• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Looking for a portable log: Milaana or MVT

Rrose Selavy

log enthusiast
Hey guys long time no see. I have been on a very long break and have cut down my collection substantially. But I have missed you all and could not stay away. So, now I am looking for one portable to meet my needs.

First of all I apologize for the "which one" thread. I have done my research and searched through FC, but I am still looking for some help from the great people on this site.

To help me pick I will give you some more details. I have used many vapes over the years and have learned that I am a fan of on demand convection vapes. I also prefer "manual" control.

My favorite vapes have been my original ff which recently died. Though the batteries were pricey and the resistants less than ideal. And of course the Hi. Hands down my favorite vape. Unfortunately as my use has gone down and my situation has changed I no longer need a desktop and she will need to find a new home.

So here we are. I am looking for a vape that will most closely replicate the log experience.

At this point I am leaning towards the Milaana.

SPECIFICS

Use: I tend to like to take my time and have slow sessions and if I had to assign an ideal temp it would be some where from 365 to 385. Though a couple of big rips are great at times.

Efficiency: is very important to me, but it seems these two will take care of that no problem.

Battery power: I assume they are evenly matched. Since the batteries are swappable it's not a major concern. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Style and build: I like the Mi as I prefer the overall look, tactical button, and sliding door. I do like that the MVT has the mouth piece slightly recessed, 14mm, and a window for the heater.

Build quality: I am not that aware of the specifics here so maybe you can shed some light. Is there a difference with how medically safe the two devices are e.g glue and other metals and materials in the air path.

Kill switch: It seems like both of these have safety features for the battery. Is this correct? I know you can add it to the MVT. Am I correct that the Mi uses the guitar pick piece for safety. If you any of you could explain this in further detail I would greatly appreciate it.

Availability: I can get the MVT in puffitup which is great. It seems like there are a few Mi's left on the site. Man the Walnut looks great. After that the Mi will no longer be made? Or maybe production is just paused?

Company: Both of these companies seem to have great guys running them but customer support and warranty are of course of high importance. Can anyone share their experience? I like that Dave is focusing on one product and makes wooden protected stems. The Mi teams seems to be moving forward with the splinter and Zion which is great. But I hope they can still focus on the Mi customers.

If you made it to the end. Thank you for reading and I appreciate your insights.

Rrose Selavy,
Reactions: chimpybits

little maggie

Did you check out the Tubo? I find that most log like. It has software so you can set the temp range you want and turn it totally off. Plus Alan at HI is just building a true portable log- it's in the insta Heat thread. I have all 3- tubo, MI and MVT and as I said I use the tubo most. MVT second most. My MVT came with an off switch on the bottom.
You can order the tubo via the tubo thread here. And Alan from TT is giving the portable as an option when your name comes up on his list,

Last edited:

Rrose Selavy

log enthusiast
@little maggie I actually did check out the tubo, but it seems a little bigger than I would like. Stealth is by no means a priority, but i do have smaller hands and I would like to put the device in a jacket pocket or small bag. Maybe it is not as large as I think it is?

The other thing is I am not really familiar with mod boxes which it seems both of these require. Maybe I am just afraid to adapt, but i have really found I enjoy the manual approach of playing with distance and draw speed. Even though I do love Alan's work. I am curious how long the wait list is at this point.

I really appreciate your suggestion though i am still leaning towards the Mi or MVT I will look into the tubo more. Do you find it easy to use? and is there a waiting list?

May I ask why you prefer your MVT over the Mi?

Rrose Selavy,

little maggie

The tubo is a bit bigger than either MI or MVP. Much smaller than the zion. But it fits in my jean pocket and I, unfortunately have tiny hands. I know nothing about mod boxes and I can understand being nervous about that. But it's unnecessary. I know basics about it- 5 pushes turns it off; 2 turns on cruise mode which means I don't have to push the button for 90 seconds. Otherwise push the button for on demand pretty much like the MVP and MI.I think it combines that kind of automatic setting with being able to control distance and draw speed. I also like the lovely whips that come with it. And funky junky will help with any issues via the conversations. I don't think there's really a waiting list except that he makes them when ordered so you can choose the colors.
Once I realized I like whips I ordered one from Alan for my MVP. Not as attractive but works well.

I got my MI when they first came out and have a couple of newer versions of it. I really like RBT's work. And I'm not sure I have the most recent version which may be why I prefer the MVP. But my MIs gets hotter when I use them than the MVP does. Hotter both in that the wood gets warmer than I like and also the vapor is hotter. I use water or whip or both so the MI works. But if I'm going to use 18mm I use my tubo and if I want 14mm I use the MVP.

Rrose Selavy

log enthusiast
Thanks. I will keep that in mind.

I am glad you found that whips work well for you. To each there own. I personally have never been a fan. Though, if you are looking for cooler vapor I am sure they help substantially. :peace:

Rrose Selavy,

little maggie

I think that whichever of the 2 you end up with will be satisfying. They're both great vapes.

little maggie,

Rrose Selavy

log enthusiast
Thanks again. I really like both and they are both available now.

So hard to choose :doh: Does anyone else have any input?

Rrose Selavy,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Milaana was more like a literal portable log for me. I like the Milaana better in general though - I ended up selling my MVT sadly :(

They're both great though.

muunch,

Rrose Selavy

log enthusiast
Thanks @muunch do you find it easy to light micro sessions with the Mi or is it exclusively a hard hitter? Ideally I would like to be able to change my approach to achieve low and slow sessions when I want.

Rrose Selavy,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Pretty easy to do whatever you like with it imo, depending on draw speed, and length - and of course how much you put in. A 14mm reducer and 14mm stem (@DDave sells the kit that I and many others use) makes it subjectively better for microdosing, but I like the increased surface area and airflow of the 18mm myself.

I meant the milaana was more like a literal log in terms of vapor quality btw - they're both technique-dependent of course, and I had a bit more trouble using the MVT which factored in.

The MVT would be better if you solely intend on microdosing, possibly.

The MVTs killswitch is far, far superior to the guitarpick 'killswitch' of milaana... The build quality of both is very good. I personally prefer the look of the quilted maple MVT to the plain maple Milaana but some of the other woods are quite nice.

I think whichever you choose will be good.

Milaana will be better for larger hits or if you're an everyday fairly heavy user.

MVT is possibly better for solely microdosing, and it's also probably better if you intend on using it out a lot, due to the killswitch.

I don't want to seem like a proponent for one or the other, the matter is clear that I use my milaana still and sold my MVT, but I had more trouble using the MVT and only sold it cos I buy too many vapes like a dummy so need to cycle :shrug:

Last edited:

turk

turk
...also have both...also love both...no bad choice here...it may easier to microdose with mvt....but....I'm sure you can also do that with the milanna...I have 2nd or 3rd gen mil...sooo....mine gets hot...quickly...there is no wrong choice here...imo

turk,
Reactions: KeroZen

Rrose Selavy

log enthusiast
Thanks @muunch I completely understand. Normally I would just by both and sell one, but my consumption has become much more sparse than the past. Since they are more similar then different, I figured it was best to ask here.

@turk would I be correct in assuming the latest generation does not have asa much of an over heating issue?

Also can either of you better explain the idea behind the Mi killswitch is the pick effective. I wont be out and about too much but I would like to be able to leave it in my pocket for an hour or so if i must.

If both of the killswitches allow me to do this I will go with the Mi if not the MVT

Edit: Clarification

Thanks

Last edited:
Rrose Selavy,

turk

turk
...don't have the latest...if the latest is 3...I have two...if the latest is 4, I still have two...I apologize but I haven't kept up with recent gen of milaana...but I do know there's at least 1 past mine...anyways, my unit gets plenty of heat...and quickly...
...with my mvt...I use a two screen method...the initial basket screen...than herb/hemp with concentrates ...than a 2nd basket screen on top....sweet!

turk,

Rrose Selavy

log enthusiast
@turk gotcha. I am a big fan of double screens myself. Can you shed some light on the Mi killswitch? With the pick mod are you able to leave it in your pocket for an hour or 2? Or is it not really built for that?

Thanks!

Rrose Selavy,

turk

turk
...I never....leave vapes in my pocket....ymmv....I just don't do that...and for me there really is no reason to.

turk,

Rrose Selavy

log enthusiast
@muunch The pick killswitch is now standard with the Mi correct? So is there anything that the killswitch on the MVT allows me to do or makes easier?

@turk I completely understand it is definitely not a common occurrence for me. Normally I would remove the batteries and put it in my bag. But sometimes things happen so I just want to understand the limitations.

Rrose Selavy,

turk

turk
...yes ...things happen soooooo....I just never see a reason....to put a vape...in my pocket...it's asking for trouble....both mil and mvt use glass stems....if you put glass in your pocket....well...
...guess I should add...without a case....I've put a firefly2 and others...that had cases...and couldn't just....turn on.

turk,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Pick is standard afaik. @cannabis.pro would know for sure. He just got a few Mi in to sell today.

I prefer the killswitch bc short of hardware failure, it will always work.

I guess I worry too much but the pick could fall out of place or something... idk... it's really not an issue the more I think about it.

muunch,

Rrose Selavy

log enthusiast
Thanks everyone I am going to go with the Mi. I will be sure to be very careful with it.

Rrose Selavy,

turk

turk
...won't regret it...the mi. can knock your ass out...if you're not careful:rockon:

turk,

virtualpurple

I would suggest looking at the tubo Evic. It is like a digital version of the MVT or milaana, you can rip or sip, you can completely rule out the chance of combustion, this thing is the real deal!

virtualpurple,
Top Bottom