Fridsade

Ive had 2 Gaias since October. The first one had a over heating problem I assume since the chamber burnt and turned black and all my avb was coming out black no matter what temp. I also noticed it would get extrmemely hot in my hands i had to switch hands. Flavor was same all across any temp and had a burnt taste. I sent it back (bought from the linx website) and their customer service was on point.

I was very pleased with the replacement they sent me. Flavor was nice depending on bud and avb came out nice dark toaaty brown. But im dissapointed as 1 week in and the power buttom seems to get stuck and now it seems as if its permentantly stuck. I really dont want to wait again for a replacement and im worriedthe 3rd replacement might be defective as well.

Fridsade,
Reactions: potriot

Durban

HI all,

Just wanted to give an update here now that I have owned the Gaia for a bit more than 3 months. Generally I've been very happy with the unit.

It may be useful to first reply to my own questions from a few months back.. Just in case others might have the same questions.

- They say the new version is now almost 100% convection. How is this possible without changing the entire interior of the unit? I mean it's still the quartz (conduction) oven right? Where does the heated air come from now then? And how does this affect the quality of the unit? It seems to me that if this is almost pure convection+quartz chamber+isolated air path+glass vapor path it's almost too good to be true..

It's still a bit of a mystery to me, but I do believe the unit is mostly convection now. Why do I think that? Well, I can easily fill her up only halfway, take 2 or 3 draws on low temperature, and turn the unit off. Next day (or next week) herbs are still fresh, truly looking as if 2 or 3 draws have been taken, and still plenty left. If I've understood conduction well, it would just smoulder on, not leaving much for a next session a few days later (correct me if I'm wrong)

- How can one tell if the unit is the new version? I would need to buy it in a webshop, but I wouldn't buy the gold version. So how can I tell they're not selling me the older black version, as if it were a new one?

I've emailed Linx about this, and basically there's 2 ways of knowing if it's a new or old version:
1: Filter screens: the old one didn't have them, the new one does
2: Threading on the mouthpiece. The old one had about 5 layers of (thinner) threading, the new one one 2 or 3 thicker ones. Note that I have only seen the new one, so can't be sure of this for 100%.

So in general very pleased.. Vapor tastes very pure and especially at the lower temps (170/180 celcius) very smooth. Higher temps (200 celsius) can be a bit more harsh. I have done some burn offs at the beginning and I feel like taste was quite (maybe not 100%) neutral. In contrary to a comment I read above, I feel like taste of the herb is being conserved pretty well.

The air path is not 100% isolated, which can be tested by tapping the air inlet and then blow in the unit: I feel air coming out of the usb port. I do think that under normal circumstances no air will be really drawn in through there. Vapor path is isolated of course, which I think is most important.

Only one time I've felt the unit become very hot. That was in a group session, and unit had been on for 3 or 4 consecutive sessions, if I remember well at 200 Celcius. I won't be doing that no more, since I think it may affect battery health on the long run. I now do 2 sessions in a row max (or let it cool down in between if I want a 3rd one, which is very rare)

About battery life: I think I can between 10-15 sessions out of it, but I usually charge back to full after 4 or so. Shallow discharges are better for lithium ion batteries :)

So to wrap it up... very pleased, have not gone back to combustion even once, yet have been p r e t t y hiiiii

Durban,
Reactions: Jill NYC

E. A. Ridgill

Manufacturer
HI all,

Just wanted to give an update here now that I have owned the Gaia for a bit more than 3 months. Generally I've been very happy with the unit.

It may be useful to first reply to my own questions from a few months back.. Just in case others might have the same questions.

It's still a bit of a mystery to me, but I do believe the unit is mostly convection now. Why do I think that? Well, I can easily fill her up only halfway, take 2 or 3 draws on low temperature, and turn the unit off. Next day (or next week) herbs are still fresh, truly looking as if 2 or 3 draws have been taken, and still plenty left. If I've understood conduction well, it would just smoulder on, not leaving much for a next session a few days later (correct me if I'm wrong)

I've emailed Linx about this, and basically there's 2 ways of knowing if it's a new or old version:
1: Filter screens: the old one didn't have them, the new one does
2: Threading on the mouthpiece. The old one had about 5 layers of (thinner) threading, the new one one 2 or 3 thicker ones. Note that I have only seen the new one, so can't be sure of this for 100%.

So in general very pleased.. Vapor tastes very pure and especially at the lower temps (170/180 celcius) very smooth. Higher temps (200 celsius) can be a bit more harsh. I have done some burn offs at the beginning and I feel like taste was quite (maybe not 100%) neutral. In contrary to a comment I read above, I feel like taste of the herb is being conserved pretty well.

The air path is not 100% isolated, which can be tested by tapping the air inlet and then blow in the unit: I feel air coming out of the usb port. I do think that under normal circumstances no air will be really drawn in through there. Vapor path is isolated of course, which I think is most important.

Only one time I've felt the unit become very hot. That was in a group session, and unit had been on for 3 or 4 consecutive sessions, if I remember well at 200 Celcius. I won't be doing that no more, since I think it may affect battery health on the long run. I now do 2 sessions in a row max (or let it cool down in between if I want a 3rd one, which is very rare)

About battery life: I think I can between 10-15 sessions out of it, but I usually charge back to full after 4 or so. Shallow discharges are better for lithium ion batteries :)

So to wrap it up... very pleased, have not gone back to combustion even once, yet have been p r e t t y hiiiii

Hi Durban, thanks for your kind words and we are very pleased you are enjoying the Gaia. Glad to have you in the Linx Family. Please feel free to reach out with any questions. Thanks brotha
Stay Up

9.Fingers

Health Conscious Guru
Does anyone still use the Linx Gaia as their daily driver? The Linx Gaia was something I always wanted, and something I always wanted to believe in, but I hear lots of people only have their unit for a couple of days or weeks and then it stops working. I see plenty of people are still ordering the device and giving it 5 stars thru the retailers website. I am at the point now where I have about four hundred to invest in a vape, and I want something that is going to last. Thanks for any and all feedback!

P.S. I tend to get paranoid when using a plastic vapes thinking I inhaled off-gassing or melted plastic, so the Linx Gaia seems perfect for me

9.Fingers,

Fridsade

Does anyone still use the Linx Gaia as their daily driver? The Linx Gaia was something I always wanted, and something I always wanted to believe in, but I hear lots of people only have their unit for a couple of days or weeks and then it stops working. I see plenty of people are still ordering the device and giving it 5 stars thru the retailers website. I am at the point now where I have about four hundred to invest in a vape, and I want something that is going to last. Thanks for any and all feedback!

P.S. I tend to get paranoid when using a plastic vapes thinking I inhaled off-gassing or melted plastic, so the Linx Gaia seems perfect for me

The Gaia is good for daily use. Ive used it daily for about a month then it died on me. I love everything about the Gaia and for 160 is not bad but now ive had 2 Gaia with problems. 1 overheating battery and the second power button stuck pushed-in.. im annoyed i have to sens this one back too.

if you have 400 to drop look into the Mighty or the Crafty..

Fridsade,

analytika

The Gaia is good for daily use. Ive used it daily for about a month then it died on me. I love everything about the Gaia and for 160 is not bad but now ive had 2 Gaia with problems. 1 overheating battery and the second power button stuck pushed-in.. im annoyed i have to sens this one back too.

if you have 400 to drop look into the Mighty or the Crafty..
Mighty is readily available for under 300 now.

analytika,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I've had a Gaia since Christmas and I'm having trouble choosing it because it's so much less efficient and effective than the Fury 2. More recently I'm trying to just go ahead and pack a full load to help it out. Even with the oven full and the temp up over 400 I've found the draws to be less effective than the same strain in the Fury 2. I find the performance disappointing since I'm too light a user to vape a full load in one session so the full pack entails some half vaped material down the road. The resistance on mine is also too restricted and I often find the mouthpiece blocked by ground herb when I open it up.

I also detected an odd odor yesterday that couldn't be from the strain considering I'd just had part of the same ground bud the day before in a different vape. I've used the Gaia a dozen times now so it shouldn't be a burn in issue, right?

I know there aren't too many variables in play here but I figured I'd ask in case anyone had suggestions. I do enjoy the flavor and my unit works as it should apart from that weird smell. It just doesn't rip like I want it to and that has me wondering if something is up.

Last edited:

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
After thinking about the extent to which my Fury 2 experience is hybrid as opposed to convection, I tried running the Gaia at 420 and 428 and had my most effective session yet. I'm guessing the quartz oven just doesn't create as much hybrid heat as the Fury 2, which recently toasted some herb just sitting on the table with no draws taken (oops).

So the Gaia is back in my good graces. I'm gonna try to appreciate it for what it is and enjoy the smoother draws and better flavor as opposed to grading it only on efficiency and effectiveness compared to the Fury 2.

analytika

I don't see many weed Vapes in the wild in the Bay Area, where public cannabis smoking/vaping is technically illegal (CA law).

Eye spyed a Gaia at a BART stop in the East Bay last weekend!

Looked up after strong smell of (exhaled) Ganja passed my way.

Funny, for a covert box-moddy vape, I (not an owner) recognized the Gaia immediately!

Last edited:

ryanjhnsn180

My first vaporizer was the previous incarnation of the Gaia. Used it pretty regularly (I don’t vape often) and never had any issue to speak of.

I traded it in for the new version and have to admit I’m disappointed. The mouthpiece rattles and the power button gets stuck/doesn’t always work right. Just feels cheaper than the old version honestly. Hopefully it’s a fluke, but by the sound of recent posts, the power buttons in the new version might have an issue. Kind of kicking myself for trading in the old one.

Anyway, I sent Linx an email about it, so we’ll see how it goes.

ryanjhnsn180,

hinglemccringleberry

My first vaporizer was the previous incarnation of the Gaia. Used it pretty regularly (I don’t vape often) and never had any issue to speak of.

I traded it in for the new version and have to admit I’m disappointed. The mouthpiece rattles and the power button gets stuck/doesn’t always work right. Just feels cheaper than the old version honestly. Hopefully it’s a fluke, but by the sound of recent posts, the power buttons in the new version might have an issue. Kind of kicking myself for trading in the old one.

Anyway, I sent Linx an email about it, so we’ll see how it goes.
Thats unfortunate.. what about the vapor? Can you tell that the new Gaia supposedly has more convection compared to the old? Or is the vapor the same between the two?

hinglemccringleberry,

ryanjhnsn180

I can’t tell a difference in vapor, but keep in mind I haven’t used the new one very much at this point.

ryanjhnsn180,

Foretwintee

I'm getting an electrical burning smell, no visible smoke, from the air intake of my Gaia. Any ideas what could be? Known issue?

Foretwintee,

NAMZUGED

I'm getting an electrical burning smell, no visible smoke, from the air intake of my Gaia. Any ideas what could be? Known issue?

Def an electrical smell/taste... plus it gives a semi burn in my nasal passages for some strange reason.

Cust service said in an email to me that “it should go away after use”.

I’ve gone through a minimum of 15 oven packs through the device, and it still has the electrical taste smell.

How is everyone liking their Gaia? I'm debating buying this.

It’s great when you want to be discreet. I use it to maintain, not to elevate.

If used primarily to elevate, you’ll end up toasting your throat... and you’ll get annoyed loading, unloading, and reloading the chamber several times to get you where you want to be.

The Gaia is perfect for the micro doser.

If you’re looking for something to get you a nice small elevation to get through the workday without smelling obvious, the Gaia is PERFECT for you.

If you’re looking for a combustion alternative with an equivalent effect, the GAIA is NOT the device for you.

I use my Gaia daily, but I have to pair it with other methods to get what I want out of it.

NAMZUGED,

Foretwintee

Def an electrical smell/taste... plus it gives a semi burn in my nasal passages for some strange reason.

Cust service said in an email to me that “it should go away after use”.

I’ve gone through a minimum of 15 oven packs through the device, and it still has the electrical taste smell.

It’s great when you want to be discreet. I use it to maintain, not to elevate.

If used primarily to elevate, you’ll end up toasting your throat... and you’ll get annoyed loading, unloading, and reloading the chamber several times to get you where you want to be.

The Gaia is perfect for the micro doser.

If you’re looking for something to get you a nice small elevation to get through the workday without smelling obvious, the Gaia is PERFECT for you.

If you’re looking for a combustion alternative with an equivalent effect, the GAIA is NOT the device for you.

I use my Gaia daily, but I have to pair it with other methods to get what I want out of it.

The electrical smell took a while to go away but what helped is tiny abv dust was collecting inside..i stuck a pipe cleaner in there and did a bunch of empty heat burn offs and blew in bottom hole

Foretwintee,

NAMZUGED

Linx agreed to buy my Gaia back from me.

Question is...

Should I return it and buy a more powerful unit like the Mighty?

Is the Mighty worth $150 more than the Gaia?

The Gaia’s performance is just so sub par in my opinion.

Thoughts?

NAMZUGED,

Foretwintee

Linx agreed to buy my Gaia back from me.

Question is...

Should I return it and buy a more powerful unit like the Mighty?

Is the Mighty worth $150 more than the Gaia?

The Gaia’s performance is just so sub par in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Keep rid of it. The hassle of using it isn't worth it. There are other portables that are easier to use and have less issues.

Do you want on demand style or session style? I can say that after using many vapes now...buy a Tier 1 Vape first ( Mighty, Crafty, Ghost etc) and then buy a cheaper backup later.

One exception is the Airvape X..... I bought 1 for 150 and the other for 99. This vape is awesome as all hell but the battery life sucks because of the slim design. I use a top screen on the bowl. Thing can milk up a bong nicely.

Foretwintee,

hinglemccringleberry

Im starting to think that the best use for the Gaia is for vaporizing alternative herbs (lavender, peppermint,etc) because it gives very neutral & pure flavor on a fresh load. And of course precise temp control is needed for vaping other herbs. But for cannabis the Gaia is just too inefficient IMO.

Last edited:
hinglemccringleberry,

Foretwintee

Im starting to think that the best use for the Gaia is for vaporizing alternative herbs (lavender, peppermint,etc) because it gives very neutral & pure flavor on a fresh load. And of course precise temp control is needed for vaping other herbs. But for cannabis the Gaia is just too inefficient IMO.

It's not a bad vape but it's a hassle. Sometimes the right strain tastes great but there is this weird "alive" taste it. Vape critic called it Unmellow

Foretwintee,

NAMZUGED

Update on my experience!

With a fresh bowl, I start the device at 415. As it heats up, I start priming the line (like one would when cyphering gasoline from a car) until I see vapor coming out between breaths. Usually takes about 20 seconds from heat start up.

Now the device is ready for you to take big rips.

I also find that when vapor production gets low (usually midway through the second 4 min session of the freshly packed bowl), that it’s best to prime the line again with 4 or 5 rapid short swift hard 1-2 second breaths. I found that it clears the gunky rosin from the mouthpiece’s filter, making it easier to get the thicker fuller clouds.

On the third and forth 4 min sessions, I turn it up to 420. 415 usually isn’t hot enough to pull good visible clouds on the third session of bowl 1.

By the 5th session of bowl 1, I turn it up to 425. Priming is a must to circulate the heat through the bowl at this point. Session 5 is usually when flavor has diminished and starts tasting like burnt popcorn/tobacco.

By session 6, I’m over the burnt’ish taste and vapor production is near nothing. I usually kill it midway through, dump out the product, and start the process all over again.

Six 4 min sessions off of 1 bowl is a sure way to stretch your product.

I’ve learned that it takes about TWENTY 4 minute sessions for the metallic taste to go away from brand new.

I’ve learned that you must degunk the mouthpiece/filters regularly during and between sessions.

The device is a pain in the butt to get used to. Such a simple elegant design shouldn’t be so hard to learn to use efficiently. Maybe this is normal for a dry herb vaporizer, the Gaia is my first.

If you don’t mind a learning curve and learning a technique to maximize the device’s performance, then the Gaia isn’t all that bad.

If you’re expecting a fire it up and rip type device, the Gaia is not for you.

So, would I buy it all over again?

Probably not. But if I did, it would be like a C player device.

Foretwintee

I "prime" differently. I do a full 4 min session at 350f...then a full 410f session, then a full 420f.....

As far as the gunk, put a screen on top and bottom of your bowl. It's amazing how much less I have to clean when I use screens.

Foretwintee,
Top Bottom