Low-cost, low-tool convection vape

mariowarner

Hi guys,

I'm looking to build a low cost convection vape using the less tools possible. I'd like to be able to control and monitor the heat and idealy it should be an all glass pathway (or at least mostly). From reading some of the threads on this forum as well as on reddit, I think using a halogen bulb as heat source might be the easiest (it also looks pretty cool!). I've read through most threads regarding halogen vapes and made a spreadsheet with the different components as well as some own research, but I somehow managed to lose it (duhhh)............ So here I am, asking for help! :) Maybe your knowledge could spark some ideas and hint me the right way.

So essentialy, what I will need are the following components :
  • halogen + socket (ceramic?) + plug
  • temp sensor (read some good stuff about PT100, maybe linked to an arduino. or a thermocouple? other probes?) (how to fix it? I thought it should be placed after the heat source, just before the herb so I know at what temp it hits the good stuff)
  • screen for temp monitoring (would be nice to have min and max temp saved to see how my drawing affects the temperature)
  • bowl (mostly for microdosing, but should be able to do larger bowls as well)
  • pathway (and vaporchamber, if possible. also, it would be nice if it could somehow go through water, my gf who doesn't smoke as much as I do is very sensitive to vapor heat, this is a bonus though)

For the beginning, esthetics are not very important, I could hide the electronic stuff in a box or something.

All help is really appreciated! Thank you :)

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
@mariowarner It would be hard to use pt100 and still preserve the purity of airpath. Cause thermocuple have cables. You can see how aromed have gotten around it but imo it is not an adequate solution.
Most of the criteria you mention is cover by another obsolite vaporizer . The Ape vape . It had PID ,MOnitor ,Halogen bulb .

I dont think you will end up with a lowcost vaporizer if you want PID, The controllers alone are 100$ each unless you dont wanna mess with building and programming them too.

I advise not to use halogen sockets. They are made from questionable materials ,contacts are often brass. Although it is present in many vaporizers like the Aromed,Venus Apolo,helios etc... But for their price IMO they should have done better than using sockets with brass connectors. Just twist the wires into coils to form sockets and insert bulb there,you can add ceramics if you like.,there are various shapes of insulators available.

Last edited:

mariowarner

First of all, thanks for the replies :)

Thanks! I will reread the thread, I thought it used some tools to make the log.

And if you go through the DIY forums, every often, there's a new design for a butane convection kit that's costs under $20.
The problem I have with butane vapes is temp control... I already have a Vapcap, which I like a lot, but I feel the taste and the effects vary too much from time to time.

I dont think you will end up with a lowcost vaporizer if you want PID, The controllers alone are 100$ each unless you dont wanna mess with building and programming them too.
Well, I understand PIDs are very usefull, but I'm only looking to monitor the heat, not set and hold the exact temperature. The temperature would be controlled by a dimmer. So from what you are suggesting, there would be no devices that are be safe for inhalation?

d:\program

Isolate the airpath from the wires maybe?

Here's my idea using a soldering iron. Someone here on FC mentioned this particular brand as having a ceramic heating element and I guess it's housed inside the metal tube. Why couldn't this soldering iron be disassembled to reveal the ceramic element and then held like a Da Buddha or Life Saber device? Place a glass tube with ground glass connection over the element with the ground glass tip about 3 or 4 inches away?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HAKKO-TEMPERATURE-CONTROL-SOLDERING-IRON-100V-TYPE-FX600-02/173848472928?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

edit: adding this: it looks like the temp control is a dimmer type switch.

Top Bottom