Thanks =)

psychonaut,

trichome_renaissance

Anybody have any tips for maximum extraction into coconut oil? Also, does anybody know how well (% wise) coconut oil extracts thca/thc from botanicals to begin with? I know it does a better job at extracting than VG and butter.....

NOTE: I've been doing a roughly 30 minute oven decarb @ 245F prior to running cycles in the MB2 and I add sunflower lecithin to the MB2 along with roughly 28g of quality botanicals per cup of coconut oil

Batch 1 was a 3 hour cycle @ 160F
Batch 2 was a 4 hour cycle @ 160F

Material used was different strain, but fairly comparable quality wise. Batch 1 seemed a bit more potent and definitely more sedative (I've since tweaked my oven decarb method to try to encourage a little less total decarboxylation) so I'm not sure if the potency decrease is due to the botanicals, the slightly shorter decarboxylation, the increased mb2 time, etc.

I'm considering reducing the overall cycle in the MB2 to 2 hours (1 hour @ 220F plus 1 hour @ either 160F or 190F). Thoughts?

Also, can anybody confirm (based on first hand experience) that a 1 hour mb2 cycle @ 220F decarb's as effectively as an oven decarb such as the one I'm performing now?

I'm also curious as to why everybody is using 160F for everything. Other than contributing slightly to decarboxylation (which one might want to avoid when making products that require longer extraction cycles) I'm pretty sure 190F should be a more effective extraction temperature and still remain cool enough to prevent terpene losses, no?
Cheers

Last edited:
trichome_renaissance,

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
So that butter turned out pretty damn good after running at 220F for an hour. I have a recipe for brownies (high altitude deep dish brownies), called for 3/4 cup of butter (about 11gr of flower worth). About half a brownie got me pretty medicated! Next time I think I'll do clarified butter and run it at 220F for an hour. The 190 micro bag that came with mine is not fine enough. I still had milk solids that ended up browning when I re-ran my butter to decarb it.

Love this machine, just wish it had better instructions. Seems silly make a cannabutter recipe that doesn't convert much thc-a.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I made a batch of cannabis infused coconut oil back in October. I used the @MrNaturalAZ method using the MBM. I didn't strain my material. I let the sludge settle to the bottom and poured off the oil. The coconut oil is a deep green color and it tastes strongly of cannabis.

I though it wasn't that strong at the time. I had made shortbread cookies that didn't seem potent at all.

Yesterday I decided to use this oil along with a boxed brownie mix. It called for 1/3 of a cup of oil. I used 3/4 because I wanted to make sure it was strong. I had the temp at 325. After the brownies were done I ate 1/9 of the brownies. They gave off a very strong cannabis taste, not the best flavor. There are 9 brownies I had one.

I was busy and didn't feel anything after a few hours and decided to have another brownie. Shortly after that I started to notice the first brownie kick in.

I was too medicated after a few more hours this was 10:00PM. Decided to just go to bed I slept fine but was too tired this morning. After about 3 hours I finally felt better. I'm curious if cannabis infused oil can get stronger over time?

Last edited:

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
my experience with oil and edibles is the opposite - i find that if i make a batch of infused brownies and keep them in the freezer, after a period of time - weeks - they will begin to lighten up in terms of ferocity.
I have a batch of infused oil from the machine that's infused with both pot and damiana leaf because I didn't have the required ounce. I posted about this a while back. I find that this oil - which I didn't strain either - is pretty much where it was from the day I made it. I can't wait for the promised smaller version of the machine. In the meantime with the oil that i have, when I feel like it I'll swallow a tablespoon and negotiate the slight gag reflex. They're not strong enough to put into a brownies mix but a full tablespoon is more impressive than I expected considering that it's damiana dominant. A few times I made firecrackers the normal standard way but I topped off the peanut butter with a layer of this oil. Any very simple and basic recipes would be valued.

stressed

my adventures with making coconut cannabis oil are in this thread. i eventually settled on eating 2 to 3 capsules and vaping some good weed to get very high. any more and i would get the racing heart, paranoid feeling. fast forward a year or more and i can eat 4 and vape weed and just get a nice high. i think my tolerance has gone up a bit. :)

it's still good though. i baked some lovely chicken thighs, left them on the stove to cool and promptly took a nap. a few hours later i wandered out to the kitchen and i could have wept. i really wanted some chicken but not enough to get food poisoning.

i still have 8 oz of two different genetics. i see the prices for this stuff in the medical cannabis stores and laugh. such rip offs.

B0NES

Hmm, got kicked out the Magical Butter facebook group right after making a post about my experience with it compared to the crockpot method, stating that the crockpot method was more efficient than multiple runs I had on the MB. I guess they don't like honest feedback/criticism :doh:

Oh well, honestly the magical butter is inferior to the basic crockpot method. Both require zero effort whatsoever on your part, while the crockpot method seems to give me WAY more potent oil. I needed 6tbsp with MB runs to even feel a thing, while crockpot=1/2 tsp and I get pretty medicated.

I recommend for those of you who are interested in the magical butter, to give the crockpot method a try before spending $150+ on this junk. Way cheaper and more efficient in my experience.

B0NES,

killick

But I like it!
Once it's been christened it's called a 'pot crock'...

Regarding the MB it's recommended that you decarb first. Plus there are a bunch of different ways to run it, so if you don't have success with one you can try another next time and see if it's more to your liking. I find the MB to be more convenient, and I use it for a lot more than just butter. The 'clean' cycle does a great job of a heatless 3 minute wash of frozen material, for those of us lacking the mobility to give it adequate agitation manually.

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Hmm, got kicked out the Magical Butter facebook group right after making a post about my experience with it compared to the crockpot method, stating that the crockpot method was more efficient than multiple runs I had on the MB. I guess they don't like honest feedback/criticism :doh:

Oh well, honestly the magical butter is inferior to the basic crockpot method. Both require zero effort whatsoever on your part, while the crockpot method seems to give me WAY more potent oil. I needed 6tbsp with MB runs to even feel a thing, while crockpot=1/2 tsp and I get pretty medicated.

I recommend for those of you who are interested in the magical butter, to give the crockpot method a try before spending $150+ on this junk. Way cheaper and more efficient in my experience.
Sorry to hear they kicked you off. Unless you were slamming the MB, I can't understand it.

You aren't the only one who prefers the crockpot method. We have a few members who have posted that in this thread. But the majority of those who try it like it. I guess it's just to each his own.

The one thing I will say is that MB does not give proper instructions with the unit. If you don't belong to the group, you miss out on the 'actual' instructions of how to use the machine. For instance, the decarb that @killick just mentioned was something the MBU folk figured out a few years ago. The machine itself does not do an adequate job of it. But it still hasn't hit the manual.

I reached out to them to try to get them here on the forum, but they appear to be uninterested.

rickross

Is there a consensus on how long to Decarb in the mb2e, and how long the next low temp cycle should run?

My plan was to:

1. Decarb in mb2e at 220 with 1 ounce of bud and 2 cups of oil for 1 hour, should I be doing 2 hours? I read conflicting information.

2. After the Decarb, I add 2 tablespoons of Lecithin and I was going to run at 160 for 8 hours.

3. Now on the United forums, they were saying to run 2 x 8 hour cycles with an overnight rest in between, is the second 8 hour cycle necessary? Is the rest necessary? What is the science behind this?

Looking forward to your recommendations!

rickross,
Top Bottom