Discontinued Loto Labs Lux (formerly Evoke)

bobwood

For some reason they sent me a pre-production unit in November. Actually they told me it was a pre-production unit after I told them it does not seem to work properly. Was promised to get the proper one once it’s done but now I haven’t heard from them. The pre-prod unit I got was totally worthless with dry herb, you got a couple of puffs but the taste was horrible - like burned plastic/factory.

This whole stunt they did with making it into a concentrate only device is beyond me, especially how they communicated again. Since they messed up the original timeline I’ve told them they need to be honest when they communicate (and even told them I’m a communications professional and can work with them).

Now I’d rather have my 99USD returned than to have a concentrate only device. I hope nobody throws away 400bucks on this thing...

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
t-dub you mentioned in your video that the induction heating gives it good vapor quality. This is definitely, 100% not the case. Whether that heater is heated by a wire or induction, the resulting vapour is produced by conductive heat. This is an indisputable fact and anyone who says otherwise is misinformed (or in the case of LotoLabs, just straight up lying to you).
Yes you are correct. The susceptor and little tube, or rivet, do all of the heating. Concentrate vapes will give a different experience depending on the form the heaters take. This is just another variation that seemed to be ok when I tried it. I have had other concentrate vapes sent to me for testing that were scorchy and had a much different profile than the Lux.
Edit: Main reason I think designs like this are awful is because even if you use a tiny amount it won't use every bit of it in one hit, and if it doesn't all get vaped in one hit it will taste progressively worse every hit after. All the terps and goodies get vaped off almost immediately while the rest of it just kinda bakes and gets grosser and grosser.
There is definitely some merit to what you are saying here. You could see from my last pic what remained of the concentrate after it was spent. To be fair in my test I had great flavor all the way through, however, that was using a lot of medicine and done in one session. Not sure how this is going to translate to efficiency, time will tell. More user reports are needed for sure, hopefully @grokit and others will chime in soon.

Also, I'm not sitting here saying that this device is awesome and that people need to go buy one. What I am saying is that for a campaign where I was sure nobody would ever receive anything, at least we got something that works to a certain degree.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Maybe it might be modded to be an induction heater for our Vapcaps... if it fits!

If I understand well the "susceptor" is a sort of wick/coil but in place to be heated by wires it's heated by induction.... so yes, basically it doesn't seems very different than this old crap vape pens with a ceramic pin with a wire around they sold some years ago for dry herbs and was not good at all .

Although I don't understand how the taste might rest good enough if the heat is applied continuously during the session... especially since @t-dub mentionned a heating delay. Is there any sort of inhalation detection or software t° regulation?

grokit

well-worn member
More user reports are needed for sure, hopefully @grokit and others will chime in soon.
I am getting the feeling that because I had the temerity to select the herbal option,
that I may have to wait until the 12th...
...THE 12TH OF NEVER!

lux_9.jpg

lux_10.jpg
So it has to be said; who on earth besides you is gonna have a huge glob of this sitting around.
I thought you were hooked up for flowers frickin-a:rofl:!
Seriously what does this thing do for us grain of rice types, how would that work?
:hmm:

Last edited:

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Maybe it might be modded to be an induction heater for our Vapcaps... if it fits!
That is a great idea!
Is there any sort of inhalation detection or software t° regulation?
Not that I am aware of but I have someone I will ask about that. What I meant to convey about the temperature is that the the vapor was supple and tasty and seemed to be a lower temp experience when compared to my goto concentrate vape the VB 2.5 multiconverter which runs at about 800*F when dialed all the way up to high. The VB 2.5 hits like a freight train whereas the experience I had with the Lux was cooler and not as devastating.
I am getting the feeling that because I had the temerity to select the herbal option,
that I may have to wait
Well, I also selected the loose leaf version soooo I dunno . . . This is a good reminder for folks though that when the campaign was first underway there were two separate versions of this device, one for loose leaf and one for concentrates. I wasn't until later that the idea of an all in one unit came out. Thats why I may be getting a second Lux eventually.
what does this thing do for us grain of rice types, how would that work?
I have not tried that yet grok, thats generally not how I roll and its why I pointed out in my comments above that I was wondering how this would relate to efficiency. Its going to take more feedback to answer both medicine efficiency and battery efficiency for different users. Thats why we need a lot more user feedback so we can find these things out. In my first hit what I wanted to accomplish was to put a huge gob in there and then fire it up hard and see what happened.

Last edited:

szai

that I may have to wait until the 12th...
...THE 12TH OF NEVER!

So it has to be said; who on earth besides you is gonna have a huge glob of this sitting around.
I thought you were hooked up for flowers frickin-a:rofl:!
Seriously what does this thing do for us grain of rice types, how would that work?
:hmm:

Yeah it looks like a really sad cookie dough.

szai,
Reactions: grokit

Razor

They're sellin 80% shatter for 16 bucks a gram here. Just found it this week. Shit is usually 40 bucks. Grabbed a ton of it.

grokit

well-worn member
They're sellin 80% shatter for 16 bucks a gram here. Just found it this week. Shit is usually 40 bucks. Grabbed a ton of it.
I was thinking that we were starting to get more competitive with the rest of the world's pricing, when I saw I could get a couple of grams of this for $100 on sale last night. Some local vendors are still twice that.

lv2IW2X.jpg

Pretty good stuff, but re price this is ot; maybe this should be in the fuck you !!! thread:rant:!

Don't know how this might work in this particular 'concentrate device', but you never know till you try :rolleyes:

Dammit I want $16 free shatter now :tup:

Razor

I was pretty shocked. Thats the lowest price I've seen. I went back the next day and bought 5 more just in case and they were already almost sold out. Treehoney is the name I believe. Not the best quality but it's by far not the worst either. It looks like the huge supply is finally bringing down prices.

Prices were getting insane too. 5 bucks a gram for shake for a while there. This stuff should all be pretty low priced even with tax since its so easy to get.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Getting back to the Lux . . . ;)

I've been fooling around a bit with smaller loads. One thing everyone should have is a nice set of lab tweezers/forceps for helping to handle the susceptor when it has medicine on it and to fish out the rivet from the capsule. Also useful for putting things back in the capsule as well. The Lux works with smaller loads, after proper preheating, however I have no idea about efficiency over time yet. Keeping the capsule and its contents clean gives better performance. I wish I still had my ultrasonic cleaner it would be perfect for this.

DE-FORCEP__67988.1503517914.jpg

---
t-dub you mentioned in your video that the induction heating gives it good vapor quality. This is definitely, 100% not the case.
I just went back and watched my video. I CLEARLY stated that is was the susceptor combined with the induction that was heating the medicine. Before you misquote me, and go on a rant about how induction is being misrepresented, best watch the video again. Please start at 1:08.

Last edited:

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Message from Neeraj for indiegogo backers . . . :peace:

Dry Herb and ELiquid Support

Hello Supporters:

We just want to clarify a few things for everyone really quick to avoid any hysterical confusion.

We’re doing a few special things for our supporters that we aren’t doing for anyone else. We’ve been doing these things since we resumed shipping again, but, did not want to make a big, public thing about it before it came time to ship your individual units. However, judging by a small minority of emails we’re getting, we think it might be necessary to address this now.

This would have been clarified in an email sent to you when it came time to ship you your unit, as many supporters can already attest:

We will be providing a free, UL-certified battery charger to all our supporters to show our appreciation. Chargers will no longer come included with Loto Lux going forward, and will be sold separately. But, you will get one for free.

All users who selected Dry Herb with their donation will, in fact, receive a Dry Herb Capsule, which is experimental and for which there will be no support on our end thereafter. We have not perfected this capsule, and we chose not to delay any further in order to perfect it. But, it is quite good, and something special we thought we’d give ONLY to our Indiegogo supporters and no one else. Because the capsule is unsupported, if you break it, it cannot be replaced. We know some of you are not big concentrates users (yet), and even though we think that will change once you try concentrates in the Lux, we are actually very proud and happy to be providing this special capsule only you guys, as you’ll be the first and only (for now) people in the world to vape dry herb with the Lux.

Our concentrates capsules (provided with the Lux) do, in fact, also work with liquids. However, we do not officially support E-Liquid for now. The capsules are not leak-proof, and, again, we did not want to delay any further to support this material. Testers report that E-Liquid tastes amazing in the Lux, yet it is something we feel distracts from what our focus as a company should be. Nonetheless, people can vape liquid with the current capsules--they just need to make sure to keep the unit upright when loaded to avoid making a minor mess in their units, and we are not promoting or supporting this functionality. Just saying.

Please do not email us to update your address BEFORE you have received your email confirmation, which will request confirmation that your address is correct. You will still be asked to verify your address again when it is your turn to receive your perk. Attempting to update your address by email before you have been notified, will not in any way speed up the fulfillment process, and may only confuse things.

Bottom line: We made the best portable concentrates device on the planet. Many companies would give anything just to have that. And, we do. If you had made the best car on the planet, then it just wouldn’t make sense to come out of the gate, promoting the fact that it also makes a pretty good boat, especially when that might distract from the “car-ness.” Instead, you’d release the boat feature later. And, if perfecting the boat feature was causing any kind of delay (after you’ve had many, many delays), you likely would not continue depriving the world of an amazing car, right? We hope this is making some sense.

These are things we came to terms with when deciding to resume fulfillment under the concentrates-only banner, and to ensure we waste no more time.

We have always aimed to balance our appreciation for our supporters, with consideration for the future of our company and our technology. We are doing everything we can to show how much we appreciate you all.

In closing, most companies that start out in this world do not make it, to say nothing of crowdfunding campaigns. Everyone on our team has worked tirelessly to defy the odds and deliver something special to the world, and to our early supporters. We are proud of what we’ve accomplished, and this is just the start of many great things to come. We appreciate you standing by us.

Peace, Love and Vaping,

The Loto Labs Team

Baron23

Message from Neeraj for indiegogo backers . . . :peace:

Dry Herb and ELiquid Support

Hello Supporters:

We just want to clarify a few things for everyone really quick to avoid any hysterical confusion.

We’re doing a few special things for our supporters that we aren’t doing for anyone else. We’ve been doing these things since we resumed shipping again, but, did not want to make a big, public thing about it before it came time to ship your individual units. However, judging by a small minority of emails we’re getting, we think it might be necessary to address this now.

This would have been clarified in an email sent to you when it came time to ship you your unit, as many supporters can already attest:

We will be providing a free, UL-certified battery charger to all our supporters to show our appreciation. Chargers will no longer come included with Loto Lux going forward, and will be sold separately. But, you will get one for free.

All users who selected Dry Herb with their donation will, in fact, receive a Dry Herb Capsule, which is experimental and for which there will be no support on our end thereafter. We have not perfected this capsule, and we chose not to delay any further in order to perfect it. But, it is quite good, and something special we thought we’d give ONLY to our Indiegogo supporters and no one else. Because the capsule is unsupported, if you break it, it cannot be replaced. We know some of you are not big concentrates users (yet), and even though we think that will change once you try concentrates in the Lux, we are actually very proud and happy to be providing this special capsule only you guys, as you’ll be the first and only (for now) people in the world to vape dry herb with the Lux.

Our concentrates capsules (provided with the Lux) do, in fact, also work with liquids. However, we do not officially support E-Liquid for now. The capsules are not leak-proof, and, again, we did not want to delay any further to support this material. Testers report that E-Liquid tastes amazing in the Lux, yet it is something we feel distracts from what our focus as a company should be. Nonetheless, people can vape liquid with the current capsules--they just need to make sure to keep the unit upright when loaded to avoid making a minor mess in their units, and we are not promoting or supporting this functionality. Just saying.

Please do not email us to update your address BEFORE you have received your email confirmation, which will request confirmation that your address is correct. You will still be asked to verify your address again when it is your turn to receive your perk. Attempting to update your address by email before you have been notified, will not in any way speed up the fulfillment process, and may only confuse things.

Bottom line: We made the best portable concentrates device on the planet. Many companies would give anything just to have that. And, we do. If you had made the best car on the planet, then it just wouldn’t make sense to come out of the gate, promoting the fact that it also makes a pretty good boat, especially when that might distract from the “car-ness.” Instead, you’d release the boat feature later. And, if perfecting the boat feature was causing any kind of delay (after you’ve had many, many delays), you likely would not continue depriving the world of an amazing car, right? We hope this is making some sense.

These are things we came to terms with when deciding to resume fulfillment under the concentrates-only banner, and to ensure we waste no more time.

We have always aimed to balance our appreciation for our supporters, with consideration for the future of our company and our technology. We are doing everything we can to show how much we appreciate you all.

In closing, most companies that start out in this world do not make it, to say nothing of crowdfunding campaigns. Everyone on our team has worked tirelessly to defy the odds and deliver something special to the world, and to our early supporters. We are proud of what we’ve accomplished, and this is just the start of many great things to come. We appreciate you standing by us.

Peace, Love and Vaping,

The Loto Labs Team
Wow, go to say that strikes me as a large load of self-serving bunk.

Other Side

Retailer
Retailer
"Best concentrate portable on the planet" :rofl:

Regardless of how it performs it could never be the best in my eyes because according to initial reports it takes a long time to heat up and the form factor is ridiculous (oversized with that ugly white plastic mouthpiece).

It's amazing this thing has made it to market in the first place but I don't see it lasting much longer especially at the current MSRP.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
An interesting pic of a beta susceptor that I accidentally received when my Lux came back after having its firmware flashed. As you can see if you zoom in, it has a different texture or weave than the stock part and its thinner as well. This means that the heating profile can be changed by different susceptor designs. Stock part on the left, beta part on the right.

susceptor_beta.jpg

Razor

400 dollars I agree is way too expensive for this unit. There are enail devices that are more portable that are much cheaper. I'm glad I got one for the 79 bucks I did. It'll be a nice conversation piece at least and looks like it'll do concentrate quite well.

Top Bottom