Looking to buy my first vaporizer; any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangelichen

Hi everybody.

I've tried vaporizing on occasion before (think I used a box-type vape and a volcano) but never owned one myself. Getting fed up with smoking and all the throat/lung irritation that goes along with it, so I want to switch to vapes permanently. What I'm looking for:

- Clean hits (very very important)
- Ease of use
- Efficiency (gets most vapor for given input)
- Designed for at-home use
- Relatively thick hits, since I want to vape as quickly as possible and move on to other activities
- Less odor (not sure if this can be controlled)
- Money not an issue so long as I'm getting a quality product

Don't care about:

- Delivery system, since I really have no idea of the pros/cons
- Appearance

Also, any opinions on portable vs. plug-in vapes? Are vapes designed for at home use going to be a lot better for that purpose, or can I get away with something portable?

orangelichen,
Reactions: Kief

OO

Technical Skeptical
You have no idea how awesome you are for already having a list of priorities regarding your purchase.

I think we do need to clarify something first though, vaping can absolutely be more irritating to the throat/lungs under certain circumstances, so that is something worth considering.

It sounds to me like you are in the market for a log vape, as they fit your needs quite well, things to consider between them, some are low resistance, and are intended to be left on constantly, while others are designed to be turned on and have a setting to speed up the process of getting to working temp.

Other things to consider, do you prefer the lighter experience you get when strictly vaping? Or do you prefer an experience similar to smoking? Those are important considerations.

OO,

Bouldorado

I agree that a log would probably work well for you. Do you plan on using the vape with a bong?

Bouldorado,

orangelichen

Actually I would prefer to have the option to get a stronger experience while vaping, but being able to get relatively clean hits when I'd like is a higher priority.

Does a bong significantly improve the quality of hits with vaporizers? Are there vaporizer models that are fairly easy to attach to a bong?

thanks for the replies

After some further research I think I want to widen my search to portable vapes.

orangelichen,

OO

Technical Skeptical
My preference has been for the Hammer. If you pack smaller amounts in , and try to vape it all in a hit or so, the experience is quite strong. If you pack larger amounts in and vape it in multiple sessions, using lower temps, you will end up with a lighter experience.

Either way, you will most likely be looking for these features on your vape: Small chamber, variable temperature, short path length.

Nearly all vapes are compatible with water devices, that is something to consider, but only after the other factors, as you can make anything fit.

As far as "clean" hits, you will have to clarify further, as most materials used in vapes are not questioned as for their cleanliness, or if they are I end up finding out down the line that the concerns are usually the result of a lack of understanding about what is taking place, and there is really no health concern.

That being said, I prefer to research each component after a safety concern is brought up, as it often occurs with components which safety hasn't been questioned in the past, but you never know for sure.

TL;DR cleanliness concerns are generally negligible vape to vape.

I may be misinterpreting your words, so please do clarify.

OO,

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
I would say a log style vape might be the one for you. They give you clean, thick clouds and are VERY efficient with your herb. Obviously they're meant for home use and are very easy to use; there's no learning curve involved. I've also found that they are less smelly than other home vapes I've used.

Crohnie,

orangelichen

Log vapes, then - any recommendations? I've checked out the Underdogs and they look great, but is there a temperature control for those?

orangelichen,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Ah, that is why I originally suggested log vapes, you want one because the learning curve is quite short for them.

I would look for one with an adjustable temperature that way you can choose between different effects.

The way people get them to adjust the temp is to have a in line throttle for the wattage.
Take a look at the Hot Pod thread, it's somewhat short, and features the instrument described.

OO,

orangelichen

The Hammer which you suggested earlier has an adjustable temperature option, right? Looks pretty cool, though are there any downsides to a butane-powered vape? I imagine there will be some smell even if it's not directly in the airpath...

orangelichen,

OO

Technical Skeptical
The Hammer which you suggested earlier has an adjustable temperature option, right? Looks pretty cool, though are there any downsides to a butane-powered vape? I imagine there will be some smell even if it's not directly in the airpath...

The fuel input is adjustable, but temperature is dependent on how quickly you draw, as well as how long you preheat the element for. That is why the learning curve is somewhat long. You also have to learn the correct way to pack it for the best extraction.

Downsides are that the vape does get hot, so it is difficult to pocket it quickly without the box. The smell would only happen if you use butane with additives I.E. odorizers with odors like mercaptones.

I can't detect the smell of odorized butane if the butane has been combusted, but I don't use odorized butane anyways, so there's no smell to begin with.

OO,

way2

Hi, Have you looked at the Solo at all? I just picked one up for $160 and it seems to fit your needs pretty well. It's portable though not very stealthy. It has adjustable temp (1-7), uses small loads, and gives great hits! IMO its very easy to use (if my dopey friends can use it a monkey can!!) and also easily paired with a water tool. I have no complaints with this unit so far(I've only had it a few days but it has had lots of use!) and believe it would be at least worth a look. It's also highly regarded by lots of other FC'ers I'm surprised nobody suggested it yet.

orangelichen

I'm definitely considering the Solo as well, so many options! It looks to me that using any of these portable vapes with a water tool is as simple as buying an appropriate glass adapter and attaching directly?

Thanks everyone.

orangelichen,

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
Log vapes, then - any recommendations? I've checked out the Underdogs and they look great, but is there a temperature control for those?
I own an Underdog and I love it. There is however, no temperature control as such. This can be solved by purchasing a variable voltage power supply. I believe the Enano (another log vape) has a temperature dial, but I've never used one.

Crohnie,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Given the criteria that you stated, my first thought is to recommend the Cloud by VXL. It's pricey, but worth every penny. In my opinion it stands head and shoulders above the rest, so if you like the finer things in life, it might be up your alley.

:peace:

Bouldorado

I'm definitely considering the Solo as well, so many options! It looks to me that using any of these portable vapes with a water tool is as simple as buying an appropriate glass adapter and attaching directly?

Thanks everyone.

Not all, but most.

If you're considering a portable, a solo is probably your best bet, since you can buy a power adapter that essentially turns it into a log vape.

Bouldorado,

max

Out to lunch
In the log category I'd currently recommend the Epicvape e-nano with the all glass wand/stem. Add a 3/8" stainless steel screen to the built-in glass screen and you've got a big bowl and a free flowing air path for nice clean hits. You also have a really nice analog temp control where you can dial in your favorite temp every time. The builder is waiting on a parts delivery though, so if you're looking for an immediate purchase/delivery this isn't a good choice.

Given the criteria that you stated, my first thought is to recommend the Cloud by VXL. It's pricey, but worth every penny. In my opinion it stands head and shoulders above the rest, so if you like the finer things in life, it might be up your alley.
This is a Cannabis Cup winning connoisseur's vape, with no learning curve and nothing in the vapor path but glass and the stainless steel screen. It'll definitely satisfy all your criteria (odor is mostly a matter of controlling how much vapor you exhale) and get you 'vaked' in a hurry.

max,
Reactions: Stu

OO

Technical Skeptical
The heatup times were a concern, which is why I didn't recommend either the solo or the VXL.

OO,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Since he stated that it's for at home use, I don't think the 1.5 minute (Solo) or 5 minute (Cloud) warmup time would be an issue.

:peace:

max

Out to lunch
Are vapes designed for at home use going to be a lot better for that purpose
An AC model is going to give you those big hits for a quick session. The Solo is great for an in between device (home and away) but compared to something like the Cloud or even one of the 7th Floor models, the hits are restricted.

Are there vaporizer models that are fairly easy to attach to a bong?
Most are. You may need an adapter but they're easy to get. Some models are designed specifically for water filtration. The Cloud is (although it can be used dry w/mouthpiece), and unless you already have a nice glass piece, the Cloud/HT package is the way to go. The Hydratube is a unique and ergonomic option- turns the Cloud into a 'one hand free' vaping experience. The LSV (an SSV converted to hand held use) was designed for bong use.

OO said:
The heatup times were a concern, which is why I didn't recommend either the solo or the VXL.
Unless I'm missing something (after another read through), the OP didn't mention heatup time.

max,

orangelichen

The Cloud looks friggin awesome, I may have to get that although the price is a bit steep. Maybe I'll get a portable first and then get the Cloud if I really want it... or I could just splurge on it now... anyone else got opinions on the Cloud? I'll check out the Cloud thread too.

orangelichen,

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
- Clean hits (very very important)

- Efficiency (gets most vapor for given input)

- Relatively thick hits, since I want to vape as quickly as possible and move on to other activities

- Money not an issue so long as I'm getting a quality product

You can also consider the MV, it stands along the cloud in terms of efficiency and is a great home vape that you can also use with battery. It's a really convenient machine

Roger D,

way2

The Cloud looks friggin awesome, I may have to get that although the price is a bit steep. Maybe I'll get a portable first and then get the Cloud if I really want it... or I could just splurge on it now... anyone else got opinions on the Cloud? I'll check out the Cloud thread too.

Hi, I suggested the Solo.... I thought I'd chime in to say if I had the funds I'd buy a Cloud today...like right now!! :D

way2,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom