Discontinued The Timber Elite by Vapwood

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I just heard from Alan, buttons are being made without too much hassle. Once the buttons arrive, I should have everything I need to build a fully functional Elite. I'm pretty excited about it. My six attempts at wood bodies will probably just make the junk heap, even though they did come out pretty good. Lots of lessons learned, and I'm ready to start from scratch. But even with all this, nothing can happen until build a shit load of coils. I've just said this over in the Classic thread, it's time to form some coils.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Elite buttons for the cover plate are on the way, but I am putting the Elite aside until this batch of Classics is shipped. Once shipped, serious Elite production will begin. The Elite *waiting list* is currently being established. Anyone who's already placed a pre-order should receive their Elite in January. It'll cost you 50 bucks to get on the wait list, and this ensures a spot. The first waiting list orders will be filled in February 2019. I anticipate being able to build about 10 Elites per month, while keeping up with Classics, if demand is there.

Vapeur Rogue

Est. 2013- Never Lookin' Back
Elite buttons for the cover plate are on the way, but I am putting the Elite aside until this batch of Classics is shipped. Once shipped, serious Elite production will begin. The Elite *waiting list* is currently being established. Anyone who's already placed a pre-order should receive their Elite in January. It'll cost you 50 bucks to get on the wait list, and this ensures a spot. The first waiting list orders will be filled in February 2019. I anticipate being able to build about 10 Elites per month, while keeping up with Classics, if demand is there.

Hey!
This is all good news. Do these Jan/Feb orders include blended Elites? No pressure, I'm just curious.

Vapeur Rogue,
Reactions: ataxian

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
The first few won't be blended. I plan going with a small batch of 5 or 6 of the really hard maple and possibly cherry. All walnuts and blends will not be in that first few. I want to stick with the woods that are easiest to work with for the first round. If you're dead set on a Blend, it will not be in the first round. There will be lots of stuff to work out with the initial build, wanna keep everything else simple.

Vapeur Rogue

Est. 2013- Never Lookin' Back
The first few won't be blended. I plan going with a small batch of 5 or 6 of the really hard maple and possibly cherry. All walnuts and blends will not be in that first few. I want to stick with the woods that are easiest to work with for the first round. If you're dead set on a Blend, it will not be in the first round. There will be lots of stuff to work out with the initial build, wanna keep everything else simple.

All fully understandable! I suspected but just wanted to hear it from the source.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Hey All,

I know anticipation is high for the first prototype. I'm finishing up the final Classic batch of 2018, then on to putting it all together on the Elite project. Every aspect of this vape design has been extremely well thought out. The body, without the chip installed, has been designed, and not too far from the current Classic, just a bit wider, same height and width. The board, once mounted to the cover plate, is easily installed into the unit. All the work has been done. UNIT + COVER PLATE = ELITE. This should happen rapidly.

The best way to get ahead of the Elite orders, and not drop $300 right now, is to put $50 down and get on the wait list.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Alan's package of *buttons* arrived, and I dare not open it quite yet. I'm sure they are perfect, but I need a week to finish up. For the first time, I have everything in my shop necessary to build an Elite. I'll be in the shop a lot over the next two weeks, and plan on putting my nose to the grindstone. Wow... the Elite is really about to happen.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Hang in there peeps... Tomorrow I'm going to ship out a big end of year Classic batch, and then it is time for some serious Elite work. I'm looking forward to this project, and all the time and planning will pay off now. Big things to come really soon.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
There are no back ordered Lil' Buds. I am 100 percent caught up and can turn my full attention to the Elite prototype. Today, I'm gonna get out into the wood shop, reacquaint myself with what I've accomplished on the Elite body. First step is to produce a few bodies that can accept the cover plate with board attached. Now that the cover plate and board should function as one unit, pairing the two shouldn't be too complicated. We'll find out over the next few days...

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@Alan 's custom buttons fit perfectly!!! I proceeded to work on 5 bodies, but I've been through this before. I have a really good idea of what has to happen. New vice, better bits, things moving right along.
20190103-165924.jpg

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
So, prototype batch one didn't make the cut. Sometimes the most carefully developed plans fall a hair short in the build. That's what's happened here. I wound up misplacing the tapered joint, setting it back by one mm too close to the battery compartment. It needs to move forward by a mm or so, leaving just 15 mm's of clearance for the mortise that houses DNA board. This provides the clearance I need from below, to be able to bore out for the coil compartment and mounting disk above the wire box (marked with an x).

No worries, I scrapped prototype batch 1, and have six more prototype batch 2 units up to the pre-assembly stage. Once pre-assembled, it's time to cut the DNA board mortise and see what's really happening here. Working in small batches of 5 or 6 allows me to bounce back from mistakes quickly. As much as I'd like to not waste any time and work on one unit at a time, that is just not practical. Seems like somewhere between 4 and six is about right for this stage of production, so as to minimize wasted time and effort.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
And now for something completely different...

Contrasting *wire box*, with grain horizontal grain orientation - looks great (end grain on each side) and solves 2 issues; pairing & drilling end grain, which always makes the switch box a pain in the ass to create, and is exaggerated with the larger wire box. Well, not any more, for both the Classic and Elite.

These six are ready for the DNA75c mortise to be cut, then cover plate built and mounted. I'm thinking PH cover plates for this round.
20190106-164458.jpg

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Grain flip looks great but may not hold up to the mortise for the chip. There is a simple solution in here somewhere for the Elite, but the grain flip will definitely work on the Classic! Two of the six bit the dust. No big deal, this is the process of developing a new product, different mindset, or else you'd go crazy with each attempt. I'll be in the shop ALL week!!!

Last edited:

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Grain flip looks great but may not hold up to the mortise for the chip. There is a simple solution in here somewhere for the Elite, but the grain flip will definitely work on the Classic! Two of the six bit the dust. No big deal, this is the process of developing a new product, different mindset, or else you'd go crazy with each attempt. I'll be in the shop ALL week!!!

Nothing but faith in ya bud, you'll figure it out.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Thanks all...

just a glitch in the evolution of the Elite. I'll be back out there today giving it another go. I have to make every mistake now, and once they're all figured out, it'll be smooth sailing. It's a very different evolution than the Classic a year ago. Workmanship is tight, it is just a matter *the unpredictable* - or things that are hard to foresee just on paper. We'll be back on track today.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
It's time to start thinking about final pricing. As I get the unit together, chip, buttons, cover plate, wire box, I have a much better idea of time and expense. Here's the new price list for the Elite.

Elite Maple: $329
Elite Cherry: $329
Elite Walnut: $349
Elite Blend: $369

Roasting Tubes and Batteries are optional add ons...

To show my gratitude for all the tremendous FC support, coupon code: ELITIST will save you $30, but be sure to enter your FC handle in the appropriate field.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
While I wait on buttons, coils, tubes, blah, blah, blah, I have finalized 5 units in the pre-assembly stage. I'm pretty confident that the specs will hold up, and I'll be able to build five working Elites when all my parts arrive. I've settled on a width (70mm), height (94mm), mortise depths (26 and 13 mm), wire box size and taper placement.

In addition to the ELITIST coupon code saving you $30 if you pay in full, we also are accepting $50 down payments. Pay $50, the rest at shipping (projected end of February).

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Great work on the Elite today. Soldering to the board can be a bit of a challenge, but after a couple, I think I've got the hang of it, which will make this a much easier process. @Alan 's buttons fit perfectly (no surprise). Now, it's a matter tweaking out every little detail - figuring out how wires will run from chip into wire box / battery compartment. The final details of mounting the board to the unit also needs to be figured out. I may need a new and better batch before a prototype gets built. At least I was able to salvage wanna be Elites, into sweet looking Classics. Notice the sweet looking grain on the Cherry switch box.
20190112-162952.jpg

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Elite Functional Prototype #1
The chip is mounted upside down, I need to learn the programming and flip the screen. This puts the fire button in the in the Classic position. I was planning on using set screws to mount the plate but wasn't happy with the fit I was getting. Not sure how that will wind up, but maybe set screws, maybe some type of cool headed screw. searching now. Hitting on it now, quite cool. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from Prototype #1. Hopefully, this unit will teach me exactly what needs to happen to make this thing perfect and start mass producing.

It's official. Lil' Bud Elite by Vapwood - now on sale at vapwood.com
20190113-134126.jpg

Last edited:

nonbeliever

Elite Functional Prototype #1
The chip is mounted upside down, I need to learn the programming and flip the screen. This puts the fire button in the in the Classic position. I was planning on using set screws to mount the plate but wasn't happy with the fit I was getting. Not sure how that will wind up, but maybe set screws, maybe some type of cool headed screw. searching now. Hitting on it now, quite cool. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from Prototype #1. Hopefully, this unit will teach me exactly what needs to happen to make this thing perfect and start mass producing.

It's official. Lil' Bud Elite by Vapwood - now on sale at vapwood.com
20190113-134126.jpg
Congrats on the progress. Looks like a winner!

nonbeliever,
Reactions: P.A.M.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
I guess it's about time to send you a deposit :rockon:

Looking great , Mike , congratulations on the first all-in-one Lil'Bud Elite prototype :clap:

I personally like the screen upside down like that. it might enable to read it while vaping :tup:

How much for the prototype ? :D

It's a beautiful day! Vape on!

Top Bottom