Long time lurker w an efficiency (PD/Zap/Mflb) ??

GO!!bot

oh hi board :lol:
I have a SSV now but am eating through my stash wayyyy too fast so I was looking to get a more efficient vape. Is the magic flight capable of the small purple-days like bowls?? I don't really see the magic flight mentioned up there with the log vapes when people recommend efficient vapes, is there a reason for that? Does the MF need a little more than the average PD/Zap/Wdz bowl to make it enjoyable?? I have baby tolerance so my SSV is kinda overkill. REally only like a pd like bowl is needed to make me ramble on and on.. ohh

so to those with both vapes, could you chime in, pleeeasse? I have like 2 bills I can drop on either a pd/zap/wdz kit or a MF with a power adapter and want the right one!! Hmm choices choices...

:p

GO!!bot,

Nycdeisel

The MFLB is one of the more efficient vapes out there, and with their power adapter(will be released fairly soon, beta testing in still going on) it can be comparable in some ways to other home units.
edit: Guess you already knew about the MFLBPA, next time I should read the entire OP first :lol:

I was using a DBV for a while and noticed the same thing, and now I am enjoying my PD, however I will say this: it was a pretty rough transition for me, from a whip type vape to a log type vape, but now I have it all down and I 'get it' so Im thoroughly enjoying my PD :)

Nycdeisel,

CombustionJunction

What's Your Function?
You CAN be as efficient with the MFLB, but it tends to like just a little more. IMO, the PD does more with less. But regardless of which you choose, you will have a great vape. It just comes down to whether you want a great portable or a great home vape.

CombustionJunction,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I have both the MFLB and the MZ. Of the two, the MZ is the most efficient. The up side of the MFLB is the portability, but it does use a bit more herb. The MZ is crazy efficient with herb, but doesn't reach the temps that the MFLB can, especially now that there is a power adapter. (I do not own a PA yet, but plan to get one.) I find them to be good companion vapes as each suit a different need and are used daily. But, if I had to choose between the two, I would probably go with my Zap.

momofthegoons,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I have the SSV, PD's and LB's. I would say the PD is most efficient of the bunch for conservation. I think the LB can be used pretty efficiently but the PD has an edge. Either one would help conserve over the SSV for sure.

I only use the SSV for big party fun... as a daily driver it would be too costly. It can go through some herb.

Actually I would say get both a log vape for home and a LB for portable to have all conservative bases covered. If you can only get one I'd go with what would be better for your situation - home use or portable.

Lo,

max

Out to lunch
I don't really see the magic flight mentioned up there with the log vapes when people recommend efficient vapes, is there a reason for that?
The recommendations are good ones, so I'll just put in my :2c: on the efficiency concept. When discussing efficient vapes it can be confusing. The vaporization process is simple and most vapes can do a good job of avoiding waste. Even the simple but hard to use homemade lightbulb vape can be efficient. It's the hard to use part that makes efficiency difficult, since there's little margin of error when it comes to controlling the temp. A second too long with the flame application and you can go from vapor to smoke.

The log vapes have a small bowl and no temp adjustment (aside from the new OCD model), so you get nice hits with no chance for going through the bowl too fast due to overcooking. With the LB much more herb can be loaded and you have to be careful in controlling the temp, so it can be easy to overcook and lose efficiency.

Although vapes like the SSV have a temp control that makes things easier on that end, the bigger bowls and cooling distance you get with whips encourages the user to take bigger hits. The best way to be efficient with both LB and SSV is to use small amounts in the bowl (less in the LB). You get hits that are effective but they're small and less satisfying during the process. You can't really feel the small hits like you can with a log vape. You have to wait for the effects of the hits. So it's not that the log vape design is more efficient with herb use, it's just easier to be efficient and it provides a more satisfying vaping experience when using small amounts. I can load my SSV with a tiny amount of herb and set the temp at the same approximate level of a log vape, but it's not designed to be used with tiny amounts and it becomes a somewhat frustrating experience when used that way. And if you load the same amount in the SSV that you can put in a log vape bowl, a lot of people will end up taking it all in one hit. The log vape requires you to use several hits (at least) to vape the same amount.

So when you include the 'enjoyable' requirement, I'd say the log design is a better fit for you. With the LB, you can get hits with more punch and higher temps, but it's easier to get the combo of conservation and enjoyment with the log design. I'd still encourage you to keep the LB on your list for later, if you have any desire for portable use (or those times when a storm knocks out your power).

max,

steiner666

Serial vapist
I always use 1/2 trenches in my LB, which are about 1/2-1/3 the amount of my normal ssv load. But each 1/2 trench is probably 2-4x the size of a stem load. I suppose you probably could use a stems worth in the LB and get a somewhat satisfying result though.

They're both great vapes, and i'd highly recommend getting one of each :) One thing i will say though, they're pickier on what type of herb you use with them than the ssv. LB wants drier and more finely ground herb than the ssv requires, and the logs seem to kinda just laugh at you when you load them up with mids or lower in my experience. basically, if your herbs good, the log will show you how little you really need to get the effect and you'll be very happy with it, if not, it could be more of an inconvenience than anything as you'll be having to possibly load multiple stems and take more, thinner hits to get to the same place as 1 ssv bowl gets you.

steiner666,

shantytown007

Out of the vapes I use regularly, i'd rate them:

(most efficient) PD -> MFLB -> Ubie ----> SSV (least efficient)

(Thickest Cloud) SSV ----> PD -> Ubie -> MFLB (lightest cloud)

shantytown007,

GO!!bot

max said:
I don't really see the magic flight mentioned up there with the log vapes when people recommend efficient vapes, is there a reason for that?
The recommendations are good ones, so I'll just put in my :2c: on the efficiency concept. When discussing efficient vapes it can be confusing. The vaporization process is simple and most vapes can do a good job of avoiding waste. Even the simple but hard to use homemade lightbulb vape can be efficient. It's the hard to use part that makes efficiency difficult, since there's little margin of error when it comes to controlling the temp. A second too long with the flame application and you can go from vapor to smoke.

The log vapes have a small bowl and no temp adjustment (aside from the new OCD model), so you get nice hits with no chance for going through the bowl too fast due to overcooking. With the LB much more herb can be loaded and you have to be careful in controlling the temp, so it can be easy to overcook and lose efficiency.

Although vapes like the SSV have a temp control that makes things easier on that end, the bigger bowls and cooling distance you get with whips encourages the user to take bigger hits. The best way to be efficient with both LB and SSV is to use small amounts in the bowl (less in the LB). You get hits that are effective but they're small and less satisfying during the process. You can't really feel the small hits like you can with a log vape. You have to wait for the effects of the hits. So it's not that the log vape design is more efficient with herb use, it's just easier to be efficient and it provides a more satisfying vaping experience when using small amounts. I can load my SSV with a tiny amount of herb and set the temp at the same approximate level of a log vape, but it's not designed to be used with tiny amounts and it becomes a somewhat frustrating experience when used that way. And if you load the same amount in the SSV that you can put in a log vape bowl, a lot of people will end up taking it all in one hit. The log vape requires you to use several hits (at least) to vape the same amount.

So when you include the 'enjoyable' requirement, I'd say the log design is a better fit for you. With the LB, you can get hits with more punch and higher temps, but it's easier to get the combo of conservation and enjoyment with the log design. I'd still encourage you to keep the LB on your list for later, if you have any desire for portable use (or those times when a storm knocks out your power).

AAAH I see. My friend has a MF and I do notice that sometimes we might get 5 hits, sometimes 6, and other times like 3. I guess it is hard to control the temp with just breathing and this can cause scorching. I think I might pick up both eventually just to start a collection hahaha.

Looks like its a log vape for me now!! Dang now I have to sort through 3 threads and hundreds of pages to make my decision on which one. thanks all!!

GO!!bot,

GO!!bot

steiner666 said:
I always use 1/2 trenches in my LB, which are about 1/2-1/3 the amount of my normal ssv load. But each 1/2 trench is probably 2-4x the size of a stem load. I suppose you probably could use a stems worth in the LB and get a somewhat satisfying result though.

They're both great vapes, and i'd highly recommend getting one of each :) One thing i will say though, they're pickier on what type of herb you use with them than the ssv. LB wants drier and more finely ground herb than the ssv requires, and the logs seem to kinda just laugh at you when you load them up with mids or lower in my experience. basically, if your herbs good, the log will show you how little you really need to get the effect and you'll be very happy with it, if not, it could be more of an inconvenience than anything as you'll be having to possibly load multiple stems and take more, thinner hits to get to the same place as 1 ssv bowl gets you.

this suits me perfectly. I usually only buy a gram or two of headys from the dispensary and that will last me a good 2 weeks with the ssv. I usually pack a 1/4 size bowl, take a hit, then eventually forget that I'm even vaporizing hahaha. I come back to the same load throughout the day if I'm around. My tolerance is that low that one hit makes me zone out for minutes at time. Can't wait to order the log vape :D

GO!!bot,

Nycdeisel

I would say its mainly between the MZ and PD, but its up to you!

there are a few main differences between the two.

The MZ has a screen so that herb cant fall down past the heat exchanger, its also a bit cheaper, uses brass in the stems, and ships a lot faster then a fully assembled PD would. I think the wood on the PD is cleaner looking IMO.
In addition, the diameter of the stainless steel tip of the stem/bowl is a bit bigger on the PD, meaning that you wouldnt be able to use a PD stem on an MZ, but you could use an MZ stem on a PD(though I dont know why you would want to do the latter)

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Nycdeisel,

steiner666

Serial vapist
GO!!bot said:
this suits me perfectly. I usually only buy a gram or two of headys from the dispensary and that will last me a good 2 weeks with the ssv. I usually pack a 1/4 size bowl, take a hit, then eventually forget that I'm even vaporizing hahaha. I come back to the same load throughout the day if I'm around. My tolerance is that low that one hit makes me zone out for minutes at time. Can't wait to order the log vape :D

oh yeah, then a log is definitely the right vape for you. i constantly forget whether or not i finished off a stem or not :D

Nycdeisel said:
I would say its mainly between the MZ and PD, but its up to you!

I can't think of a single reason, other than some sort of strict ethics or zealous fanboyism, that would exclude the Woodeez from being a contender. It provides the exact same functionality as the aforementioned vapes, only at a lower price and with less of a wait. Aside from the MZ coming stock with a screen (which you could put in a PD/WDZ yourself anyway), varieties of woods to choose from, and minor cosmetics, can someone point out a difference between the 3?

I'm not trying to be aggressive about it or start some log brand battle, I just find that a lot of end-users really dont care about the history of the manufacturers and who's standing on who's shoulders, and most probably dont care what type of wood is used as long as an ideal temperature is maintained. Instant (or at least closer to instant) gratification and saving money are much greater concerns for most. And if you blindfolded someone and had them vape a stem out of each of the 3, i'd be amazed if someone could distinguish a difference.

steiner666,

Nycdeisel

Sorry man, I had completely forgotten about the WDZ for a moment, I have nothing against their products. How do you like yours? I dont know much about them tbh, so is it just like a PD in most ways, and no screen?

Same here man it seems like Im always hitting a stem! :ko:

Nycdeisel,

lwien

steiner666 said:
And if you blindfolded someone and had them vape a stem out of each of the 3, i'd be amazed if someone could distinguish a difference.

If I gave someone a bag that came off of a 'Cano and a bag that came off of a Phantom, I doubt that they would be able to distinguish the difference either.

There are differences between all three log vapes. I guess it all comes down to how important those differences are for each prospective buyer. Each vape has their fan base and for some, they could care less of any subtle differences there may be. Not a right or wrong here............just different.

lwien,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Nycdeisel said:
Sorry man, I had completely forgotten about the WDZ for a moment, I have nothing against their products.

nah, its cool. I tried to express that i'm not taking it personal or fanboyishly defending my choice out of the three. Just honestly wanted to know if anyone who's maybe used all 3 can point out any substantial differences between them. Also wanted to make sure that the OP realized those things, because i think a lot of people exclude it from recommendations like a bastard stepson for no legitimate reason.

Nycdeisel said:
How do you like yours? I dont know much about them tbh.

I definitely like it a lot. I took a 2 day T break before the wdz showed up (a coincidental dry-spell) and then acquired some really nice stuff on the day it got here so it hit me really nice right away. But I could see some people having a bit of trouble transitioning from comparatively heavy-hitters like the 7th floor vapes and HA (or even combustion, for that matter) to the less-cloudy log hits if they didnt do it the way i did. It was like going from gluttony to starvation to a well-balanced diet lol.

steiner666,

Nycdeisel

I feel the same way, it took me a while to really appreciate what the PD can do, since prior to that it was DBV every day. I wont get into my transition from combustion, as that took QUITE a while.... :D Im glad that I (almost) never smoke anymore.

Nycdeisel,

pinoy

PACQUIAO!!!
I own a mflb and a WDZ, and if I had to keep one it would be the mflb. Instant vapor, portability, and stealth are very important to me. WDZ conserves more bud, and you never have to worry about combustion. Also the WDZ works as a nice diffuser. But I love taking my mflb out in crowded places and getting high without anyone knowing.

pinoy,

Gunky

I have a Cherry PD and a Walnut Woodeez. Apart from the wood choice, they are pretty much identical. The non-metal portion of the vapor tubes is a different kind of plastic on the two vapes. The PD had marginally better 'fit and finish' but I find no significant difference between the two.

edit: removed some subjective impressions.

Gunky,

panspermia

Newbie here looking for advice, and I chose this thread since I put efficiency high on my priorities. (Reads funny. Sounds like I'm opening a corporate board meeting. I DON'T care about THAT type of efficiency. :) )

I would get a Purple Days from my reading here on FC, except I smoke, and believe I will vape, rarely more than once a day, generally more like 3 or 4 times a week. So having something you always leave plugged in just seems ... unnecessary and undesirable. I also don't need heavy hits. I usually just put a tiny amount -- a single leaf or two from good bud -- in a water pipe, and then do it a second time with another leaf or two; and I'm good and done.

From the description on this thread, I'd prefer something more efficient and better for smaller hits than the MFLB, but not needing so long to heat up as the Purple Days. (Even 10 or 15 minutes would be cool with me, but 45 is too much.) Any suggestions?

panspermia,

Nycdeisel

Hey panspermia, welcome to FC :p

First off, why are you smoking leaves? Assuming you are using cannabis.

All of the log vapes(the PD, MZ, and WDZ) all retain more heat over time. If you only let it heat up each time you used it, you may not get great results because the heat retention is part of the design. I have gotten better and better vapor ever since I got my unit and plugged it in just over a month ago.

Most vaporizers take either a few minutes to heat up, or quite a while like these kinds of vapes.
the MFLB is still a great choice you may want to consider, if your not looking for heavy hits and dont want to wait to vape(the MFLB heats up almost instantly so you must be cautious not to combust).

Good luck, I hope you end up with the right choice!

Nycdeisel,

lwien

panspermia said:
....having something you always leave plugged in just seems ... unnecessary and undesirable.

A PD/MZ only draws about 8 watts of power...........equal to 2 night lights.

lwien,

panspermia

Thanks for the welcome. :)

Maybe "leaf" isn't the right word. When you pull a bud apart, there are lots of tiny, tiny crystal-covered leaf-like little filaments. I can get off on just one or two of those, sucked down through a water pipe and well-held. The way I do it, with a torch lighter, there isn't even any smoke in the room when I'm done, neither from the pipe nor from my exhale.

My first vape use was just this past weekend. (And, yeah, those weren't once-a-day sort of days visiting my friend with the vaporizer. Hey, it was novel, and an old friend.) It was a Vapir No2, and I really liked it. But researching on the 'net makes me think there are probably alternatives I'd prefer (though his has none of the problems I've read other users reporting on FC).

Maybe I just have to decide between the Purple Days and the Launch Box; but I thought maybe there would be another option worth considering. Heck, I'm probably hoping someone will say something that will make it so I don't have to make that hard choice between them!

(I'm also thinking of getting a V-Tower for my Dad who has cancer, is undergoing chemo, and has never smoked pot, or even a cigarette; not sure he'll go through with trying it, but he seems somewhat receptive.)

Nycdeisel, btw, If I'm remembering correctly, it's to you I almost posted a thank you on another thread a couple days ago, before I registered with the forum. Were you the one who posted a click-on movie of your bubbler? I really enjoyed it! I thought it would make a nice loop running on a TV like some people (or so I've read) put aquarium footage on their TVs.

panspermia,

panspermia

lwien said:
panspermia said:
....having something you always leave plugged in just seems ... unnecessary and undesirable.

A PD/MZ only draws about 8 watts of power...........equal to 2 night lights.

Yup, I know. (It was some of your posts on another thread that first made me give the PD serious consideration. Some guy was giving you a hard time about always recommending the Purple Days, and you replied something like, "Hey, you asked for efficiency, and I was trying to make you happy!" I was going to go back to that thread, but couldn't find it. So I posted here.)

I know it's not much electricity, and it's stealth insofar as it can look like a diffuser, but I just don't see having the thing around out on a table and plugged in all the time if I'm only going to use it every couple days. Were I smoking more frequently, I'd find it perfect. I'm still tempted to get it.

panspermia,

Nycdeisel

Well when you switch over to vapor, EVERYTHING changes.

Those small trichome covered leaves are referred to as 'sugar leaves" as opposed to the big old fan leaves you see everywhere(the 'weed leaf' thats on everything).

panspermia said:
Thanks for the welcome. :)

Maybe "leaf" isn't the right word. When you pull a bud apart, there are lots of tiny, tiny crystal-covered leaf-like little filaments. I can get off on just one or two of those, sucked down through a water pipe and well-held. The way I do it, with a torch lighter, there isn't even any smoke in the room when I'm done, neither from the pipe nor from my exhale.

My first vape use was just this past weekend. (And, yeah, those weren't once-a-day sort of days visiting my friend with the vaporizer. Hey, it was novel, and an old friend.) It was a Vapir No2, and I really liked it. But researching on the 'net makes me think there are probably alternatives I'd prefer (though his has none of the problems I've read other users reporting on FC).

Maybe I just have to decide between the Purple Days and the Launch Box; but I thought maybe there would be another option worth considering. Heck, I'm probably hoping someone will say something that will make it so I don't have to make that hard choice between them!

(I'm also thinking of getting a V-Tower for my Dad who has cancer, is undergoing chemo, and has never smoked pot, or even a cigarette; not sure he'll go through with trying it, but he seems somewhat receptive.)

Nycdeisel, btw, If I'm remembering correctly, it's to you I almost posted a thank you on another thread a couple days ago, before I registered with the forum. Were you the one who posted a click-on movie of your bubbler? I really enjoyed it! I thought it would make a nice loop running on a TV like some people (or so I've read) put aquarium footage on their TVs.

Yes I did post a couple clicl-on videos of my vapor bubbler in action. What do you mean running on a loop? But thanks! :p

Im sorry about your dad, I think an Extreme Q may be better for him cause he would be able to choose between the bag or whip, but on another level he might like a log style vape better. I would get him both!
Or maybe an EQ plus a WDZ or MZ so he wont have to wait. I think there is absolutely no reason that a cancer patient should not try cannabis. A vaporizer is perfect, He may be turned off by smoke.

Stay away from Vapir products, please.

Holding your smoke in that long is probably bad for your body. In general, vapor is ok to hold in for a while, smoke is not.

If its between the PD and MFLB then thats what it is! I have both and they are very different. If your looking to fully convert to vaporizing(which it seems like you are, having only tried vapor for your first time VERY recently and already looking for your own!) you may eventually want both units, but they are very different but they each serve their purpose very well.

Nycdeisel,

panspermia

Running on a loop means making the end loop back to the beginning so that a short video can run endlessly and seamlessly.

Yes, I'm quite sure I'll be a total convert. As far as holding the smoke, well, um, I smoke a few cigarettes a day, so I've already got the damage happening. Thinking of quitting. Thinking, in fact, that maybe I should promise to quit and make a vaporizer the reward.

Yes, my Dad doesn't like smoke itself. We did try once, a couple months ago, when he was getting bad pain but nobody had yet figured out it was cancer. You have to picture a father and son squeezing into a bathroom, the father with a walker, hiding from the Mom and trying to do a bowl! :lol:

I'm going to look for a thread that explains why someone would prefer a bag, rather than hijack this one. It's sure not intuitively obvious to me though I've bumped into comments indicating it's better for partying (not relevant to my Dad's situation) and maybe for medical.

panspermia,
Top Bottom