Log vape owners - Do you leave it on 24/7?

steiner666

Serial vapist
My WDZ is on it's way. I got it because I like to evenly spread my stash out throughout an entire day to maintain a constant level of medication, rather than just blasting my face off a couple times a day (not that theres anything wrong with that :brow: ). So the small load size and always-on design of the WDZ (or any log vape) sounded good.

What I'm wondering is whether I should unplug it overnight or literally leave it on 24/7? I was going to get one of those outlet timers and set it up to turn it on an hour or so before i get up and shut it off when i normally go to bed. Then I realized that it may be worse for the unit to do this because it could cause some level of thermal stressing or something, going from being hot to cool and vice versa every day. Especially considering the fact that its winter here and I let my place get pretty chilly at night while i'm under the covers.

So would going from 325-370F (or whatever they normally run at) to 50-60F, sitting for a few hours and then going back to vaping temps be better or worse than just maintaining the constant vaping temp? State what you think and why. I'm interested to hear the opinions of ppl who have spent a lot of time with their log, as well as ppl who built theirs. Since they're all so similar, I thought it would be better to create a new thread here rather than just post my question in teh WDZ-specific thread, so I could get opinions from a larger sample group.

Also, how often do you treat the wood?

:peace:

steiner666,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
I've had my zap on 24/7 since the first time I plugged it in....it will be fine. the warming and cooling really depends on the wood from what ive read. Ive heard of people using a light timer to have it turn on and hour or so before they wake up or intend to use it, the back off

I went polish crazy the first week or 2 but now I do it once a week

JDSupreme,

finch

yay some here when I unplug my mz it rattles like maracas. I'm guessing this happens often? still runs ok so I don't really care. I also want to a pd, but when I do I'm going to leave it plugged in 24/7 to help prevent this from happening early

I hope it doesn't get jealous when the OCD gets here!!! :o damn i'm excited for xmas this year

finch,

aero18

vaporist
finch said:
yay some here when I unplug my mz it rattles like maracas. I'm guessing this happens often? still runs ok so I don't really care. I also want to a pd, but when I do I'm going to leave it plugged in 24/7 to help prevent this from happening early

I hope it doesn't get jealous when the OCD gets here!!! :o damn i'm excited for xmas this year

Haha, mine rattles even when it's turned on. Maybe it's because I drop it all the time. :lol:

aero18,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
It's like my Mac, I have not shut it off since I bought it.

Tstat,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
My original PD is on 24/7 and has been for over a year now. No problems, no rattles.

Lo,

lwien

Used to. Now I turn it on an hour before I vape and turn it off when my head hits the pillow. Sometimes, I forget though. :uhoh:

lwien,

Nosferatu

I dont think the rattling is from leaving it on 24/7 its from the heatsink being loose because of dropping and skaking of the vape. So when its plugged in and hot the wood tightens and might hold it more in place. But a PD left on 24/7 that was never moved would not shake when you unplug it. If you get what I'm saying. :rolleyes:

Nosferatu,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I leave my PD on 24/7. I would rather have the wood under constant heat. I personally don't want to put any stress on the wood from having it constantly expand and contract with the coming and going of heat.
My pd will rattle when its unplugged... but only when it is unplugged. That is actually how I can tell if its not running warm as it should be. (sometimes mine gets accidentally unplugged) If I hear any rattle of any sort it means the temp is dropping. But when its plugged in and running both the wood and metal has expanded enough to cause the rattle to cease. I rarely drop my PD.

DevoTheStrange,

baurman

The PD is designed to run 24/7, so that's how I prefer to keep mine. Ready to vape the instant I need it.

baurman,

hereatlast

Other than bringing it up or downtairs my PD(s) always stay plugged in, its a gift and a curse IMO :D

hereatlast,

lwien

masbanji92 said:
I dont think the rattling is from leaving it on 24/7 its from the heatsink being loose because of dropping and skaking of the vape. So when its plugged in and hot the wood tightens and might hold it more in place. But a PD left on 24/7 that was never moved would not shake when you unplug it. If you get what I'm saying. :rolleyes:

I have NEVER dropped nor do I shake my PD and it rattles when cold. My assumption still remains that it occurs from internal wear and tear from constant heat being applied to the inside when left on 24/7 and is the reason that I no longer do this.

lwien,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
lwien said:
masbanji92 said:

I have NEVER dropped nor do I shake my PD and it rattles when cold. My assumption still remains that it occurs from internal wear and tear from constant heat being applied to the inside when left on 24/7 and is the reason that I no longer do this.

I'm on the exact opposite side of thought than you. I believe turning it on and off causes more wear n tear. Constant expanding and shrinking of wood and metal to me is just a small process of each material constantly hammering into each other on a consistent basis.
With constant pressure of being turned on, the heat radiates outward to the surface of the vape.
With the on and off there are small moments where the heat is not radiated out to the surface while the wood and metal are expanding. Going to have a little pocket of superheated air until everything expands into place.
Only reason that lead me to this thinking is I used to turn mine on and off, and every few weeks or so my clip would be loose without having dropped it, and would have to reseat it. This lead me to believe the internal cavity was slightly growing.
Sure there is some cooking of the wood going on, but it is under constant pressure. If you allow it to cool, eventually a space will open. Giving the wood some breathing room. Its this breathing room what would allow for charring, blackening, of the wood. And with each on/off the gap gets bigger, although on a micro scale.
Ever notice wood that has been used near heat that has metal in it, where the metal is tight there is some burn damage, but not much. And if the metal is loose, there is even more damage to the wood. So to me, in my head, that is what I see happening with an on off cycle. could totally be wrong

DevoTheStrange,

lwien

VERY good points Devo and you may be right. Logically, what you said makes sense also.

lwien,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I haven't done this but there's a procedure and a tool for hammering the heat exchanger back into place to stop the rattling. I would appreciate a little how to video that shows how this is done. If this is just basic occasional maintenance and if this is a very minor procedure which I think it is, then it really just becomes a personal preference regarding keeping it plugged in all the time or not. I keep mine plugged in 24/7 unless circumstances demand putting away all things vapor related which is in constant rotation in my world.

jeffp,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Yeah i started off thinking it would be better to unplug it at night but starting to think about how much just the change in room temperature alone effects my guitars, so i imagine with even more drastic of temp fluctuations there would be even greater expanding and contracting. So far i've been just going with plugged in 24/7/

Another thing, I was was wondering about the long-term effects of having a beer-koozie/coozy/whateverthefuck on a log vape at all times. Like, I thought they might be worse for it because its supposed to increase overall temp but maybe having the extra layer of insulation will help the wood because the temp on the inside surface temp on outside surface wont be as far apart. I'm sure its not too huge of a difference either way, but i still wonder.

steiner666,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
my non expert opinion is that the koozie whatever the fuck is not advisable for a 24/7 deal because it concentrates the heat and holds the heat in unnaturally or in a forced way.
i went the koozy route for a day or two and it didn't really feel right. as is is perfect enough.

jeffp,

Nycdeisel

I agree, fuck the koozy thing. It would not be good for the wood if there was too much heat being retained.

I have been leaving mine on for a few days now, I like that its always getting warmer!

Nycdeisel,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Nycdeisel said:
I agree, fuck the koozy thing. It would not be good for the wood if there was too much heat being retained.

I have been leaving mine on for a few days now, I like that its always getting warmer!

yeah fuck the koozy thing. it's already set to the right temperature by design. if or when you want hotter vapor you're probably better served with a variable temp whip vape.

jeffp,
Top Bottom