1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Magical Butter Tempature

Discussion in 'Cooking with Cannabis' started by ButterMan, Aug 13, 2014.

1. ButterMan

ButterMan New Member

Hello all you fine folks I'm new here- but not new to making butter :) I too have purchased a magical butter machine- I've been reading all the MB threads but I'm noticing nobody is talking about the temps they used. So if you respond to this thread please be sure to list your ratio and the tempature used. For example my first batch was 1oz to 1lbs of butter @ 160 degrees. This produced a light colored butter that is mostly THC-A (this is by design BTW) due to the light decarb at 160. I have a high tolerance so I tend to make my butter as strong as possible. I've noticed a common thread between those who's butter came out weak- they all used 160. The 160 temp did not make strong enough butter (mostly THC-A and not activated THC) so I'm thinking of putting the strained butter and the mark (the sludge) back in the MB and running it for an hour at the 220 or 250 temp setting. Has anyone made butter using the 220 or 250 temp setting? How much butter and meds did you use? And for how long at what temp? How effective was it?
    Thanks All! Peace

2. fft

fft Member

I dont have a magical butter machine but have been using a sous vide setup and sometimes a pressure cooker setup to do the same thing. Looking at the butter machine I think the parameters should be very similar.

In the pressure cooker setup I'd put the butter, ABV or fresh, and lecithin in a canning jar and run it in some water at full pressure for 1-2 hours - which equates to about 250F. The extraction worked great and the product definitely works but I then read something about thermal degradation of THC at these temperatures (after decarb) and started to think that it could be too much. But it does work and was my go-to process for a while.

Lately I have been doing an initial oven decarb before cooking at 180-190 in the sous vide. But I've been looking for better data both around decarb and degradation so I can dial in the best process possible. I'd like to be able to decarb as part of the cooking process, but I always wonder whether those old time-temperature decarb charts that everyone points to apply in a wet process (as opposed to the dry process where they were created).

If you do use a 220-250F setting with the magical butter machine you might want to try clarified butter instead (google clarified butter for a simple recipe). Otherwise you may accidentally create "brown butter" by browning the butter solids after the water boils off.

In terms of amount, I try to use as little butter/oil as possible, usually so I just cover the solids. I'm going for high concentration as well so I can make butter caramels. Not sure if thats feasible in the butter machine due to its design since there is a min/max fill line in the kettle.

3. ButterMan

ButterMan New Member

Thanks! But I'm really looking for folks who have experience using the magical butter machine to post here. All other info is appreciated but is not conducive to finding an answer for better MB butter production. Please let's keep this thread open for experienced MB folks. Thanks!

4. fft

fft Member

The processes should be almost identical. All you are doing with the butter maker is doing an extraction at a constant butter/oil temperature, which is the same thing I am doing with my sous vide and pressure cooker setups. So mentioning that part should be conducive to better MB processes. The only differences are I dont have stirring/agitation built in and the magic butter maker isn't sealed. But I agree my setup doesn't answer your ratio question which is specific to the MB due to the min/max lines.

5. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

I made a tincture using my Magical Butter Maker. I used the tincture setting at 160 degrees. I used 20 grams of herb and 30 grams of ABV, and 32 ounces of veg glycerine. I did the decarb on 240 degrees in the oven for an hour before putting into the machine. I also used the Lecithin.

I had it cook for 8 hours. I had a total of 2 and 3/4 cups when finished. The straining took a while to complete. In my opinion I don't think it's strong enough.

I plan on making some gummy candies with it. I have used the tincture to make lemonade because it doesn't tastes very good to drink straight. I've used 2 tablespoon per glass. You can't even taste the tincture that way.

I had previously made coconut oil with just ABV for the one hour. I used the tincture setting at 160 degrees. Way too weak. I may put more coconut oil with it and more herb or ABV and try it again. I just received my Sunflower Lecithin, because that's what they are telling folks to use now. Make sure you keep updated with their recipe. They keep changing things on us. Heres a pic of a glass of lemonade with the 2 tablespoons of tincture.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    charliedontsurf and ButterMan like this.
  6. ButterMan

ButterMan New Member

Hey cool stuff! Nice to see some MB folks responding- I'm going to put my weak butter (1oz 1lbs butter @160) back in the MB with the original sludge and run it for an hour at 220. I will report back on whether or not the potency has increased.

smokie and Puffers like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors