Looking for a portable gong style vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nosferatu

I currently have a cloud and since then stopped searching for other vapes. Well I finally got to the point where the cloud can't meet all my vaporizing needs, so I come to FC. I looked through alot of threads to try to find something that meets my needs, but figured i'd ask also just so I don't miss anything.

I'm looking for a vape that is small and portable(doesn't have to be cordless if it heats up quick) that is made to be used with a waterpipe. This would be the travel or car vape, I'm not looking for a discreet on the street style portable. I have narrowed it down to the gnome, supreme vape, or any of those vapocane style vapes. Problem is they need butane. Am I missing something or are there any battery powered vapes made to just stick in an 18mm gong that can give lung busting rips. I can settle with a cord if the device is small because I'm not going anywhere with a waterpipe anyway.

I would be open to a vape like the Solo if it is known to attach easily and work well with bubblers or bongs. Any input would be great as I search away for something to go along with my cloud. Thanks!

mod note: You've been here long enough to know-
Vaporization Discussion

Vapor related but not model specific - thread moved.

dorkus_molorkus

I feel the solo would meet those specs. It gives lung busting rips as a matter of course, I just put a small bit of tubing on the end to mate it with either a WPA or it'll sit just fine in a bowl at the right angle to get the seal right.

i used a solo as my daily driver for ages, and it was more than up to the task. But then I went onto log vapes to use at home, but the solo is my travel vape hands down.

hope this helps.

dorkus_molorkus,

hoptimum

The solo would fit your requirements well, IME. It's the size of a red bull can without the glass stem attached so it's eminently portable, albeit not necessarily stealthy. It's powered by a lithium ion battery which you plug in to charge, so no worries about butane. Charge lasts a couple of hours, more or less. The stock stem mates well with 14 mm and you can use a water pipe attachment if need be. Also, it might be an interesting contrast with your cloud.

hoptimum,

Nosferatu

Hmm good tips guys, everyone says the Solo. Is the draw pretty restricted on the new models? Also have all the quirks been worked out? i did have a launch model for a little bit but ended up selling it because it was being problematic.

treecityrnd

Is the draw pretty restricted on the new models? Also have all the quirks been worked out? i did have a launch model for a little bit but ended up selling it because it was being problematic.
Ditto. Had a M102 (not original ceramic, but SS) and wasn't satisfied with the restricted draw and vapor production. But I'd like to try again because of my current vape needs. Seems the restricted draw can be solved with one of Ed's stems or the PV HE stems? It looks like there is M1A... models now? Any consensus on the best "new" model or any variations in the new M1A... vs. M10...? And how can you beat $160!?!?

treecityrnd,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I'm looking for a vape that is small and portable(doesn't have to be cordless if it heats up quick) that is made to be used with a waterpipe. This would be the travel or car vape, I'm not looking for a discreet on the street style portable. I have narrowed it down to the gnome, supreme vape, or any of those vapocane style vapes. Problem is they need butane. Am I missing something or are there any battery powered vapes made to just stick in an 18mm gong that can give lung busting rips. I can settle with a cord if the device is small because I'm not going anywhere with a waterpipe anyway.

I would be open to a vape like the Solo if it is known to attach easily and work well with bubblers or bongs. Any input would be great as I search away for something to go along with my cloud. Thanks!

It always puzzles me when someone asks for advice and gives specific requirements and people jump in recommending something that clearly doesn't meet them. He wants a unit that is made to be used with a waterpipe. The Solo isn't. He wants 18mm connection. The Solo is 14mm.

The only vaporizer on the market right now that meets all of his requirements is the VaporBlunt 2.0. DLX, which comes with its own water tool.

pakalolo,
Reactions: Tweek

treeman

True the Vaporblunt 2.0 is the only one specifically made for 18.8 connections but with a 18.8mm GonG stem from PV the solo mates beautifully with glass, it looks really neat and works excellently, especially considering what it costs.

treecityrnd

He wants a unit that is made to be used with a waterpipe. The Solo isn't. He wants 18mm connection. The Solo is 14mm.

PVHES 18mm GonG solves all these problems? It may not be "made" to work with a waterpipe but it meets necessary and sufficient conditions?

I would be open to a vape like the Solo if it is known to attach easily and work well with bubblers or bongs.

... but with a 18.8mm GonG stem from PV the solo mates beautifully with glass, it looks really neat and works excellently, especially considering what it costs.

The trees have spoken.
“The Lorax: “I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues. Which way does a tree fall?"
The Once-ler: Uh, down?
The Lorax: A tree falls the way it leans. Be careful which way you lean.”
Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

treecityrnd,

Nosferatu

Ditto. Had a M102 (not original ceramic, but SS) and wasn't satisfied with the restricted draw and vapor production. But I'd like to try again because of my current vape needs. Seems the restricted draw can be solved with one of Ed's stems or the PV HE stems? It looks like there is M1A... models now? Any consensus on the best "new" model or any variations in the new M1A... vs. M10...? And how can you beat $160!?!?

I want to know all this as well. If the new Solos aren't faulty like the near launch models and it has a gong connection I will reconsider it. $160 is a good price!

The only vaporizer on the market right now that meets all of his requirements is the VaporBlunt 2.0. DLX, which comes with its own water tool.

Thanks just what i was looking for, I'll start researching this "vaporblunt", i remember hearing it was good.

Do you want it to attach directly or is whip tubing ok?

Not really down for whip, thanks though.

What is your price range?

No real price range I will wait to get the right vape if i have too, but no, I'm not talking MiniVap price range!

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
In my experience, the Solo +PVHES GonG provides much, much thicker vapor than the VB 2.0 with PonG attachment. It's really not even close tbh.

:peace:

edit: the GonG (cone) gn0me can blow them both away, as can the Supreme. However the battery operated units are more convenient as there's no torch to deal with.

dorkus_molorkus

It always puzzles me when someone asks for advice and gives specific requirements and people jump in recommending something that clearly doesn't meet them. He wants a unit that is made to be used with a waterpipe. The Solo isn't. He wants 18mm connection. The Solo is 14mm.

Cmon Pak, isnt this critisism just for the sake of critisising?

I used my solo with an 18mm bong all the time, sometimes with a WPA & sometimes just the bowl that came with the bong. The only modification required was a 1/2 inch piece of tubing on the stem of the solo.

I suggested it because i feel it did fit the specs he outlined, if only he has access to a tiny piece of tubing.
I didnt realise tubing was rare over there thus rendering anyone who has reccommended the solo a goose.
cause thats how it comes across & we are just trying to help

I read plenty good hey? :)

dorkus_molorkus,
Reactions: hoptimum

dorkus_molorkus

:) lolz- fair enough, just checking, my mistake.:)

as always, its been great chatting with you.:wave:

Phew-I got outta that easy. :tup:

mod note: Waving goodbye at a moderator must mean you want to be banned. 2,765 warning points issued!

dorkus_molorkus,

Nosferatu

In my experience, the Solo +PVHES GonG provides much, much thicker vapor than the VB 2.0 with PonG attachment. It's really not even close tbh.

edit: the GonG (cone) gn0me can blow them both away, as can the Supreme. However the battery operated units are more convenient as there's no torch to deal with.

Just the kind of info I need. I had what I believe was an M103 Solo and it certainly did not produce good vapor and the battery life wasn't too good. Unless I had a faulty one and the new ones are better, I did'nt really care for the Solo. I like the idea of the vaporblunt, i wish it wasn't so new.

Honestly though I am looking for something that can rip like a desktop vape(LSV or Cloud). Not something similar to an MFLB or Iolite. I'm surprised you say the VB 2.0 can't. I am thinking the gnome or supreme are more what i am looking for, even if I have to use a torch. In that category of gong lighter based vapes, is the gnome the new category leader?

Nosferatu,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I have a gn0me, supreme and vapocane. Of the three the gn0me is my favorite, but the supreme gives more consistent fat rips since it has a thermometer built it. I wouldn't bother with the vapocane as the gn0me is very similar but just a better mousetrap IMO.

Stu,

Nosferatu

Ok cool I think the gnome it is. So the VB isn't as good, that is surprising, it looks like it gives fat rips? Or is it better just as a portable for direct draw? I have always liked the idea of the supreme...I can't believe we don't have a vape the size of the supreme that reaches vape temp within minutes, made for gong, that runs on battery. I guess there is no such device? Must I invent it?

Nosferatu,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
The VB is conduction-based, so it doesn't lend itself to fat rips through glass.

Here is a quick video I shot demostrating its use with water. Notice how quickly the vapor thins out to virtually nothing.

Stu,

Nosferatu

Interesting, conduction based is like the MFLB right? Convection being hot air passing over the herb like a Cloud? What would that make the Solo?

Nosferatu,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
The Solo has more convection, but still has some conduction going on, too.... As do many other vaporizers to be fair. The VB 2 has no pre-heating of air entering the bowl, while the Solo does have some. IMO this allows for fuller rips. The VB has very little restriction while the Solo does strongly restrict airflow. This also accounts for differences in consistent vapor production in my opinion.

Stu,
Reactions: Kief

Nosferatu

Hmmm good too know, thanks for all the help man. I guess the Solo and VB aren't really what i'm looking for, but rather the supreme or gnome. I will wait on getting a full out portable in the Solo category, see what comes out soon.

Nosferatu,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
One other inexpensive option would be a VG Coil. Works great by just dropping it in any downstem and using a flame or torch lighter. Under $40. It's a functional bargain IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom