Looking for Vape Recommendations

Hi All

I'm thinking about getting a new vape and would like to solicit some suggestions. I haven't been following the vaporizer scene as much as I used to so I'm a bit out of the loop.

I currently have a Herbalizer and a Firefly 1. The FF suits my current needs fairly well but I'm probably going to gift it to my parents because they've used it before and liked it, and they would like to have a vape around. I still use the Herbalizer every once in a while, but it's total overkill for my usage/tolerance these days, and I may end up selling it, as great as it is.

Other vapes I've used in the past - MFLB, Arizer Solo, Da Buddha. I don't think I'd go back to any of these.

I used to be a daily user, but my usage has been reduced drastically. I also have a pretty low tolerance and don't enjoy getting too high anymore. It's pretty easy for me to overdo it and I usually prefer a lighter buzz just to take the edge off. Below is a summary of what I would like in a new unit.

-Small/portable. Doesn't necessarily HAVE to be pocketable but that wouldn't be a bad thing either. Don't really want to be tethered to a cord so log vapes are probably out. I've never used butane powered vapes before but I'm not opposed to trying it. Having to rely on a lighter seems kinda annoying but I also dislike having to worry about keeping the vape charged. This is actually one of my issues with the FF since I don't use every day and the battery drains quickly. Takes at least 45 minutes to charge so I need to plan ahead.

-Convection. It doesn't have to be pure convection but with my usage I'm going to want to be able to take 1-2 hits at a time and put the unit down for a while. Seems like convection would better lend itself to this in general. Conduction vapes generally are not "on demand" in my experience (I guess the MFLB is an exception).

-Simple design/easy to clean. Self explanatory. I would like something that is aesthetically pleasing, but that is more of a personal preference/taste thing and not the top priority.

-Efficient, can be used with very small amounts. A bowl for me is typically going to be .05g or less. I definitely don't want a unit that needs more than .1g packed in it to work well. The less I can pack and still have it perform well, the better. This is another complaint I have with the FF - it doesn't work as well with a less than a fully packed bowl. The Herbalizer excels with small amounts but it also hits a bit harder than I would like. I don't know why, but it seems like the Herbalizer extracts way more efficiently than other vapes I've used, which makes it really easy for me to go overboard.

Price is definitely a consideration since I am not a daily user anymore and don't want to invest a ton into a new unit if I don't have to. At the same time, I want something reputable with good quality.

I've done some preliminary research and one vape that definitely caught my eye is the Dynavap Vapcap M. Seems like it would check a lot of these boxes, though as I mentioned, I have no prior experience with butane powered vapes. Some of these "box mod" type vapes also look intriguing, but there's so many of them and I'm not entirely sure which ones would be most worth checking out.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
VapCaps work well and as unregulated they do take some technique. Full disclosure I am purchasing an induction heater to correct this. Regardless, I think every vaper should own one..I've given three M's to friends. Be sure to get a 3-4 flame butane torch, single flame is a bit more difficult to learn. Perhaps a spare lighter as these torches do not cost a lot to make.

If you go with another battery vape, I would recommend getting an 18650 powered vape, spare batteries and an external charger. What is your budget?

Buying an 'M' would sort this out pretty quickly and inexpensively

Last edited:
VapCaps work well and as unregulated they do take some technique. Full disclosure I am purchasing an induction heater to correct this. Regardless, I think every vaper should own one..I've given three M's to friends. Be sure to get a 3-4 flame butane torch, single flame is a bit more difficult to learn. Perhaps a spare lighter as these torches do not cost a lot to make.

If you go with another battery vape, I would recommend getting an 18650 powered vape, spare batteries and an external charger. What is your budget?

No real budget. I would spend more if I felt it was worth it. But yeah the M seems like a front runner right now and the low price is a big draw. I also like the modularity of it.

Which 18650 devices would you recommend?

shredder

Hi All

I'm thinking about getting a new vape and would like to solicit some suggestions. I haven't been following the vaporizer scene as much as I used to so I'm a bit out of the loop.

I currently have a Herbalizer and a Firefly 1. The FF suits my current needs fairly well but I'm probably going to gift it to my parents because they've used it before and liked it, and they would like to have a vape around. I still use the Herbalizer every once in a while, but it's total overkill for my usage/tolerance these days, and I may end up selling it, as great as it is.

Other vapes I've used in the past - MFLB, Arizer Solo, Da Buddha. I don't think I'd go back to any of these.

I used to be a daily user, but my usage has been reduced drastically. I also have a pretty low tolerance and don't enjoy getting too high anymore. It's pretty easy for me to overdo it and I usually prefer a lighter buzz just to take the edge off. Below is a summary of what I would like in a new unit.

-Small/portable. Doesn't necessarily HAVE to be pocketable but that wouldn't be a bad thing either. Don't really want to be tethered to a cord so log vapes are probably out. I've never used butane powered vapes before but I'm not opposed to trying it. Having to rely on a lighter seems kinda annoying but I also dislike having to worry about keeping the vape charged. This is actually one of my issues with the FF since I don't use every day and the battery drains quickly. Takes at least 45 minutes to charge so I need to plan ahead.

-Convection. It doesn't have to be pure convection but with my usage I'm going to want to be able to take 1-2 hits at a time and put the unit down for a while. Seems like convection would better lend itself to this in general. Conduction vapes generally are not "on demand" in my experience (I guess the MFLB is an exception).

-Simple design/easy to clean. Self explanatory. I would like something that is aesthetically pleasing, but that is more of a personal preference/taste thing and not the top priority.

-Efficient, can be used with very small amounts. A bowl for me is typically going to be .05g or less. I definitely don't want a unit that needs more than .1g packed in it to work well. The less I can pack and still have it perform well, the better. This is another complaint I have with the FF - it doesn't work as well with a less than a fully packed bowl. The Herbalizer excels with small amounts but it also hits a bit harder than I would like. I don't know why, but it seems like the Herbalizer extracts way more efficiently than other vapes I've used, which makes it really easy for me to go overboard.

Price is definitely a consideration since I am not a daily user anymore and don't want to invest a ton into a new unit if I don't have to. At the same time, I want something reputable with good quality.

I've done some preliminary research and one vape that definitely caught my eye is the Dynavap Vapcap M. Seems like it would check a lot of these boxes, though as I mentioned, I have no prior experience with butane powered vapes. Some of these "box mod" type vapes also look intriguing, but there's so many of them and I'm not entirely sure which ones would be most worth checking out.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Your probably on the right track with a dynavap. It's ussually mentioned as a good micro dose vape.

I usually kill a load in two hits, and that's a full dynavap load. If you were to get a ti tipped dynavap you can set the bowl size to one of three choices. And a vong or a glass stem with a ground glass end would give you a water option. All in one small vape. My daily driver is a ti tip on a @DDave water wand and ddave's small water pipe.

I love my induction heaters. It makes things so much simpler.

Last edited:

little maggie

Just to add to some of the on-demand vapes not mentioned: mistvape 2 uses the 18650 battery and the iheat uses a box mod. If you don't need a small size portable you might check out the tubo evic. It's a great portable that contains a box mod. The software gets updated regularly. A couple of advantages are that you can use it on demand or set a specific time in cruise mode. Once you use the tubo using a box mod will make more sense.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I wouldn't recommend the Tubo since it's expensive and uses a larger diameter heater with pretty generous sized ground glass attachments.

A titanium tip vapcap like the omnivap or omnivap xl would be a great choice. I like mine best with an induction heater. The Jarhead or Portside Mini from @Pipes make the VapCap experience more elegant and consistent for me. I'm on the list for a Fluxer Deluxe portable induction heater too. Those should be shipping pretty soon from what I've heard.

I'd also recommend the Lil Bud with a glass-lined stem. I love mine and it's perfect for taking a hit or two and saving the rest for later.

You might also consider a Splinter. There's a promo running for the new made in China model that won't be ready for a few months. I find the airflow to be more suitable than my Tubo X for on demand convection with smaller loads. It's also cheaper and works with a bunch of affordable mods.

While it's a session vape by default, I also get use out of my Fury 2 with the bent glass stem for microdosing. You can think of the Fury 2 device as a little heater and just cap it on whatever half filled glass accessory you prefer to take just one or two hits. The Fury 2 has the advantage of being simpler to use than the box mod vapes.

Last edited:

Moses Baca

Colorado State Reformatory #8755
I love my VapCaps. The M starter pack will get you everything you need other than a can of decent butane.

I haven't tried an IH yet but I'm on the waiting list for a Flux Deluxe. The triple flame torch I got from DV works great.

little maggie

Just want to add that I disagree about the tubo- it is large as it accmodates a box mod. But I microdose with mine and the glass attachments are no different from those on the other on demand vapes- other than the MVT. I use them interchangeably with the milaana and splinter ones. The advantage, as I said, is that it gives you control over many aspects that the other on demand vapes don't. As for the fury- it is a great little vape. But you didn't say why you don't like the solo. They are a bit similar except for the restriction.

People who don't mind butane love their vapcaps. I gave up on mine until I got a heater so I don't need butane. I still end up using the MVT more than the others right now while I wait for a box mod for my splinter 2.

Vaporware

A VapCap sounds like the right thing to me too, especially because you don’t want to worry about batteries. It’s primarily conduction, but since it heats up and cools down so fast it can be used for 1 or 2 draws and put away to finish later.

If you like the battery powered on-demand convection options a lot of people are throwing out though, the Nomad is one you shouldn’t miss!

Mookie0608

You won’t go wrong with the mighty, not meant to be offensive just saying it’s literally a dummy proof vape no matter how you use it your going to get stoned.

I love mine I’m starting to grow more towards smoking now, but it has served me well. My only complaints being

1. Messy so started using dosing capsules and there amazing they really are but then you have a lot of work to do or at least for me because I probably have 200 capsules today I’m like yeah no this is too much work because it was time to empty them and clean them so that’s that but I still love the vape and will probably stick with using the capsules just wish they were not so expensive other wise I would just throw them away and be done with it.

2. I wish it had a bigger more user friendly bowl.

3. Maintenance is annoying to me. When using dosing capsules it’s the little things that really piss me off it’s just how I am the capsules will get stuck to the top cooling unit, and the u it reaks over time needs to be cleaned after each use and the screens are so over priced yet 3rd party screens really don’t sit well and if it doesn’t sit perfect like my 10 pack I got for 50 cents at some store like the stock screens just seeing it not sitting still pisses me off so I brokedown and paid the $20 for screens.

I have a pax 3 as well I hate it but I just love how easy is is to load and u load it. I wish the mighty was that way just grind the bud scoop it in and be done with it no mess nothing.

Lately though minus nights I been smoking it’s so much better then vaporizers. Just grind your bud pack a bowl and smoke it that’s it. There’s no fiddling with saving avb that’s useless to me empty the ash from smoking the high from smoking is so much better it relaxes me more where with my vaporizers the highs seen more functionable but often times they will keep me up, and they seem to make my ptsd symptoms worse. I know the strains I had lately screw with me the wrong way actually got really high a few nights ago and was ready to call it a wrap. That’s just my personal preference though and I know many other people similar to me that are either bipolar have ptsd chronic pain etc and smoking just beats vape 100% of the time. People on here tried getting me to try new vapes and I have but at the end of the day I just think I have to combust to get the results I am after. I fired my firefly 2 yo the other night and omg I loved the high but I was combusting and yes there was ash but the high was out of this world amazing where for me maybe it’s just my body but vaporizers get me more stoned but in the head. I been getting lost in space lately and it’s literally just the head where smoking the body effects are so much better. Another one of my issues is anxiety and that’s why I cannot do edibles anxiety and edibles don’t mix well for someone like me that naturally expects and thinks the worst. I couldn’t control a bad edible high but I can control a intense and if I lose it it’s easy to get back in control with smoking or vaping.

Mookie0608,
Reactions: CANtalk
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Your probably on the right track with a dynavap. It's ussually mentioned as a good micro dose vape.

I usually kill a load in two hits, and that's a full dynavap load. If you were to get a ti tipped dynavap you can set the bowl size to one of three choices. And a vong or a glass stem with a ground glass end would give you a water option.

Thanks. I'm probably not going to be using water. I dabbled with it in the past but it's not for me. I keep it simple with dry use only. Regarding the Dynavap bowl size, does it require a "full pack" to work correctly? How big is the standard bowl in the M vs. the three options offered by the Omnivap?

At the moment I am really keen on the RBT Splinter Z, but that said you might look at the RBT Milaana 2 or Lil Bud by Vapewood to avoid having to figure out a mod. They are both on demand, but also could support session use if you ever want to do that.

Thanks. I did have a look at the Milaana and it seems like it could be an option.

A titanium tip vapcap like the omnivap or omnivap xl would be a great choice. I like mine best with an induction heater.

What makes the Omnivap better than the M? The price is significantly higher and puts it closer to the price of the box mod vapes mentioned so far. I'd probably go with the M since it would be my first foray into butane powered vapes and don't want to invest more than I have to upfront.

I love my VapCaps. The M starter pack will get you everything you need other than a can of decent butane.

Yeah, the M starter pack seems like a good choice so far.

Just want to add that I disagree about the tubo- it is large as it accmodates a box mod. But I microdose with mine and the glass attachments are no different from those on the other on demand vapes- other than the MVT. I use them interchangeably with the milaana and splinter ones. The advantage, as I said, is that it gives you control over many aspects that the other on demand vapes don't. As for the fury- it is a great little vape. But you didn't say why you don't like the solo. They are a bit similar except for the restriction.

I liked the Solo fine when I had it. My biggest complaint with it was the draw restriction. But I also don't think a vape like that is the best choice for me anymore because it's more of a session vape.

You won’t go wrong with the mighty, not meant to be offensive just saying it’s literally a dummy proof vape no matter how you use it your going to get stoned.

Too much of a session vape, I think. Also the bowl is way too big.

letter never sent,
Reactions: arb

little maggie

I know fury 2 is a session vape but I use it one demand- it heats very quickly and shuts off quickly.

Also if you get a vapcap and don't like the butane aspect the induction heater I bought from @Pipes is great. Not great for portability but heats vapcaps perfectly. I have several different vapcaps and have no problem microdosing with them.

Little Bill

Oldest stoner on FC
So could someone provide a link to an induction heater for a vapcap or to a discussion thread of same?

Little Bill,

Vaporware

:uhh:
xenfracture.png
:disgust:

@Little Bill Pipes has a thread here - http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vapcap-induction-heater-for-desktop-and-in-car-use.23211/

Fluxer Heaters has a thread http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/fluxerheaters-com-new-induction-heaters-for-dynavap.33573/ and a website https://fluxerheaters.com/

If you want portability, check out the Flux Deluxe and/or the Portside Mini.

@letter never sent The Omni is not necessarily better than the M; there are people who prefer each one. It is more expensive to make though (materials and labor).

I’ve only measured load size in the Ti tip with a medium grind from the Chewy 2, so you can fit more than this with a finer grind, but I believe the 3 settings were about 0.01g, 0.05g and 0.075g. I’ve seen others say the smallest setting held 0.015g, probably using a finer grind or packing it down more.

You’ll get the fastest extraction with your material closer to the end of the tip (like if it’s full), but you can use a smaller amount loose in the tip even with the M. Some people even drop in a little unground nug and let it bounce around in there.

Now to the possible downside. VapCaps all have a lot of draw restriction. The Ti tip is a little more open than the SS tip that comes with the M, but with either a lot of people like to “mouth pull” like they would do with a joint. I’ve never smoked so I still haven’t gotten used to doing that, but it is also possible to go straight to your lungs if you can handle the restriction. Personally I can take it, but I do generally prefer the wide open draw of the FlowerPot. I think the mouth pull technique is probably the best way of using the VC, so I’d recommend trying that if you get one.

If you think you can deal with either method, I’d recommend an M, a NonaVong, or an M with a Ti tip if you want to keep it between $60 and a little over $100.

Not everyone is happy with VCs, but most like or love them. I think just about everyone should have one since they’re a nearly indestructible and always ready to go option, so I think it’s worth a try. :)

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
@letter never sent to add to @VaporWare comments, the M is stainless and stainless retains heat better than titanium, but it is also slower to get to temperature. The titanium of the Omni is less of a heat sink and heats in half the time, but also cools in half the time. I prefer the Omni because of this, less heat up time.. it’s also quite a bit lighter.

You might look over the VapCap resources @Squiby has so kindly put together to get a better idea of what the VC is all about:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/dynavap-vapcap.18853/page-1529#post-1327229
Degummed Hemp Fiber: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/dynavap-vapcap.18853/page-295#post-1034430
Vapcap First Aid Kit: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/dynavap-vapcap.18853/page-1528#post-1327211
How Much Herb?: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/dynavap-vapcap.18853/page-534#post-1107184
Vaping Concentrates: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/dynavap-vapcap.18853/page-628#post-1122587
Vapcap Cleaning: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/best-of-dynavap-vapcap.24345/page-2#post-1163943
All About Tips: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/best-of-dynavap-vapcap.24345/page-2#post-1261500
O-Rings: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/best-of-dynavap-vapcap.24345/page-2#post-1286887

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I'll defer to Little Maggie about the Tubo for microdosing since I'm still pretty inexperienced with my box mod vapes. The two of us agree that the Fury 2 can approximate on demand use with glass accessories like I described. The draw resistance is also more open than the Arizer vapes.

And yeah, the mouth pull technique with vapcaps is not an ideal accommodation for someone who doesn't like the tight Arizer draw resistance.

I like the Fierce, Mighty, Splinter, Fury 2, and Lil Bud draw resistance and still enjoy my vapcaps. FC has a ton of vapcap devotees who use them as their daily driver. I love mine as an efficient option with a great ritual (especially with the induction heater) but I like session vapes better for sharing and on demand convection vapes better for flavor.

Thanks all. Can anyone comment on the draw resistance of the Dynavaps vs. the OG Solo?

I'm still strongly considering pulling the trigger on an M starter kit - given the price it is pretty low risk.

I've also been looking at a couple other butane vapes - the Lotus and the Sticky Brick Jr. How do these compare with the Dynavaps in terms of efficiency? Can you micro dose with these? The Sticky Brick Jr. looks like it has a pretty large bowl, so I'm not sure.

letter never sent,

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
VapCap, VapMan, RBT Splinter, Sticky Brick Jr. and maybe a Supreme V3. The last one is nothing for on the go but small enough to carry it to friends and to use it with a J-hook a/o WT. All of them have a superb taste, perhaps the VC and the Splinter a bit less but still great.

Hogni,

little maggie

The solo has more draw resistance than the vapcap. If you're checking out other butanes you might check out the dreamwood vapes.

little maggie,

Moses Baca

M Starter Pack is on sale direct from DV right now for $99. For that price just buy one and be done with it. You won't regret it.

Moses Baca,
Reactions: Squiby

Moses Baca

Congrats!

I got great results right away with mine. It took my wife awhile to get the hang of it but she's a pro now.

Top Bottom