Log battle, E nano vrs underdog

Status
Not open for further replies.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
For portability and adjustable heat, I'd highly suggest the nano. I take mine out frequently. Just throw it in the muslin bag it comes in and off you go (remember to let it cool first!). No need to bring a vvps. Then again, if you are using a standard (non adjustable) wall wort, you've got essentially the same to carry.

Customer service issues with nano are seldom due to poor craftsmanship on the nano itself. The issue is that when you have a problem, or a question, it can sometimes be a PITA to get a response - or you may get the wrong accessory in your order. This has been getting much better in recent months. And, I think the communication issue is now a thing of the past if you email directly to Andy's assistant. A bonus, or consolation, is that you get to keep what was wrong and/or they usually throw in something extra if there was a problem.

For instance about a year ago I got a different stem than what I ordered. It took a couple emails and an IM to get it straightened out. Once I had communication, the new one came priority shipped (2 days) with a bag of extra screens for my trouble ($5 freebie). Plus, I got to keep the initial wrong one that I recently gifted to a friend who loves it! Again this seems to be less of a problem as time goes on, but there are still a couple hiccups. For the most part now, gripes are due to people not reading when they order. They think two day shipping means 48 hours from moment they order it will be on their doorstep. Website plainly states your order will be shipped within 48 hours (business days) and usually take 2 - 3 days in shipping.

As far as customer service after your order, Epic has been great! Rare now, but there have been a few instances of cracked nanos that are replaced quickly with no questions asked. I had a cord/dial go bad (old style first gen cord after more than a year of daily use and sometimes abuse). It was out and back to me across the country in 8 days. Not only was cord replaced (with new better one), but inside was updated and outside got a refreshed finish. Now with removable cord, you would just need a new cord shipped to you for this problem.

The HI continues to call me. I've been on the list for a little more than a year, and hope my number will be up soon! Alan, the creator, is quite a cool guy. He takes his time and seems to include much love in every one he produces, hence the long wait. Totally cool IMO. This is the most recent page in the 200 plus page thread. (looks like @SSVUN~YAH beat me to it!) Check it out. There is much love for him and the HI, and he posts all kinds of cool shit about it, the many stems he has and keeps adding, and all kinds of stuff. Though they do pop up in the classifieds from time to time, they go really fast! Doubt I will retire my nano if/when I finally get one, but be warned..... after reading most of the thread I just have to have one of my own!

NinjaMindTriks

Ninja Vapor Enthusiast
I don't own a E-NANO, but I feel like I would miss the nylon stems I use in my UnderDogs. I really like the how they fit right into the metal stem in the dog. I rarely use the glass gong and I thought that would be what I would mainly use. I just prefer the inside vs outside stems and the nylon work great with 14mm glass pieces. I always use a VVPS. I like the control over the temps. I have experienced the best customer service ever with them. I don't think you'll regret either one, but I like having more options with the UnderDog.

MrStrickland

@flotntoke Why would the nano be more portable when the underdog twigs are smaller? Wouldn't the person who wanted a "portable" log be better going with the option where it can be any size they wanted? I'm only mentioning this because I wanted a smaller log, and was able to get one smaller than the enano which was one of the main reasons I went with the UD.

Walter Bishop

@flotntoke Why would the nano be more portable when the underdog twigs are smaller? Wouldn't the person who wanted a "portable" log be better going with the option where it can be any size they wanted? I'm only mentioning this because I wanted a smaller log, and was able to get one smaller than the enano which was one of the main reasons I went with the UD.

He did address that in his post.

"No need to bring a vvps. Then again, if you are using a standard (non adjustable) wall wort, you've got essentially the same to carry."

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped

I only meant from the aspect of not having to take your VVPS with you if you wanted adjustable heat/temp. I know they are small, but think the nano with it's cord would be a smaller pack with less to keep track of - pretty sure vvps requires two cords. I know there are very small UD's, but the nano is surprisingly small in real life. One of the most common comments from new users is surprise about the small size. Mine is about the size of a redbull can, but about 2/3 the height.

Thanks @Walter Bishop ! Beat me to it! One of these days I'll remember to refresh before typing.

EDIT: added for reply...
I don't own a E-NANO, but I feel like I would miss the nylon stems I use in my UnderDogs. I really like the how they fit right into the metal stem in the dog. I rarely use the glass gong and I thought that would be what I would mainly use. I just prefer the inside vs outside stems and the nylon work great with 14mm glass pieces. I always use a VVPS. I like the control over the temps. I have experienced the best customer service ever with them. I don't think you'll regret either one, but I like having more options with the UnderDog.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm not saying the nylon is a bad thing or that it leeches at all in use, but I'd rather not have to think about such things. Another reason I got the nano is that everything is glass and stainless. I had enough of silicone and other such things with my EQ, and don't think the UD had any option besides silicone connection when I was looking a couple years ago. Pretty sure there was also glue used inside then, too. So now, it seems that UD made changes to alleviate such fears. A great thing! And, nothing against Dave or UD, but pretty sure the glass stems are essentially a copy of what Epic was doing with the nano to stay competitive with those of us who will not vape through silicone on the heating element. That hookup was what kept me away from considering a UD for a couple years.

Last edited:

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place

No Doubt ! my smallest UD is smaller then a classic JyARz, fit's in a vapman's torch bag with room to spare.

Plus you can run it off a battery pack so it's a true portable.

rolling green

Been through this a few months back and I prefer the UD over the nano (now sold). Every word nickdlow said is spot on. love the uniqueness of all the pups whether it be a Chico, twig or a big dog. But the ability to use a glass stem, a SS tip nylon stem or my favorite glass stem with SS tip is unbeatable. I have a voltage keeper but the voltage straight from the wall is a perfect 12v. I only use the VK as an on/off switch. To me, the nano feels off the rack cookie cutterish and the UD felt like it was custom fitted. And underdog and dogette offer THE best customer service, I don't think there's an argument on that.
Still waiting for my SS core HI to come (any day now) but for now and for me the UD is king.

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
I prefer the VVPS or wall wort cord for both HI and UD. The Nano cord is bulky in comparison. Also you can get a higher voltage wall wart and do a step up/step down with an inline LED Dimmer for those pups. I use this combo with my HI, bc it gets too hot at 12 volts so I just connect the inline dimmer and voila! I use my battery powered chargers and VVPS (can't wait til I get my battery VK) on my Dogs bc I like to start out at 11.2 but go all the way to 12.8 sometimes, also very useful when warming them up.

Edit- just be forewarned 13 volts is entering the Danger Zone and 14+ is that zone! Make sure if using a step up step down that the dimmer is off first then rotate up, or set at a specific setting.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
After all this discussion about stem options, I finally went and looked at what UD is currently offering on their site. Haven't gone and dug through the thread, but am I missing something? It looks like the only option for an 18mm GonG attachment is a NONG (stainless to nylon). Is this correct?

Does the nylon stick to ground glass like silicone would?

Is the stainless bowl temperature stable? Or, does it fluctuaute in use? Would think with faster heating and cooling times of SS this could be a little less stable than glass.

Again.. different strokes for different folks, but IMO pretty hard to beat the simple glass design of Epic. Short glass stem with one end for nano, other standard GonG (in 14mm or 18mm). Pop in a basket screen and add a silicone sleeve outside to prevent finger burning, and is simple perfection.

Couple of other differences I noticed while checking the site. Maybe someone can confirm (or clear up if wrong).

The UD O ring for core is to set a stop for outside diameter glass? Without stop you could lower until top of heat port hits your load? nano stop is built in.

If I wanted to go all glass to any of my 18mm female bubbs I would have to get the 14mm glass GonG and use the O ring as a stop? Then use a reducer (18mm to 14) on my bubbler. Is this correct?

UD 15 - 25 minute heat up time? nano 5 or so if set to 10 on dial for 4 minutes, then drop to desired temp for 1 more. Or, 10 - 15 minutes if just set to vaping temp. Can you use VVPS to kick up voltage for quick UD heat, then drop to vaping level and be there in 5? Not much of an issue with most for home use if you leave it on, but adds to portability of nano, IMO. I can be ready to vape within 5 minutes of plugging it in - wherever I plug it in.

UD warranty of 1 or 2 years depending on vape, but warranty on electronics (wall wort I assume) of only 90 days? nano lifetime warranty on all components if purchased using FC discount code (10%) of FCLOVE (including cord/dial).

It's cool that there are so many options, and they have so many accessories for use, but kind of surprised there isn't a simple stem, or GonG attachment that is all glass and doesn't require an O ring. To each his own, but I've got plenty of toys to play with and like to keep my stems/GonGs simple. Plenty of other variables to adjust your vaping experience with either I would think (assuming VVPS power).

Also very cool that you get 4 stems with UD (nano only includes stock glass stem with adjustable screen), plus the underbudder and other stuff. But FWIW, think I'd rather have the solid all glass nano GonG and my $5 lifetime supply of beeswax from Amazon wasn't an issue.

One other thing that may have been covered in the UD thread. I noticed the basket screens (copied from Epic I believe) are all shown with basket side towards vape in pics on site. IME these work much better and are easier to dump and clean if you flip them so flat side is towards vape.

MrStrickland

I'm on my phone so I can't go point by point but a few things I noticed right away.

Heat up time of the UD varies greatly with size and materials. My little twig of pheasantwood is ready to go in about 8-10 mins (and it gets left on 24/7 except when I take it somewhere). You can definitely use a vvps to get to temperature quicker, and you can use a dimmer (or vvps) to leave it at a lower temp and bring it up quite quickly.

As for stem options, I got 8 with mine so I've tried out basically every option they have. They have long+short gongs, long and short nongs and direct draw glass stems. If you want an all glass pathway, it's just as easy with the UD as the nano (except in regards to the 14mm to 18mm adapter you mentioned, more on that later). I have no idea what the orings are for unfortunately, although I use mine with no o ring and it seems to work as it should. Even with a bubbler I have no need for the oring. The nylon sits perfectly in a ground glass connector (no sticking). There are 18mm nongs but I think you'd have to use an adapter from 14mm to 18mm for the gong. I too prefer glass, but the nongs are the most material efficient stem I've ever used.

I can't argue with a lifetime warranty, that's pretty good. UD will rebuild other log vapes and rebuild your old underdog as well, I don't know if epic offers that service.

I'm not able to navigate to the epic vape site right now to compare anymore, it's giving me an ssl error. One thing I have noticed in the past though is underdog does a better job making one aware of the different styles and materials available which is something some will appreciate more than others. I can definitely see there are also a lot of people who want a one size fits all set it and forget it.

Last edited:

SSVUN~YAH

Does the nylon stick to ground glass like silicone
Nope

I thought the same about the nano gong with built in lock or catch, but I actually prefer Alan's WonG's and the UD GonG and NonG more than my EV GonG (been selling them off). The Nano gong doesn't work with either HI or UD except for my all glass nano gong, there is a bit of play and allows me to use them universal. My NonG's only work with my HI & UD basically all their parts are interchangeable. My HI WonG's and UD GonG's are universal between all three vapes, no catch or lock just hover, so they have been receiving the most use followed by the NonG and EV all glass.

basket screens (copied from Epic I believe
Arizer possibly?

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
@flotntoke I often use the direct draw glass UD stem and a woodroasting tube from Alan and don't have an O-ring in either of my UDs, they are only an optional accesory and using one is a matter of personal preference but not a necessity by any means as far as I can see. They're sorta a pretty new addition and haven't read a whole lot about anyone Needing one yet in the underdog thread.

Last edited:

rolling green

The o-ring's intention is not a stop. It is to offer a different seal when using glass outside core stems. Can it act like a stop, yes but with or without it the star washer around the core acts as the stop for outside core stems. Material does not touch the core although if some material gets loose or falls it will sit on the core's screen. I have spilled some on the core screen before but it did not burn or smoke.

As far as basket screens I prefer the basket to face the core. I feel like the basket acts, well, like a basket. When you take the first hit the material seems to to stick together and material stay more secure. I also like to use the basket as a way to measure how much material I load. I don't like anything more than a basket full.

NickDlow

Log Hog
After all this discussion about stem options, I finally went and looked at what UD is currently offering on their site. Haven't gone and dug through the thread, but am I missing something? It looks like the only option for an 18mm GonG attachment is a NONG (stainless to nylon). Is this correct?

Does the nylon stick to ground glass like silicone would?

Is the stainless bowl temperature stable? Or, does it fluctuaute in use? Would think with faster heating and cooling times of SS this could be a little less stable than glass.

Again.. different strokes for different folks, but IMO pretty hard to beat the simple glass design of Epic. Short glass stem with one end for nano, other standard GonG (in 14mm or 18mm). Pop in a basket screen and add a silicone sleeve outside to prevent finger burning, and is simple perfection.

Couple of other differences I noticed while checking the site. Maybe someone can confirm (or clear up if wrong).

The UD O ring for core is to set a stop for outside diameter glass? Without stop you could lower until top of heat port hits your load? nano stop is built in.

If I wanted to go all glass to any of my 18mm female bubbs I would have to get the 14mm glass GonG and use the O ring as a stop? Then use a reducer (18mm to 14) on my bubbler. Is this correct?

UD 15 - 25 minute heat up time? nano 5 or so if set to 10 on dial for 4 minutes, then drop to desired temp for 1 more. Or, 10 - 15 minutes if just set to vaping temp. Can you use VVPS to kick up voltage for quick UD heat, then drop to vaping level and be there in 5? Not much of an issue with most for home use if you leave it on, but adds to portability of nano, IMO. I can be ready to vape within 5 minutes of plugging it in - wherever I plug it in.

UD warranty of 1 or 2 years depending on vape, but warranty on electronics (wall wort I assume) of only 90 days? nano lifetime warranty on all components if purchased using FC discount code (10%) of FCLOVE (including cord/dial).

It's cool that there are so many options, and they have so many accessories for use, but kind of surprised there isn't a simple stem, or GonG attachment that is all glass and doesn't require an O ring. To each his own, but I've got plenty of toys to play with and like to keep my stems/GonGs simple. Plenty of other variables to adjust your vaping experience with either I would think (assuming VVPS power).

Also very cool that you get 4 stems with UD (nano only includes stock glass stem with adjustable screen), plus the underbudder and other stuff. But FWIW, think I'd rather have the solid all glass nano GonG and my $5 lifetime supply of beeswax from Amazon wasn't an issue.

One other thing that may have been covered in the UD thread. I noticed the basket screens (copied from Epic I believe) are all shown with basket side towards vape in pics on site. IME these work much better and are easier to dump and clean if you flip them so flat side is towards vape.

The o-ring isn't 'required', it's just one more way to adjust temp by adjusting distance from the screen. The core isn't as deep as the nano so it doesn't go in to far if u don't use an o-ring. As far as gongs, I've been told they haven't found an 18mm glass design they like which is why they offer only 14mm gongs. You also get the 4 stem/gong/NonG choices.

Also the magic of they nylon stem/NonG isn't SS vs glass, it's how concentrated the air path is for hot air. Also the nong uses HALF OR LESS herbal material as a nano gong or even a UD gong for that matter.

UD has also starting coming out with a low mass core which provides a quicker heat up time, which isn't a selling point for me with a plug in tbh. But it also retains heat more efficiently.

Here you go, $6 n now ur UD has a dimmer like a nano lol. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D69CTI8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a feeling if I contacted Dave in 5 years with a problem I doubt I would even have, I'm sure it would be handled no questions asked. But a lifetime warranty in print is very reassuring, I will agree.

And screen direction, that's just personal preference (mine are basket toward vape) so I don't see how that has any influence on this lol. Also, does it really matter who decided to bend a flat screen? Not trying to be a dick, I'm just saying.

This thread could go on forever without a clear cut winner. Its all about your own preference imo.

Last edited:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Thanks for all the quick replies and answers to my questions! All great information.

Very glad to hear (for others' sakes) that O ring isn't a necessity, but an addition. That seemed really weird! Must have misunderstood what they say about them on their website. Just took another look and still seems a bit confusing in the description.

Am now a bit intrigued by the NONGs, and may have to check them out when I get a HI, but still think glass is hard to beat.

Wasn't aware Arizer uses a basket screen like this in anything, unless you're referring to what I now usually call a "hat" screen or "elbow" screen as used with the EQ in the elbow. Guess it could be considered the same, but much different in use and design IMO and that obviously made to fit inside the opening of an 18mm GonG and hang on the lip. Could be wrong, but think Epic was first to use this type of basket screen for an adjustable load space. A game changer for me, and would think could be used to adjust distance from heat just as well with either UD or nano (or HI for that matter). Does it really matter who came up with them? No. But, since this is a "VS" thread I figured I'd throw it out there. I do know I was glad to have mine (first shipped to me and other nano-ers as a surprise gift) long before UD had them available. So, this part may come more under customer service and innovation than "in use" for anyone buying now, but still a point worth consideration.

Agree that they do work well either way, pretty much exactly the same IME, but stay cleaner if used flat side towards vape. And, not too sure about using them for measuring a load. The ones I have don't necessarily have uniform sides (different depths) and I seldom load that much for nano. My loads in stem are usually a little thinner than a nickle. But, flat side towards vape makes it much easier to keep them clean in use and to dump load because material doesn't get stuck to sides. You can also roast them up with high heat and blow them out for a quick dirty clean in place. And, is easier to give a good cleaning if the material stays on the flat side. No need to scrub and possibly distort the sides. I ISO for an hour or so, quick scrub on the face with a toothbrush, rinse well with hot water. Didn't mean this in post above as a comparison of nano over UD. You can obviously flip them whichever way you want with either. Know there are nano users who use them basket side towards vape, too. Just putting it out there to help all get the most from them with least effort, whether they are in nano, UD or anything else. Also again since this is a "VS" thread, found it kind of interesting (and humorous) that UD has them "backwards" while the innovator/designer of these has them the other way in pictures on his website.

Epic site was down earlier. Looks like for site updates. Know they have been working on that recently. Check out the new site if you can. Looks pretty cool at first glance!

@MrStrickland , think I'm a little confused with what you say about heat up time being dependent on size of UD or type of wood. I'm not too concerned about the wood getting hot enough. nano (and would guess any log) does make a nice handwarmer, but was referring to ready to vape. Don't think it would matter if the core is in a log sized log (1' across) or a UD twig, the heat time for it to be ready to produce vapor should stay pretty much the same, right?

This thread could go on forever without a clear cut winner. Its all about your own preference imo.

Oh... definitely. Imagine it will be locked down soon! Both are close in a lot of ways. But, there are small differences. I'd really love to have a UD for a solid head to head comparison. Would probably feel the same about trying a nano if I owned a UD. Just really don't see the need for both, and am pretty sure any other vape I get isn't going to push the nano to the same closet the EQ now lives in. Would probably be the same if I owned a UD.

For me, personally, with the experience I have? nano wins hands down. For others, I can see why they love their UDs. Things being where they are now with both, I'd probably still opt for the nano just looking at what is in this thread and other info on FC. Why? Ready to go with adjustable temps right out of the box. Native AC power. Easy all glass adapters. But, I'm not personally too excited about different cylinder shapes or sizes - and nano exotics (or made with your own exotic wood) give plenty of great options for me. If the size shape differences float your boat, or you like to play with stems and aren't as concerned about all glass connections, I could see how UD would be your preferred choice.

MrStrickland

@MrStrickland , think I'm a little confused with what you say about heat up time being dependent on size of UD or type of wood. I'm not too concerned about the wood getting hot enough. nano (and would guess any log) does make a nice handwarmer, but was referring to ready to vape. Don't think it would matter if the core is in a log sized log (1' across) or a UD twig, the heat time for it to be ready to produce vapor should stay pretty much the same, right?
Maybe I'm wrong (it happens) but I'm pretty sure that the bigger the underdog, the more time it takes to get up to temp. So what I was saying was my twigs heat up time (ready to vape) may be shorter than a larger dog.

Here's what Dave said in the UD thread a while ago when I asked him

Size and wood density will affect operating temp and heat up time to a small (but detectable) degree. Larger sizes and higher densities result in a slight operating temp drop and slightly longer heat up time. That being said in smaller sized Dogs (like Twigs) those effects are considerably less noticeable than in full size pieces.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/underdog-vaporizer.4214/page-362#post-745844

I think the 20-25 minutes you're referring to might be in the older models overall though, I also remember reading something where the heatup time has been improved with revisions. I probably shouldn't have used the phrase "varies greatly", rather that there is a detectable difference.

Last edited:

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Basket screens have been around for years, longer then either Epicvape or UnderDog or maybe even vaporizers as we know 'em.

But I have no idea who started selling them pre-made as "basket screens" first in the vape market, I do know underdog used to sell a kit(a wooden dowel and piece of silicone tubing) to make your own when epicvape still only made the EV-2.

Last edited:

AhBeVapin

Mindful Member Wellness User
Hey now,
Towards the end of 2014, when my VAS became more organic, @ACE OF VAPE and his team were the only log guys who would ship to Canada. Decision made. I had to cut back on my flower purchases for a bit, tightened up the household budget. I just got mine on Tuesday, you won't be disappointed.

UD has since opened up shipping here on a case by case basis. Needless to say I'm working through the household budget again to find the funds. At least the Nano aids tremendously on the flowers front.
AVB out

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Basket screens have been around for years, longer then either epicvape or e-nano or maybe even vaporizers as we know 'em.

But I have no idea who started selling them pre-made as "basket screens" first in the vape market, I do know underdog used to sell a kit(a wooden dowel and piece of silicone tubing) to make your own when epicvape still only made the EV-2.

Thanks for the correction! Maybe Epic is the first to sell them as an adjustable screen to use in glass tube? Wouldn't think that was necessary with silicone to attach to heat port. Would figure you could set a flat screen where you liked in silicone set up. What I do know is that being able to set screen distance in a glass tube is a great innovation that allows for worthwhile tweaking.

Hey now,
Towards the end of 2014, when my VAS became more organic, @ACE OF VAPE and his team were the only log guys who would ship to Canada. Decision made. I had to cut back on my flower purchases for a bit, tightened up the household budget. I just got mine on Tuesday, you won't be disappointed.

UD has since opened up shipping here on a case by case basis. Needless to say I'm working through the household budget again to find the funds. At least the Nano aids tremendously on the flowers front.
AVB out

Had forgotten about this one in my run down of why I prefer nano! Not really a concern for me, but Epic ships the nano not only to Canada - but pretty sure worldwide. Know they ship to Europe and Asia. Antartica? Don't know.

SSVUN~YAH

Just really don't see the need for both,
I thought that at first too, but having more logs around is very comforting indeed! They are all unique and setting at different temps is ohh so fun! The fact that you can hook up a cheap tiny 18650 portable log charger or a VK and go anywhere you want is a game changer though, that I think you would really enjoy! Going camping portable logs, electric goes out portable logs, stuck at in laws portable logs, I think you get what I mean. Since you've mastered the Nano the UD should go hand in hand!

Last edited:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
I thought that at first too, but having more logs around is very comforting indeed! They are all unique and setting at different temps is ohh so fun! The fact that you can hook up a tiny 18650 charger or a VK and go anywhere you want is a game changer though, that I think you would really enjoy! Going camping portable logs, electric goes out portable logs, stuck at in laws portable logs, I think you get what I mean. Since you've mastered the Nano the UD should go hand in hand!

Oh I wish I could afford (or justify I should say) a collection like yours!! Love all of your logs and drool at the pics often.

I'm not totally against getting a UD, and will keep my eye out on the classifieds for one that catches my fancy. Right now just waiting for my turn on the HI list and thinking about adding a very exotic nano to the mix. Even that will be overkill. No way I'm ever getting rid of my current nano. It's just that kind of relationship! :luv:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom